Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
"I have not payed attention to the VU meters on RB, but if I recall from just seeing (rather than actaully watching them) when speaking into the mic in an idle state they do nothing."

This is a problem. First of all, the meters inside the software are there to help you set the gain staging at the very last stage in the signal chain.

Something is wrong about the input level setting as recorded. Even at speaking levels, you should see the meters move, perhaps 10 dB lower than your singing voice, and your expected signal 'height' is right on the money, but what you are getting is too small.

I can't help any more on this since I don't have RB.

So, there are typically several places to set the gain, and you appear to only be adjusting the A/D gain at the interface.

1. Some microphones, particularly condensers, have a pad switch built in.
2. The potentiometer on your audio interface has both a -20 dB Pad switch, as well as lots of gain adjust before the conversion to digital.
3. Sometimes the interface itself has a mixer applet - this will function to allow you to set various input levels relative to the digital output of the mixer. Both my PreSonus Firebox and my Tascam US-800 have their own applets for this.
4. Windows sometimes has a similar function to #3 - you say that this is 'gray' for your current setup.
5. The DAW software will often have a similar gain function on the 'inputs' that it sees for audio recording. Most of the time there will be a metering function with this GUI as well. In Tracktion, a picture of what this looks like is on page 20: http://www.mackie.com/products/tracktion3/pdf/t3_qs.pdf

Note that there is an 'input gain' setting there. In this software it defaults to zero, which it should, but if somehow this got set to -20 dB or something, then the end result would be just like your diagram where the expected signal is large, but the recorded signal is weak. I cannot for the life of me remember if PG products have a similar input level control - I'm guessing that they do. Take a look at the tip on that page, BTW, use peaks at -5 dB or so for good tradeoff between audio quality and s/n ratio.

Also note that the input level gain slider has nothing to do with the output volume slider on a particular track.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
No the slider has no bearing in record.
Everything goes through K Mixer unless ASIO is used.I don't have a USB device.There are plenty of users here though with your device and can verify one way or the other for you.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I don't think that should be grayed out. BTW did you know that you CAN NOT install more then one MAudio USB device on your computer. It will cause issues per MAudio Web Site.
Do I dare suggest you uninstall and reinstall the FTP? Do it by the book, theirs not yours.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
M-Audio software mixewrs can be complex sometimes. The 'Input' volume may be affected by another slider in the main mixer that actually sends the output for that channel (to whatever port its assigned to) at a reduced level. That's one possibility; to be clear two sliders in the main M-Audio software mixer may be affecting the actual input signal path.
Check both input and output meters of mixer (may take a little clicking around depending on settings in this applet). Look for a second meter sensing the input signal..

Another good possibility is Mac's post (as usual); device may simply be set to be handling the wrong signal level.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
And on we go..... in no particular order, this is what all went on tonight.

First, logic. This has all given me a headache and I don't remember who said what, so whatever.... I am done playing with it for tonight.

The "windows mixer" is irrelevant, and here's why I say that. In order for my logic to matter, you must concede this given. Disabling the internal sound card is the same as removing a PCI sound card, and either of those things equals having NO sound card. Your choices can be no sound card, onboard sound card (on mobo), internal sound card (PCI slot), or external sound card (M-Audio). As long as you have one of those last 3, you will get sound. They don't work together. They work independently of each other. Thus the "windows mixer" suggestion is irrelevant. Once you select a default sound device, and remember default means "use this until I tell you different", that is the one in control. When my M-Audio is selected as default, the Realtek doesn't matter, thus the companion "windows mixer" is no longer relevant. My "windows mixer" is the DAW I am using to feed the sound through the USB bus. My default sound device is and has always been the M-Audio. And before the "update drivers" starts flying again, they are the latest, and drivers only need to be updated if something breaks, not "because you can". Those drivers have been fine since they came out in 2010. If the drivers were bad, the M-Audio wouldn't work at all given that a driver is nothing more than a way for the hardware to communicate with an operating system. If they worked yesterday, they will work today. Driver updates fix bugs, not make the already good be 'mo bettah.

To expound on that, I went into BIOS and disabled the onboard Realtek sound. That made absolutely no difference, as I was sure it would not. What was grayed out before with that Realtek enabled was still grayed out. I knew this would be true because the first computer I used for this had an older mobo with no onboard sound and there was no sound card in a slot, yet I used Sonar and all was well.

On to the next steps. Reboot. As the computer was rebooting, otherwise stated "there was not yet an operating system booted and running", I spoke into the mic and it came out of my monitors. While sitting at the Windows login screen, otherwise stated "no drivers had loaded for anything yet", I spoke into the mic and it came out of my monitors. I entered my credentials, Windows started. When it was ready for input, but no programs yet running and with the internal sound card disabled, I spoke into the mic and it came out of my monitors. Remember, the onboard Realtek is disabled right now.

