Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#103737 - 01/31/11 01:39 PM [User Showcase] Re: Moonlight Dances In Her Eyes [Re: Brallan]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Hey Dan,

The other day I was listening to a country song and I thought my ears were playing tricks on me. The bass was practically mia. Also weird and this has been going on for quite a while now - they make different mixes of the same country song for different "charts". Country gets one and A/C gets another. So when you hear a "crossover" you're not even hearing the same mix cross over. I like some of the country songs today but the sound not so much on a lot of them.

Thanks for the reassurance on the vox level.

#103738 - 01/31/11 02:39 PM [User Showcase] Re: Moonlight Dances In Her Eyes [Re: Sundance]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Skyline John,
I'm so glad you like it. I love the way you arrange your songs. Thank you so much.

Steve,
You are also one of my fav arrangers. Thank you so much for the thumbs up.

Mick,
Wow, I'm humbled and thrilled. Anybody reading this who doesn't know, Mick played with the greats - he oozes soul. Thank you so much.

Brad,
I know what you mean. It's easy to get busy with all the tempting choices in the RTs. I start with lots of sounds and then cut, cut, cut - could probably cut more. I'm paying more attention to that. Thank you so much.

It's a great feeling this song is resonating with so many of you. I'm also happy so many of ya'll like the vocal. To me, it's all about getting the "feel". Sometimes you get lucky and it happens sooner than later when there's no real pressure cause it's just a "scratch" - maybe a head trip kind of thing.

#103739 - 01/31/11 06:49 PM [User Showcase] Re: Moonlight Dances In Her Eyes [Re: Sundance]
Loc: Sacramento, California
dcuny Online   content
Veteran

Hi, Josie.

Thanks for posting! It's a strong song that stands up well to multiple plays. First, the positive:
  • You've got a good, memorable chorus.
  • You have a nice voice, and it sounds great here.
  • Good mix! That is, my first listen yesterday was in a very noisy room (bathwater running, kids playing video games), but playing in a quiet room gives the same impression.
  • Just about the time I started thinking "a bit of harmony would be nice here..." the harmony kicked in.
  • The instrumentation is good and (mostly) unobtrusive. I really like the piano, and how it's used.

Less positive (and very subjective):
  • My first impression of the melody was that it's sort of generic, with that "back and forth" feel as you bounce between chords. It's not that it's bad or wrong, it just seems unmemorable and not at the level of the chorus.
  • That "twangy" electric guitar seems to stick out of the mix. But I don't know the genre very well, so it might be appropriate.
  • In the chorus, each held note seems to have a lot of vibrato. Perhaps it's because of the harmony?
Anyway, I enjoyed listening.

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#103740 - 02/01/11 01:30 PM [User Showcase] Re: Moonlight Dances In Her Eyes [Re: dcuny]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Hey David,

Thanks for listening. I appreciate your thoughts - pro and con. I must admit that I got a chuckle out of the twangy guitar - twang is a country thang. LOL. But I know what you mean too much twang isn't necessarily my thang either.

My friend, i totally don't mean this in a bad way, so please don't take it wrong - but I've noticed you focus on this in many of your comments on other's songs as well so I'm going to say this as my opinion from one trained singer to another. Somebody, I'm guessing a voice teacher, has got you way to hung up on vibrato. To me it's just another singing tool with fast, slow, more, less, held, not held - all kinds of ways to use it depending on the singer and the song. Beyond classic chorale and training no hard rules apply in most genres - it's just a choice like cream in coffee or spice in chili.

Thank you so much for your perspective. I'm glad you enjoyed the song. Oh yeah, and thanks again for the tip on that thread about mixing on the reaper forum - it was great - one of the best discussions on mixing I've ever read.

Edited by Sundance (02/01/11 01:32 PM)

#103741 - 02/01/11 02:02 PM [User Showcase] Re: Moonlight Dances In Her Eyes [Re: Sundance]
dcuny Online   content
Veteran

Quote:

Somebody, I'm guessing a voice teacher, has got you way to hung up on vibrato.

