Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Off-Topic
OP Offline
Hi all!

Yesterday I composed a 3 part round for my Music students. It is created with Logic pro X and Band in a Box. You can see the movie here:

https://youtu.be/g2Lp-HwqiLw

I used Band in a Box for Mac 2017 and I used style _RootSyp.Sty with some basic Chords: G, D, Em, C, D and this over and over again.

now I get a copyright claim that I used the music from a song called:
Helping Hands NO MELODY-19260-RFR

First of all, that song does not come even close to what my song sounds (you could listen that helping hands song here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTawKmes4A0 )

And next to that, how can we use Band in a Box without getting the risk of these claims? It is not my main goal to make money with the music using youtube, but on the other side, I do not want other people to claim something, the do not own.

Is this something other people experience too? Or is this just a bad luck situation?

Thanks for any help!
Marius

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Marius. You shouldn't get copyright claims on Band-in-a-Box stuff. Just log a dispute.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
Off-Topic
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Joanne's right. We've used 100s of RTs on YouTube without problem.

Like she says, just log a dispute and be prepared to bail out if things get serious.

ROG.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I'm thinking they are sending out thousands of claims hoping to get easy settlements from "rich" Americans and others who don't deserve to have that much money. Let us know what happens.

Does the noise in your head bother me ?
Off-Topic
OP Offline
Thanks for all your very kind support. That is highly appreciated.

I did some investigation and I was able to track the composer of the song that was 'detected' in my music. This turned out to be a nice and friendly person, who was also amazed and surprised by the 'auto detection' in Youtube. He agreed also that his song and mine have seriously nothing in common, so he is curious how this will 'end' as well.

He was willing to write a message to the Copyright company for me. So I keep my fingers crossed.

It's really odd.

I must say I am extremely happy with Band in a Box. It is so 'easy' to create good backing-tracks for my stuff. It helps me focus on other stuff. Tonight I created a new video with the same song, but a different style and this time I played the 'lead' with a real instrument (a recorder). And it sounds AMAZING. I hope this time it will not be detected as copyrighted material. https://youtu.be/XMxXD5i5OBA

Thanks again for all your help and kind replies. This feels like a nice forum.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I can't say for sure but to me it's all about the melody line you used I don't think it has anything do with the Biab tracks. To me the melody is similar to the other tune. I have no idea how YouTube's computer algorithm calculates that.

Joanne is the expert with YT so she can comment too but I think all the original composer has to do is give you a release and you forward that to YT. I would assume somewhere in YT's documentation are instructions on how that release should look, the wording, etc.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
We've got about 400 videos on our YouTube teaching channel and had three copyright claims in five years.
Basically the computer throws up some positives and some false positives. If you log an appeal,
which is what we do, the appeal is sent to the copyright holder who will the listen to the tracks
and can continue, or cancel, the action. All ours bore no relation to the other track and were cancelled.

If your track is compared to a particular song, it may be that the song has been recorded by several
artists on different labels and so each of them will have a copyright claim against you and will have
the same option of continuing or cancelling. If anyone continues with the action, take down your video
immediately, or risk losing everything you own.

Hope this helps.

ROG.

Off-Topic
OP Offline
Thanks for the fact you took the time to compare both tracks. What you write is exact what I thought myself too first. But later (when I checked the claim again to reply to it) I saw the claim is about the last part of the movie where people could play along with a karaoke track. That is just the BiaB track without my melody.

I contacted the original composer of the song the claim is about. He agrees that this is strange. He is going to communicate with the copyright company too... let's hope it works out right.

Off-Topic
OP Offline
Hi ROG!

It is good to read that with so many videos online you only had this with a very few videos. I was already worrying that this was going to be a complication I would have to deal with a lot. That is a good thing to know. Thanks!

Your last part of the video is slightly frightening though. When I get this copyright claim (had seen one before) it came with the message that it had no consequences for my YouTube channel or video. Are you saying that it also can happen that a copyright claim CAN have consequences? Let's hope that will never happen to you, me or anybody else here on the forum.

