Off-Topic
R
rokq22 Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
R
Of course that is IF you use YouTube.

Anyhow, I decided last night at the bar (good place for ideas huh? ), but only after a COUPLE beers, that I was going to upload TWO different types of songs to YouTube. (1) Some songs withOUT vocals (like a KARAOKE version) and (2) a complete version of songs WITH vocals and accompanying video. But I am still puzzled. When I do the video of me performing the song do I add another track of guitar along with the vocals? That way, at least I'm playing live and the video will show it. I am leaning towards that way so, I guess, that will mean I will leave ONE TRACK available for the added guitar (which will be added along with the vocals when I videotape it) instead of having the whole song finished and adding yet another guitar. Er, right?

What do some of you folks do? I know about wwws.soundcloud.com and www.soundclick.com and I might use them IN ADDITION to YouTube but YouTube is the MAIN place for me. Or should I simply use all THREE places for the music?

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I use Macromedia Flash to add my music to the video when I want more than my laptop webcam. I record my music in a separate program while the camera is filming and sync them up. I also like Flash when I animate too. The only downside to youtube for me is buffering and upload speed. Use the highest res you can upload in a reasonable time frame so it won't be too compressed when they convert it.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I used Microsoft Movie Maker, it's a part of Windows and/or a free download from M$.

First pick one or a group of representative photos. Load them into MMMM; then load in the mp3; click "Make music end with last photo." You're done! Now click "publish to YouTube." The file conversion is automagic.

Be forewarned, a 7+ minute video took nearly 2 hours to upload.

Last edited by Don Gaynor; 03/24/12 10:38 AM.
Off-Topic
R
rokq22 Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
R
@Tommyc,

Thanks, will check that out a bit later. My plight, now, is as follows. I just tried a few different downloads of audio converter programs to convert my audio only music (which is in WMA format) to something acceptable to YouTube (such as MPEG4, AVI, WMV, FLV) but when I FINALLY found out that I could have used Windows Movie Maker which I have already have been using for all my previous YouTube videos (DOH!) I tried it. I uploaded the audio to Windows Movie Maker (without any pictures) and listened to it. YIKES!!! Horrible!! It sounded distorted and as if only SOME of the tracks were playing. Nowhere near as "good" as the uploaded to SoundCloud audio does. Obviously something happened during the conversion process. Something is clearly not right. Anyhow, what I did for all my previous YouTube stuff was, first, convert my videocamera recorded stuff with the help of a downloaded VIDEO converter program (because the recorded stuff was in the AVI format which was previously unacceptable by YouTube but now it is accepted) and then edited it in WMM. Then, of course, uploaded to YouTube. Easy. Done. But this is has got me stumped.

Out the door, will be back later to stress out some more.

@Don,

I think I saved my audio in the wrong format. I thought I saved it to MP3 but it's in WMA. Could try again.

In fact, yep, I see in Reaper that I rendered to WMA instead of MP3. WILL try again later.

Oh, also, it's not just the AUDIO I'm wondering about. I can understand the SLIDESHOW thing. But I'm wondering about if I want to be seen PLAYING the song on the video. I already know that I'll probably have to worry about the audio and video synching properly but I don't want to MIME to the song on guitar and vocals I actually want to play and sing along with it. Hell, I think I answered my own question.

So much stress, so little time.

P.S. How do I add a "signature" here? I did a quick search and couldn't find the answer.

Last edited by rokq22; 03/24/12 11:06 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Click "My Home and Settings" near the top, then Personal Info and look for the box labeled Signature

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
WMA (Windows Media Audio) is a proprietary audio format owned by M$ and oftentimes don't play well with others. In fact, Audacity will not import .wma files (unless that's changed in version 2.0). Therefore, it's necessary to convert the file format to .mp3, .wav or etc.

I use this freebie: http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/free-dvd-video-software.htm

A caution - it wants install another toolbar so read during installation. It has a drag-n-drop GUI which makes conversions simple.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Since WMM is MS format .. and WMA is MS format, you would think they would work well together. I'd think they should work together just fine in WMM. Wonder why it doesn't? Seems silly.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Rharv, either I missed the point, or you did! The discussion, as I interpreted it, was: Trying to get YT to play WMA files. I recall that Audacity won't (or at least, wouldn't) play them. I have run into several audio apps that won't play well with them. I think it's reluctance to pay Bill what's his face for using his codecs.

