Options
Index
#178725 - 11/11/12 06:12 PM [User Showcase] "There's Evil in you Chillun"
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

EVIL CHILLUN

We finally rounded up and tested out sufficient realtracks to put together a Western (or Texas) swing tune. I originally found this old public domain song on a 78 record many years ago and it sorta stuck with me. We tweaked the lyrics a bit and Janice worked the melody to her liking.

A bit of background. We both had the privilege of playing and recording (the three of us released a CD) for many years with our dear friend the great fiddler, Randy Howard. Randy who passed away at age 39 in 1999, was a 12 time National Fiddle champion and was grammy nominated. He was also a great guitar flat picker, mandolin picker and given half a chance a good banjo player. His CD “Survival of the Fiddlist” is an astonishing piece of work. Randy played on many studio albums including Garth Brook’s “Seven.” Chet Atkins once said that Randy was the only musician he’d pay to go see!

Randy just loved this style of playing and as a tribute to him I did my best to piece together, some times measure by measure, Realtrack fiddle and mandolin solos that at least hint at how he might have played it -- and that would be wild. RIP Buddy.

Instruments: All Realtracks
Vocal: Blue USB mic
Mixing/Effects: Garageband

Thanks for listening! critiques are welcomed.

Check out our BiaB SoundCloud songs!
J&B YouTube Sampler
J&B Website
Our album "All Over The Map" is on Apple Music, Spotify and others.

#178726 - 11/11/12 06:49 PM [User Showcase] Re: "There's Evil in you Chillun" [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
bud - you do this better than anyone. put together so well. the mix is great. the choice of instruments, perfect. Janice - perfectly gorgeous, as always. you guys need to do less of that "outdoors thing" and do more of the recording thing.... really enjoyed it.

#178727 - 11/11/12 06:52 PM [User Showcase] Re: "There's Evil in you Chillun" [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: 80 Mi North of Sacramento CA
seeker Offline
Veteran

Loc: 80 Mi North of Sacramento CA
Bud, Janice,

I know that song, think it has strong old rural church origins.
Both my parents were from south...Florida from 20's on.
Grew up with 1 avid active church mom and strong 10% supporter Dad.
Lotsa music, and their friends, mandolins, guitars, banjo's was
the norm. Its a shame I turned out to be who I am...LOL

Love the fiddle, its a good pick for this song. As you mentioned
earlier "I gotta use the mandolin", you did and its nice.
Piano coming in is also nice touch.

Janice, your vocals, especially for this type of music is fantastic.

Don't have the cojones to be a genre definer, but I take this song
to be part of the south. To me its a good thing tho.

Appreciate you folks, hard work and sharing the music!

Edited by seeker (11/11/12 06:53 PM)

Down The Street vs2015 12-03-2014
Win7, AMD QuadA8-5500,16GB,2TeraHD, Komplete 10
PG Ultra Plus 2016,Alesis 12USB, Sonar Platinum

#178728 - 11/11/12 07:38 PM [User Showcase] Re: "There's Evil in you Chillun" [Re: seeker]
Loc: Maryland
SpaceDog Offline
Expert

Loc: Maryland
Bud, Janice,
Excellent. The vocal performance is just great. Perfect country voice.
The arrangement is super but the fiddle sounds a bit hallow. Maybe a little more EQ would help.
SD

#178729 - 11/12/12 08:23 AM [User Showcase] Re: "There's Evil in you Chillun" [Re: SpaceDog]
Loc: Kennesaw (Atlanta) GA
Ryszard Offline
Veteran

After listening, it's hard to believe that it's less than three minutes long; there is so much there. The recording quality is superb--I can hear the "wood" in the acoustic instruments. The solos have been beautifully edited. I can't say enough about the voice--others have done it better--but it suits the material perfectly. And you have the best ending/fade I have ever heard on a BIAB song. Much, much more power to you!

Richard

#178730 - 11/12/12 10:28 AM [User Showcase] Re: "There's Evil in you Chillun" [Re: Ryszard]
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Great country voice.
If I only knew what 'chillun' means. Is it 'children'?

