User Showcase
D
Deej56 Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
D
Hi, all:

Here’s something new . . . another sad, broken heart ballad . . . but I think it’s ready to go and I hope you enjoy the listen. As always, much thanks in for the spins and feedback.

Stay safe and stay well, all—

Deej

Here’s the song:

NOWHERE ELSE TO GO

Here are the lyrics:

So much for my sunny days
My blue skies have changed
To a bitter shade of grey
And a cold rain is falling
Ever since you went away
I ask everyone where you’ve gone
But no one seems to know
You up and disappeared
And left me sitting here
With nowhere else to go

Enough of empty platitudes
Kind words will never do
To change my solitude
Because a broken voice is calling
Forever crying out for you
And I pray each night
The morning light
Will chase the dark shadows
Still it finds me here
Alone with all my fears
And nowhere else to go

Too many truths remain unspoken
My love for you remains unbroken
My heart’s still open

Someday the sun will shine again
But I can’t pretend
I’ll ever feel warmer then
Because this cold rain keeps falling
And it ain’t ever gonna end
So I’m giving in
To this winter wind
It’s always gonna blow
I’ll just keep sitting here
With these icy tears
And nowhere else to go

Yeah, I’ll be very clear
I’ll just be wasting here
With nowhere else to go

And here’s the band:

RealTracks 2474: Bass, Acoustic, Held
RealTracks 1602: Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm Pop16 Ev16 065
RealTracks 1600: Guitar, High-Strung Acoustic, Rhythm Pop16ths
RealTracks 2016: Sax, Tenor, Soloist CountryShuffleMark Sw 120
RealTracks 1543: Synth Pad, PopBelieve
RealTracks 3067: Multi[Simultaneous=2] VocalAahs
RealDrums: PraiseWorshipSlow16ths^3

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Oh my word. Genius. Sheer genius. You know I love your songs, particularly when they are in "heartbreak mode". I am writing on my cell phone, so will come back with a more detailed comment once I am on my laptop ... but just heard the song and just had to say how much I have enjoyed it. Details later ... but BRAVO.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Ok. Must "hold my enthusiasm in", sometimes, haha ... on the other hand, who cares about that.

1) LYRICS. Wow, wow, wow.

"Enough of empty platitudes
Kind words will never do
To change my solitude
Because a broken voice is calling
Forever crying out for you".

(to mention but a few lines ... the beginning lines, too, just grabbed my attention and held me there)

You are a poet as well as a complete singer and composer/creator of stunning music. Because you write music and sing so well, I don't think the power of your lyrics are mentioned enough. So here I am, to (at least partially) right that wrong, in my "enthusiastic" way - so sue me, everybody, this guy deserves enthusiasm :-)

2) The way you wrote and sing this song makes me think of Queen's Brian May, in some ways. But this is you. It's Deej, from the first note to the last.

3) You're so direct in your songs, I don't know how you do it. I, for one, tend to go round and round. You go to the point - I've told you this before. You say what you have to say, in a way that breaks the heart of the listener, because the singer's heart is so much on his sleeve ... and that's it. No messing around, no convoluted ways of saying something which can be said concisely. Bravo.

4) I don't know how you manage to write these heartbreak songs ... I've listened to so many different kinds of songs of yours, and they are all great ... I just don't know what the emotional toll is on you, as a writer, when you write something like this - for me, personally, if I want to write something even remotely close to this, it can be draining, emotionally. But - however you do it, you do it ... and for that, especially for the fact that you're sharing your music with us, and that I've been lucky enough to find it in this otherwise saturated world, I am immensely grateful. Thanks.

These are first impressions ... will add to this post if I can think of more :-) Sincerely, well done.

P.S. your VOICE sounds better than ever. Direct, open, communicative ... the sound carries well and communicates the feel of the song, more than ever, I feel. I like the open sound of the backing instruments, too ... some may like them more rounded, I don't ... I like this open sound. Well done.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
You are the Heartbroken Prince.
Structurally interesting and lyrically, as always, filled with phrases that essay the topic superbly.
Your voice & melodies are the winners though - ace.
Personally I'm not keen of the woolly bass or the pinched reed sax but they are barely noticed once you begin to sing.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Dang, you are so good at this, Deej. I can listen to your unique vocals sing anything, but when you write such beautiful melodies and words there is an overwhelming abundance of goodness. What a good write. I may not be a fan of the sax solo, but pretty much any solo would be just a part where we digest what's you've said and wait for more. I'd also like to hear the bass play more than just half and whole notes (mostly), but you are encouraged to ignore me on that point because I probably have mucked up a song or two by overplaying.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Deej...this is beautiful and moving...your voice and delivery reminds me of Robin Gibb in "Massachusetts"...filled with angst and the style and melody of something The Bee Gees might compose...some of my favorite artists by the way...we all get the sad songs...they resonate in all of us to some degree and this one is sad...but as Shakespeare might say "such sweet sadness"...loved the melody and chord changes...great job...Dan

www.soundclick.com/firesong
BiaB 2024, Steinberg Cubase Pro 13, Wavelab 11.2, SpetraLayers Pro 10, Audacity, Steinberg UR44 Interface, Yamaha Genos, Roland FP60 and FP10, Windows 10

You are who you are because you do what you do because of what you believe.
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Deej, it's hard to come up with a comment already given, but I agree with them all. Exceptional write, sung with the emotion of a great voice. Fantastic mix. It all comes down to the song, and man this is a good one.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Deej,
Really well composed tune. Terrific vocal performance! A+ lyrics and phrasing. Definitely a winner. Clear mix, easy listen. Enjoyed it and thank you for sharing.

