Loc: Florida
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Style is CRAY1.STY
Style Instruments are : Fender Bass (34),,
RealTracks in song: :Organ, B3, Background Blues Roadhouse Ev 120
RealDrums in Song: RockHardLA^1-ClsdHt,HlfOpHt
Added Guitars and Vocals mixed and mastered in Garageband.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10708329

Life Of A Gun

He brought it home from the pawnshop in the pocket of his army coat

He laid it on the kitchen table he could almost smell the smoke

He pointed it in the mirror and said you lookin at me son

It’s just another day in the life of a gun

He found him standing on the corner and walked up to him real slow

I heard you’re sellin some young ones he handed him a bullet and said you better go

the next ones comin faster and you had better run

Blood spilled on the sidewalk blood splashed on the street

The outline of a criminal was drawn for all to see

He looked down at his trembling hands and said man what have i done

#115812 - 06/02/11 10:16 PM [User Showcase] Re: Life Of A Gun [Re: tommyad]
Loc: Canyon Lake, TX
Steve Young Offline
Expert

Loc: Canyon Lake, TX
Tommy,

Nice job on this one. I really liked your guitar work on this. Nice mix. Keep up the good work.

Steve

#115813 - 06/02/11 10:20 PM [User Showcase] Re: Life Of A Gun [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Woodstock, NY
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: Woodstock, NY
Tom,

This is excellent! Love the instrumentation and vocal. I can hear some Stax-Volt sound in here - very nice...

Bob

#115814 - 06/02/11 10:46 PM [User Showcase] Re: Life Of A Gun [Re: tommyad]
Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Ian Fraser Offline
Expert

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Tommy I'm an old folkie and currently play around with varying tempos of country
but I Love The Grit of this tune and the instrumentation. The B3 takes me back to college days
and dancing to the Spencer Davis Group.

So how did this song come about? Dare I ask?
I find sometimes I can just load a certain style and the lyrics are ready to write themselves. Strange how that happens.

Anyway - great song - Ian

#115815 - 06/03/11 07:47 AM [User Showcase] Re: Life Of A Gun [Re: Ian Fraser]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Ian, Back in the day, I learned to play keyboards after hearing Stevie W with Spencer Davis. Nobody Knows when youre down and out. A killer rendition. Short answer- Going thru styles I had the concept of a song from the guns point of view. Style fit. Changed out the drums and B3. Added rhythm and lead and vocal. Done and in the can in an hour. I play a variation of this solo live every weekend for the last twenty years so that was one take. Lyrics are based on the movie Taxi Driver. A very fast write. This style is a tribute to the great bluesman Robert Cray. Thanks for asking and for listening. Tom

#115816 - 06/03/11 05:44 PM [User Showcase] Re: Life Of A Gun [Re: tommyad]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hi Tommy,

What a great sound you've got happening with this one! You managed to pull me right into the heart of the mix. I was with you all the way. It's a great hook, too, "A day in the life of a gun".

Regards,
Noel

#115817 - 06/07/11 04:20 PM [User Showcase] Re: Life Of A Gun [Re: tommyad]
Loc: US
redguitars Offline
Journeyman

Loc: US
Tom,
I just listened to this. Another great hook. I assume you're playing a Strat. What ever it is, it's a great guitar sound and really nice playing. Don't you love nailing the guitar in one take. I love when that happens.
The vocals were just right. The lyrics take you right there. It's a solid song.
You used the Cray Style. I used that style on my first new recording. It's a good style. Well done, You got a fan here,
Wayne,

#115818 - 08/30/11 08:14 PM [User Showcase] Re: Life Of A Gun [Re: redguitars]
Loc: <----- behind here
PRearden Offline
Apprentice

Loc: <----- behind here
Like your playing here. Hooky... wish I had that talent. But dude, guns don't kill people. People kill people.

#115819 - 09/05/11 04:46 AM [User Showcase] Re: Life Of A Gun [Re: PRearden]
Loc: Surrey,England
Mr_Songman Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Surrey,England
Wow.....what a great lyric idea. This works so well.

You're a talented fella and I look forward to hearing more of your stuff.

Wish you every success with it.

Martin

#115820 - 09/05/11 10:23 AM [User Showcase] Re: Life Of A Gun [Re: Mr_Songman]
Loc: Cumbria - United Kingdom
Mike. R. Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Cumbria - United Kingdom
Nice sound Tom.

It springs into life straight away and it's very well mixed - I can hear what you are singing ... Crystal clear.

That B3 is sitting well and the guitar solo is crisp and clear - this is a real foot tapper.

Nice phrasing.

Win 10 - Intel2 quad core / 8Gb Ram
Audiophile 24/96
BAIB / RB 2019 PlusPak For Windows
Reaper 5
EWQL Composer Cloud X

Gibson LP Studio
Fender Mn Telecaster
Gretsch Alligator

Bugera 1960 Infinium

PG Music News
Notation Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows was released in December 2018, and included many new features and enhancements - like the enhancements we made to our Notation window!

