Options
Index
#180142 - 11/24/12 01:25 AM [User Showcase] New Song: "Jamaican Moon"
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Hi all,

A little earlier this year, I put together an internet forum for myself and a few friends to work through Andrea Stolpe's book, Popular Lyric Writing: 10 Steps To Effective Storytelling. It's one of my top three favourite songwriting books and uniquely unlike any other songwriting book on the market. The four week long writing challenge proved to be very productive all of us. This is one of the songs I wrote using only her principles.

... Jamaican Moon (on Vimeo)

Please feel free to comment on any aspect of the song: words, music, arrangement, mix, etc.

The song is all Realtracks, Realdrums and me singing. It was written in BIAB, had instruments adjusted in RB and finally mixed in Reaper.

Best regards,
Noel

P.S. If anyone is interested, below is a link to Andrea's book at the Book Depository.

... link to Andrea's book

<span style="color:green">BAND IN BOX INFORMATION<!--color--></span>

Style: _JFNKPOP.STY (JazzFunkPoppyRhythmSectn [110RS])

RealTracks: 1434:Bass, Electric, JazzFunkPoppy Ev16 110
RealTracks: 1639:Piano, Electric, Rhythm JazzFunkBreezy Ev16 075
RealTracks: 1637:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm JazzFunkBreezyChords Ev16 075
RealTracks: 1638:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm JazzFunkBreezyMuted Ev16 075

RealDrums: BossaRockFull^1-a:HiHat , b:Ride

Edited by Andrew - PG Music (01/19/17 01:30 PM)

#180143 - 11/24/12 06:39 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Jamaican Moon" [Re: Noel96]
Loc: Scotland
George Nelson Offline
Expert

Loc: Scotland
Hi Noel,

Could you please insert the Lyrics for this song so that we may learn from you.

I like the Caribbean sound of your song.

Best regards
George

#180144 - 11/24/12 07:39 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Jamaican Moon" [Re: George Nelson]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Hi George,

Thank you for having listen! As soon as I get a chance, I'll do a bit of analysis on my lyrics and post them so that you and others can see how I went about things. That won't be for a little while, though, because I'm drowning in work right at this point in time.

All the best,
Noel

P.S. I've just sent you a private message, too.

#180145 - 11/24/12 09:09 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Jamaican Moon" [Re: Noel96]
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Very relaxed and enjoyable listening.
You used my favourite RealTracks. They mix nicely
with the Bossa drums.

Guenter

#180146 - 11/24/12 09:52 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Jamaican Moon" [Re: boehm]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Noel - what a wonderful "sound" on this. the tracks are great. your vocals are quite nice and the harmonies are a delight. excellent mix. enjoyed listening. great job.

#180147 - 11/24/12 10:00 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Jamaican Moon" [Re: floyd jane]
Tommyc Offline
Veteran

Great Job! I love how the drums completely change the mood of the Funk tracks! Love the lyrics too!

#180148 - 11/24/12 10:57 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Jamaican Moon" [Re: Tommyc]
Loc: Ireland
musiclover Offline
Expert

Loc: Ireland
Very nice Noel, I love the upbeat intro, everything lyrics melody and video mix well together, as regards the video you couldn't have chosen better pics to use.

I like the way you go about your songwriting reading books on how to do it etc, and have saved a few of your posts on this in answer to Don Gaynor I believe.

What video software do you use Noel? I find that its one of the things I spend less time on as I use Muvee reveal, just add the pics and title and it does it all for me.

All the best,
Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 7 (32bit) and 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro,Band in a Box 2019, Cubase 5 and Cubase elements 9

#180149 - 11/24/12 02:32 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Jamaican Moon" [Re: musiclover]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Jamaican me happy with this one man

You almost captured the Caribbean feel here. I say almost because the only thing missing were the steel drums. But even without them this is a keeper.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB and RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware.

#180150 - 11/24/12 05:30 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Jamaican Moon" [Re: boehm]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Hi Guenter,

Thank you. I appreciate your giving me some of your time to have listen.

By the way, I've come to this post from just having listened to your latest (for the young at heart). It's yet another creative creation from you. I thoroughly enjoy your music.

All the best,
Noel

#180151 - 11/24/12 05:33 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Jamaican Moon" [Re: floyd jane]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Hi Floyd,

Thanks for the positive feedback! I'd like to say that I did all my own harmonies but I can't. I'm lazy. My good friend TC Helicon in RB did those for me. Got to hand it to him, he's a talented bit of software.

