Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
RealBand
plotzie Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
As you can see my poor old trusty notebook (specs below) is struggling to run many tracks especially when I add effects
I'm gonna keep it for gigs (BIAB backtrax) and invest in a new desktop for my studio
Any advice on a powerful desktop that will grow with me?
I am very quality conscious

Intel® Core™2 Quad Q8400, 2.66 GHz. 4 MB L2 cache 1333 MHz FSB, 8MB DDR3 DRAM. HDs 1320MB Win7 64bit. BB2010.ver 304 Reaper DAW. Melodyne Editor
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Assuming a name brand vendor (such as HP or Dell, etc) I would buy the fastest processor I could afford, but with the least amount of memory and smallest hard drive they have. I would then order the memory hard drive space I wanted from somewhere like newegg.com.

I remember when I bought my HP, it came standard with 2GB RAM. I wanted 4GB RAM. HP wanted something like $200 to increase from 2GB to 4GB. Instead, I took the 2GB box, went to NewEgg and purchased 4GB for about $80 and it's worked great ever since. I took the $120 savings and purchased the sound card I wanted. I think for hard drives, I ended up expanding my disk space for about half of what HP wanted to charge.

But that's just me and I have no problem rooting around inside the computer case.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
RealBand
M
Expert
Expert
M
plotzie.
see my tips in the tips n triks section.
lotsa info. save me retyping lots plus i'm not well. . flu.

retired puter engr....powertracks on amd......NICE !
"what is the black art of audio engineering ?"
my silly songs...motagator.com/bmanning
see my tips in the tips section.
RealBand
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I always build my own. If you buy all the parts at the same place and not some off beat stuff it is really easy. The last one has ran like a champ for 7 years.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Try Newegg for this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/NewProduct.aspx?Item=N82E16883107984

That is a quad core AMD processor, with tons of RAM and a 750GB hard drive. You can add a 500GB hard drive for about $70.

The power supply is 300 watt no name, and I would recommend upgrading that to something a little more powerful, say a 500 watt or something in that range.

No PCI slots, so if you have a PCI sound card, don't buy this. It has only PCI-e, on x16 for graphics and 2 or three x1 for everything else. Asus makes the Xonar D2X sound card which has PCI-e. There are really only three manufacturers of computer sound cards that support PCI-e, and that's Creative, Asus and AuzenTech, and AuzenTech still uses Creative chips. I like my Asus card, it offers 7.1, coaxial and optical digital ins and outs. It is expensive, however. If you're going to go Firewire <shudders> or USB <semi-shudder> then you should be pretty well off, as far as your audio interface goes.

If you're planning on gaming on this system, it'll support lower end games, WoW, Second Life, Sims, but if you want to run COD4, Crysis, etc., you're going to need to do a major upgrade to the video system.

Or, if you don't mind building your own, you can start here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.311917

...and work your way down.

If you're handy with a screwdriver, and know your way around the inside of a computer, you might try something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.319352

You'll still need some extras, like a CPU cooling fan:
I like Zalman. http://www.newegg.com/Product/NewProduct.aspx?Item=N82E16835118056

You'll need a video card, but for audio only, and not gaming, that's not a huge issue:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/NewProduct.aspx?Item=N82E16814102843

Something like that would be a good, general video card, if you want to go blow up some people when you're not making music.

Finally, you'll need an OS.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/NewProduct.aspx?Item=N82E16832116754

Your choice on 32 bit or 64 bit, but 64 bit takes advantage of everything in that package.

Gary

I'm blessed watching God do what He does best. I've had a few rough years, and I'm still not back to where I want to be, but I'm on the way and things are looking far better now than what they were!
RealBand
F
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
F
There are so many choices out there...

If you want to shop for systems that are pre-packaged for music apps, check out musiciansfriend.com

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/computers-peripherals

If you are going with components, another good place to shop is tigerdirect.com. They also have everything from bare bones systems to top of the line gaming machines. Usually they are pretty competitive.

Good luck.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Of course, the other issue is that our OP lives in Johannasburg, South Africa. Somehow I don't think either Newegg or Musician's Friend is delivering there.

However, the stuff that we've posted can at least be an example of what we might suggest.

Gary

I'm blessed watching God do what He does best. I've had a few rough years, and I'm still not back to where I want to be, but I'm on the way and things are looking far better now than what they were!
RealBand
plotzie Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thanks guys for your valued advice. I have purchased an HP with 3 year 24hr response onsite warranty
Processor type Intel® Core™2 Quad Q8400 Processor
• 2.66 GHz, 4 MB L2 cache, 1333 MHz front side bus (with Win 7 64bit) I'll soon upgrade to 8 mb
I got this at a Ridiculous price. Also a 20"LCD monitor
I'm gonna run my Compaq notebook at gigs with BIAB 2010
Thanx again

Intel® Core™2 Quad Q8400, 2.66 GHz. 4 MB L2 cache 1333 MHz FSB, 8MB DDR3 DRAM. HDs 1320MB Win7 64bit. BB2010.ver 304 Reaper DAW. Melodyne Editor
RealBand
M
Expert
Expert
M
plotzie
as soon as you get your new system run dpc latency checker on it n
strip stuff out that might cause red spikes.

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

also spend an extra 70 buks and install a second drive 7200 rpm
with 32 mb cache as a dedicated recording drive.
thats what i would do.

retired puter engr....powertracks on amd......NICE !
"what is the black art of audio engineering ?"
my silly songs...motagator.com/bmanning
see my tips in the tips section.
RealBand
plotzie Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Txs a mill. I have just downloaded the latency checker and I already have a Seagate USB 500gb HDD. What do you mean by "dedicated recording drive"?
My new PC will only be used for BB/RB/Reaper etc. No games or mail etc

RealBand
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Sometimes it is a good idea to have a second drive on the system so you can store all the audio and midi data there. This leave the primary drive to run the programs, and allows it to stream the music files from the second drive. If the mother board has two drive busses, and most do this helps out the process.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
RealBand
plotzie Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thax all for valued advice. As you can see I have my new gear up and running. Not one error (BB,RB M-Audio Fast track pro) All on Win 7 64 bit
Regards
Plotzie

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,771
Posts737,163
Members38,578
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Nickolas, philou33, Elvis Nash, randy gollard, palasound
38,578 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 180