These include:
-Pressing the space bar plays the song from the current location.
-Double-clicking on the Standard mode Notation window (or on the time line in Editable or Staff Roll mode) plays the song from the current time location.
-The right-click menu in the Editable or Staff Roll mode Notation window has an option to change the current beat resolution. Previously, the only way to do this was to right-click on the time line.
-Clicking close to a stave line will put a note on the stave line instead of between stave lines. Previously, you had to click extremely close to a stave line to insert a note on it.
-In the Notation Windows Options dialog, the clefs split point asterisk indicates that C5* is middle C.
-The clefs split point can be set by the spin controls.
-You can quickly enter forced accidentals from the right-click menu.
-A new track type (Drums) is available for the Melody and Soloist tracks.
-Holding down the Ctrl key and pressing the zoom in/out buttons results in finest possible incremental adjustment in size.
-There's a keystroke entry mode -the "N" mode, which lets you enter a melody entirely using keystrokes. The keystrokes are N to enter a note, up/down cursor to change its pitch, and left/right cursor to move the time line.
-A new button in the Print Options dialog lets you quickly print a "chords only" fake sheet. You can also access this from the right-click menu on the Chord Sheet.
-You can now edit any track in the Event List Editor. When the dialog opens, it will show you the MIDI data in the current notation track.

There's detailed information on our 2019 notation enhancements here: Band-in-a-Box® 2019 New Feature - Notation Enhancements

Jump to the Notation topic in our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 new features video.

Band-in-a-Box® Drum Features!

Today is National Drummer Day!
(not to be confused with National Hug a Drummer Day, which is October 10th)

Band-in-a-Box® is a great resource for drummers! Practice with an on-demand back-up band, learn from the Pro's with RealDrums notation (RealCharts, new with version 2019), MIDI drums notation, or play in the Drum Kit Window!

Not a drummer? Add drums to your Band-in-a-Box® project with RealDrums! Whether you're looking for Bluegrass, Blues, Bossa, Country, Dance, Dixieland, Folk, Funk, HipHop, Jazz, Latin, Metal, Pop, RnB, Rock, Soul, Techno, Traditional, Waltz, or World (and variations within) - you'll definitely find what you're looking for in our RealDrums library - there are over 500 available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac Build 315 Update Available!

Attention Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac users - a new FREE patch update (build 315) is available!
Review details and download here

Summary of changes for build 315 (Nov 15, 2019):

Fixed: Exporting MusicXML files was not working.
Fixed: When using "Auto-Hand split Piano track" feature, exported MIDI files contain wrong note durations on the Piano track.
Fixed: Note-based lyrics were not included when exporting MIDI files.
Fixed: User should be prompted to save their song when exiting, if they had added or removed plugins.
Fixed: The Record Audio dialog always says “Track type is Stereo” even if the track type is mono.
Fixed: The [Audio Options…] button in the Record Audio dialog was launching the Audio Devices dialog instead of the Audio Settings dialog.
Fixed: Loops dialog title bar displays wrong track name.
Fixed: Large patch map files are not completely loaded (were limited to 1985 patches).
Fixed: Notation context menu > Edit Section Text… did not do anything.
Fixed: Notation context menu > Insert Section Text… did not do anything.

My Favorite Things - Nudge Chords in Band-in-a-Box®

Love this time saving feature.

Ever fill in the chordsheet fully or for part of song, and then discover you want to add or take away an extra beat or more somewhere in the chordsheet.

Nudge chords (melody) from the Edit Menu is your friend here, the dialog will give you all the options either to remove or add beats where its needed.

Love it.
-musiclover

To learn more about this feature, read the "Advanced Chord Entry and Editing Features" topic when you click here.

Band-in-a-Box® Video Testimonial & Demo - Rodney Gene Junior

Band-in-a-Box® endorsing artist Rodney Gene Junior has shared his latest User Testimonial and Demo with us, and we LOVE it! Not only does Rodney share with the viewer his enthusiasm for our program, he also shares a few examples of how he uses Band-in-a-Box® too - make sure you check it out!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Testimonial Video - Peter Torpey

Check out our latest Band-in-a-Box video testimonial, which takes using the program to a whole new level! Peter Torpey is a long time program user who has developed a way to work with the program, even though he's visually impaired - and he wants to make sure that others can too!
Click here to watch!

Learn more about Peter here.

View all our video testimonials here.

Want to make your own Testimonial? We'd love to see it! There's information on our Video Testimonials offer here.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac Upgrade & Full Manuals Available!
Forum Stats
30426 Members
62 Forums
60674 Topics
513430 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
JediMercer, Ignacio_Jazz, DIPS, jpdraca, nhappy

30426 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 196
Noel96 175