Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
I've encountered the Chord-Exchange Tool and the Reharmonization Tool today, and I appreciate the general existence of those tools - but I'm quite on the beginner side, and therefore I neither understand the tools themselves good enough nor could I judge what would work musically (nor could I play any complex harmony - plus: complex harmony makes it unnecessarily difficult for me to even read a chord sheet). Therefore I'd wish that BiaB would offer a feature as follows:

• Status before using the feature: The user already has his melody in BiaB - wherever that comes from (e.g. the melody of a stye demo song).
  • Now the user can click on a button - wherever that button is integrated, but for sure preferably in a menu or dialogue box where he'll easily find it ;-)
  • Result: The user gets an automatically generated chordsheet that fits to his melody but is as simple as possible (if possible for that melody: no sus-Chords, no 7th-Chords, 1 Chord per bar, and the like).

This would make BiaB much more beginner-friendly.

And if then the beginner wants to make his song more interesting, he can then still try out more sophisticated tools (like the above mentioned Chord-Exchange Tool and the Reharmonization Tool) in order to enrich his song bottom-up.

BiaB Pro 2022; Windows 10
Bass: Intermediate; Piano: Beginner
I came to this forum in order to suggest feature improvements for non-professional musicians like myself that use BiaB mainly as a playalong tool and as a learning tool
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
A few questions if I may. Lets say you import the melody for "Stille Nacht, heilige Nacht" or "Silent Night" in English.

Does it make a difference if the imported melody is MIDI or audio? What if the imported melody key signature is unknown? How is the key signature determined? How is the beat determined?

While I like your idea I don't think it could be implemented with any degree of success. Band-in-a-Box has both MIDI and audio analyzers built-in. Both rely of analyzing beat for tempo and chord structure for the key signature. When either beat or key signature can not be accurately determined both analyzers do not perform well.

In my estimation a single line, or note, melody does not provide enough information for an application to determine everything else.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Expert
Expert
C
I agree with Jim, a single melody or line is simply not enough information to create a chord progression that makes musical sense.

However, if you know the key signature of your melody, you can experiment with the melodist module:

https://www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2022full/chapter9.htm

BIAB 2024, latest build.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hey Jim and Cerio,

I thought of a given midi melody (e.g. the midi melody of a style picker demo song), not an audio melody - my mistake that I haven't made that clear enough in my initial posting. Therefore the bars would already be determined.

The key signature can be estimated by BiaB, resp. it can be suggested, as BiaB already does in other tools.

The melodist is another approach, since it creates a melody but does not analyze a given melody (and also it doesn't offer enough options to create a really beginner friendly harmony).

However, you can understand my suggestion as "if it's possible, I'd love to have it" ;-)

I came to this forum in order to suggest feature improvements for non-professional musicians like myself that use BiaB mainly as a playalong tool and as a learning tool
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
+1 with a "if it's possible, why not" limitation. smile

Sincerely, I'm not knocking the idea but wonder about the practicality of implementing it.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
+1 with a "if it's possible, why not" limitation.

It would be nice but I doubt that it will ever happen.

The problem I see is what chord can be determined by a note or two? For instance your first measure melody is C-Bb-A. Is the chord a C, C7, C6, Am, Am7b9, F, Fsus4, etc. Even if one wants simple chords is it a C, Am, F, etc.

Maybe this would work; have BiaB list a number of chords that possibly
could work and the user tries each one until he finds the chord that works for him. What do you think about this idea?

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Mario,

I'm not sure, since beginners often either don't have the background to judge what fits best or at least don't have the self confidence to decide this.
But how about this: BiaB would generate a complete simple chordsheet, but in the result it might also indicate bars where it offers simple alternatives. That would be only slightly different from your idea.

Anyway, what I had in mind initially was something like shown in this video, for example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRSKjJSeVJw

I'd think PG is so good at creating intelligent music tools, that it should be possible to bring such a kind of approach into BiaB.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
If the idea is to project a useful accompaniment for an existing song from the melody alone, I would say this is pretty well impossible, not because it's too hard, but because there will almost always be too many "solutions".

Sure, BIAB will always be able to come up with something, but if it's completely different from the way the song actually goes, why would you want that?

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Thanx for the video. The problem I have with it is that she assumes one knows chords and enough chord theory to make it work. I am assuming that your suggestion is for people with very little, if any, chord and theory knowledge. For instance it you know that F and A notes are in the F chord you wouldn't need BiaB to figure it out for you. Again YMMV

Your idea is a good one.

