Options
Index
#178725 - 11/11/12 06:12 PM [User Showcase] "There's Evil in you Chillun"
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

EVIL CHILLUN

We finally rounded up and tested out sufficient realtracks to put together a Western (or Texas) swing tune. I originally found this old public domain song on a 78 record many years ago and it sorta stuck with me. We tweaked the lyrics a bit and Janice worked the melody to her liking.

A bit of background. We both had the privilege of playing and recording (the three of us released a CD) for many years with our dear friend the great fiddler, Randy Howard. Randy who passed away at age 39 in 1999, was a 12 time National Fiddle champion and was grammy nominated. He was also a great guitar flat picker, mandolin picker and given half a chance a good banjo player. His CD “Survival of the Fiddlist” is an astonishing piece of work. Randy played on many studio albums including Garth Brook’s “Seven.” Chet Atkins once said that Randy was the only musician he’d pay to go see!

Randy just loved this style of playing and as a tribute to him I did my best to piece together, some times measure by measure, Realtrack fiddle and mandolin solos that at least hint at how he might have played it -- and that would be wild. RIP Buddy.

Instruments: All Realtracks
Vocal: Blue USB mic
Mixing/Effects: Garageband

Thanks for listening! critiques are welcomed.

Check out our BiaB SoundCloud songs!
J&B YouTube Sampler
J&B Website
Our album "All Over The Map" is on Apple Music, Spotify and others.

#178726 - 11/11/12 06:49 PM [User Showcase] Re: "There's Evil in you Chillun" [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
bud - you do this better than anyone. put together so well. the mix is great. the choice of instruments, perfect. Janice - perfectly gorgeous, as always. you guys need to do less of that "outdoors thing" and do more of the recording thing.... really enjoyed it.

#178727 - 11/11/12 06:52 PM [User Showcase] Re: "There's Evil in you Chillun" [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: 80 Mi North of Sacramento CA
seeker Offline
Veteran

Loc: 80 Mi North of Sacramento CA
Bud, Janice,

I know that song, think it has strong old rural church origins.
Both my parents were from south...Florida from 20's on.
Grew up with 1 avid active church mom and strong 10% supporter Dad.
Lotsa music, and their friends, mandolins, guitars, banjo's was
the norm. Its a shame I turned out to be who I am...LOL

Love the fiddle, its a good pick for this song. As you mentioned
earlier "I gotta use the mandolin", you did and its nice.
Piano coming in is also nice touch.

Janice, your vocals, especially for this type of music is fantastic.

Don't have the cojones to be a genre definer, but I take this song
to be part of the south. To me its a good thing tho.

Appreciate you folks, hard work and sharing the music!

Edited by seeker (11/11/12 06:53 PM)

Down The Street vs2015 12-03-2014
Win7, AMD QuadA8-5500,16GB,2TeraHD, Komplete 10
PG Ultra Plus 2016,Alesis 12USB, Sonar Platinum

#178728 - 11/11/12 07:38 PM [User Showcase] Re: "There's Evil in you Chillun" [Re: seeker]
Loc: Maryland
SpaceDog Offline
Expert

Loc: Maryland
Bud, Janice,
Excellent. The vocal performance is just great. Perfect country voice.
The arrangement is super but the fiddle sounds a bit hallow. Maybe a little more EQ would help.
SD

#178729 - 11/12/12 08:23 AM [User Showcase] Re: "There's Evil in you Chillun" [Re: SpaceDog]
Loc: Kennesaw (Atlanta) GA
Ryszard Offline
Veteran

After listening, it's hard to believe that it's less than three minutes long; there is so much there. The recording quality is superb--I can hear the "wood" in the acoustic instruments. The solos have been beautifully edited. I can't say enough about the voice--others have done it better--but it suits the material perfectly. And you have the best ending/fade I have ever heard on a BIAB song. Much, much more power to you!

Richard

#178730 - 11/12/12 10:28 AM [User Showcase] Re: "There's Evil in you Chillun" [Re: Ryszard]
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Great country voice.
If I only knew what 'chillun' means. Is it 'children'?

Guenter

#178731 - 11/12/12 12:54 PM [User Showcase] Re: "There's Evil in you Chillun" [Re: boehm]
Ryszard Offline
Veteran

Yes.