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Some BIAB RealTracks have quite distinctive riffs. These riffs, if used in two different songs, at similar BPM, tempo and key, would certainly sound similar enough to cause an automated detector to throw a flag!

I'm not sure how likely this would be to actually occur as you would need two BIABers to each create and publish a song using the same RealTrack with similar parameters.

But it could happen!

Maybe a good precaution to take is always be sure to change BPM, key, tempo, etc. away from any defaults to further minimize risks.

Last edited by JohnJohnJohn; 05/01/20 10:43 PM.
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Hi
I had a similar experience with you tube copyright.
On music I had done in Magix Music Maker, this program uses sound loop libraries,
I raised a dispute and the claim was withdrawn.
It seem some one else had used the same sound loops and similar chords on a song they had done.
However as soon as I explained the source of my material and my entitlement to use it no prob.
Also there are folks that just troll round You tube looking for songs to lodge claims against just to try their luck, especially it seems, if there is any clue that the song may use pre recorded material like Sound loops Realtracks etc
Mike

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
You are not alone.

I have purchased a license for Smart Sound libraries, and as a result can use them royalty free.

Subsequent to my library purchase, Getty Images Music purchased the same libraries.

Anything I publish using Smart Sound material is now always immediately challenged by Getty Images Music.

When contacted, Smart Sound stated: "Thank you for contacting us. Since we have non-exclusive agreements with our composers, they can also sell/distribute their music through other channels that may or may not be royalty free. However, if you purchased the music from us or it came with one of our authorized plug-ins, it is properly licensed for this type of use."

I challenge You Tube and always get this response:
"Good news! After reviewing your dispute, Getty Images Music has decided to release their copyright claim on your YouTube video."

Damn it, so they should. It wasn't theirs in the first place.

This is a typical example of unwarranted bluffing and bullying.

Don't be afraid to challenge and stand up for your rights if you believe you are acting fairly and lawfully.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
OP Offline
I am so happy to let you all know that the claim is withdrawn!

No copyright claim anymore! Wow!

Another big thank you to all the people here on the forum. You are all so kind and supportive. This is pretty unique on the internet.

Thanks a lot!
I hope I can share some other cool stuff in the near future.

Good luck with all your music projects.
Marius

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Mike said:
Quote:
Also, there are folks that just troll round You tube looking for songs to lodge claims against just to try their luck, especially it seems if there is any clue that the song may use pre-recorded material like Sound loops Realtracks, etc.

Bob Dylan has a vast array of lawyers constantly on the lookout for infringements. What cost fame and talent? In fact, the copyright holder is OBLIGATED to pursue infringers or risk losing his/her rights.

Few of us can afford a team of lawyers.

On a similar note; I once talked to a patent attorney about an invention I had and he said that if the infringement didn't total in the thousands of US Dollars, attorneys wouldn't go near it.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The strike isn't about BIAB. Part of your song DOES sound like the whistled song in that song from wherever that writing comes from. That strike would come from whoever owns that other song, not BIAB. BIAB isn't even really in the conversation here.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Wrong, he specifically said it was the Biab tracks and not about the melody. This is his reply to my post saying the same thing you just did:

What you write is exact what I thought myself too first. But later (when I checked the claim again to reply to it) I saw the claim is about the last part of the movie where people could play along with a karaoke track. That is just the BiaB track without my melody.

Then read what others just wrote about using royalty free sound libraries. Can't just jump to the end of a thread and post without reading the whole thing.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Marius1976
Hi ROG!
Your last part of the video is slightly frightening though. When I get this copyright claim (had seen one before) it came with the message that it had no consequences for my YouTube channel or video. Are you saying that it also can happen that a copyright claim CAN have consequences? Let's hope that will never happen to you, me or anybody else here on the forum.

First thing is to distinguish between the composer and the copyright holder, who may or not be the same person.
Copyright can also exist separately on a recording of the song, meaning that several copyright holders can be involved.
I speak from practical experience here - one of our strikes had six copyright claims, not of which were upheld.