Guenter

#178731 - 11/12/12 12:54 PM [User Showcase] Re: "There's Evil in you Chillun" [Re: boehm]
Ryszard Offline
Veteran

Yes.

#178732 - 11/12/12 05:48 PM [User Showcase] Re: "There's Evil in you Chillun" [Re: Ryszard]
Kemmrich Offline
Expert

You really do well at creating those solos. The vocals are great, too. Super duper stuff all around. This is as good a sounding song that I have heard in these 'dem parts

#178733 - 11/12/12 10:19 PM [User Showcase] Re: "There's Evil in you Chillun" [Re: Kemmrich]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
what they said!

I almost expected Garrison Keillor to launch into a Prairie Home Companion story at the end of the song

PS... have you met my kids?? if not, how did you know...?

#178734 - 11/13/12 05:19 PM [User Showcase] Re: "There's Evil in you Chillun" [Re: Pat Marr]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Thank you all very much for the comments including the remark re the fiddle EQ - I'm gonna take a look at what I used.

Ryszard answered the question about "Chillun" being children. In the rural south "chillun" is heard in both black and white dialects. One of my grandmothers used hit. Many Southerners use soft "r" or if the can often completely avoid them.

Seeker got me to thinking more about the origins of this tune. I think that based on "chillun" and the structure of the verses that it originated as a black spiritual or possibly even a blues tune. Folks who are a lot more studious than me have tried to trace it's beginnings and the couple of Western Swing bands that recorded it in the 1930's gave it no attribution.

Thanks again for taking the time to comment.

BTW, for those of you not familiar with the Western Swing genre there were some hot bands back in the 1930-40's. While they featured lap steeps and fiddles as solo instruments they could hold their own and often swapped rhythm players with some of the renown jazz swing bands of the era.

Check out our BiaB SoundCloud songs!
J&B YouTube Sampler
J&B Website
Our album "All Over The Map" is on Apple Music, Spotify and others.

#178735 - 11/13/12 05:33 PM [User Showcase] Re: "There's Evil in you Chillun" [Re: Janice & Bud]
F.M.M. Offline
Expert

hi bud janice great arrangement and mix vocals are awesome great blend of intruments eric
AMD (TM) 8150 3.60 GHz Eight Core Processor 64 bit windows pro 64 bit os. sound card delta 1010 pci card 500 ssd drive 3 other drives guitars 1968 les Paul Custom and Cavin ae 185 Guitar boss Gt-100 pedal Carvin SRS Studio reference series

#178736 - 11/14/12 04:52 AM [User Showcase] Re: "There's Evil in you Chillun" [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Grand Junction, Colorado USA
Achordocaster Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Grand Junction, Colorado USA
Well that's just mighty fine stuff there!

Greg

#178737 - 11/14/12 06:57 AM [User Showcase] Re: "There's Evil in you Chillun" [Re: Janice & Bud]
Ryszard Offline
Veteran

Quote:

BTW, for those of you not familiar with the Western Swing genre there were some hot bands back in the 1930-40's. While they featured lap steels and fiddles as solo instruments they could hold their own and often swapped rhythm players with some of the renowned jazz swing bands of the era.

I'm not sure if Western Swing has ever been cited as a significant influence on the Allman Brothers. Anyway, I can hear it; can anyone else? Listen to "Ramblin' Man" and tell me if that doesn't sound like a fiddle duet at the start.

#178738 - 11/14/12 09:00 PM [User Showcase] Re: "There's Evil in you Chillun" [Re: Ryszard]
Loc: South Louisiana
Danny C. Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Louisiana
It's all been said all I will add is thanks for posting this wonderful piece of music.