Started RB. Loaded an existing song. Went down to a track far removed from the others and selected Audio - Mono. Clicked on the VU meter button to bring the up on the screen. Clicked RECORD. Sang 12 bars. The input on the VU meter was stable at -6db, occasionally hitting -3, but never in the red. Stopped the recording. Solo-ed that track. The playback was -18db. Barely audible. Interesting to note is that on the screen, the data in the track was from floor to ceiling. Full height track. Yet so quiet I could barely hear it. No effects at all, just a raw track. Recorded at -6, it played back at -18. Instruments recorded at the same level play back at the level they are recorded.

I repeated the process using RECORD AUDIO instead of RECORD. The results were exactly the same. (Why are there 2 records anyway?)

I tested with both MME and ASIO drivers and the results were exactly the same.

Where did those 12 dbs go from the record to the playback?

And Scott, this is an SM58, no switches, no nothing. It will always be an SM58. Note, an SM58 that drives the incoming DB meter just fine. The inst/line switch is as it should be. (To be thorough I tested it in, out, pad on, pad off.... results did not change.) Something is lost in translation inside of RB from the record to the playback. I call the fact that the track data as shown on the screen fills the track yet the playback being so quiet proof that the hardware is fine. Also, instruments record and play back fine. This has to be software.

Booted Sonar. Using the VU meter in the Sonar track window, I recorded the same 12 bar vocal passage and it played back at the level it was recorded. Again remember there is no sound device enabled other than the M-Audio interface. Just throwing that in again so everybody knows. The internal sound card and associated software are not relevant or necessary.

I HATE having to work at home harder than I work at work.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

Everything goes through K Mixer unless ASIO is used. I don't have a USB device.

Correct and yet slightly incorrect. You don't have a USB device so you have only one choice for sound management and you MUST use the embedded sound handling. With a second sound device, or a third if you have onboard, a slot card (though you have a laptop with no slots) and a USB, you designate one as default and the other 2 know to sit down, shut up and watch from the bench. They are out of the game once another is set as default. At that point ASIO/MME is also moot. With only one choice, that non-choice is default. If you added another sound device, you would have to designate which to use.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

M-Audio software mixers can be complex sometimes. The 'Input' volume may be affected by another slider in the main mixer that actually sends the output for that channel (to whatever port its assigned to) at a reduced level.

Can't buy into that yet. There is no place in RB that I am aware of that has anything to do with input level. That is monitored only by the input knob on my interface.

M-Audio software mixers? What is that? It's a piece of hardware and a driver for it. I have had this interface for 3 years and have never seen anything that "runs". Remember, from my long winded post, the sound is passing through the interface just fine, even before Windows even starts. There's no software input mixing on that device. Port 1, Port 2, I have never recorded more than 1 port at a time, and my choice in RB is Port 1-2 or Port 3-4, and 3-4 are not enabled.

I'm pulling hair out here where 12dbs are going between input and output.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
"(To be thorough I tested it in, out, pad on, pad off.... results did not change.)"

Well, then this should give you a clue as to some of the weirdness. The results SHOULD change. You are recording something other than the mic channel most likely, because the pad switch on the front panel of the M-Audio absolutely should cause a change in the input level that is being digitized. By 20 dB.

The sound passing through the device at all times is the hardware monitoring feature, has nothing to do with the digitized signal. You probably want to disable any direct monitoring to debug what's going on.

I can hardware monitor with my external card even when the computer is off. For this issue, you don't want to mess with that. Knob 9 in the manual, dial it all the way right to PB.

Until you do that, it's going to be very hard to debug what is going on.

-Scott

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Quote:

Everything goes through K Mixer unless ASIO is used. I don't have a USB device.

Correct and yet slightly incorrect. You don't have a USB device so you have only one choice for sound management and you MUST use the embedded sound handling. With a second sound device, or a third if you have onboard, a slot card (though you have a laptop with no slots) and a USB, you designate one as default and the other 2 know to sit down, shut up and watch from the bench. They are out of the game once another is set as default. At that point ASIO/MME is also moot. With only one choice, that non-choice is default. If you added another sound device, you would have to designate which to use.

Wrong Eddie. I have 3 devices in the computer. Internal ,SBLive 5.1 PCI card running KX drivers, MAudio Delta 1010 PCI. They are all available in the "windows mixer" via the drop down.
I didn't say "update" the drivers I said "reinstall".

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

Well, then this should give you a clue as to some of the weirdness. The results SHOULD change. You are recording something other than the mic channel most likely, because the pad switch on the front panel of the M-Audio absolutely should cause a change in the input level that is being digitized. By 20 dB.

What I meant by no difference was that when I engaged the pad switch I boosted the gain knob to recover the lost db caused by the cut of the pad switch, and the resulting recording was no different in that it recorded hot and played back weak.

I don't know if I included in the long thread that when I went into Sonar and recorded a 12 bar vocal track it played back at the same level it went in.

As far as "windows mixer" I am not even going to continue that part of the debate. That is moot. The reaction by RB is the same under every hardware circumstance. With just the M-Audio installed there is no "windows mixer" available. That is, as is right there in the name, a Windows controlled logical hardware interface. The M-Audio runs outside of that control with physical controls, which of course an internal sound device does not have. (No volume knob on a Realtek onboard sound card.) It has logical controls, thus the mixer screen. My M-Audio does all my innies and outies, including playing CDs and streaming from Pandora, further enforcing my point that everything to do with sound is now out of Windows control.