Once the computer has thrown up a positive, the copyright holder(s) are informed and they can assess the situation
and either withdraw the claim, or continue with it. If they choose to continue, they may allow use of the track but claim
any advertising revenue which the track generates. Alternatively, they may ask for the video to be taken down and you
should do this without delay. Exceptionally, they can move straight to a legal action against you for infringement and this
is the event to which I referred when I said you can lose everything you own. This last option is unlikely, but technically possible.

Hope this makes things clear.

ROG.

Off-Topic
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
The strike isn't about BIAB. Part of your song DOES sound like the whistled song in that song from wherever that writing comes from. That strike would come from whoever owns that other song, not BIAB. BIAB isn't even really in the conversation here.

The claim was definitely about the BiaB track. In youtube you can see what part of the movie they have a problem with. It was the end of the track, where no recorder melody was heard, but simply the BiaB track.

I also emailed the composer of the song they said I used from. Even the composer was amazed by the claim, since my song did not even sound for a single bit like his song.

But I am happy, my dispute was accepted and they withdraw the claim. So no problems here anymore.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Marius1976
Hi all!

Yesterday I composed a 3 part round for my Music students. It is created with Logic pro X and Band in a Box. You can see the movie here:

https://youtu.be/g2Lp-HwqiLw

I used Band in a Box for Mac 2017 and I used style _RootSyp.Sty with some basic Chords: G, D, Em, C, D and this over and over again.

now I get a copyright claim that I used the music from a song called:
Helping Hands NO MELODY-19260-RFR

First of all, that song does not come even close to what my song sounds (you could listen that helping hands song here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTawKmes4A0 )

And next to that, how can we use Band in a Box without getting the risk of these claims? It is not my main goal to make money with the music using youtube, but on the other side, I do not want other people to claim something, the do not own.

Is this something other people experience too? Or is this just a bad luck situation?

Thanks for any help!
Marius

So how do you interpret the section in bold red as a strike having anything to do with BIAB? It says right there that the strike is about using "Music from a song blah blah blah", which I indeed found quite similar. Nowhere in his report from youtube does it say BIAB. BIAB didn't create the melody, just the backing track. Marius created the melody.

Now, that being said, does this copyright strike make any sense? Hell no. The original is a silly little song to start with and he used his creation as a teaching tool for kids. How PETTY does the author have to be to file that claim against Marius because 8 notes line up? Is Marius going to make a boatload of money with his little round to teach kids? This is the kind of BS that just makes me roll my eyes and hate people even more. But to make the point again, after reading his post at least 10 times, I saw not one word about BIAB as far as the copyright claim, and BIAB didn't create that melody. He did. I'm glad the strike was lifted but it should never have been raised to begin with. In a time where EVERY song sounds the same.... wow. I mean this isn't Brian Wilson lifting Be My Baby for Don't Worry Baby here (which he did).

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
OP Offline
Hi Eddie!

First of all thanks for your empathy. I appreciate that a lot. You are right about my position as a music teacher. It has not much to do with earning money or becoming famous haha.

The copyright claim was not literally about band in a box but was definitely about the backing track for sure. The misunderstanding here on the forum was caused probably by a language difference. I am not a native english speaker.

What I did not mention was that in the claim I could see which part of the movie was the claim about.

In the claim you see a start and end time. That was exact the time frame where my melody was absent. The end of the movie plays just the Band in a Box track and not my melody.

I should have been more clear about that... but I was already so confused by the claim in the first place that I wrote that opening post with some kind of nervous and slightly worried emotion.

I am glad the claim is lifted and I am also very pleased with your recognition that the claim was absurd in the first place. Thanks!

Also important to mention again that also the creator of that other song found it unbelievable. He was also very surprised and wrote me that his and my song had really nothing in common.

It is the auto detection that fails. Those copyright companies have a lot of power... but the fact they lifted the claim gives me some faith again.

Last edited by Marius1976; 05/03/20 10:44 PM.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,694
Posts736,141
Members38,545
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Oraus, KlaasB, Sid S, Uncle Hemi, KWADWO FRIMPONG
38,545 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173