#178732 - 11/12/12 05:48 PM [User Showcase] Re: "There's Evil in you Chillun" [Re: Ryszard]
Kemmrich Offline
Expert

You really do well at creating those solos. The vocals are great, too. Super duper stuff all around. This is as good a sounding song that I have heard in these 'dem parts

#178733 - 11/12/12 10:19 PM [User Showcase] Re: "There's Evil in you Chillun" [Re: Kemmrich]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
what they said!

I almost expected Garrison Keillor to launch into a Prairie Home Companion story at the end of the song

PS... have you met my kids?? if not, how did you know...?

#178734 - 11/13/12 05:19 PM [User Showcase] Re: "There's Evil in you Chillun" [Re: Pat Marr]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Thank you all very much for the comments including the remark re the fiddle EQ - I'm gonna take a look at what I used.

Ryszard answered the question about "Chillun" being children. In the rural south "chillun" is heard in both black and white dialects. One of my grandmothers used hit. Many Southerners use soft "r" or if the can often completely avoid them.

Seeker got me to thinking more about the origins of this tune. I think that based on "chillun" and the structure of the verses that it originated as a black spiritual or possibly even a blues tune. Folks who are a lot more studious than me have tried to trace it's beginnings and the couple of Western Swing bands that recorded it in the 1930's gave it no attribution.

Thanks again for taking the time to comment.

BTW, for those of you not familiar with the Western Swing genre there were some hot bands back in the 1930-40's. While they featured lap steeps and fiddles as solo instruments they could hold their own and often swapped rhythm players with some of the renown jazz swing bands of the era.

Check out our BiaB SoundCloud songs!
J&B YouTube Sampler
J&B Website
Our album "All Over The Map" is on Apple Music, Spotify and others.

#178735 - 11/13/12 05:33 PM [User Showcase] Re: "There's Evil in you Chillun" [Re: Janice & Bud]
F.M.M. Offline
Expert

hi bud janice great arrangement and mix vocals are awesome great blend of intruments eric
AMD (TM) 8150 3.60 GHz Eight Core Processor 64 bit windows 10 pro 64 bit os. sound card delta 1010 pci card 500 ssd drive 3 other drives guitars 1968 les Paul Custom and Cavin ae 185 Guitar boss Gt-100 pedal Carvin SRS Studio reference series

#178736 - 11/14/12 04:52 AM [User Showcase] Re: "There's Evil in you Chillun" [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Grand Junction, Colorado USA
Achordocaster Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Grand Junction, Colorado USA
Well that's just mighty fine stuff there!

Greg

#178737 - 11/14/12 06:57 AM [User Showcase] Re: "There's Evil in you Chillun" [Re: Janice & Bud]
Ryszard Offline
Veteran

Quote:

BTW, for those of you not familiar with the Western Swing genre there were some hot bands back in the 1930-40's. While they featured lap steels and fiddles as solo instruments they could hold their own and often swapped rhythm players with some of the renowned jazz swing bands of the era.

I'm not sure if Western Swing has ever been cited as a significant influence on the Allman Brothers. Anyway, I can hear it; can anyone else? Listen to "Ramblin' Man" and tell me if that doesn't sound like a fiddle duet at the start.

#178738 - 11/14/12 09:00 PM [User Showcase] Re: "There's Evil in you Chillun" [Re: Ryszard]
Loc: Mississippi Gulf Coast
Danny C. Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mississippi Gulf Coast
It's all been said all I will add is thanks for posting this wonderful piece of music.

Later,

The More You Drink The Better I Sound

#178739 - 11/15/12 06:50 AM [User Showcase] Re: "There's Evil in you Chillun" [Re: Danny C.]
Loc: South Africa
JoanneCooper Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Africa
Hi
I have spent a lovely half an hour listening to quite a bit of your stuff on soundcloud. I absolutely love everything about the tracks. What an inspiration. Thanks

#178740 - 11/16/12 12:45 AM [User Showcase] Re: "There's Evil in you Chillun" [Re: JoanneCooper]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Bud and Janice,

Excellent track from you two. The only thing - jmho and subjective - is I thought the fiddle especially at first was competing with her vocal and could've been mixed a tad left or right instead of centered with her basically on top of it. Not a deal breaker by any stretch and I thought you really captured that PHC G. Kellor vibe. Nice job on the lyrics too.

Great work.

