Tracy Chapman Questions and answers

Question 1: Do you follow a songwriting process, and can you describe it?

Tracy Chapman Online Saturday, December 26, 2015
Question by Victoria Luckie:

Do you follow a songwriting process, and can you describe it?

Tracy Chapman: If there is a process it is not systematic. It is organic in nature, always
starting with a moment of inspiration- a feeling or a thought that calls for pursuit.

I usually write while playing guitar and the words and music typically develop in tandem. It often feels like there is a question that needs to be answered or a puzzle that needs to be solved and so my curiosity drives me on.

I don t have a schedule but I tend to write late at night or very early in the morning. The timing, I suspect, being due to the lack of distractions and a relaxed mind, a mind that has ceded some control thereby allowing for free association.

I think it is a time of less self-censorship, a place where you can make mistakes without fear to me this seems essential for the creative process.

Another essential part of the organic writing process for me is reading. I have been a life-long avid reader of fiction, poetry, reference Books and in recent years graphic novels and non-fiction; I read for pleasure but I feel certain that the act of engaging with a well written or well told story is also a lesson.

If you want to write you need to read. On the technical side, I keep it simple, using paper, a pen or pencil and a portable tape recorder. Although I use computers in the studio, I prefer to be less encumbered in the early
stage of the writing process.

For me it keeps the Focus on the basics on what you are trying to express through the words and music. Ultimately, poetic musicality, clear expression with feeling is my aim. I want the song to make sense; I want the words to stand by themselves. And, I want the finished song in its structure and mood to retain an impression of the original flash of inspiration.

Music is an expression that is a universal language, Never criticize anybody to harshly. They need time to grow but when they do, they do. Always be kind in what you say and do because the man upstairs is watching.