Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Hello to all... I am trying to open my new BIAB 2021 Audiophile as a DAW VST plugin in Reaper. I keep getting the "missing file" prompt I've attached here.

My setup:
BIAB Audiophile 2021 hard drive updated to latest build 809
Reaper (in its most current update state)

I have installed my BIAB 2021 Audiophile to run entirely from the Audiophile Hard Drive (using the first Option A/1?) as suggested. This has always worked fine in the past.

As suggested in the error prompt, I re-installed BIAB Audiophile - the same "missing file" prompt comes up...

I then reset everything to factory defaults (BIAB's universal action that's almost as good as duct tape!) and I reinstalled BIAB 2021 a second time. I opened Reaper, again tried to open the VST3i plugin and still no luck, same missing file prompt comes up. (When I click on "OK", Reaper locks up)

Any suggestions, thoughts, opinions, condolences regarding this matter would be greatly appreciated... (please dumb them down as much as you can... there are no "computer genius" ribbons hanging on my walls...)

I have also attached a second prompt that I'm getting when I exit BIAB. I doubt if it's related to this first DAW plugin issue, but it may reveal something to wiser eyes than mine.

Thank you to all in advance...

(Windows 7 Home Premium/64 Bit SP1/AMD FX-8320/Eight Core Processor/16 Gig RAM/NIVIDA GeForce GT 520)

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
BIAB 2021 DAW issue_1.jpg (177.3 KB, 181 downloads)
BIAB Exit prompt.jpg (49.6 KB, 153 downloads)

just an old analog dog tryin' to learn new tricks...
Veteran
Veteran
vST 2021 works great in Reaper. Your picture of the plugin in Reaper looks different from mine. Exactly what VSTs are you loading when you install? There are a lot to choose from and I only pick 1. I think it is 64bit VST3. And do you have most recent version?

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Capture.JPG (130.77 KB, 148 downloads)

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
Have you used the preferences to point to the location of the new BIAB components?
I had a prob when I moved to running BIAB from the external drive it came in. I could get the plug in started but couldn't open a file in it.
I was then pointed to the FILE button, preferences and then to indicate the location of the necessary components as listed by the prefs.
Now it works fairly well - with a few small things that bother me but not much esle.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Dan, Thanks for your reply... I installed BIAB 2021 as a VST3 (the first and recommended option - see attached). I did not install any others (Pro Tools, VST2, etc). I'm using Reaper updated to version 6.18 - and I'm using the "default" skin/layout... I'm running BIAB and Reaper as 64 bit programs. I agree, our visuals look quite dis-similar!

Rayc, Thanks for your reply... Other than during the installation process, I have not directed BIAB to any new components. Right now it's showing as my E: drive - I changed /redirected to that from the PG Music standard C:/bb to E:/bb during installation. This starts my 3rd year with Audiophile on the hard drive and I've run it the same way each year with no problems. It's been operating fine this year (all 4 days so far) until I hit the wall with running the DAW plugin within Reaper. To be honest I've never messed with BIAB's DAW function until now, as I was very content with my old method/workflow of interfacing between BIAB and Reaper... This year I've decided it's time to take the leap. Under FILE in BIAB, I don't have a choice for PREFERENCES... Under OPTIONS I do have the PREFERENCES choice, however I'm not seeing anywhere to redirect the location of any components.

BIAB DAW install place.jpg (250.55 KB, 127 downloads)

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: SILVERBACK
Dan, Thanks for your reply... I installed BIAB 2021 as a VST3 (the first and recommended option - see attached). I did not install any others (Pro Tools, VST2, etc). I'm using Reaper updated to version 6.18 - and I'm using the "default" skin/layout... I'm running BIAB and Reaper as 64 bit programs. I agree, our visuals look quite dis-similar!

Sounds exactly like my setup. Regarding the "Look", Reaper has multiple ways to view this content, so I don't think that is the issue. Actually the error message regarding the missing file is concerning. That file is definitely a BIAB file and I think is installed in the RB folder. Lets try a reinstall of the VST. I will PM you with a suggested process.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Silverback,

I think the Preferences that Ray is meaning is the one found under "File" in the VSTi plugin. This could be where the problem is occurring.

To see the path for file locations, you may need to move the vertical scrolling bar I've labelled #4 on the image below.

Regards,
Noel

BIAB vst3i preferences 2021.JPG (55.24 KB, 117 downloads)

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: SILVERBACK

(Windows 7 Home Premium/64 Bit SP1/AMD FX-8320/Eight Core Processor/16 Gig RAM/NIVIDA GeForce GT 520)

My understanding is that the VST3 will not load in Reaper, so it is not an issue of changing preferences in the app.

Knowing how problem free all versions have been to load into Reaper. I remain concerned about the actual error messages (shown below).

And

Now I am also concerned about the computer. The FX-8320 was a great chip - in its day ~2011. And Windows 7 - is that still a thing?

Maybe I worry to much. crazy Anxiously await for the results of the re-install of the latest version of the VST.

Capture.JPG (19.08 KB, 108 downloads)

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
It will be looking in C:\bb\Data\libx64\dllelastiquePro3.dll
as you can't start it to set it to the external path.
It saves a settings file somewhere with that path, I will look more to find it as things have changed over the years ???
If you copy that Data folder from the external drive and make a new folder C:\bb to paste it to it should start the VST, but it may need the Preferences folder also ??
If it starts you can then go into the Prefs in the Plugin and set the paths to the external drive.
I will look again and at it and get back to you, but you can try coping that folder and see if it prompts for other files or not, in the mean time.

S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Gentlemen: (I believe I am addressing all males here...)

First, thank you all very much for your input!