Later,

The More You Drink The Better I Sound

#178739 - 11/15/12 06:50 AM [User Showcase] Re: "There's Evil in you Chillun" [Re: Danny C.]
Loc: South Africa
JoanneCooper Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Africa
Hi
I have spent a lovely half an hour listening to quite a bit of your stuff on soundcloud. I absolutely love everything about the tracks. What an inspiration. Thanks

#178740 - 11/16/12 12:45 AM [User Showcase] Re: "There's Evil in you Chillun" [Re: JoanneCooper]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Bud and Janice,

Excellent track from you two. The only thing - jmho and subjective - is I thought the fiddle especially at first was competing with her vocal and could've been mixed a tad left or right instead of centered with her basically on top of it. Not a deal breaker by any stretch and I thought you really captured that PHC G. Kellor vibe. Nice job on the lyrics too.

Great work.

#178741 - 11/16/12 05:20 AM [User Showcase] Re: "There's Evil in you Chillun" [Re: Sundance]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hi Bud and Janice,

This is amazing. Absolutely everything about this song and it's presentation gleams. There is nothing that I can say that hasn't been said already. I'm heading back for another listen right now!

All the best,
Noel

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® Program Manuals - Online Resource

Did you know that you can view both a PDF & an online program manual for Band-in-a-Box® 2017-2019 (and RealBand 2018-2019) on our support page? It's a quick and handy way to look up feature explanations, tutorials, and other resources without having to locate your physical manual or the PDF in your BB folder!

Learn more here.

Russian Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows is Here!
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows - JAWS Screen Reader Announcement!

For anyone that uses the screen reader program JAWS (Job Access with Speech), the scripts for Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows is ready for both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions!

Learn more about these JAWS scripts here.

A HUGE THANK YOU to Peter Torpey for all his hard work on these scripts - we really couldn't do this without him!

Video - Band-in-a-Box® for Windows: Exporting MIDI

Learn how to export MIDI when you watch our latest video: Exporting MIDI.

Video - Custom Endings (Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows)

You can create your own custom endings within Band-in-a-Box® - just head to your song settings! Anthony explains how to adjust the settings so that your song ending is customized... watch it now: click here.

Read more about Custom Endings in the online manual, here.

Video - The Melody Sequencer & MIDI Channels in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows

In our latest video, Anthony explains using the Melody Sequencer to separate MIDI channels within the program - Watch now!

Read more about this feature.

Customers LOVE Band-in-a-Box®!

Here's some of the wonderful feedback we've received lately:

"I gotta admit Band-in-a-Box is great software. I have version 2018 and I use it for a ton of my videos i make on my YouTube channel."
"Wow this program has come a long way over the years! Great sounding audio tracks!"
"I absolutely love this product and use it everyday."
"If you want to write songs, then you should use Band-in-a-Box. I simply love it! It really produces a professional touch!"
"For an amateur songwriter like me this software is a dream come true and the fact that these musicians have been paid to create these tracks makes me happy to use this software without worrying about ripping people off. Just brilliant!"
"I've been a PG Music customer for over 20 years. Best value for music software product hands down. Create a full backing track in minutes and then experiment with styles and different instruments for a whole evening. The software is so good, it's the main component in TRIO band creator!"
"I bought the UltraPAK - wow what a revelation! There is so much that can be done to create a backing track of your own making! It took a while at first but now I feel like a pro in just a Month its good value for money..."
"I've been using Band-in-a-Box for decades and love it. Now using Reaper with Band-in-a-Box - Band-in-a-Box Rocks more than ever!"
"This is the greatest thing out, I've got it, just fantastic!"
"It's absolutely unique. No other music software can do what Band-in-a-Box does, and with such great results"
"Band-in-a-Box is an incredible product. Once you get up and running (and it doesn't take long at all) the musical possibilities are endless. The sound quality of the various styles and instruments is superb!"

Thank you everyone - we think our customers are AMAZING!

Do you love Band-in-a-Box too? Take a moment to check the Video Testimonials offer that is always available, and you could receive your next version FREE! For inspiration, check out the Video Testimonials that have already been submitted here!

Forum Stats
29649 Members
60 Forums
58494 Topics
492730 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
gitika, Donniebrook, gazebow, Gaspar Vidal, philouq

29649 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
rsdean 142
Jim 140