Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#209093 - 07/08/13 08:50 PM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: Mixing Tips [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Great Lakes - USA
SILVERBACK Offline
Enthusiast

Great posts/advice here... Thank You!

I have a question that could well be hypothetical for me because my hearing is pretty well shot after decades of standing next to amps, drummers, monitor stacks, angry ex-wives, etc.

Regarding mixing BIAB files in a DAW:

It is my understanding that our BIAB files (.wavs) are 16 bit files...

I've also been told that it's OK to import BIAB 16 bit files into a DAW project (Reaper in my case) that's been set up for 24 bit files - - because the DAW will just ignore what's not there in the 16 bit files and the added vocals, guitars, etc to the BIAB tracks will be recorded at 24 bit quality...

Are there any good technical reasons not to do this? (if so I could easily set up my Reaper projects up as totally 16 bit projects and happily carry on...) But, I like to gather as much information as I can, whenever I can. And I wonder if this situation might cause a problem down the line - for professional mastering engineers, etc.

Just wondering if anyone else out there has a standard workflow or technically based opinions regarding exporting their BIAB 16 bit files?

PLEASE NOTE: I do not want to start another 16 vs 24 bit forum war here... I'm not asking if 24 bit audio is better than 16 bit audio - I'm asking if they can live together in the same 24 bit DAW project...

According to my ears (what's left of them anyway) it works OK. (I guess one could say that sentence answers my question!)

Thanks in advance!

#209097 - 07/08/13 10:35 PM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: Mixing Tips [Re: SILVERBACK]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Hi Silverback

FWIW-I have been doing just that for a number of years now with absolutely no problems. That is 16 bit BiaB wavs into Sonar that is set up to record in 24 bit. I am not at my music computer and I don’t remember (CRS) if there is some sort of file bit conversions going on but it does work for me. Of course I convert the finished song back to 16 bit for CDs.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB and RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware.

#209100 - 07/08/13 10:57 PM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: Mixing Tips [Re: MarioD]
SILVERBACK Offline
Enthusiast

Thanks MarioD, that's comforting news... (I used to know what CRS meant - but I forgot!!)

#209141 - 07/09/13 11:28 AM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: Mixing Tips [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: York, England
ROG Offline
Veteran

Loc: York, England
Hi SILVERBACK.

There's a host of contentious issues involved here, but my old mentor used to say - "If it SOUNDS good then it IS good".

In any case, if we start talking about re-sampling and dithering, my old pal rharv gets a headache!

I'd go with what Mario said.

ROG.

#209159 - 07/09/13 06:53 PM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: Mixing Tips [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
Jim Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
One of my Music Creator user manuals (could be the manual for MC2,3 or 5) indicated that files are automatically converted during importation to match the user selected bit depth setting.

16 bit files have eight zeros (00000000) appended to each sample when 24 bit operation is set while the eight least significant digits are truncated (removed) from each 24 bit sample if 16 bit operation is selected.

Some DAWs have a setting that disables conversion or allows the user to convert after a file is imported.

Edited by JimFogle (07/09/13 06:58 PM)
Edit Reason: Thought Clarification
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 1803, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

#230767 - 12/26/13 09:28 AM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: Mixing Tips [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: United Kingdom
Paul Haynes Offline
Journeyman

Loc: United Kingdom
Thanks you for this post, food for thought on my mixing journey. smile

#488081 - 08/27/18 03:46 PM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: Mixing Tips [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Revisiting Steve's mixing thread... (go to the beginning)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

PG Music News
#TBT - The Introduction of Xtra Styles PAKs for Band-in-a-Box!

We've just released Xtra Styles PAK 9 for Band-in-a-Box® 2020, and to celebrate we've put ALL of our Xtra Styles PAKs on SALE until June 30, 2020!

Xtra Styles PAKs were first introduced in August 2016, and required the Band-in-a-Box® 2016 and higher UltraPlusPAK, EverythingPAK, or Audiophile Edition.

