Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#148720 - 01/29/12 06:43 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Is there a way to share and discuss BIAB cover songs? [Re: Robh]
Loc: WV, USA
bobcflatpicker Offline
Veteran

+1 on Robh's suggestion.

Edited by bobcflatpicker (01/29/12 06:45 PM)

#148721 - 01/29/12 07:03 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Is there a way to share and discuss BIAB cover songs? [Re: Kemmrich]
eddie1261 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Libraries purchase books and only can only be checked out by one user at a time (even the electronic books have this restriction).

But does the author get a royalty EVERY TIME his hard work is enjoyed?

#148722 - 01/29/12 07:04 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Is there a way to share and discuss BIAB cover songs? [Re: silvertones]
Kemmrich Offline
Expert

All you have to do is get permission from the copyright holders and you can do what you want. Why is the creative sweat and tears (and the big bucks to record them) any different than any other endeavor? Hey, leave your tools outside or unlocked so I can come by and borrow them when I want. Just because you paid for them, I don't think you should be able to claim ownership over them.

#148723 - 01/29/12 07:50 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Is there a way to share and discuss BIAB cover songs? [Re: silvertones]
bobcflatpicker Offline
Veteran

"Copyright" is a two edged sword.

On one hand, it's a shame we can't share our renditions of old songs for educational purposes. I'm all for being able to do that. It could be kinda like teaching others a new song at a jam session.

On the other hand, I started working on creating a series of music theory lessons in a BIAB format a while back with the intentions of copyrighting and selling them. But then it occurred to me, ... if I sell one copy, ..... then I may as well give the rest of them away.

Why bother working to create something and market it when folks just buy it once and then post it on Rapidshare for others to download for free?

That kinda dampens the creative spirit.

So, ...... we have the two edged sword.

Edited by bobcflatpicker (01/29/12 08:31 PM)

#148724 - 01/29/12 08:21 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Is there a way to share and discuss BIAB cover songs? [Re: eddie1261]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Here's where this gets fun, Pat.

Eddie calls Pat and says "Hey I have a gig in 3 weeks and need a guitar player. I am going to send you a CD of the stuff we will need to learn. Nothing major. It's a themed "British Invasion" party we will be playing. Some Beatles, some Stones, some Herman's Hermits, some Freddy and the Dreamers, a couple by the Moody Blues, Peter and Gordon..."

By the letter of the law as you described it, I would be breaking the law by sending you a CD with the 40 songs we need to learn for the gig.

Yeah, it DOES get interesting. If you hand me the CD at band practice its technically illegal, but if nobody is aware of the transaction there would be very little (if any) risk of prosecution.

But if you MAIL it to me, it could be a federal offense on top of the copyright infringement.

But even then IMO there's very little risk of individuals without deep pockets being targeted for prosecution (unless they were already watching you for some other reason, in which case they might use it just to get you in custody)

Quote:

Now that brings up the question... HOW do I get the music to you? By the letter of the law, am I required to go out and buy you a copy of Meet The Beatles, Help, Rubber Soul, Sgt Pepper..... and then Sticky Fingers, Get Your Ya Ya's Out.... buy a copy of every CD from which songs are plucked?

IMO, that's a moot question because these guys aren't interested in small potatoes. But a company like PGMusic is a different story, and that's why we should diligently protect their best interests

Quote:

If that is the case, every cover band in the USA is guilty because songs get passed around for learning purposes many times every day.

yep, but small potatoes don't get much attention. Even in the peer to peer prosecutions, the only people who got singled out were those who had thousands of songs on their computers for anybody to snag

Quote:

Now, let's go one further because I like to get ridiculous and look at every possible scenario.

What if the show is all MY music? Would the players I recruit have to buy my CD to learn it and play it?

if it's your music and you own all the rights to it you can distribute it any way you want. How can you steal from yourself? WHo would press charges?

#148725 - 01/29/12 08:28 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Is there a way to share and discuss BIAB cover songs? [Re: silvertones]
Loc: US East Coast
kenbiab Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: US East Coast
Personally, I'd just like to protect amateurs and hobbyists from the misguided and wholly unjustified wrath of corporate lawyers, while at the same time protecting the legitimate rights of composers to not be ripped off.

What I would ..love.. to see is something like a onetime lifetime license to cover anything on say the Spotify catalog with nominal distribution of perhaps 10,000 totally free downloads. Anything you charge for, not covered. Anything that would happen to go viral on youtube and perhaps cause damage to the artist, you'd have to either take down or figure out separately. But for 99% of hobbyists just looking to enjoy the playing of music with online friends, we could clear the unnecessary BS out of way.....
No?