Misha.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Deej

Every time you do one of these ballads, you keep upping your game! You've always done excellent work and this one just builds on that! Your vocals are always emotive and very expressive! This one is a beautiful tune that will certainly resonate with many listeners!

Thanks, Torrey

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Very nice work.... man, you sure write some really well crafted lyrics. And then you match them up with interesting chords and melody.

One of the people I look forward to hearing the new stuff from..... that would be you.

I enjoyed the wistful sound of your vocals on this. I'll most likely be back later to listen on my buds for a better experience of this tasty tidbit of music.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Deej,

As always, this is OVER THE TOP GOOD! You are an exceptional writer and singer.

Loved it!

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Deej,

A well-written song. Excellent melody. And your always excellent vocals. Impassioned.

Mix is good.
I will disagree with our resident bass players - for a full piano ballad like this, I think a truly simple bass line is best - sounds good to me.
Nice job of finding an appropriate piano RT to carry the full-piano-ballad idea (not always an easy thing to do).
Personally, I would prefer the piano to be warmer.

Another excellent offering.

fj

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran

Deej,

All of your music has an epic quality to it, and I couldn't care less how you decide to produce it. smile

Let me explain: I recognize an artist is at work and I am just going to assume you made the artistic choices you darned well wanted to make as an artist. So I just sit back, close my eyes and go along for the ride.

There is NO QUESTION you know what you are doing word by word and beat by beat.

Some real goosebump stuff, all the time.

I know the word is overused, but I think this is epic.

Great job man.

User Showcase
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Superb write, arrangement and performance. The vocals are really top notch. Excellent.

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Wow what a awesome song Deej. The chord progressions and your heart wrenching vocal knocked this song out of the park. Really cool song. Well done

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Your passionate vocal and the lovely piano make this mournful lyric into a beautiful ballad.

The melody tugs at your heartstrings before the first verse is half over.

The mix is open and sounds very good on our monitors.

We hope the heartbreak songs make you as happy as the blues songs do us! smile

Enjoyed it!

J&B

User Showcase
D
Deej56 Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
D
Musician17, rayc, Marty, firesong, Brad, Misha, Torrey, Guitarhacker, Bob, Floyd, David, Charlie, Scott, and J&B:

I really appreciate the listens and all the feedback. Thank you all for giving this a spin and taking the time to comment. A few thoughts on some of the specific feedback:

Ray and Marty re the sax solo: I auditioned a variety of different instruments for that solo, starting with electric and then acoustic guitar, and finally settling on the sax. This RT seemed to work best. I actually like it, but that may be because my ears are expecting it. A friend listened to this tune recently and had a similar reaction as you. So, in short, I might need to revisit. Just not sure where to go with it.

Ray, Marty and Floyd re the bass: I really wanted the piano to carry this song, so didn’t want the bass to get too much in the way. So I went for simple. I initially had a second guitar in the song and got rid of it entirely for the same reason. That said, when it comes to mixing, drums and bass are the two areas where I still struggle getting the right sound.

Floyd re the piano: It feels like I auditioned every single piano RT for this, and this one seemed to work best. However, it was a bit brighter than some of the others. I did try to warm it up as much as I could, but I think you are right that it could go further . . . just need to figure out how, LOL!

Thanks again all. Stay safe, stay well.

Deej

User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Deej, this is your best to date IMHO

I agree with most all of what has been said. I differ on the bass, sax, and piano as I think they were a perfect fit for this song.

Fantastic vocal. It reminded me of the Bee Gees Robin Gibb.

Outstanding lyrics and backing band.

Loved it

My goal this weekend is to move just enough each day so that no one pokes me to see if I'm dead or not.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Deej,

Very few singers match your controlled passion; no wonder folks here love listening to you pour on the heartache.
The write is powerful and I liked the simple big ballad arrangement... with a slight question about the piano RT which I see you`ve answered already.
A goosebumps good from me!

Robert

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Your delivery of a sad ballad is right up there with all the great proponents of the style, Deej. Absolutely first class.
Regards,
Leon

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Italian for Windows is Here!

Ci siamo dati da fare e abbiamo aggiunto oltre 50 nuove funzionalità e una straordinaria raccolta di nuovi contenuti, tra cui 222 RealTracks, nuovi RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, Playable RealTracks Set 3, Playable RealDrums Set 2, due nuovi set di "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 e altro ancora!

Tutti Pacchetti | Nuove Caratteristiche

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 French for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 apporte plus de 50 fonctions nouvelles ainsi qu'une importante de contenus nouveaux à savoir : 222 RealTracks, des RealStyles nouveaux, des SuperTracks MIDI, des Etudes d'Instruments, des Prestations d'Artistes, des "Morceaux avec Choeurs", un Set 3 de Tracks Jouables, un Set 2 de RealDrums Jouables, deux nouveaux Sets de "RealDrums Stems", des Styles XPro PAK 6, des Xtra Styles PAK 17 et bien plus encore!

Tous Packages | Nouvelles Fonctionnalités

Video: Making a Song with Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V

Take your Band-in-a-Box® project to a whole new level when you incorporate ChatGPT and Synth V to add lyrics and vocals to your song!

We wanted to demonstrate how this is done with our video, where we show you how to go from nothing to a finished "radio ready" modern pop song by combining the features of Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V!

Listen to the finished song, so you get a listen to the finished product: https://demos.pgmusic.com/misc/behindthefame.m4a

If you like it, watch the video. Either way, let's hear your comments!

Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,912
Posts738,775
Members38,615
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Jim Gear, gdl68, that_bear_there, TwoHandsDown, reidmakesmusic
38,615 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 160