Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
R
Ric4001 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
R
I buy the BIAB Windows everything pak upgrade every year in November (and now will be doing the same for the Mac version). In the past, the upgrade prices have never given credit for summer pak purchases -- the upgrade prices were the same whether you bought the summer paks or not. I'm guessing the answer is no, but will the 2010 upgrade prices give any credit if I've bought the summer paks? I'm hesitating to spend the $200 for both the Mac and Win summer paks knowing I'll get them as part of the everything pak upgrades in November (although the demos sound GREAT and it pains me to think of waiting until November to use them!).

D
Journeyman
Journeyman
D
Be careful with waiting for a future upgrade...

Currently, I have BIAB 2008. I didn't get RT in the summer, bought the jazz pack in the fall, and figured I'd upgrade at Christmas for 2009 to get the other packs that I missed in the Summer. Unfortunately, when that time came, I didn't have the money. After the sticker shock when the sale ended, I decided I would have to save my money and patiently wait to upgrade during the summer sale that is always offered. Never happened (at least not for Windows users). Now I'm stuck.

I can't get the new tracks for $99, because that's only for 2009 users. With a current price tag of $379 to do a complete update of what I have, I have no choice but to wait until Christmas and hope the prices for upgrading 2008 are good then.

Therefore, I suggest you not end up like me and keep up-to-date when you can. Don't assume to know any of the future sales or prices. A new BIAB release is not just an update now, but a product with a growing number of very nice add-ons (RTs). The prices will just go up. A month ago, to get an upgrade with all the goodies, it would cost you $279. Now, with the new RTs just released, it's $379.

I strongly suggest that you upgrade now and don't worry about feeling "ripped off." You will feel worse when you hear everybody else having fun and sounding like pros while you're playing along with the Roland VSC.

Veteran
Veteran
Remember the actual upgrade was FREE. What you're buying is the RD + RT. A new 160G Drive like they send at New Egg is $70.00 so the price of the tracks is only $79.00. Can't beat that. Cheaper then going out to dinner with the wife and a whole lot more fun.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
M
Apprentice
Apprentice
M
Actually, I think it does work out better economically (for the user) to just upgrade at year's end, when one can get everything in a Superpak or Ultrapak for $100 or so.

As the OP was saying, if he buys all the RD and RT now for $99, when BIAB 2010 comes out, he'll have to pay again, if he wants that update. (No, I don't think they have ever given credit for summerpak, for winter upgrades.)

So, from a purely economics standpoint, for the user, it definitely saves money just by doing a big upgrade once a year, by buying a pak that contains everything.

Of course though, if you are eager to get the new RD and RT now, and don't want to wait until December or January, that might be worth your while.

And of course, from the standpoint of PG Music, it is better for the company economically, if people buy these summerpaks.

Quote:

Be careful with waiting for a future upgrade...

Currently, I have BIAB 2008. I didn't get RT in the summer, bought the jazz pack in the fall, and figured I'd upgrade at Christmas for 2009 to get the other packs that I missed in the Summer. Unfortunately, when that time came, I didn't have the money. After the sticker shock when the sale ended, I decided I would have to save my money and patiently wait to upgrade during the summer sale that is always offered. Never happened (at least not for Windows users). Now I'm stuck.

I can't get the new tracks for $99, because that's only for 2009 users. With a current price tag of $379 to do a complete update of what I have, I have no choice but to wait until Christmas and hope the prices for upgrading 2008 are good then.

Therefore, I suggest you not end up like me and keep up-to-date when you can. Don't assume to know any of the future sales or prices. A new BIAB release is not just an update now, but a product with a growing number of very nice add-ons (RTs). The prices will just go up. A month ago, to get an upgrade with all the goodies, it would cost you $279. Now, with the new RTs just released, it's $379.

I strongly suggest that you upgrade now and don't worry about feeling "ripped off." You will feel worse when you hear everybody else having fun and sounding like pros while you're playing along with the Roland VSC.

O
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
O
DanL: Somewhat parallel story here but with a different ending: after using BIAB from the earliest versions my last upgrade was a "superpak" in Aug of 08. For the first time in years I missed that crucial upgrade in midwinter, so I'm running BIAB 2008.5 with RT 1-12's and to get the range I think I need in 2009 (country, blues, rock) I'd have to spend US$379. Given the cost of development of RTs, that may be a good deal but it's getting too rich for me. I have used the program to make mp3s and wav's of a huge range of roots music, esp gospel & blues. My little research grants pay for upgrading Finale for notation, which I have kept current over 15 years, but not for BIAB so I've paid for it out of my own fixed income pocket. I don't really need BIAB for the research project--I just enjoy playing with it so much. Besides, when I've been interviewing musicians from the 40s and 50s and we're discussing some old nearly forgotten piece, like "Got any rivers..." I can have a passable arrangement of it ready to talk about in detail in just a few minutes...

If I had upgraded to 2009 last winter maybe the cost wouldn't look so steep right now but unless there is a better deal down the road in Dec I think that after many years I'm going to be off the wagon in a few months, or at least rattling along behind the crowd in a legacy version...

D
Journeyman
Journeyman
D
orion, That's exactly what I'm afraid of...but I'm thinking that the sale price will be pretty good in December. They almost always have a very generous deal then. I just hope I have enough set aside at that time. I really do not want to miss out on it.

R
Ric4001 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
R
Thanks for everyone's thoughts. I think Maiki stated the point of my original post better than I did -- it has always been better economically to skip the summer upgrades and do it all in November. In the past, I usually bought the summer upgrades because they were pretty inexpensive and the benefit of geting the new content in the summer outweighed the small economic expense. Although they are still a bargain, at $99 (times 2 if I want to stay current on both Mac and PC) they are starting to get to the point where I feel like I'm just throwing away significant dollars by not waiting until November. Again, $99 is still a great deal for all the new RT and RD, but if I'm going to get them anyway in November when I do the annual upgrade, I'm just throwing away money to buy them now, hence the suggestion that PG should give some sort of credit for the summer upgrade if you upgrade again in November. If other users have the same reservations I do, it could be that there is a pile of money sitting on the sidelines (like mine) that could go into PG's coffers now if they announced a credit.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,723
Posts736,532
Members38,556
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Rogee, John Dharmawan, hughesai, BabzColl, bluejaffa
38,555 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 190