All the best,
Noel

#180152 - 11/24/12 05:36 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Jamaican Moon" [Re: Tommyc]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Hi Tommy,

Thanks! The minute I heard the bossanova feel with the tracks I had, the mix fell into place. It's amazing how sometimes a single instrument can change the whole vibe of an arrangement!

All the best,
Noel

#180153 - 11/24/12 05:52 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Jamaican Moon" [Re: Noel96]
Loc: 80 Mi North of Sacramento CA
seeker Offline
Veteran

Loc: 80 Mi North of Sacramento CA
Noel,

This is second time I'm trying to comment,
Must have had the 'ole' brain f... and not completed post.

I really enjoyed your music, the vocals albeit emphasized
so nicely in several places, reflect a casual Caribbean feel.

Enjoyed the video aspects also, gives it the extra touch.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Down The Street vs2015 12-03-2014
Win7, AMD QuadA8-5500,16GB,2TeraHD, Komplete 10
PG Ultra Plus 2016,Alesis 12USB, Sonar Platinum

#180154 - 11/24/12 05:53 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Jamaican Moon" [Re: musiclover]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Hi musiclover,

I appreciate your complimentary words. Thank you

Five or six years ago, I had no idea, whatsoever, how one writes lyrics. Melody and harmony were fine, but creating a satisfying lyrical journey to accompany my music completely eluded me. I started reading. Today I must have about 30 or more songwriting books (I've never counted them). I also started attending songwriting seminars. At last, I think it's starting to come together for me!

If it is of any use to you, the most valuable books in my library (and they're ones I keep re-reading over and over again) are the following.
  • Pat Pattison, Songwriting: Essential Guide to Lyric Form and Structure
  • Pat Pattison, Songwriting: Essential Guide to Rhyming
  • Pat Pattison, Writing Better Lyrics (2nd Ed.) (I couldn't be without this one!)
  • Andrea Stolpe, Popular Lyric Writing: 10 Steps to Effective Storytelling

And to help me appreciate many of the subtleties in music (in relation to chord progressions, etc.) ...

• Jai Josefs , Writing Music for Hit Songs

In my opinion, the above books are the only ones anyone needs. They are unique on the songwriting market and I find them invaluable. I worked through every exercise in each book! It was amazing what came from doing that.

Also, if you go to Pat Pattison' Homepage, you'll find a great deal of useful information under the links called "Lyric Tips" and "Videos".

For what it's worth, I usually buy my books through the BookDepository because the prices are good and they have free, worldwide delivery.

Regarding the videos: when I use still images, I assemble the video in Windows Live Movie Make (it's free and it has lots of great transition effects). When I put a movie together I use OpenShot Video Editor in Linux. It's opensource and, unlike Movie Maker, has multiple tracks. These allow me to blend images and movie clips.

All the best with your writing,
Noel

#180155 - 11/24/12 06:01 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Jamaican Moon" [Re: MarioD]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

G'day Mario,

Thanks for the smile you've just given me

Would you believe it, I was so caught up in finding the right Realtracks and Realdrums that I didn't even think of steel drums!!!!! And I love steel drums! I guess my aging brain can only deal with a limited amount of things at any one time. I might go back and had a fiddle with some steel drums when I get a bit of time. Thank you for bringing those to my attention.

All the best,
Noel

#180156 - 11/24/12 06:13 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Jamaican Moon" [Re: seeker]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Hi Frank!

I've got a brain like that too so I fully sympathise. Thank you for having a listen and for the uplifting comments I appreciate it.

All the best,
Noel

#180157 - 11/25/12 09:39 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Jamaican Moon" [Re: MarioD]
Loc: USA
Danny C. Offline
Veteran

Loc: USA
Quote:

Jamaican me happy with this one man

You almost captured the Caribbean feel here. I say almost because the only thing missing were the steel drums. But even without them this is a keeper.

Really like this one also. My only issue is not with the song but because I think I am hearing everything Mario hears. Too often I am thinking what he just wrote.

Very cool song . . . now stop it Mario!

Later,

The More You Drink The Better I Sound

#180158 - 11/25/12 11:34 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Jamaican Moon" [Re: Danny C.]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Great sounding track Noel, I love the harmonies too. I gotta go with Mario and Danny on the steel drums..... I'm gonna go put that on the wishlist for real tracks - wouldn't it be great to have REAL steel drums....

