#406028 04/07/17 03:39 PM
Off-Topic
D
dsbw Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
Anyone used this? It seems like it could be complementary to BiaB.

It has a lot of libraries, though, so it's hard to tell which items are plug-ins and which are, y'know, the base product. (Web page designers take note...)

Off-Topic
D
dsbw Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
(I stumbled upon it when someone mentioned using a notation software.)

(The last notation software I used was 'Score' in 1988, and I still have the scars.)

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
GPO is pretty decent. I have it in my DAW. I used to do a lot of midi composing and it was used quite a bit. Now days, I work a lot with audio so it hasn't been loaded in quite some time.

Quality wise, it's good. Price point is good too. Not to expensive. If you need something that's a step up from GM sounds and are not sure what to get, GPO is a good option.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
D
dsbw Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
Thanks!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I have GPO and it is a good starting point into better orchestra sounds. Is GPO as good as the much more expensive software? Well no, but those packages start around $500 to well over $1,000 USD. However GPO is a huge step up from GM strings. GPO and other Garritan software gives you the best bang for your buck.

I have a couple of the more expensive orchestra packages and I still layer them with GPO.

I suggest that you use a DAW with GPO and not BiaB. That way you can have each instrument on a different track, i.e. violins on one track, cellos on another, solo violin on another etc. You have better pan control this way plus you can control things like reverb level, articulation levels etc for each track.

I would not hesitate in buying GPO or any other Garritan package.

I hope this helps and good luck.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The next step up is Kontakt. If you can swing the price to get in the door with Kontakt, it is what I consider, and many others in the Film and TV composing world as well, to be the starting point for professional sound quality needed to do that sort of production that isn't flagged as "less than" what is required to be competitive for broadcast standards.

All sounds are samples and well recorded samples at that. In addition, there are a ton of 3rd party sound packs available for Kontakt.

If you're looking for good sound quality and want to get a good platform, skip GPO, and go straight to Kontakt. You won't regret doing that.

And ditto to Mario's advice to use a DAW and not BB for playing with the better synths. Import your BB tracks into the DAW and add the synth tracks in the DAW. It's so much easier to work in this manner in a DAW.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 04/08/17 03:13 AM.

www.herbhartley.com

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Garritan is OK, but I prefer Miroslav.

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/philharmonik2/

The solo violins alone are worth the money.

Regards,

Bob

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I use GPO, a lite version, all of the time for it's steinway piano sound. I will apply a shelving filter to roll off the high end. I get compliments on the sound all of the time, even though it's not a dedicated sample set just for piano.

I think most close-mike sampled pianos have too much high end in them. That's not the way you hear the piano from across a room, the air attenuates quite a bit of the high end.

Here is a recent song I did where I re-interpreted Erik Satie's Trois Gymnopedies (timing of the melody is intentionally off in the first part of the song, not unlike what it sounds like to my ear). The piano is from GPO, highs rolled off quite a lot, and then lots of reverb added in.

https://soundcloud.com/rockstar_not/whisper-gymnopedies-scott-lake

Last edited by rockstar_not; 04/08/17 02:18 PM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I love the Garritan products even though I have Philharmonik as well. To me each has a purpose. Philharomik sounds "earthier" but Garritan is pretty darned warm and rich to my ears.

I also have Garritan Abbey Road Grand, and I love it, love it, love it.

Garritan Personal Orchestra 5 is superb, and I also own the Garritan Jazz and World Instruments.

This is where BIAB does come into play. I have Jazz Band templates in Aria/Garritan Jazz Band so even when I am using a Jazz midi style in BIAB I run the instruments through Garritan Jazz Band and they sound awesome. Or Real Band, or Sonar. They sound great where ever I use them.

On the first link the first two song used GPO 5 sounds, and the classical album on the right hand in the "more links" columns used GPO5.

https://soundcloud.com/davidsnyder_albumcollection

This song is GPO5, from a classical album I did last year.

https://soundcloud.com/davidsfilmmusic/first-of-september

Many of these song use GPO5.

https://soundcloud.com/davidsfilmmusic

My vote is that Garritan is a very affordable place to start and may be all you need for a while.

As mentioned in an earlier post, people are actively streaming the classical stuff and buying it so they must be pretty happy with the quality.

My latest classical album (referenced above) was done entirely in Real Band although I have Sonar and every VST known to man.