No, the only one to blame here is me.

Thanks for your gracious hint - I'll try to be bite my tongue about this in the future.

And I'm glad you enjoyed the mixing thread!

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#103742 - 02/02/11 07:02 PM [User Showcase] Re: Moonlight Dances In Her Eyes [Re: Sundance]
Loc: Louisiana
Marty Wittmann Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Louisiana
Hi Josie,
You just keep churning those great tunes! Your voice as wonderful as usual. My only nit pick is the harmonizer is not as good as your own natural harmony that I have heard on your other songs.. The high part is too high IMHO. The mix and mastering was excellent as was the lyrics. You got a hit here.

Josie you are one talented lady.
Marty

Band In A Box (current) Sonar Producer X2, Windows 7, 16 Gigs Ram, Quad Core, AMD Processor, Alesis MK2 Monitors, Roland Quad Capture Audio Interface,

#103743 - 02/07/11 08:02 PM [User Showcase] Re: Moonlight Dances In Her Eyes [Re: dcuny]
Loc: <----- behind here
PRearden Offline
Apprentice

Loc: <----- behind here
Quote:

I'll try to be bite my tongue about this in the future.

Here it is! Stomp on the person who has criticism until they shut-up. All that is left is empty praise. This is what the "showcase" hass become. Maybe that is what it is supposed to be, but I don't find it very helpful.

I think we need a "workshop" thread where people can share their constrctive opinion and not be ranted down. Ppl who aren't seeking that sort ofd input or just want an ego stroke can post here.

#103744 - 02/07/11 09:42 PM [User Showcase] Re: Moonlight Dances In Her Eyes [Re: PRearden]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

PRearden,
Quote:

Here it is! Stomp on the person who has criticism until they shut-up. All that is left is empty praise. This is what the "showcase" hass become. Maybe that is what it is supposed to be, but I don't find it very helpful.

David and I have no problem as far as I know and I've spoken to him since the post you quoted. Most of us here have gotten to know and respect each other. Many of us actually like each other.

If you want to comment on my song feel free. If you don't like the way I respond to people it's easy to simply avoid my posts. I think there's an ignore option altho I've never used it.

If you are truly looking for something "helpful" why not post a song of yours that you've created with the program - it's fun and you'll learn lots from the experience.

if you want to complain about the users showcase then I kindly ask that you start a thread on that subject in the off topic forum where you can say everything you want to say and get feedback from every one.

I'd appreciate it very much if the focus here on my song thread can stay on my song.

Thank you.

#103745 - 02/07/11 09:43 PM [User Showcase] Re: Moonlight Dances In Her Eyes [Re: Sundance]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Hey Marty,

Glad to see you back - been missing you around here. Thanks for the listen!

#103746 - 02/07/11 10:26 PM [User Showcase] Re: Moonlight Dances In Her Eyes [Re: Sundance]
Loc: Kentucky
PgFantastic Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kentucky
Took my first listen. Excellent work. Superb vocal work. Thanks for sharing!

My Music
Read My Blog
My Reverbnation

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.

#103747 - 02/07/11 10:33 PM [User Showcase] Re: Moonlight Dances In Her Eyes [Re: PgFantastic]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Hey Robert,

Thank you so much! Glad you enjoyed it.

#103748 - 02/08/11 01:36 PM [User Showcase] Re: Moonlight Dances In Her Eyes [Re: Sundance]
Loc: Venezuela
CarlosEArellano Offline
Productor Musical

Loc: Venezuela
Moonlight Dances In Her Eyes: a sweet voice, great song and lyrics, music and mixing, plus a overall pro quality, led by the baton of a beautiful and talented girl: Josie.
Thanks!

