#392737 01/27/17 01:45 PM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Hi
can anyone tell me the difference...?

I am confused what is what..why two..?

biab 2017 everything all add ons ,win 7 i7 16gb, akai eie pro..,rode NT 1000, sonar pro,izo 7, lurssen mastering, Warm WA12 single channel microphone preamp, all waves bundle
Veteran
Veteran
For me
BiaB - very quick to try new ideas and different chord patterns or different styles etc (it regenerates on the fly, which is faster and the default is to regenerate all tracks every time you hit play).

RB - used for when you want to start drilling down and adding/editing things that either BiaB can't do, or you simply want more tracks to experiment with, or more synths, or more FX, or routing options, or only change this track from this point to this point, etc
Also its default behavior is it only regenerates the sections you tell it to (and also writes a backup of previous version so it can Undo).

BiaB is very different than RB.
I'm glad both exist.

If you want to jam,experiment, or write tunes, BiaB is faster/better.
If you want to start getting surgical and control the result more, RB is the next step.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
For me....!

BiaB - very quick to try new ideas and different chord patterns or different styles etc (it regenerates on the fly and the default is to change tracks every time you hit play)..............................

Thank you for your reply regenerates on the fly....?

I don't know what your talking about ...did you notice newbie at all....!......................!

RB - used for when you want to start drilling down and adding things that either BiaB can't do, or you simply want more tracks to experiment with, or more synths, or more FX, or routing options, or only change this track from this point to this point, etc It only regenates the sections you tell it to (and also writes a backup of previous version)...............hello...

answer....Do not even know how to add things or synths or change this track or that track....!

BiaB is very different than RB.
I'm glad both exist...................Hello.....!

I'm sure one day I will feel the same when I get a an answer to my post ....!

Rharv....I think...?....Is that your name.....!

biab 2017 everything all add ons ,win 7 i7 16gb, akai eie pro..,rode NT 1000, sonar pro,izo 7, lurssen mastering, Warm WA12 single channel microphone preamp, all waves bundle
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
I'm sure one day I will feel the same when I get a an answer to my post ....!

I tried to answer your post, apparently I failed ..

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
Veteran
Joe,

Here are some videos that PG Music has prepared.

BIAB (Windows)
http://www.pgmusic.com/videos.bbwin.htm

Realband
http://www.pgmusic.com/videos.realband.htm

Have a look through a couple of the getting started ones in the 'Beginner's' section. These will help you get a feel for programs and their differences.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Noel96 #392805 01/28/17 01:46 AM
Apprentice
Apprentice
Countryjoe - Chill!! Folks are only trying to help best way they know.
IM A NEWBIE too and id be dead in the water if it wasnt for these guys.
AFAIC BB is where you search fir a Style or make one up, put in yr chords to try things,arrange etc. ON THE FLY means that a minute you press the button it will play what you have. Not have to wait. Beware. There are TWO buttons. One replays what you had, the other REGENS it and plays the new form unless you FREEZE a track. (,i just discovered that;-))
RB is like PGs DAW. You can do everything BB can do it just takes longer IMO. But you can manipulate bits of tracks etc, add lots more tracks etc. Itsca bit beyond me at moment but I'll get there.
BTW Noel those links are v helpful. Thanks.
WendyM

BiaB2022PLUS,927. every extras pack I can find ;-),Sonar7XL,Win 10
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Countryjoe - Chill!! Folks are only trying to help best way they know.
IM A NEWBIE too and id be dead in the water if it wasnt for these guys.

WENDYM

I am chilled at the time of posting no one gave me what I asked.

Now I am looking I see some good posts.

As my old grandma would say....you've been here before....WENDYM,......!

Thanks all for replies

C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Band in a Box is a very powerful music accompaniment software program that allows you to enter chords onto a chart in a sequence of measures, select a musical style from a very large list of styles that include many different genres of music. When you select one of the two large green buttons, Band in a Box generates an audio rendition of a selection of musical instruments or midi instruments or a combination of the two creating an audio accompaniment playing the chords you input into the chord chart.

