Go To
#39078 10/09/09 09:44 PM
RealBand
W
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
W

I am working with a VSTi plug-in that implements a range of World Instruments. I See that I can attach it to a MIDI track in RB and drive it from that. I am a complete noob when it comes to VSTi plug-ins. Is there a nice tutorial that explains what I am expected to do with Bank and Preset to configure a VSTi specifically for each track? Currently, I can hook it up on each track, but as I click from one track to another, any changes I make in the VSTi's control panel just get dropped.

I know enough that VSTi's store their setting in files. This also tells me that there is probably a particular strategy that people use to name these files and make sure that they don't get lost if you move things around on your hard drive.

The BB and RB manuals don't discuss this (or maybe I can't find it). I guess they think that people know this VSTi stuff already. I am clueless about it.

-Bill

RealBand
L
Veteran
Veteran
L
VSTis vary in the way they work, some have "ReadMe" documents, a few have manuals. Some are for single instruments such as Trumpet which, to set up, I would use the Classic Tracks Window (the alternative is the Main Tracks Window but that is more complicated). Enter a number between 17 and 32 in the Column PT (Output Port) and then click on the "DXi" Icon at the top of the Main Window. To assoociate a specific DXi/VSTi plugin to the Output Port, click on the first Plugin Box and negotiate to the name of the VSTi plugin you wish to use. Click and the name will appear in the Plugin Box. The other three boxes can be used for Effects Plugins. You are now clear to go. For other tracks repeat the process of Port selection followed by Dxi/VSti allocation.

Some DXi/VSTi Plugins allow for multiple patches to be chosen for each incident of the Plugin being used. The VSC DXi, Forte VSTi plugins which each provide a standard GM (General Midi) sound bank of 127 patches. are typical and each will address 16 channels of Midi Data for each incident of the Plugin. For these Plugins you need to select the same Output Port for each of the tracks using the Synth and select each individual instument by entering the appropriate numbers in the Columns "Prg", "Bank" and/or LSB for the individual tracks. Each of these numbers would be in the range of 1 to 127 and the information is made available in Plugin Displays or in the documentation.

Some Plugins permit the use of multiple patches which have to be specifically assigned within the Plugin and associated with the relevant tracks. Example: Samplers.

I hope this is of some help.

Lyn

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, it sounds like you are trying to use the same instance of the VSTi multiple times.

You have to assign multiple instances to different ports for each track as Lyn described above.
example- track 1 - port 17 assign the synth
track 2 port 18 - assign the synth (so it is another instance of the synth on it's own)
track 3 port 19 - assign another instance of the synth
etc.

Otherwise you are only running one synth and trying to control it from different windows, which will defeat the last change you made.

Use 'save preset' to save sounds. Usually the plugin will save in a default directory, so when you go to open presets later they will be right there.
..or you can pick a directory if you want, but I usually use the default.

If you are able to use multiple instruments at the same time from this VSTi (by design), then it will not be necessary to use multiple ports, instead you would need to make sure each instrument is on its own midi channel. Is it a 'one sound at a time' synth?

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
W
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
W
Thanks to LynB and rharv for your very clear response.

The plug-in I am working with is from Swar Systems and it implements a very long list of Indian classical instruments. I have their demo right now, which only has four instruments.

It makes no attempt to map these into a MIDI GM set of any kind. Instead each instrument is an individual preset. This is part of what threw me on how to set things up on this. Using your suggestions, I was able to assign different instances of the plug-in to different ports, and also select and save a preset for each one. I verified that I can exit RB and restart it and see that all this configuration information is NOT in place. Then when I open my sample song it all comes back. This says that all of this configuration data is just for this song and not global to RB. It also says that it must be in the SEQ song file somewhere.

When I saved presets for each instance of the plug-in I went with the default file names that came in the save dialog box. I just wanted to be safe for now, but I assume I can change these to whatever I want. One key issue is that these files all live in the same folder as the plug-in DLL, so I am going to have to be careful to back this up and also think about how to manage this across multiple songs. I should probably create some kind of template song or something for this new "band" and keep it as the starting point.