#103749 - 02/08/11 09:07 PM [User Showcase] Re: Moonlight Dances In Her Eyes [Re: CarlosEArellano]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Hey Carlos!

I am blushing and grinning. Thank you so much!

BTW, cool avatar

#103750 - 02/09/11 07:35 AM [User Showcase] Re: Moonlight Dances In Her Eyes [Re: Sundance]
Loc: Switzerland
Pierre Julien Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Switzerland
Hi Josie

Just listened to your song today. I must admit that country music is not my cup of tea, even if your song is not what I'd call pure country (well in my book at least).

That being said, I must say that I was completely charmed by the whole song. Arrangement, lyrics, your voice...

To my ears, everything seems to be in the right place at the right moment. All these elements contribute in creating a continuous flow, that makes listening an enjoyment for beginning to end.

Thanks for sharing.

Edited by Pierre Julien (02/09/11 12:40 PM)

Pierre

IMac OSX 10.6.5 / latest BIAB
vista BIAB 2008

#103751 - 02/09/11 08:56 PM [User Showcase] Re: Moonlight Dances In Her Eyes [Re: Pierre Julien]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Hey Pierre,

I really appreciate your kind comments. I'm so glad you enjoyed the song.

Thank you so much!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 on a USB 3.0 Hard Drive - Speed Thrills!

We're excited to say that all Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows UltraPAK and UltraPAK+ orders now ship on a USB 3.0 hard drive!

What does this mean? Faster hard drive transfer rates will enhance the program operations (faster time to generate tracks, reduced audio artifacts) and offer faster transfer speeds (typically up to 3x faster)!

It's a great time to order your UltraPAK or UltraPAK+ Upgrade... they're ON SALE until December 31st!

Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK $469
Upgrade from Version 2018: [color:#FF0000]$149[/color] (reg: $279)
Upgrade from Version 2017 or earlier or crossgrade: [color:#FF0000]$169[/color] (reg: $299)

Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK+ $569
Upgrade from Version 2018: [color:#FF0000]$179[/color] (reg: $379)
Upgrade from Version 2017 or earlier or crossgrade: [color:#FF0000]$199[/color] (reg: $399)
Note: The difference between the UltraPAK and the UltraPAK+ is that the MIDI Songs & Lessons PAK is included in the UltraPAK+ package.

Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® New Features!

Our "Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content!" video is now ready! Get to know all about the newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2019: Click here to watch...

We have listed a table of contents for this video, you'll see it within the YouTube video description, or by visiting this forum post.

RealBand 2019 - A New Look!

Have you opened up your RealBand 2019 yet? You may notice that we've given it a fresh new look! In fact, there are now 3 different looks to RealBand.

See for yourself! Within the program, visit Options | Icon Set and choose from: Classic, Modern 1, or Modern 2.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows - Choosing to Run 64-bit or 32-bit

We heard you! With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows we've included the BRAND NEW 64-bit version of Band-in-a-Box®, which works well with the latest plugins and 64-bit OS features! Because not everyone has a 64-bit computer, we include both the 64-bit and 32-bit versions with your purchase - you choose which one to use!

By default, when you install your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows the 32-bit version will run.

The steps to run the 64-bit version are simple! Just head to your "bb" folder and choose the "bbw64" icon - you'll notice that the Band-in-a-Box® "splash screen" will state "64-bit" as the program opens.
(and if you open the 32-bit version, the "splash screen" will state "32-bit")

Still not certain which version you're running? Within the program, go to Help | About Band-in-a-Box - it'll either state:

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2019 (604)
<--- the number in brackets is the build number - this will change as new patch updates are released
64 bit application

or:

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2019 (604)
<--- the number in brackets is the build number - this will change as new patch updates are released
32 bit application

We hope everyone who can is enjoying their Band-in-a-Box® 2019 64-bit version for Windows!

NEW! Style-style-style Additions and Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows!