RealBand is a powerful software program that is uniquely programmed to interact with Band in a Box and can use many of the functions, styles, RealTracks, RealDrums elements of Band in a Box. There is no other similar type software from any company other than software programs of PGMusic that can make use of Band in a Box elements like RealBand does.

Because of this unique integration between Band in a Box and RealBand, RealBand allows the user to do advanced editing and manipulating of audio files that are generated to play your chord chart accompaniment file. RealBand allows you to generate more tracks of music than the limit of 8 in Band in a Box.

You are not limited to use one program or the other. But you can. If the music you create in Band in a Box suits your needs and satisfies your ear, you can ignore RealBand because none of its advanced features are necessary for you to make the music sound as you want it to. If you find you are limited in making music sound exactly as you want, then you may be able to easily correct the music or manipulate it to your satisfaction using the advanced editing and additional tracks (and a lot more features it has) to make the music sound exactly as you want.

You can also choose to work exclusively in RealBand and never use Band in a Box. Rharv is one who does most of his work in RealBand but he is is very advanced in understanding and manipulating audio files.

Hope this helps.

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Veteran
Veteran
Countryjoe, As has been previously explained BiaB is an accompaniment program. You put in your chords, pick a style and you have your backing tracks. BiaB only has 7 tracks for your backing tracks plus one track for audio or MIDI recording. If that is all that you need then BiaB will completely do the job for you. Note that two of those tracks are the melodist and soloist tracks. These can be used as backing tracks, put sections of riffs in your song, or you can have BiaB generate a complete song for you.

Most people start in BiaB then move to a DAW. Realband (RB) is a DAW. A DAW will have more tracks to work with. For example RB can have 48 tracks, Sonar, my DAW, can have as many tracks as your computer system can allow.

I start virtually all of my songs in BiaB then transfer those tracks to my DAW. I have had 3 guitars recording simultaneously in Sonar. I have also had a guitar and a blues harp recording simultaneously, a bass, keyboard and singer recording simultaneously as well as a couple of other configurations. I have also had up to 30 MIDI tracks playing while another track, either audio or MIDI, recording. You can also punch in and punch out to record the mistakes that you might make. You can also comp, that is play the same section/song over many times, and cut and paste the good parts into one track. I believe you can do the same in RB. RB also has some enhanced BiaB features that other DAWs do not have.

As you can see BiaB is limited in the number of tracks and one audio/MIDI recording track while a DAW is much more versatile when it comes to the number of tracks you can use.

So if BiaB does what you want then that is as far as you need to go. But if you want or need more then you will need a DAW. It sounds like you don't have any experience with a DAW so my advise is to use RB. Work with BiaB until you are comfortable with it then look at RB.

I hope this helps.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
I see you have Sonar pro, Are you also at Cakewalk forums?

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Veteran
Veteran
Just because one reply doesn't give you the answer you seek doesn't mean someone else won't. So yeah, try to be a bit patient. If someone seems to be missing the point of your question, simply restate the question with more details added or in a different way. The folks here are helpful and friendly.

OK.... SO to answer your question.

Quote:
Hi
can anyone tell me the difference...?

I am confused what is what..why two..?

BB/RB is such an amazing program and has so many functions I never use...so I will explain this from my POV and how I use the two programs.

BB is a great scratch pad kind of a program. It's super easy and fast to try an idea and switch it around..... new key, different tempo, different style, and all in a matter of a few seconds switching from one to the other. You have a small number of tracks.... 5, I think plus a melody track and one audio track you can record into. I use this program to get the song structure together and hear, approximately, how it will sound when it's finished. When I'm satisfied, I save the file and close BB. I almost never use the melody track or the audio track in BB.

RB is a DAW with some limits but it allows way more tracks than BB does. You can save your song in BB and then reopen it in RB. First thing RB does is to populate the tracks with the existing 5 or 6 tracks you had in the song in BB. At this point, you can easily, and in a matter of a few seconds, add as many more tracks as you want and not only in the style you used for the song but also using instruments not in the style at all. For example, if I write a song in BB using the LA Hard Rock style.... it has bass, drums, and guitars (IIRC).... but in RB, I can add steel guitar, dobro, trumpet, or whatever else I want in my song. You can also do your own live recording into as many of the available tracks as your computer will adequately process.