I found and copied the Data folder (and dllelastiquePro3 file) on the Audiophile hard drive to my C:/bb folder as suggested - and I actually got BIAB to open in Reaper in its plugin format... It only shows up in my Reaper FX listings as a VST3i choice, it is not available as a VST3 choice. That may or may not be significant.

Unfortunately the plugin is pretty well locked up as far as entering chords, choosing styles, etc... I did find the "Preferences" area in the plugin, and it allowed me to scroll down to where I should be able to make some changes, but it will not allow me to enter anything or browse...

As Dan mentioned I'm using a vintage rig here... I had this outfit custom built back in 2011 and it's given me no reason to leave - - until now... I'm amazed I've gotten ten years out of this thing - it has served me well... done everything I've asked of it... (Windows 7??!! I'd probably still be on XP if the Universe would have allowed it!) My main reason for not updating Windows 7 when they stopped supporting it last year is that I've been expecting this old rig to bite the dust anytime now for the last 2-3 years - and I figured I'd hold off with all major system upgrading until I had a new one built. (That's the story I'm sticking to...)

One question I'll throw out to those of you who would know better than I: Are chances good that these BIAB issues are due to using vintage gear and Windows 7? If yes, I now have my reason to upgrade...

Thanks again to all for your advice and help!

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Did you try and copy the Preferences folder also.
Install the Plugin again and select the vst2 and FX in the installer.
Then they will all show in Reaper.
I will have another look for the Paths setting ini.

Veteran
Veteran
SILVERBACK,

Your computer hardware configuration should not be a contributing factor unless the hardware is experiencing a failure. You've not mentioned trouble using your other programs so, unless the USB port is intermittent, hardware should not be a consideration.

According to Dell, this laptop was manufactured in 2007. I am the fourth person in my family to use this computer. It originally shipped with Microsoft Vista which was updated to Windows 7 Home. Last February, 2020 the operating system was updated to Windows 10 Home.

The changes from the as shipped configuration are the 2 GB of RAM memory was upgraded to the motherboard maximum of 8 GB and the mechanical hard drive was replaced with a solid state drive of the same size.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
silverback.
i agree with jim. even tho its an old system fx were decent processors. unless you want a zillion traks/plug ins.
amd rated at 5300 on cpu benchmark .net. thats ok.
how long does it take to boot up from cold start ?
if reaps song projects display in a couple of secs like on my i5 ssd system, you should be good to go.

if were my system , and you hadnt already done it, i would install a cheap 50 buk ssd if an old hdrive in it.

if you DO want to upgrade, ive posted many times on pg of the value of buying refurbished systems.
just search.
you can buy a refurb i7 or xeon "beast" with warranty plus ssd for a few hundred buks that will last years.

have a merry.
refurbmuso.

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 12/18/20 07:26 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
I actually got BIAB to open in Reaper in its plugin format... It only shows up in my Reaper FX listings as a VST3i choice, it is not available as a VST3 choice. That may or may not be significant.

Look back at my picture of the BIAB-VST in Reaper and that is exactly what I have. So that should be right.

Quote:

Unfortunately the plugin is pretty well locked up as far as entering chords, choosing styles, etc... I did find the "Preferences" area in the plugin, and it allowed me to scroll down to where I should be able to make some changes, but it will not allow me to enter anything or browse...

OK, the BIAB-VST is not extremely intuitive regarding its operations. But I don't know what you mean by "locked up". And not sure what you are trying to adjust in preferences. I suspect if there are any real issues it is with the files being on the external drive since I don't run that way. If you would like I can do a screen share with you and show you exactly how the BIAB-VST operates in my Reaper and maybe you will see something that helps. Let me know and I can set up a zoom or teams meeting with you through the PM.

Veteran
Veteran
A suggestion, defragment the external, and internal, hard drives.

The PG Music external hard drive is a mechanical hard drive. The hard drive may have become fragmented with use over time.

The internal hard drive requires a deeper discussion. If it is a mechanical hard drive, defragment it. But if the primary drive is a solid state drive, do not use the defrag command to defragment the files. Solid state drives use the Trim command.

My thought behind the suggestion is fragmented files take longer to load and save. There maybe a Windows timer timing out. I admit the suggestion is a stretch but stranger things have happened.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Found it ! C:\Users\Public\Ticket\Band-in-a-Box DAW Plugin Folder Locations.txt
Just set it to E:\ if that's where it is.

BBvst-Paths-Settings.png (36.14 KB, 59 downloads)
S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Pipeline, that did it! Thank you - and thanks to all who responded to my pleas for help. I am constantly amazed and humbled by the talented individuals on this forum who donate their time (and smarts) to help out fellow BIAB'ers... Now I begin to educate myself regarding the BIAB DAW plugin and Reaper...

BIABPluginSolved.jpg (322.19 KB, 47 downloads)

Veteran
Veteran
Silverback,

I run Windows 7 and use Reaper and the plugin works fine. Also, as Dan has pointed out, it's definitely listed as VST3i (not VST3).

When you received your Audiophile software, did you run the install file and choose the option to "Run everything from the USB drive"? This sets up your computer for BIAB's latest version.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Hello Noel,

Yes I did run it from the 2021 Audiophile Hard Drive (the first installation option)... regarding the BIAB DAW Plugin, I followed Pipeline's suggestions (found above) and things are running well now...

It's good to hear I'm not the only guy left on Windows 7! I usually upgrade to whatever's current at the time I buy a new computer - this custom-made PC I'm currently using has lasted ten years, twice as long as any of the name brand machines I've had... I am surprised and happy about that! Thanks for your insights.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,700
Posts736,183
Members38,546
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
John Hunt, Oraus, KlaasB, Sid S, Uncle Hemi
38,546 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 181