You may notice that all of our Xtra Styles PAKs require the 'latest' UltraPAK or higher - this is because they utilize our complete (and at the time current) library of RealTracks and RealDrums.

What are Xtra Styles?
Xtra Styles are RealStyles created by our development team. They've taken our existing RealTracks and RealDrums collection and remixed them to make the new and unique arrangements heard with every new Xtra Styles PAK released.

These RealStyles are Band-in-a-Box® styles that only use RealTracks and RealDrums - the result: an incredible band to back you up and perform your songs

Xtra Styles PAKs are on SALE until June 30th!
Purchase the complete Xtra Styles PAKs library with over 1,400 RealStyles for the special price of $199 (reg. $349)

Already have a few of our Xtra Styles PAKs? Top up now - each of our 9 Xtra Styles PAKs are just $29 (reg. $49)!

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAKs for Band-in-a-Box and listen to demos here.

Mac user? Click here for demo and purchase links.

How-to Video: Section Text labels and Lyrics

Check out our special YouTube Channel, PG Music Inc. Support Videos, which is where we share videos our support team makes at the request of a customer, or to help out an existing customer issue.

The latest video, Band-in-a-Box How to: Section Text labels and Lyrics quickly walks you through section text labels and lyrics in Band-in-a-Box for Windows! Watch now...

Want to see a specific video? Share your request here.

#TipTuesday - Band-in-a-Box® Patch Updates

We never stop here at PG Music, so make sure that you check in on your installation of Band-in-a-Box® occasionally - we frequently release free patch updates to enhance existing versions, and fix 'bugs' reported by program users.

Windows program updates can be found here. We have a separate page for Mac updates, here.

You can also setup Band-in-a-Box® to check for updates automatically! Head to the Preferences window in the program, and select "Automatically check for updates every [__] days" (choose your number).

Not sure which "build" you have? Help | About... will bring up a window that will show your exact version number!

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 - Xtra Styles PAK 9 & Loops-with-Style PAK 2 Bundle!

Have you heard? We have NEW Band-in-a-Box Add-ons!

Xtra Styles PAK 9 and Loops-with-Style PAK 2 will SUPERCHARGE your Band-in-a-Box® 2020 UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition!

200 NEW RealStyles have been added with Xtra Styles PAK 9 - 50 Rock-Pop, 50 Jazz, 50 Country, and 50 Folk & Beyond 2!

Loops-with-Style PAK 2 includes 100 NEW Loops and 50 NEW styles, and adds 2 new genres to our Loops-with-Style collection: gospel and funk!

Bundle both the Xtra Styles PAK 9 and Loops-with-Style PAK 2 into one convenient purchase, only $48 until June 30th! Click here to choose your purchase.

Mac user? Click here for your order links.

RealBand 2020 for Windows Updated Harmonies Feature!

The latest RealBand 2020 Update includes enhancements to the harmonies feature, improvements for audio recording, and more!

Click here to review and download this free update patch (build 4).

Video: Band-in-a-Box® - Xtra Styles PAK 9 Overview & Demos

Xtra Styles PAK 9 includes 200 NEW RealStyles for Rock-Pop, Jazz, Country, and Folk & Beyond!

There are 50 new RealStyles for each genre, with MultiStyles included in each genre too!

Learn more about loading and using Xtra Styles PAK 9 in Band-in-a-Box® 2020 and listen to the demos for the 200 new RealStyles in Xtra Styles PAK 9 with our latest video: Band-in-a-Box® - Xtra Styles PAK 9: Overview & Demos.

Add Xtra Styles PAK 9 to your band for just $29 until June 30th! Order here.

Windows user? Click here for Windows purchase links and details.

PowerTracks Pro Audio 2020 Updated!

PowerTracks Pro Audio 2020 has been updated with a small Free Update Patch that can be downloaded here.

Forum Stats
32240 Members
65 Forums
64457 Topics
546587 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
jgmusic, Salsito, leif1000, Dupree, HMP

32239 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
MarioD 221
VideoTrack 163