The 2 programs work together and do seem to do similar things and yes, a number of the functions overlap, but then as you understand what BB and RB can do differently and uniquely, that's where it starts to get interesting.

Even though RB is a DAW, it has some limitations that other DAW's on the market do not. I use Sonar, and other folks here use Cubase, and other DAW's. I find that it's easier for me to work in Sonar, but perhaps some of that comes from the fact that I have been using Cake products before I started using PG products.

Hopefully this shows some of the differences between the two and why you really should learn to use them together to get things done.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 01/30/17 07:20 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
Veteran
Simple incomplete explanation:

BIAB (Band-in-a-Box) is a program that allows you to create a virtual band for your song's chord progression. You just first frame out your song (tell BIAB how many bars the song contains, whether there is an intro, and how many times to repeat the song - or just enter the complete song linearly and set the song repeat to 1)
Then just enter the chords for the song on a chord grid, pick an appropriate style (much like picking a style on an arranger keyboard), hit PLAY, and BIAB will generate up to five different accompaniment tracks, which can be any combination of Audio (RealTracks and RealDrums) and MIDI. You pick the synth you want to use for the MIDI output. From there you can save the song to an audio file (WAV, MP3, WMA, etc), or if it's all MIDI, to a MIDI file. Like an arranger keyboard, you can specify where drum fills go and when to change to different substyles defined within the main style you are using.

You can also record a MIDI melody and/or solo, or you can have BIAB create one for you. You can also record a single stereo audio track to go along with the arrangement.

RealBand is a Digital Audio workstation that lets you create up to 48 tracks in any combination of audio or MIDI. RealBand has a number of BIAB features built-in, but it isn't BIAB and it doesn't always do things the same way BIAB does.

If you have Sonar (as your signature line indicates), then RealBand would correspond to features found in Sonar.

RealBand provides for much more granular editing of audio and MIDI data, as well as selective generation/regeneration of BIAB style-based content. You can assign DX/DXi/VST/VSTi instruments and effects to all the tracks, as well as the submixes on each track, as well as the master output mix. Once done, you can render your song out to WAV/MP3/WMA/etc.

RealBand will read and load BIAB files and can export certain elements of your RealBand song to a BIAB file. However, BIAB can't read a RealBand (.SEQ) file.

Both applications support the Audio Chord Wizard, which helps you find chord progressions in audio files (such as files in your MP3 collection). Both applications also support (albeit a somewhat dated) TC-Helicon software based harmonizer.

But, you have to buy Band-in-a-Box to get RealBand (which makes sense, since you really need the BIAB content - styles, RealTracks, RealDrums, etc - to make full use of RealBand).

That's it in a nutshell. If that's still too convoluted, then I can try to make it simpler, or just ask about what you don't understand. There are lots of knowledgeable patient folks here who will help you.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
jford #393408 01/30/17 08:51 PM
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: jford
RealBand will read and load BIAB files

But be careful because it does not read everything you do in BIAB. For example, your bar settings will not be restored in RB. And I cannot recall for sure but I think frozen tracks still got regenerated in RB but maybe I'm wrong and if so someone will correct me.

My only point is you need to think about what you will do before spending a lot of time in BIAB because if your next step is gonna be RB then some of that BIAB work may not survive the transition.

My work flow, because I have a DAW I greatly prefer to RB, is as follows,

1) create tracks in BIAB
2) export my tracks as individual mono WAV files with no reverb or panning applied
3) import those tracks into my DAW and mix them

If I find I cannot get exactly what I want I will open the BIAB file in RB and then try to selectively regenerate certain sections and export those tracks as WAV files to use in my DAW. But I avoid RB if possible because I find it to be cumbersome in my overall work flow.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,643
Posts735,394
Members38,525
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking
38,525 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 183
DC Ron 101
dcuny 89
rsdean 71
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.