There are a lot of issues with managing this that I still don't quite understand. It is obvious that the SEQ file has all this configuration in it now. So how portable is this ? What happens if I move this to another machine. The SEQ file is a binary format, so you can't really look to see what's in it easily, but using Notepad2, I looked inside and see lots of strings like this:

C:\Desktop\Music\VST_Plugins\Swar_Demo\SwarPlugData\MN1CLOSD.WAV

Notice - the hard coded paths!!! Yikes - this means that the song is now tied to my hard drive configuration.

Please feel free to send any more comments on this that you can, as I figure out how to do this in a maintainable way.

Also - I am happy to report that the Swar Systems plug-in works just fine and sounds great. I only have the demo right now, which has four instruments. I need to verify that it all works when merging everything down to a WAV file.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Note the filename extension on this file you pointed out -
C:\Desktop\Music\VST_Plugins\Swar_Demo\SwarPlugData\MN1CLOSD.WAV
Its a (probably temp) .wav file, I doubt any system config is associated with it.

I have saved presets in one seq and opened that same preset in another song many times .. Is this what you are saying you are having trouble with? I do not use default names usually, I name it so I know what it is. Maybe you can't overwrite the presets (?). Many free synths have restrictions on them, could this be one of them?

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
W
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
W
I am not really have any trouble now. I am just trying to see where I am going to run into issues going forward. The important thing right now is that you guys have gotten me going and it all works.

I would like to see if I can get this plug-in to work off MIDI channels instead of ports, but I will have to work this out with Swar tech support unless there is someone else out there that is already familiar with this product. I will also find out if there is a way to have multiple instruments play from a single channel.

It is good to hear that you can choose any names you want when saving the presets and that this is correctly stored and retrieved with each song. Could someone now explain what is commonly done with "Banks" now? Banks seem to be collections of presets, but that would not seem to be useful in my situation.

RealBand
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
William, you probably know that many VSTi actually do work on midi channel as well as port - but more often multi-timbral VSTi like to operate with channels. One that I use now and then is Sampletank. You can have just one instance of it and send various tracks of midi data, but each track on it's own channel, and it will crank away playing the multi-track data.

RealBand
W
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
W
Actually the world of VSTi is completely new to me, so any information like this is useful. In the documentation it says: "SwarPlug is not a multi-timbral plug-in but depending upon your sequencers capability, you can open as many instances of SwarPlug as required".

So, now that I know what multi-timbral means, it is clear that each instrument that I want to use is going to require a different instance and port.

RealBand
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Needing a different port may or may not be necessary for each track. PG products handle plugins in a different way than many applications.

Have you tried simply putting a new instance on each track, then controlling each track/instance of swar with a different midi channel?

RealBand
W
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
W
The song I am testing with has a full set of tracks including drums, string, guitar, piano, etc.

In my first set of tests, I loaded the Swar VSTi into the "DXi/VSTi Synth 1" slot in the dialog brought up from the DXi icon. I then selected this entry from the drums track and also from the strings track. I selected the tabla drums and did a Save Presets from the drum track, and then switch to the piano track and selected the Harmonium and did another Save Presets. I then switched back over to the Drum track, I saw that it was now set to Harmonium. The drums are on MIDI channel 10 and the piano is on MIDI channel 3, so the Swar plugin does not seem to pay any attention to the MIDI channel.

For my next set of test, I followed the procedure supplied by LynB above. When I configured four different entries - Synth 1, 2, 3, 4 and used the Classic Track Views to set the ports for the drums and piano to a different Synth number, did the same setup and Save Presets, things now worked and the preset selection was preserved properly and also go saved and reloaded with the song.

Is there another way to configure this that would verify that the MIDI channel is being ignored.

RealBand
L
Veteran
Veteran
L
Hi William,

I think that you are using four instances of the same Synth via 4 different Ports correctly. When DXi/VSTi synths are applied to individual tracks the association is track to Port. Channels become relevant when one instance of a DXi/VSTi is applied to multiple channels as then the Channel number is needed to determine which sound is heard for a specific track.

Lyn

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,756
Posts737,077
Members38,571
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
BrianArmstrongAUS, Cheuan, trombonedad, Vincent Kirk, Rupert Rowen
38,571 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 184