Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Off-Topic
MarioD Online Content OP
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
My niece from the Seattle Washington State area was over here in western New York Sate yesterday and said her phones' McAfee anti-virus is stating that my network was under attack. I checked today as sure enough it was under attack. MS Defender did not pick this up. Fortunately all DoS attacks were stopped at the router. So I advise all of my forum friends to check their routers to make sure that your firmware is up to date and to verify that if you are under attack that all attacks are stopped.

From what I have read DoS attacks are very common and virtually impossible to block. A DoS attack does try to steal anything but it does flood your network and slows everything down to a crawl. But if one did get through whom knows what else can get through. Yea I am that paranoid with it comes to hackers.

I just thought that I would pass this on as Defender didn't pick up these attacks.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Thanks. Routers are a good target for attacks because people don't change the default names and passwords.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Good point, and the default names and passwords are generally used consistently across all manufacturers and models. Big no-no to leave the defaults.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
MarioD Online Content OP
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Yes, very good point. I think because I changed the default passwords the hackers did not get through. I think that it is very sad that MS Defender did not let me know I was under attack while it's anti-virus competition did! Maybe it is time to change anti-virus programs?

Has anyone's anti-virus program warned you that you were under attack? I'm curious because if I change I would go to one that did warn me, even it was daily.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
+1 on the never keep the default passwords.

No, I've never had a DoS attack (thankfully)

Defender gets very low scores in the protection category on Win10 computers
https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/
according to AVTest, the site my computer pro recommends. It shares the basement with Comodo in that category.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
From what I've read over the decades, all computers are pretty much always under attack. The very first thing I do when building a new computer is install or activate the anti-malware. Almost as soon as it is connected, it takes unknown traffic from the Internet.

But these unsecured routers are just a free gift to hackers.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Malware Anti-Exploit has been an additional safety for me.
Several times it warned me of Crap when using my Firefox browser.

Again looking at music goodies.

It is free, or for $25 per year bit better.

Take care cool blush cry tired

FrankB

Down The Street vs2015 12-03-2014
Win7, AMD QuadA8-5500,16GB,2TeraHD, Komplete 10
PG Ultra Plus 2016,Alesis 12USB, Sonar Platinum
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I recently got back from a tax seminar in Vegas and this year a good 45 minutes was spent on computer security, it used to be maybe 5 minutes just talking about passwords. This time they talked about passwords alright but said even what used to be considered good ones are not good enough. 30-60 characters is good enough. All kinds of sensitive networks require us to change passwords every 60 to 90 days now. They said forget trying to get all weird with random numbers or names. Use fairly large phrases about literally anything like Iwillpersonallykillallhackers. Then in 60 days change it to Mypitbullisgoingtokillallhackers, then mymotherisreallygoingtokillallhackers. I guess I don't like hackers...Add some numbers and special characters to it. One of the presenters has 70 passwords using a password manager. Here's one article about them:

Best free password managers

We were told that the most popular passwords right now are still password, 12345678 and admin. Gee how clever. All this talk about the Russians hacking us? Podesta's (Clintons' campaign manager) password for his emails was...wait for it...password.

What was really disturbing was the seminar included a half hour talk by an IRS CID guy. Those are like federal marshals with a badge, a gun and everything else. He talked about the Dark Web, about how you can't access it with our usual browsers, you have to be clever enough to find the special hackers browser for that. He then showed some screen grabs of actual postings. It was basically white letters on a back background. None of this colorful advertising and pretty websites we're used to seeing.

The first slide was a guy selling one name with an address, birthday and SSN for $4. Then he had a post with 10,000 names with all that info for $500. Then he asked how many had tax firms with over 1,000 clients and a bunch of hands went up. He shows a posting where someone is selling a CPA firms entire cloned hard drive with over 2,800 clients on it plus the firms own internal accounting info. This isn't just names and SSN's this is tax returns, employer stuff, everything. This gem was going for $4,000.

How was this acquired? By hacking into the remote service they were using for some staff members to work at home. It took some months to clone the whole hard drive using that method. Luckily the feds were monitoring the whole thing and busted them when the time was right.

I'm telling you, this was a very sobering talk especially if you have any kind of business using the internet.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
MarioD Online Content OP
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: seeker
Malware Anti-Exploit has been an additional safety for me.
Several times it warned me of Crap when using my Firefox browser.

Again looking at music goodies.

It is free, or for $25 per year bit better.

Take care cool blush cry tired

Frank thanx for that info. I didn't realize that the pro version of Anti-Malwarebytes had an upgrade available. The upgrade contains Malware Anti-Exploit.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Mario,

Not to mislead in my posting.

I did purchase Malware bytes Pro

The one I posted is a separate piece of software to
precisely monitor your Browser incoming information.
It may slow things a bit, but I'm happy with results.

Good luck.

FrankB

Off-Topic
MarioD Online Content OP
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: seeker
Mario,

Not to mislead in my posting.

I did purchase Malware bytes Pro

The one I posted is a separate piece of software to
precisely monitor your Browser incoming information.
It may slow things a bit, but I'm happy with results.

Good luck.

You did not mislead me. According to their site

https://www.malwarebytes.com/antiexploit/

antiexploit is now a part of Anti-Malwarebytes 3 Pro. It doesn't appear to be a separate program anymore. All I did was to DL 3 Pro, install it over my 2.5 version and it took my serial number, thus I am up to date.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Mario,

That's been a change for I purchased both of them separately.

Duh on my part I guess.

Methinks not, I got it early in its availablity.

Good luck!

FrankB

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
My day job is supporting this internet you speak of.

If you new the number of hacking attempts an average public web server incurs daily it would make you real nervous.
It's the mysterious ones that scare me.

Fer instance I know an exploit was found a couple months ago in Windows Servers, but the exploit was initially ran as a 'probe'. It simply inserted a hidden piece of code on websites that affected nothing on the site .. not visibly, not performance wise. Nothing. It was just there.
I also know 96,000 other websites (last I checked) could be found by searching for this snippet of code on Google .. so safe to say they had 'marked' 100,000 websites as 'I can get in here (been hacked)'.
Many were institutions and other 'gov type' websites.
As time goes by I expect that number to dwindle, since I figger if WE saw it, other alert web guys will also.
I believe we've alleviated the issue (no sign of it since implementing the fix) but you don't really know for sure until something happens to the other sites (the payload is triggered).

Yeah, that's the type of stuff that goes on, and I deal with.
In between I get to program software, which is much more fun. Build the protection in before it ever goes public in the first place. Compiling for the win!
/it's most often some plugin or add-on that gets compromised .. gotta be careful.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,721
Posts736,517
Members38,556
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Rogee, John Dharmawan, hughesai, BabzColl, bluejaffa
38,555 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 190