All I used was Real Band, GPO5, and two classical guitars, using no effects.

Off-Topic
D
dsbw Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
Wow, thanks for all this. I'm looking at all the suggestions.

My vision is to be able to score things in traditional notation in the instrument's traditional clef, and have it come out as a reasonable approximation. I think most people work with keyboards so that's what the software demos show, but a lot of times I find it easier to notate what I hear in my head.

I'm less concerned about the price and more about the time investment. I struggle to find time to work with BiaB; if I get some orchestration software I don't want to learn it only to be frustrated and have to learn a whole new thing. (Always with the learning new things!!!!)

Off-Topic
D
dsbw Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
MarioD, yeah, see that's ANOTHER thing I gotta figure out: The whole DAW thing. =P

GuitarHacker, thanks for the Kontakt tip.

David, thanks for the actual examples! It gives me a good idea of some things that can be done.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
You have to be aware, though, that Garritan instruments, unlike other sound libraries, implements volume control in a non traditional way...it uses the mod wheel.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: dsbw

I'm less concerned about the price and more about the time investment. I struggle to find time to work with BiaB; if I get some orchestration software I don't want to learn it only to be frustrated and have to learn a whole new thing. (Always with the learning new things!!!!)

Both GPO and Kontakt are relatively easy to learn. If you already know how to insert a synth into a DAW, this is a no-brainer. I was up and running with Kontakt, exploring it's sounds within minutes of installing it.

If money is not a problem, go with Kontakt.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 04/11/17 01:43 AM.

www.herbhartley.com

Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker

Both GPO and Kontakt are relatively easy to learn. If you already know how to insert a synth into a DAW, this is a no-brainer. I was up and running with Kontakt, exploring it's sounds within minutes of installing it.

If money is not a problem, go with Kontakt.

I agree with Herb. Kontakt has a lot of third party patch developers and most are very good to outstanding. With Garritan you are stuck with what you get, i.e. no expansion. There a some Kontakt third party full orchestras as well as orchestra sections that blow Garritan as well as the stock Kontakt (although Kontakt has very good orchestra patches) sounds out of the water. Of course they do cost quite a bit of money.

Good luck.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
With Garritan you are stuck with what you get, i.e. no expansion.

Well, not exactly. While not as prevalent as Kontakt, all the Garritan libraries run using the Aria Engine (in the Aria Player).

Everything from Garritan runs through the Aria interface, just like you run multiple instruments through the Kontakt interface. Aria is kind of the big brother to Sforzando, which does everything Sforzando does plus a lot more (such as bundling sounds into libraries, like the Garritan instruments).

Garritan Personal Orchestra is just one of many sound libraries available along wit the CFX Grand Piano, Classic Pipe Organs, Instant Orchestra, Jazz and Big Band, Concert and Marching Band, Harps, and World Instruments, all of which use the Aria Engine and presented to the user by the Aria Player (much like the Kontakt interface).

Quote:
What is the ARIA Engine?

The ARIA Engine is an audio sampling and synthesis Engine, developed by Plogue Art et Technologie Inc in collaboration with Garritan Corp now part of MakeMusic, Inc.

It is fully compatible with 32bits and 64bits architectures on OS X, Windows and iOS. It can be used as a standalone application or as a VST, Audio Unit, RTAS or AAX plugin. It is based on the SFZ 1.0 / SFZ 2.0 open file formats for instrument programming and the Scala open file format to define scales and temperaments.

The first software instrument in the ARIA engine was the Garritan Authorized Steinway Virtual Model D Piano Library, endorsed by and in cooperation with Steinway & Sons. Today, the ARIA Engine can be found in various software from Garritan, Plogue, AKAI, Sony, Microsoft and MakeMusic.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
John you are correct. I should have specified that all Garritan's expansions are only from Garritan while Kontakt has many third party patch makers.

Sorry for the confusion.

Off-Topic
D
dsbw Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
Here we have a perfectly good opportunity for a flame war completely ruined by civility and respect!

It's almost like I'm not on the Internet!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Here we have a perfectly good opportunity for a flame war completely ruined by civility and respect!

Welcome to the PG Music Forums! grin

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran

AW SHUT UP!

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD
AW SHUT UP!

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Mario sucks!

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,727
Posts736,592
Members38,557
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
davyowdoo, Rogee, John Dharmawan, hughesai, BabzColl
38,556 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 192