Learning To Play Jazz Piano After Age 50+
http://kenblog05.blogspot.com

#148726 - 01/29/12 08:48 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Is there a way to share and discuss BIAB cover songs? [Re: kenbiab]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

you mention Youtube... I'm surprised that so many non-public domain songs are there, and nobody seems to be telling anybody to take them down.

Maybe that's the answer... post your songs on Youtube and PM the link to your buddies.

If you get contacted by a lawyer, then take it down.

#148727 - 01/29/12 09:26 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Is there a way to share and discuss BIAB cover songs? [Re: Pat Marr]
eddie1261 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

if it's your music and you own all the rights to it you can distribute it any way you want. How can you steal from yourself? WHo would press charges?

With the lawyer I have, he would sue and I would take me for MILLIONS!!! I might even put myself in jail!!

#148728 - 01/29/12 10:17 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Is there a way to share and discuss BIAB cover songs? [Re: eddie1261]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

now there's a song waiting to be written

#148729 - 01/30/12 01:14 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Is there a way to share and discuss BIAB cover songs? [Re: Pat Marr]
Loc: California
Robh Offline
Veteran

Loc: California
Were any of you guys able to download the file and play it? just wondering?
Toshiba dual core Win 7 8 gig ram, BiaB, Realband, Studio one Professional, Melodyne, Gibson S-1, Carvin 980 Cobalt acoustic, Ovation legend 12 string, jazz bass clone, Fender Mustang III amp, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL interface, TC Helicon voiceworks.

#148730 - 01/30/12 08:49 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Is there a way to share and discuss BIAB cover songs? [Re: Robh]
Loc: London, Ontario, Canada
John Conley Offline
Veteran

Loc: London, Ontario, Canada
Scrolling through the discussion it seems all US based.

The world is a different place outside your borders.

We even have businesses that are here because of your litigious state(s).

Diamond Aircraft who make mostly 2 seat trainers is an example. 60 miles from the border. My buddy works there. The company has stated that they would prefer to be in the St. Louis area. But it is very much harder to sue a company based here. Our sandbox, our laws.

I have no qualms about sitting and discussing any details about the notes in bars 20 to 30 of Satin Doll. You cannot, even if the discussion resides on a hard drive, demand royalties for 'talking' about someone else's work. You don't have to pay every time you speak of what happened at 3:30 of a movie. You just can't play back any more than what is described by the 'doctrine of fair dealing.'

In Canada, our fair dealing exclusion to copywrite MAY include the whole 'song'. As long as the intention is acemdemic. But if I give you a weekly song in band in a box format, that plays the whole thing and we are really sharing then you NIX the fair dealing thing. You were then distributing the work.

It gets more confusing when it comes to performing the thing. No cover, no gate, then the bar or restaurant is already paying (here it's per seat and the total hours you are open). So the annual licence you get requires you to pay, or they will show up and shut your equipment down. (Maybe)

Confused? Add in other countries and you have more versions that you can shake a stick at.

My son the prof. tells me that the academic line in Canada is broad but restrictive and the American version is loose and less restrictive, so that in the end the result is close to the same. (Profs photocopy stuff or post it now on the web for almost every class).

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

PG Music News
RealBand 2019 - A New Look!

Have you opened up your RealBand 2019 yet? You may notice that we've given it a fresh new look! In fact, there are now 3 different looks to RealBand.

See for yourself! Within the program, visit Options | Icon Set and choose from: Classic, Modern 1, or Modern 2.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows - Choosing to Run 64-bit or 32-bit

We heard you! With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows we've included the BRAND NEW 64-bit version of Band-in-a-Box®, which works well with the latest plugins and 64-bit OS features! Because not everyone has a 64-bit computer, we include both the 64-bit and 32-bit versions with your purchase - you choose which one to use!

By default, when you install your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows the 32-bit version will run.

The steps to run the 64-bit version are simple! Just head to your "bb" folder and choose the "bbw64" icon - you'll notice that the Band-in-a-Box® "splash screen" will state "64-bit" as the program opens.
(and if you open the 32-bit version, the "splash screen" will state "32-bit")

Still not certain which version you're running? Within the program, go to Help | About Band-in-a-Box - it'll either state:

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2019 (604)
<--- the number in brackets is the build number - this will change as new patch updates are released
64 bit application

or:

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2019 (604)
<--- the number in brackets is the build number - this will change as new patch updates are released
32 bit application

We hope everyone who can is enjoying their Band-in-a-Box® 2019 64-bit version for Windows!

NEW! Style-style-style Additions and Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows!

