Page 2 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
an indian broad? yes, definitely.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
my wife told an old cherokee woman that she had just gotten a nice bottle of wine for me.

the old woman said: "Good trade!"

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Lots of talk about song length. Here's the deal.

People ask me a lot "Where do your song ideas come from?"

My answer is always the same. "Songs are stories set to music. And a great place to get stories is from your life experiences. Remember though, that life isn't always happy. Sometimes it is sad. So when you tell a story in song about a sad event, the 'story' will be sad."

Okay, so THIS song is is a story, like any other I have written. It's a story about a relationship that went bad. I knew the girl for 2 years as a friend before we got together as a couple. She came from a HORRIBLE marriage to a Neanderthal who hurt her in every way possible, and I spent that whole 2 years explaining that I did not hurt he, HE did, and I wouldn't do that, and dwelling in past mistakes only keeps those bad times alive in your mind.

NOW go listen to the lyrics. Knowing the STORY, they make more sense. Now this story can not be told in one short verse and one chorus. It HAS to be the whole 5 minutes or it's like tearing the last page out of a book right at "....and the killer is...."

Here is the first verse, bridge and chorus.

I know that there were men before me
Who didn’t really treat you well
But it doesn’t really matter what happened before
And it does you no good to dwell
And I’ve proven it to you time and again
That you could trust me with your love
And I promised you I’d never hurt you that way
But that was something you weren't quite sure of

And you never understood
That the past is the past
And I’ll give you a love
You can count on to last
Tell me what do I have to do?

I’ve been tellin’ you now for over 2 years
That everything you need is standing right here in front of you
If you’d only let me through
I know you built a wall to guard your heart
And I'll tell you again what I said at the start
But you need to believe it’s true
I’m the one for you

Verse 2 if after the dumping, how I felt duped and used.

For a time you really had me believin’
That this was more than just a fling
That maybe you really cared about me
And I’d finally found the real thing
But as time passed by it was clearer each day
That you really didn’t care at all
Still I took a real chance and I gave you my heart
Even knowing I was risking a fall

And you never believed
That my love was for real
That there wasn’t anything
I was tryin’ to conceal

I’ve been tellin’ you now for over 2 years
That everything you need is standing right here in front of you
If you’d only let me through
I know you built a wall to guard your heart
And I'll tell you again what I said at the start
But you need to believe it’s true
I’m the one for you

After the solos, I am talking to her explaining how badly she hurt me.

And it hurt me so bad
When you sent me away
I never really thought
You’d treat me that way

Now, could I really take ANY of that out and still tell the whole story? Music world stuffed shirt penguins demanding 3:43 songs or not, I can not tell the story without all the verses.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Eddie,

Pretty much everything has been said already on this so I won't plow over the very good advice already given.

I do have one small but important suggestion.

Your lyrics will be stronger if you'll get rid of unnecessary words. Specifically "and" "that" "but" should be used sparingly. Try eliminating some of them and see how much better your song reads and sings.

Josie

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Here's the story as I see it from the lyrics only (the "Down by the big lake with a broad in a tent" approach)

-- Girl comes from one or more abusive relationships
-- you become a couple and spend two years trying to convince her that you are different and this love will work
-- she can't accept that or decides that she is not in love and "sends you away"

Is that it? The first thing that jumps out at me is that I know nothing about this girl. I don't know the color of her hair, the way her eyes sparkle when she laughs, the way she tilts her head when she smirks at you, how she looks romping through a field of clover (OK, OK, you get the picture). I also know nothing of you and maybe the things you did together. All you have done is string a bunch of words together that are all feeling/emotion with no concrete facts to back them up.

A song has to be around a 3:30 "mini-movie" where you paint visual pictures that let us get into the scene(s). How you watched any of those MAB videos (or visited his forum) where he discusses "visual furniture"? MAB also says there are two kinds of audience listeners to these depressing tales of woe that are just line after line of misery: 1) those who don't care and 2) those who are glad that they are your problems and not theirs (ha, ha). You have to make us care about the characters in the song.

Look, if you are doing these songs as a cathartic exercise, make them five+ minutes all you want. If your goal is to pitch these songs to an artist, then you have to make it easy for the singer to relate to the song -- and make it interesting for the audience.

OK, enough of all that -- just have fun. Now a few comments on the other stuff.

Quote:

Quote:

How many tracks are in there -- and what is your panning? Everything seems sort of centered to me.

8, and everything is indeed dead center.

Any reason why you have to do it that way? Your recordings will always sound muddy and unprofessional if everything is panned to the center.

Quote:

Quote:

Remove all the effects from your lead vocal -- it sounds like you are in a tin can and it pushes the vocal too far to the back.

This track in this take suffers from "equalizus over effectsus" disease. I tried to EQ the vocals using a plug in effect. This was before I have my MOTU working and can now mix outside the software like I want to. Unfortunately there is no "remove all the bad attempts to EQ" button on Real Band that I am aware of. I plan to someday sing it again dry and direct into the interface.

RealBand allows "non-destructive" EQ and effect plugins, so you your original vocal take is never changed. Isn't this true?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope this is helpful. If it isn't let me know -- it takes a lot of time to think about all this stuff in a constructive manner. Just remember that I am no big expert here. If you go through my songs you can point out the same problems (and others!).

Kevin

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

I don't know how she looks romping through a field of clover

Naked or clothed?

Kevin, you hit on something with precision. This album was a cathartic effort for me. My drummer friend calls them "You stepped on my [junk] and I hate you" songs. Once she realized I was okay and wouldn't hurt her soul like the other guy did, things went well until she got too attached to me for her comfort zone and backed out in fear that if we married it would turn out like the last one (I promised you I'd never hurt you that way but that was something you weren't quite sure of). I wrote these songs to get rid of it, and it worked.

The 5 minute part comes partly from my age. I grew up listening to Pink Floyd and Genesis, both of whom wrote opus length songs, Todd Rundgren (my HERO) and his theme albums (ever heard the Broadway play he scored?), and jam bands like the Allman Brothers, who often played long enough for me to run out to the car to get my wallet, give the car a quick wash and wax, use the bathroom, hit the beer stand, and come back to Duane and Dickey playing the same song. I NEVER, and I mean that literally, listen to the radio so I don't know anything about radio. (If I want 4 commercials between songs I will ask for them....) I do pay a little bit of attention to the song lengths on the CDs I listen to for driving music, but again, I listen to Tower of Power LIVE, Average White Band LIVE, Earth Wind and Fire LIVE, Genesis LIVE, Pink Floyd LIVE, Allman Brothers LIVE (at the Fillmore).... I don't hear much studio music. Commercial radio sucks.

The NEXT batch is back a little more to my rock roots and they are coming in at 3:50-4:20, but that is not conscious. Just how they are turning out.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
I just listened to a Tower of Power Live CD (~1998 or '99) on the ride back from Tennessee over the holidays. I sure wish BIAB could figure out how to do a RealHorns (and RealStrings) product!

Commercial radio (in any genre) is always hit and miss with a few great, some good, most OK and some bad -- and with lots of commercials. I tend to listen to a local alt rock station, with a country station in the mix. But most of my listening is really peer stuff on web sites like this.

Here's a great current rock/country tune by Eric Church: Put a Drink in My Hand. I wish I could have written that one, but I am not in the club scene anymore, so I would never think of it unless I was with a younger co-writer. (Warning: It does glorify drinking a little!)

Keep writing.

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,660
Posts735,518
Members38,528
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
gman97040, kadju, theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track
38,527 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173