In all do respect I disagree with the "since beginners often either don't have the background to judge what fits best or at least don't have the self confidence to decide this" statement. One has to use their ears. If it sounds good it is good, regardless of what others think. Again YMMV

FWIW my view of music creation software is for musician's, meaning they should know something about music. It could be chord progressions all the way to advanced music theory. I look at it like I look at graphic creation software. I could purchase the most expensive graphic creation software but it still wouldn't make me an artist. I have problems just tracking my hand on a piece of paper!

BUT on the educational side your suggestion just might work. However with only a few notes it may be hard to determine what chord might fit. Thus I'm still a +1.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hey Mark and Mario,

maybe I should also mention which specific purpose of the suggested tool I'm thinking of:

Mainly, I'm thinking of this: A beginner wants to practice comping by playing along specific melodies. In this case it doesn't matter to him if then he'll have a C chord or an Am chord in a specific bar, as long as the chords are simple enough for him and work over his melody.

A second/side-effect could be that he might also learn something from BiaB about how to harmonize melodies.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: MoveToGroove
Mainly, I'm thinking of this: A beginner wants to practice comping by playing along specific melodies. In this case it doesn't matter to him if then he'll have a C chord or an Am chord in a specific bar, as long as the chords are simple enough for him and work over his melody.

But isn't this is a little esoteric for inclusion in the BIAB application? I mean, "Give me some chords to go with this melody, I really don't care what they are, and make them as simple as possible"? That seems like something more for a training application.

I do like the idea, though! I imagine a slider where you specify how challenging you want the accompaniment to be, from super-simple hymn-like arrangements to totally twisted ones where the chords fit the melody using deviant, dissonant harmonies.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hey Mark,

this is exactly the one and only reason why I bought BiaB: I want to use it for training purposes.
So for me, every other potential usage just might be a nice feature on top of that, some time later.

The slider idea is interesting btw.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
This might be only loosely / distantly related, but here is my cool recent software find:
https://lengua.la/hugoriemann/index.html

Talented Santiago made this little toy based on Hugo Riemann.
Click on map, then on chord...Then click and "pull" chord button with mouse. Colors represent relation.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Interesting link, Rusty, thanks! Just missing are the maps 3, 4 and 5 without sus-chords (since I think of sus-chords as final options within that range, rather than as the second stage).

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Mark Hayes

But isn't this is a little esoteric for inclusion in the BIAB application? I mean, "Give me some chords to go with this melody, I really don't care what they are, and make them as simple as possible"? That seems like something more for a training application.

I do like the idea, though! I imagine a slider where you specify how challenging you want the accompaniment to be, from super-simple hymn-like arrangements to totally twisted ones where the chords fit the melody using deviant, dissonant harmonies.

MovetoGroove, OK now I understand and think it is a good idea.

Mark, the slider idea is a good one. Especially if it ranges from simple triads to complex jazz chords, all of course inclusive to BiaB. I will add maybe it should have a save to chord sheet option. That way one could either practice two ways, lead to chords or chords to leads, or actually produce a song via the save.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: MarioD
MovetoGroove, OK now I understand and think it is a good idea. Mark, the slider idea is a good one. Especially if it ranges from simple triads to complex jazz chords, all of course inclusive to BiaB.

Imagine a dynamic slider, where complexity starts at 0 and increases to 11 over the course of several repetitions.

Throw in a dynamic tempo slider that starts slow and speeds the piece up.

Toss in random key variations and your music student will be gasping for air like a pitbull on a treadmill! =8^)

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Mario, you can tell your student then that it's all Mark's responsibility, so that he won't cancel your lessons grin

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Mario, you can tell your student then that it's all Mark's responsibility, so that he won't cancel your lessons grin

Good idea! Mark it is all your fault grin

Mark, did you play for Spinal Tap? I mean a slider that goes to 11 eek

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
haha grin

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Mark, did you play for Spinal Tap? I mean a slider that goes to 11 eek

That movie is in my cultural DNA at this point. I just wouldn't have said "starts at 0 and goes to 10".

Nigel Tufnel: The numbers all go to eleven. Look, right across the board, eleven, eleven, eleven and...

Marty DiBergi: Oh, I see. And most amps go up to ten?

Nigel Tufnel: Exactly.

Marty DiBergi: Does that mean it's louder? Is it any louder?

Nigel Tufnel: Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?

Marty DiBergi: I don't know.

Nigel Tufnel: Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?

Marty DiBergi: Put it up to eleven.

Nigel Tufnel: Eleven. Exactly. One louder.

Marty DiBergi: Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?

Nigel Tufnel: [pause] These go to eleven.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xgx4k83zzc

Last edited by Mark Hayes; 12/19/21 07:48 AM.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,673
Posts735,781
Members38,535
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
adolesentcodger, Elizabeth Stephen, Jeffrey thomas, skyanderson3, akbrpra
38,534 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 176