I just went and tried loading a .wma file into the brand new version 2.0 of Audacity and got an error message similar to: Cannot import files of this type "due to patent restrictions!"

Just opened WMM and it will import .wma files so you have run me in tight little circles right back to quadrilateral uno. That's precisely what I had enumerated above...load the mp3 into WMM and upload to YT. You are just pushing my leg! Dad blamed Michigonians!

Last edited by Don Gaynor; 03/24/12 04:21 PM.
Off-Topic
R
rokq22 Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
R
Actually, I just wanted to know how people do their YouTube thing. For ME, until I started computer recording, it was a simple matter of videotaping me doing the song playing guitar and singing live with a drum machine (some time ago) or with BIAB playing the backing tracks. But now that I've started with the computer recording of the songs how do I do this? Should I (1) complete the song and MIME it while videotaping? (2) Mime the guitar and sing the vocals live? (3) Add a guitar track (play the guitar and record it at the same time thu adding another track) while singing? Or (4) should I complete the song and simply (always?) do a SLIDESHOW with no videotaping the "performance" at all? I always thought I was going to be videotaping me playing and singing live just as I have always done but now, thinking about it adn getting to that point, it's a bit more involved then I thought. Yep, I'm confused. ALSO, I can do TWO different things as well. (1) I can upload a KARAOKE type thing and ALSO (2) upload the same song with the vocals. Hope this isn't TOO confusing.

The thing about the WMA file is that I screwed up, I think. I should have simply rendered to MP3 in Reaper instead of WMA. But I certainly hope that an MP3 file will sound better after Windows Movie Maker does it's thing than the WMA file did cuz it sucked. I thought it would sound as "good" as it does uploaded to SoundCloud but it doesn't. Not at all. I'm now hoping that if I render to MP3 it doesn't sound as bad as the WMA did. Will find out tomorrow.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
from rokq22
Quote:

I uploaded the audio to Windows Movie Maker (without any pictures) and listened to it. YIKES!!! Horrible!! .. @Don,

I think I saved my audio in the wrong format. I thought I saved it to MP3 but it's in WMA. Could try again.

Sounded to me like he was saying his wma didn't work right in WinMovieMaker.
Maybe I did miss the point (?)
wma *should* load in WinMediaPlayer without issue, and not lose any quality

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I would check my settings for rendering to WMA in Reaper, if that is what you used. WMA import into WinMediaPlayer should not sound bad.

Off-Topic
R
rokq22 Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
R
Okay, will do tomorrow.

Again, however, I originally started this off as a PERFORMANCE issue for YouTube rather than a TECHNICAL ISSUE. But it turned that way. But that's okay too.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Start with an uncompressed wave in Movie Maker, you are compressing it twice if you don't. I think.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Good point Tommyc

Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
rokq22: Great original post.

I am wondering the SAME thing: How to publish a video of my making featuring a song of my making and sychronizing the video appropriately.

Synch is the big issue with me...I don't have the foggiest idea how to do it, or what tools to utilize.

I'm hoping someone will enlighten us!

Personally, I have played with Windows Movie Maker, but only with "slides" and or course video that has a song playing over it (no synch required in that case...you know like kids running in the yard etc).

But...again to synch a song to any event (be it vocals, playing an instrument...whatever)---I'm clueless.

I'm hoping to get a handle on that...it sure would be fun!

Please...

We shall wait (and I'll be checking this thread often)...and see.

JOHN 10:10
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Well if you paly along with the original track, things should work fairly well for you. The trick would be in placing the clips you want to line up with the audio.
If you want exact, try something like Adobe Premier.
Depends a lot on what you got to spend.

You can nudge audio/video in WMM, it's just not as elegant.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Start with an uncompressed wave in Movie Maker, you are compressing it twice if you don't. I think.

You may have aced it Tommy. Nice call.