#178741 - 11/16/12 05:20 AM [User Showcase] Re: "There's Evil in you Chillun" [Re: Sundance]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hi Bud and Janice,

This is amazing. Absolutely everything about this song and it's presentation gleams. There is nothing that I can say that hasn't been said already. I'm heading back for another listen right now!

All the best,
Noel

PG Music News
Just Released: Xtra Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box for Windows!

164 amazing new RealStyles await you in Xtra Styles PAK 7! We've dreamed up some great new arrangements for your songwriting, production, and teaching needs in four volumes: Jazz 7, Country 7, Rock/Pop 7, and Americana 2.

Get all 164 new RealStyles in the All Xtra Styles PAK 7 for only $29 until September 15, 2019! (Reg. $49)

Specific genre packages are also available for $15 each!

For more information and to listen to demos, click here!

Band-in-a-Box® Features List!

Every version release of Band-in-a-Box® adds loads of new features and enhancements to the program, which we're sure can sometimes get "lost" in your knowledge of the program's capabilities.

Looking to learn about new features with a specific release? It's actually really easy to locate this information!

Learn tips on the new version (2019) by visiting Help | Tip of the Day and placing a check mark next to "Only Show Tips for Version 2019" (you'll also need to select "Show Tips at Startup", if it's not already).

Access the new features list for older versions in the Help Index of the program - from the left-menu, choose Contents | Features and a list of New Features will show - all the way back to Version 7!

#FeatureFriday

#TBT Band-in-a-Box® Goes to NAMM

As we get ready to head to Summer NAMM this year, we're remembering our time their last year - we had so many visitors stop by our booth!

Click here to take a peak!

Special thanks to Mike and all the RealTracks Artists and PG Endorsers who stopped by. Stay tuned for our Booth Visitors and other happenings from Summer NAMM on July 18-20, 2019! If you find yourself at the event, come say "Hi!" to us at booth 234.

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows StylePicker Feature - Finding RealTracks & MIDI SuperTracks

Did you know... Within Band-in-a-Box®, quickly find styles that use RealTracks (or MIDI SuperTracks!) in a certain range by pressing the [Other] filter button in the StylePicker window and select "Styles that contain RealTracks or MIDI SuperTracks in a number range".

#WisdomWednesday

Band-in-a-Box® Tip of the Day!

Did you know that Band-in-a-Box® will show you some helpful "Tips" when you start the program? What a great way for new program users to learn all the features of the program! Want to know Tips on just the latest version? This feature can be adjusted to just show the Tips for that too.

Maybe you're a long-time user of the program, and have this feature turned off? To access Tip of the Day (450+ available!), head to Help | Tip of the Day. Your Tip will appear right away - and you'll have the option of reading the Next Tip if you wanted too! Within this window is where you would also choose to "Show Tips at Startup" (if this is unchecked, you won't see them), or "Only Show Tips for Version 2019".

Here's a few Tips the program informed me of the last time I opened Band-in-a-Box®:

In the Piano Roll window, the 'Ghost Note' function allows you to view a single-channel, and see notes on all other channels display in light grey. This is useful when working with multi-channel tracks.

Want a bigger guitar display? Drag the bottom end of the Guitar Window to change its size, or press the SETTINGS button to set a custom size.

The Printout can use left and right MARGINS. This is useful to make printouts for small paper size or 3 hole paper that requires margins.

Edit | Nudge Chords/Melody. Let's say that you have entered a complete song chord progression, and you then realize that all of the chords starting at bar 23 are 1 beat to late. You can use this feature to slide your chords over by 1 beat.

#TipTuesday

Video - Using the Band-in-a-Box® Vocal Wizard

Check out this incredibly thorough video created by Dennis Wilkins, which explains how he uses the Band-in-a-Box® Vocal Wizard! Click here to watch..

YouTube Find - Ballad for a Travelling Lady

We did a search for Band-in-a-Box on YouTube, and look at what we found!

Video - "Ballad for a Travelling Lady" by Stefan Leipziger

What a great use of Band-in-a-Box! Check out Stefan's YouTube Channel for even more of songs he's created with the help of Band-in-a-Box.

Forum Stats
29888 Members
61 Forums
59225 Topics
499917 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
maxnordio, Jetwoman, Bobby Watson, Broil, Pavlina

29888 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Jim 144
Janice & Bud 132