Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
berntd Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hello everyone,

It may not be 100% correct terminology but it is sometimes needed when a song finishes the verse and then the chorus starts.
In the picture, bar 22 there are 3 notes that are the lead into the chorus. They are shown as accentuated.
However, there has to be a break just before that and then those notes are played as an intro to the chorus but slowly.

How can I achieve this?
Currently BIAB is just bashing out the exact tempo and that ruins that song.
Shots there do not work on their own as they are still bashing out the exact tempo.

All ideas, greatly appreciated.

Regards
Bernt

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
20210423_135820.jpg (1.85 MB, 16 downloads)
Last edited by berntd; 04/22/21 06:02 PM.

Band in a Box
Latest: ULTRA 2020 (734) on Win 10
And: MEGA 2020 (720) on Windows 7

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: berntd
Hello everyone,

It may not be 100% correct terminology but it is sometimes needed when a song finishes the verse and then the chorus starts.
In the picture, bar 22 there are 3 notes that are the lead into the chorus. They are shown as accentuated.
However, there has to be a break just before that and then those notes are played as an intro to the chorus but slowly.

How can I achieve this?
Currently BIAB is just bashing out the exact tempo and that ruins that song.
Shots there do not work on their own as they are still bashing out the exact tempo.

All ideas, greatly appreciated.

Regards
Bernt

You can use Bar Settings function key <F5> to change the tempo at that bar, but it won't be a gradual change, just a sudden change at that bar. Then on the following bar, revert the tempo change.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
berntd Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hello,

Thank you. the tempo change has to be half way through that bar not at the beginning.
A sudden end/break and a new start could work.
No idea :-(

Band in a Box

Veteran
Veteran
Thinking further, you might also add an additional bar before the tempo change, and set the number of beats to 1 or 2 and play a pause or a rest on that bar by placing 1 or 3 period characters after the chord:
C. indicates a C chord that is a Rest.

A chord can be specified as a Shot by adding two periods after the chord.
C.. indicates a C chord that is a Shot.

A chord can be specified as a Held Chord by adding three periods after the chord.
C... indicates a C chord that is a Held Chord.

That might give you a better lead in to the tempo change. You will need to experiment, but these ideas may assist.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
berntd Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
I did play with the additional bar and having is as a break.

However, decreasing the tempo for that bar cannot be undone again in the next bar.
For example, if I slow down by 25% entered as -25 I can not get back tot the original tempo as that needs an increase of 33.3% which can only be entered as 33.
So it will go from say 100 to 75 but back to 99 only.
Likewise with other percentages.

Also, having a break does not get the instruments to start afresh. They just seem to continue on and the result is as if you close your ears for one bar.

Not great.

Last edited by berntd; 04/22/21 09:16 PM.

Band in a Box

Veteran
Veteran
I did play with the additional bar and having is as a break.

However, decreasing the tempo for that bar cannot be undone again in the next bar.
For example, if I slow down by 25% entered as -25 I can not get back tot the original tempo as that needs an increase of 33.3% which can only be entered as 33.
So it will go from say 100 to 75 but back to 99 only.
Likewise with other percentages.

Also, having a break does not get the instruments to start afresh. They just seem to continue on and the result is as if you close your ears for one bar.

Not great.

Tempo change can be set as an absolute value, not just a percentage change? See screen capture:

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
2021-04-23_17-20-02.jpg (72.98 KB, 113 downloads)

berntd Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Yes, I know but then the song tempo has to stay fixed, which makes practicing slower and performing faster impossible. Percentage is the only option but they should have allowed fractions as that is crucial.

Last edited by berntd; 04/22/21 10:21 PM.

Band in a Box

Veteran
Veteran
Yes, I know but then the song tempo has to stay fixed, which makes practicing slower and performing faster impossible. Percentage is the only option but they should have allowed fractions as that is crucial.

I totally agree.

I believe it has even asked for many, many times, and I guess it is technically possible, but the company has not delivered this feature so far. Maybe one day? Perhaps your added input to the wishlist may be helpful for them.

berntd Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Oh, so it is not just me then. :-)

Band in a Box

Veteran
Veteran

Well, possibly not.
Try your voice at the wish-list. Sometimes things are delivered. It's always worth a try. I will provide a vote of support. Good luck!

Veteran
Veteran

Nope, I'm in the same boat!

You probably will not like my solution but the only way to achieve this is to do it in a DAW with volume automation. You can increase or decrease the tempo anyplace in a song using this method, thus it will solve your problem.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
If you're using MIDI tracks, you can make notes seem to have a fermata effect by lengthening the notes in the PianoRoll. This will not work with RealTracks though because those are auto-generated only.

There are holds that you can place on chords in the Chords view, however, this does not adjust the tempo. Also, the chord will hold until a new chord is written, so it won't sound like a fermata on the first chord with another chord right after it.

Since the RealTracks are made from audio, it may or may not be feasible to make them lay fermatas on certain notes. But we will make a Wishlist report to development for making a fermata feature and see if they think it's possible.

Best,
Chantelle
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
That would be useful, Chantelle and thanks for passing along the idea. Since there are separately recorded Holds, it would seem it could be done technically for chordal instruments. Melody or Soloist, not sure.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
A
Apprentice
Apprentice
A
Going back to the "wish list" item. Rather than fractions, I would prefer an absolute percentage. So instead of the current change up or down by a percentage have a way of saying set it to this percentage of the nominal speed. Then you could say things like set it to 75%, then back to 100%. This would avoid the messy stuff like -25% and +33.333333%

Andy

berntd Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks folks!

Right now, just drum strokes would be ok for me.

I played around last night with adding an extra bar with silence and increasing its tempo by various amounts and then decreasing it again as close to original as possible, given the fraction limitations.
For further correction, I then decreased or increased it again on the second bar. That gets back to orignal. At least for tempo 100.

As for musical outcome of the above, it is soso. Because of the complete silence, it is very difficult to gauge the tempo when performing and then the syncronization at the next normal beat is off. It is hit and miss.

@Andy, what can work too. A 'back to normal' button or setting for tempo.

@Chantelle, Thank you, so it is called fermata!

Regards
Bernt

Last edited by berntd; 04/23/21 12:02 PM.

Band in a Box

L
Veteran
Veteran
L
I guess I was too slow in posting! lol

berntd Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Originally Posted By: Lloyd S
I guess I was too slow in posting! lol

Only momentarily :-)
Thanks for that. I will check it out today.

I would love to see the original sheet music thank you.

I inserted a bar yesterday with 3 beats.
That however seemed to stuff up the realtracks for the bars thereafter. Even when I changed it to 4 bars on the next bar again.

Band in a Box

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
The Italian term 'fermata' just means either 'hold' or 'pause' and can mean either a note that is held for an uncertain amount of time, or a rest that is the same. It would be nice to have but at present has to be simulated, and only to the precision of one beat at a time.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
berntd Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
@LLoyd,

I checked it out. That midi file is actually quite good. I am not sure how one could do that with a Reealtracks style.

I am still studying your chords but I see what you mean.

regards
Bernt

Band in a Box

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,689
Posts736,022
Members38,541
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
hcginjections2024, carloncho, jofigueroajr, Zunzez, Isrra29
38,540 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 176