Index
#130585 - 10/07/11 02:47 PM [User Showcase] Old Rock Star
Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark
Jan Romanoff Offline
Apprentice

Hi All

I may be old, but certainly not a Rock Star , anyway
I've just finished a song "Old Rock Star". Appreciate if you would give it a listen. Any comments welcome.

All RT except from a Cello midi track and vocal. Lyrics courtesy to a web writer.

Key Bm - bpm 110
Bass, Electric Pop Halfnotes ev 120
Drum, NashPopBallad ev 8
Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Country Rootsy ev 75
Piano, Synth Layer, Rhythm Soul70 ev 16, 120
Guitar, Electric, Soloist Country Brent Bluesy ev 120

Mixed & mastered in Sonar X1

Thanks, hope you enjoy

// Jan

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandid=978581

Edited by Jan Romanoff (10/07/11 03:28 PM)

#130586 - 10/07/11 03:03 PM [User Showcase] Re: Old Rock Star [Re: Jan Romanoff]
Loc: Pine Bluff, Arkansas
retake Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Pine Bluff, Arkansas
Jan, I can't get the link to work. It comes up but soon after I see nothing but a play button with no indicator bar.

Steve

#130587 - 10/07/11 03:09 PM [User Showcase] Re: Old Rock Star [Re: retake]
Jan Romanoff Offline
Apprentice

Hi Steve

Wanted to check this dropbox thing in order to be able to publish song in wave format, anyhow it does not work as it should. I'll upload to soundclick. Thanks for letting me know

//Jan

#130588 - 10/07/11 05:30 PM [User Showcase] Re: Old Rock Star [Re: Jan Romanoff]
PeterGannon Offline
PG Music Staff

The link works for me. Great song!

#130589 - 10/07/11 06:52 PM [User Showcase] Re: Old Rock Star [Re: Jan Romanoff]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hi Jan,

After listening to your song, I found myself thinking that I'd better sit down and write something in B minor. It's a great sounding key. Thank you for posting your work. I enjoyed hearing it.

Regards,
Noel

#130590 - 10/08/11 04:17 AM [User Showcase] Re: Old Rock Star [Re: Noel96]
Loc: Warwickshire, UK
Skyline Offline
Veteran

Loc: Warwickshire, UK
Loved this one Jan.
An excellent song beautifully put together and engineered. The vibe reminded me of Men At Work meets Chris Isaacs!
Well done.

John
BIAB 2019
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4

#130591 - 10/09/11 02:20 AM [User Showcase] Re: Old Rock Star [Re: Skyline]
Jan Romanoff Offline
Apprentice

Peter, Noel and John

Thanks a lot for your comments, glad you liked it.

// Jan

#130592 - 10/10/11 09:21 PM [User Showcase] Re: Old Rock Star [Re: Skyline]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Loved this one Jan.
An excellent song beautifully put together and engineered. The vibe reminded me of Men At Work meets Chris Isaacs!
Well done.

John

my thoughts exactly!
(nice work, Jan!)

#130593 - 10/11/11 06:04 AM [User Showcase] Re: Old Rock Star [Re: Pat Marr]
Jan Romanoff Offline
Apprentice

Pat Marr, thank you for taking your time to listen, and your kind words

//Jan

#130594 - 10/11/11 07:49 PM [User Showcase] Re: Old Rock Star [Re: Jan Romanoff]
Loc: New York
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: New York
Jan,

Very cool song. Love your vocal and mix on this one.

Bob

#130595 - 10/12/11 12:01 AM [User Showcase] Re: Old Rock Star [Re: rsdean]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Got to agree on the Chris I. meets Men At Work.

Great job Jan!

#130596 - 10/12/11 01:25 AM [User Showcase] Re: Old Rock Star [Re: Sundance]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

two more things I want to add Jan...

people always wonder how their mix sounds on different systems. I listened to your song on a notebook with really cheap external speakers. Almost everything I hear on these speakers sounds muddy and distorted... even a lot of professionally mixed songs.

However, This song sounded very clear on the speakers. So did Skylines song. I assume its because of the way you EQed the instruments to give each track a uniques spot in the sound spectrum. But whatever you did, keep doing it.

And your voice is to be envied. I'm not sure I'd kill to sing that well, but I'd probably commit misdemeanors on a regular basis.

#130597 - 10/12/11 09:56 AM [User Showcase] Re: Old Rock Star [Re: Pat Marr]
Jan Romanoff Offline
Apprentice

Bob, Josie and Pat thanks a lot for listening and comments, it is much appreciated.
Pat I appreciate your fine review, actually I don't like to listen to my own voice, and I do spend a great deal of effort on pitch corrections. I like to think I am improving on mixing though, so I'm pleased with your comments on that part as well.

Thanks

// Jan

#130598 - 10/23/11 07:41 AM [User Showcase] Re: Old Rock Star [Re: Jan Romanoff]
Loc: Guitar Town
Zan Cantwell Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Guitar Town
Very nice job, great mix, did you add chorus to the Brent track?

#130599 - 10/23/11 08:27 PM [User Showcase] Re: Old Rock Star [Re: Skyline]
Fitzync Offline
Enthusiast

Quote:

Loved this one Jan.
Well done.