With over 64 new features and enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019, we've made sure to add to, enhance, and update some of the Style features within the program: StylePicker, StyleMaker, and Song Titles browser within the StylePicker!

StylePicker Enhancements:
-If the style list needs rebuild, it tells you that within the StylePicker, instead of a message that requires a response.
-The rebuild is faster than before by 75%. It takes 1/4 of the time now.
-While the style list is being rebuilt, you can see the progress inside the StylePicker.
-The style list can be filtered by a specific RealTracks/RealDrums/MIDI SuperTracks or RealTracks/MIDI SuperTracks in a certain number range.
-You can filter the style list by a specific Xtra Styles PAK.
-The dialog to select an Xtra Styles PAK has a button to take you to the PG Music website that shows information about Xtra Styles PAKs.
-The StylePicker can list all styles (including N/A styles) in the default display.
-The Set number display is improved, including sort by type and Xtra styles.

StyleMaker Improvements:

-The new MIDI velocity offset allows you to make styles with altered loudness for MIDI tracks.
-Styles can be saved with information like a memo, examples, genres, and more, which will be displayed in the StylePicker.
-You can import information from another style. This is useful when you are making a similar style.
-A style can have a huge number of RealTracks (up to 70!) because the StyleMaker now supports RealTracks multi/medley feature, which allows a single track to have up to 10 simultaneous playing of RealTracks.

Song Titles Browser Enhancement

-We’ve added 300 more song titles including requests from users, so there are now over 10,600 titles.
-The chord density filter is available, and it’s also displayed in the memo.
-The chord complexity filter is available.

Review all the new features of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 here.

NEW! Traditional Celtic Tunes with Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly

Purchase Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows during our special (which ends December 31st), and you can add the 49-PAK to your order for just $49!

Among the great Add-ons included in the 49-PAK is our Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly, which includes 18 traditional Celtic tunes! You'll find beautifully performed songs like Boys of Bluehill, The Cliffs of Moher, Harvest Home, Rolling in the Rye Glass, and more!

The Celtic RealTracks backing up performances by Geoff Kelly sound amazing, and so do the duets with previous Artist Performance musician Daniel Lapp (on fiddle)! Listen to all the demos for these Artists Performances near the bottom of our Bonus PAKs page, here.

Here's a taste: Demo: Rolling in the Rye Grass

The Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Bonus PAKs!

Purchase Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows during our special (which ends December 31st), and you'll receive a FREE Bonus PAK overflowing with great Add-ons, including MIDI SuperTracks Set 28: Pop Basses with 6 MIDI SuperTracks, 21 RealDrums Transcriptions, 120 guitar licks and riffs in Instrumental Studies 7: Brent Mason 12-key CountryPop Guitar Licks, and 15 new MIDI Styles!

Or, upgrade it to the 49-PAK for just $49 and you'll add 40 UNRELEASED RealTracks, 10 "Low Man" & Re-amped "12-Key" Metal/Thrash Electric Guitar RealTracks, 6 more MIDI SuperTracks with Set 29: More Organ, Piano & Accordion, 120 more guitar licks and riffs with Instrumental Studies 8: Brent Mason 12-key Train-Beat Licks, 15 more MIDI Styles, and Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly!

Watch the video highlighting our 49-PAK here, or listen to demos and learn more here.

Free Bonus PAK Contents:
-Look Ma! More MIDI 1
-21 RealDrums Transcriptions
-MIDI SuperTracks Set 28: Pop Basses
-Instrumental Studies 7: Brent Mason 12-key CountryPop Guitar Licks

2019 49-PAK Contents:
-40 Bonus RealTracks!
-10 "Low Man" and Re-amped "12-Key" Metal/Thrash Electric Guitar RealTracks
-Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly
-Instrumental Studies 8: Brent Mason 12-key Train-Beat Licks
-Look Ma! More MIDI 2
-MIDI SuperTracks Set 29: More Organ, Piano & Accordion

Video - Band-in-a-Box® 2019 - Everything You Need to Know in Under 6 Minutes!

Get to know the new Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows with our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 - Everything You Need to Know in Under 6 Minutes! video: Click here to watch...

RealBand 2019 is Here!

We've added over 30 new features to RealBand 2019, including Notation Window enhancements, Tracks Window enhancements, StylePicker enhancements - and more! Learn all about this new version here.

Snag your copy of RealBand 2019 with your Band-in-a-Box® for Windows purchase - upgrades on SALE until December 31st - save up to 40%! View all Band-in-a-Box® for Windows purchase options here.

Forum Stats
28392 Members
58 Forums
55104 Topics
458814 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Ronny Nitz, oscar420, RoyReddy, Moozeeck, CarGo

28391 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 318
Pipeline 315