With over 64 new features and enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019, we've made sure to add to, enhance, and update some of the Style features within the program: StylePicker, StyleMaker, and Song Titles browser within the StylePicker!

StylePicker Enhancements:
-If the style list needs rebuild, it tells you that within the StylePicker, instead of a message that requires a response.
-The rebuild is faster than before by 75%. It takes 1/4 of the time now.
-While the style list is being rebuilt, you can see the progress inside the StylePicker.
-The style list can be filtered by a specific RealTracks/RealDrums/MIDI SuperTracks or RealTracks/MIDI SuperTracks in a certain number range.
-You can filter the style list by a specific Xtra Styles PAK.
-The dialog to select an Xtra Styles PAK has a button to take you to the PG Music website that shows information about Xtra Styles PAKs.
-The StylePicker can list all styles (including N/A styles) in the default display.
-The Set number display is improved, including sort by type and Xtra styles.

StyleMaker Improvements:

-The new MIDI velocity offset allows you to make styles with altered loudness for MIDI tracks.
-Styles can be saved with information like a memo, examples, genres, and more, which will be displayed in the StylePicker.
-You can import information from another style. This is useful when you are making a similar style.
-A style can have a huge number of RealTracks (up to 70!) because the StyleMaker now supports RealTracks multi/medley feature, which allows a single track to have up to 10 simultaneous playing of RealTracks.

Song Titles Browser Enhancement

-We’ve added 300 more song titles including requests from users, so there are now over 10,600 titles.
-The chord density filter is available, and it’s also displayed in the memo.
-The chord complexity filter is available.

Review all the new features of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 here.

NEW! Traditional Celtic Tunes with Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly

Purchase Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows during our special (which ends December 31st), and you can add the 49-PAK to your order for just $49!

Among the great Add-ons included in the 49-PAK is our Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly, which includes 18 traditional Celtic tunes! You'll find beautifully performed songs like Boys of Bluehill, The Cliffs of Moher, Harvest Home, Rolling in the Rye Glass, and more!

The Celtic RealTracks backing up performances by Geoff Kelly sound amazing, and so do the duets with previous Artist Performance musician Daniel Lapp (on fiddle)! Listen to all the demos for these Artists Performances near the bottom of our Bonus PAKs page, here.

Here's a taste: Demo: Rolling in the Rye Grass

The Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Bonus PAKs!

Purchase Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows during our special (which ends December 31st), and you'll receive a FREE Bonus PAK overflowing with great Add-ons, including MIDI SuperTracks Set 28: Pop Basses with 6 MIDI SuperTracks, 21 RealDrums Transcriptions, 120 guitar licks and riffs in Instrumental Studies 7: Brent Mason 12-key CountryPop Guitar Licks, and 15 new MIDI Styles!

Or, upgrade it to the 49-PAK for just $49 and you'll add 40 UNRELEASED RealTracks, 10 "Low Man" & Re-amped "12-Key" Metal/Thrash Electric Guitar RealTracks, 6 more MIDI SuperTracks with Set 29: More Organ, Piano & Accordion, 120 more guitar licks and riffs with Instrumental Studies 8: Brent Mason 12-key Train-Beat Licks, 15 more MIDI Styles, and Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly!

Watch the video highlighting our 49-PAK here, or listen to demos and learn more here.

Free Bonus PAK Contents:
-Look Ma! More MIDI 1
-21 RealDrums Transcriptions
-MIDI SuperTracks Set 28: Pop Basses
-Instrumental Studies 7: Brent Mason 12-key CountryPop Guitar Licks

2019 49-PAK Contents:
-40 Bonus RealTracks!
-10 "Low Man" and Re-amped "12-Key" Metal/Thrash Electric Guitar RealTracks
-Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly
-Instrumental Studies 8: Brent Mason 12-key Train-Beat Licks
-Look Ma! More MIDI 2
-MIDI SuperTracks Set 29: More Organ, Piano & Accordion