John

I heard Chris Rea in there too, great sound,

Fitzy

#130600 - 10/24/11 09:06 AM [User Showcase] Re: Old Rock Star [Re: Fitzync]
Jan Romanoff Offline
Apprentice

Zan and Fitzy

Thanks for listening and comments, I appreciate it. Zan I used the CLA bundle from Waves (Chris Lord-Alge) on this song. The bundle contains of 6 different processors, bass, drums, guitar etc. And each one have EQ, compressor, reverb, delay and pitch modulation (it may be the latter which gave the chorus effect on the Brent track). I really like these plug-ins

Thanks

// Jan

#130601 - 10/26/11 01:46 PM [User Showcase] Re: Old Rock Star [Re: Jan Romanoff]
Loc: Carmel New York
Rob Helms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Carmel New York
I love this song it is really clean clear and well balanced. One small point i would take it up a full notch at least 2 semitones and i think the vocal would shine.
Lenovo Win 10 8 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2020, Realband, Studio one 4.6 Pro, Logic Pro X, Melodyne 4 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus Faderport 8, Komplete 49 key controller.

#130602 - 10/26/11 04:54 PM [User Showcase] Re: Old Rock Star [Re: Skyline]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Loved this one Jan.
Well done.

John

Another + 1.

If you were talking about Dropbox that program doesn’t work that way. If you have a Dropbox account and I have a Dropbox account, then you can put a wav file into your account and send it to my account where I can download it. So unless everyone you want to hear this song has to have an account and you have to send it to his or her accounts. By send it I mean that you give them permission to DL the song from your account. Dropbox is a secure file exchange system. Dropbox is not a system for general public listening. Noel here is the expert on it.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB and RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware.

#130603 - 10/27/11 05:07 AM [User Showcase] Re: Old Rock Star [Re: MarioD]
Jan Romanoff Offline
Apprentice

Robh and Mario

Thank you very much for listening and the kind words.

Robh I believe you are right, I always spend a lot of time finding the right key for my voice, and sometimes even a semitone can make a huge difference. I may give it a try, thanks.

Mario, concerning Dropbox, I may be wrong, but I believe it is doable without the recipient having installed Dropbox. If you put the file you want to share in your public Dropbox folder, then rightclick, the system will generate a web address for this specific file (only) for anybody to access.

Thanks

Jan

#130604 - 10/27/11 05:57 PM [User Showcase] Re: Old Rock Star [Re: Jan Romanoff]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Mario, concerning Dropbox, I may be wrong, but I believe it is doable without the recipient having installed Dropbox. If you put the file you want to share in your public Dropbox folder, then rightclick, the system will generate a web address for this specific file (only) for anybody to access.

Thanks

Jan

I didn't know this. I'm going to have to give that a try!

Thanx

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB and RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Video Tutorial - Installing Build Updates to Band-in-a-Box® for Mac

We offer free Band-in-a-Box® patch updates throughout the year to enhance existing features and resolve any user-reported bugs.

If you're wanting to see how easy it is to update your installation of Band-in-a-Box® for Mac with one of these free updates, check out our video: Click here to watch it now.

Tips & Tricks - Entering Held Chords in Band-in-a-Box®

Ask a question here on our Forums, and you'll definitely get some helpful answers quickly!

Like this recent post, asking how to "end a bar with a slight tail off or fade" and then resume to the verse... within an hour there was a detailed and accurate response!

We love our helpful forum, packed with enthusiastic & experienced program users - it's such a great resource!

Find Your Style with the Song Titles Browser in Band-in-a-Box® 2020!

Looking for that perfect Style to start your Band-in-a-Box® project with? Don't overlook The Song Titles Browser in Band-in-a-Box®! We update this feature frequently, which allows you to search for a Style that matches a popular song based on title/artist when you type in your criteria within the StylePicker Window.

See this feature in action when you jump to the topic within our 2020 New Features video:
for Windows: 42:37
for Mac: 43:12

Didn't find the song you were searching for? Post your title request to our Wishlist forum: Songs to add to Band-in-a-Box® Titles database and alert our team to work on adding it with the next update - we think that the 3,400 new titles added with Version 2020 is proof that we're paying attention!

Rock Dojo... Top 5 Reasons Why Band-in-a-Box® Rocks!

Check out this nice review from Rock Dojo, Top Five Reasons Why Band-in-a-Box® Rocks!.

Brian, the founder of Rock Dojo, is a Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac user, and couldn't be happier with the program.

It doesn't matter whether you're a guitar teacher or a student guitarist, Band-in-a-Box (BIAB) is must-have software to take your teaching practice or your playing to the next level!
-Brian Parham

Thanks for the great feedback Brian!

Band-in-a-Box® Delivery Explained...

When you order your copy of Band-in-a-Box® for Windows or Mac directly from PG Music Inc., you can choose to download your order, ship your order, or BOTH!

Having your Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK shipped? Choose between DVD installation or flash drive installation during the checkout process. Purchasing the UltraPAK or UltraPAK+? These ship pre-installed on a USB 3.0 hard drive!

Don't forget, just because you're order is shipping doesn't mean you can't download it while you wait - you can locate your online order records in your pgmusic.com account, within the "My Products" section.

Update Your Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac to the latest build 419 to correct any improper messages for Natural Arrangements, apply VST setting improvements, experience faster customized RealTracks and RealDrums Pickers, and fix a few other user-reported issues within the program.

You'll also receive the latest DAW Plugin version 2.12.15 update, with more than 30 additions and updates, including additional options within context menus, the ability to loop a set of bars by highlighting them, and more!

Learn more about this FREE update and download it here.

Let's Hear Your Band-in-a-Box® Songs!

Working on your first song in Band-in-a-Box®? Or maybe you've built up a great collection of songs... Make sure to share them to the User Showcase Forum where other program users post their original songs too! Receive feedback, build your audience, and connect with other enthusiastic program users - you'll be happy you did!

While you're there, make sure to listen to some of the other great songs posted!

Forum Stats
32905 Members
68 Forums
66265 Topics
563050 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
Jazzocaster, Kevin H, gavonutube, DougB, Jamalud

32905 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
eddie1261 164
VideoTrack 154