Off-Topic
R
rokq22 Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
R
Quote:

from rokq22
Quote:

I uploaded the audio to Windows Movie Maker (without any pictures) and listened to it. YIKES!!! Horrible!! .. @Don,

Sounded to me like he was saying his wma didn't work right in WinMovieMaker.
Maybe I did miss the point (?)
wma *should* load in WinMediaPlayer without issue, and not lose any quality

Yes, I did, it sucked in Windows Movie Maker. I jsut wanted the AUDIO to work. But I ORIGINALLY meant for this topic to be something else. (That it branched out a bit is good for me as the probloem is somewhat related, I think). I did my original post BEFORE I tried to upload the WMA file to YouTube (just as an audio) and YouTube wouldn't go for it.

http://support.google.com/youtube/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=55744&hl=en-US

That's when, after some searching, I was lead to Windows Movie Maker (which I have had of course) so I tried the file there and it was bad. The thing is that on SoundCloud it sounds good so, as usual, I'm stumped. (But my life's not over YET because of this. I'm determined! ) Never thought about it before (but seen TONS on YouTube) but the "SLIDESHOW" thing I might make use of down the road but for now I really just want the AUDIO to get to YouTube. But, granted, it's mostly a VIDEO w/AUDIO site not an AUDIO only like SoundCloud is. But I really didn't do ANYTHING because click on stuff. I clicked to get the WMA file to SoundCloud and it worked and I clicked to get the audio to WMM and it sucked. But I'll try some more a bit later today.

Anyhow, I'm in the process of yet ANOTHER topic about something that has me stumped and, yes, I HAVE tried to solve the problem myself, just can't. I did a Google about how to install the LAME .dll and now it works with both Reaper and Audacity. But why does RB seem to save to .SEQ files (and a few other strange) files? Why not MP3? Oops, don't answer that, off to a new topic.

Quote:

Will try that.

Last edited by rokq22; 03/25/12 12:15 PM.
Off-Topic
R
rokq22 Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
R
Quote:

rokq22: Great original post.

I am wondering the SAME thing: How to publish a video of my making featuring a song of my making and sychronizing the video appropriately.

Synch is the big issue with me...I don't have the foggiest idea how to do it, or what tools to utilize.

I'm hoping someone will enlighten us!

Personally, I have played with Windows Movie Maker, but only with "slides" and or course video that has a song playing over it (no synch required in that case...you know like kids running in the yard etc).

But...again to synch a song to any event (be it vocals, playing an instrument...whatever)---I'm clueless.

I'm hoping to get a handle on that...it sure would be fun!

Please...

We shall wait (and I'll be checking this thread often)...and see.

Please, start a topic about SYNCING AS I would be interested in reading the responses on that!!
I did a Google and came up with this which should be of help:

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp...=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=4592eda312cd495&biw=1440&bih=758&bs=1

I probably would have asked the question myself when the time came but I'm not there yet but I know that videos that aren't synched don't look too good. Especially when playing live.

P.S. Oh, as per my original post, have to ask you. How are YOU going to do the performance? I think the best way (I JUST decided!!) is to to simply record the guitar (as an additional track) and also the vocals while filming. It's either that or I'd have to FAKE the playing while singing./ OR just play the backing tracks OR play the backing tracks through the computer speakers and play/sing live while filming (which is how I've been doing it all this time before deciding to record via the computer).

Folks, if this seems confusing it's because I'm having a hard to putting it into words. Or just making a mountain out of a molehill. But it's basically just a head-trip. FLAN, we know, of course, that there is no synch issue if one was to film them self playing/singing to the backing tracks they've previously recorded as the sound would be captured as they were performing. Frankly, I might be leaning that way again. My ZOOM Q3 has a couple very good built-in mics (the reason I bought it to begin with!). I could get the songs 95% done on the computer then play them back and add the guitar and vocals while filming. The issue, of course, is if the audio is uploaded separately from the VIDEO. I just don't know what to do. And the SYNCH issue is yet another problem I'd probably have to contend with.

Last edited by rokq22; 03/25/12 12:48 PM.
Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
This may be a good starting point...I'm reading it now:

Video Editing Software

JOHN 10:10
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,721
Posts736,520
Members38,556
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Rogee, John Dharmawan, hughesai, BabzColl, bluejaffa
38,555 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 190