Also noteworthy.... I was on Skype Sunday night talking to someone in Arizona with my SM58 and headphones, all through the M-Audio interface, and the audio was fine on her end. The video too, She is gorgeous!!

I am SO glad I have all this hair because I am pulling it out over this.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Good luck!

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Until you kill the hardware monitoring, I can't help any further. Rotate the knob fully to PB, eliminated all connections except: 1. SM58 directly into the XLR connector on the front, 2. Headphone out. 3. USB connection to the computer.

Until that's as simple as the connections are, I'm out of the running to be able to help any further. With more connections and so forth, and direct monitoring going on at least part of the time, it's too difficult to solve via asynchronous communication.

-Scott

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Everybody please take a breath and refocus on the nuts and bolts of the issue.

I can record FINE. I record at -3db on the VU meter. The track in RB looks fine. Wave form in the track shows from floor to ceiling, as it should recording that hot. (Just like the piano, guitar, organ....) That totally eliminates my hardware.

Then I play back, with the volume slider maxed out, and it plays back at -18 on the RB VU meter. That VU meter has absolutely zero to do with whether there is even a sound card connected to the computer, much less be specific to my hardware. I could pull the interface's USB cable out of the computer and those VU meters will do the exact same thing. No sound card would result in there being no way to translate and make audible noise, but that VU meter just reports the decibel level of what is being played back. (Correct?) And that level is 12 to 15db lower that what was recorded.

Also noteworthy, when I recorded the tests in Sonar, making no changes to mix, preamp, or distance from the mic, it came out at the same level it went in. Each track in Sonar has a VU meter and I watched when I recorded, and it was the same when it played back. Thus I can conclude that there is nothing wrong with my hardware or Windows interfacing with it. You guys know me well enough by now to know I am extremely thorough when I test. I test to the point of where I think it is fixed I break it again so I can fix it again and eliminate the "fluke" factor.

Also note other apps (Skype for one) have no issue with the M-Audio as the only audio device on the computer. They can hear me, I can hear them. In fact I am usually asked to turn the mic DOWN when I Skype. (Just like when I sing in public.)

I guess I need to get this to the tech support group, though I can't imagine they'd pay it much attention if I am the only one out of a billion users seeing this. I hate bouncing from DAW to DAW but if I have to compose in RB and then move tracks to Sonar to sing and mix, so be it.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Even when the attenuation light rides solid green with an occasional red flash on the clip light, the vocals are WAY too low, like they look like almost a flat line in the track.

Quote:

I can record FINE. I record at -3db on the VU meter. The track in RB looks fine. Wave form in the track shows from floor to ceiling, as it should recording that hot.

So which is it? Eddie you speak in tongues with conflicting statements.Like Scott I'm also out.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Eddie, Eddie, Eddie. This just keeps on going and going....

Every week it seems you start another thread about some specific area of recording. People have posted links to dozens of websites about all of this. Every one of these questions is another years worth of study. Considering the online conversation we had recently about you going to school, I have one very good question for you:

Have you taken the time to study any of these links people have posted?

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Eddie - we are trying to help, taking deep breaths, etc. In this same thread, you have stated:

Quote:

Here's what I can tell you fromt he office. The mic and cable are the same mic and cable that we just finished using for 6 weeks of rehearsal. The issue is that the level when I record into RB is extremely weak. Allow me to diagram.

----
----

But then you say this later in the thread:

Quote:

Everybody please take a breath and refocus on the nuts and bolts of the issue.

I can record FINE. I record at -3db on the VU meter. The track in RB looks fine. Wave form in the track shows from floor to ceiling, as it should recording that hot. (Just like the piano, guitar, organ....) That totally eliminates my hardware.

That's the contradiction that I can't resolve in my head. I don't think the hardware is 'totally eliminated'.

Which one is it, the diagram or the fully top-to-bottom waveform? My brain hurts from 1500 miles away on this. I want to help you with this, as evidenced by my responses, but I need to envision a simple system first, not one with cascading mic pre-amps and patchbays and potential for direct hardware monitoring at play.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I'd like to help, but I just can't tell what is going on (not that ever stopped me before!). Sounds like a simple user error -- or equipment problems. No sense beating your head against the wall -- unplug everything and start with a new simple chain.

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Either Eddie or the FTP are broken no doubt.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Sounds to me like the track volume slider in RB is still set to 70% or so (default).
Push slider to the right in Tracks view or up in Mixer.

If the signal looks fine in waveform (matches the recorded level) then a playback slider is involved.

Signal out of RB affected by :
Track slider
ALL slider
Subgroup Slider (if used)
Possibly other audio Ports if sending out of computer and back in for any reason
A1 slider

Then out to slider in M-Audio on way out to monitors.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,719
Posts736,458
Members38,554
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
John Dharmawan, hughesai, BabzColl, bluejaffa, SLM
38,554 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 187