#180159 - 11/26/12 08:32 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Jamaican Moon" [Re: Sundance]
Loc: Charlotte, NC
Tano Music Offline
Expert

Loc: Charlotte, NC
Noel, very "restful" in that caribbean kind of way! THe lyric "fits" the overall sense of the music. And I like how the vocal harmony was done just in the right place, the right way, to emphasize those lines.

I'll add my vote to the steel drum idea.

And a very cool video to boot!

Thanks for the info on the books as well.

#180160 - 11/28/12 02:17 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Jamaican Moon" [Re: Tano Music]
Loc: South Africa
JoanneCooper Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Africa
Very Nice Noel and thanks for all your tips on songwriting books. I am definitely going to be getting a few of those. I have just finished an 8 week songwriting course. I didn’t learn too much about melody or chord structure etc but I did learn some good tips about lyrics. The most important one for me was learning to cut out all the excess words! My songs were all far too wordy!

#180161 - 11/28/12 10:39 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Jamaican Moon" [Re: JoanneCooper]
jptjptjpt Offline
Journeyman

Very sweet song. Well written. The book must be paying off. Great use of BIAB. Neat video too.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
NEW Add-ons for Band-in-a-Box® 2020 - Xtra Styles PAK 9 & Loops-with-Style PAK 2!

We're delighted to be adding 200 GROUNDBREAKING RealStyles to the Band-in-a-Box® collection with Xtra Styles PAK 9!

Our new Rock-Pop additions include neo soul with vocals, classic ska with a horn section, a psychedelic sixties pop ballad, heavier action-scene cinematic metal, post-punk folk rock, six-substyle gospel pop MultiStyle with vocals, and more!

With the latest Jazz Xtra Styles, we've added everything from quarter-feel jazz blues to New Orleans Gospel to jazzy disco funk and gentle bossa folk pop, and more! We've also included a brand-new (huge!) ten-substyle "changes" jazz swing MultiStyle with three different soloist options!

The newest Country RealTracks are a real treat! We've fused folk and Americana instruments with the country sounds you know and love: ethereal and songwriter country ballads, a country rock march, country pop with layered cellos, a country soul groove, and much, much more! The included six-substyle summertime country pop MultiStyle will help you create your perfect summertime hit!

Plus, we've added to our Folk & Beyond collection with our Xtra Styles PAK 9 release! There are 50 fresh new styles, including a Cajun jaw harp boogie, cinematic folk with strings, a modern Celtic folk reel, a gentle three-guitar folk ballad, delta blues with shaker - the list goes on! Add Folk & Beyond 2 and you'll also receive a brand-new eight-part mountain folk MultiStyle!

There are 50 new RealStyles in each genre - get them ALL for only $29 until June 30th! Learn more, listen to demos and order here.

But wait... there's MORE!

We've also rolled out 50 NEW Styles and 100 NEW Loops in Loops-with-Style PAK 2!
Use these new Styles and Loops directly in your Band-in-a-Box® songs to access all their B substyle loop, or load these acidized loops directly into your DAW that supports acid info! Genres include Electronic, Funk, Hip Hop, Jazz, Pop, R&B, Rock, World, plus we're introducing two new genre categories - Gospel and Folk!

Add Loops-with-Style PAK 2 today for just $19! Learn more and purchase here.

Haven't purchased Loops-with-Styles yet? Get the entire collection for only $29 when you bundle Loops-with-Style PAK 1 & Loops-with-Style PAK 2 for only $29! That's 100 Styles and 200 Loops for Band-in-a-Box® for just $29! Order now.

Mac User? Click here for Mac details and purchase links.

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows is Xtra Ready!

We never stop! The latest free patch update for Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows readies the program for the just-launched Xtra Styles PAK 9 (on sale until June 30th - learn more here)!

Update to build 721 and you'll see that we've improved the step-advancing notes display, updated the key command criteria for looping bars from the chordsheet, fixed email client integration, and more.

If you are a Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows user, you'll definitely want to update to the latest free patch update!

Learn more about Band-in-a-Box® 2020 build 721 for Windows and download it here.

#TBT Band-in-a-Box Finds!

I don't know about everyone here, but now that I've settled in to our "new normal" I've taken to rearranging and dusting off many things in order to keep busy and productive!

I'm picking up old hobbies, picking up clutter around the house, and as it turns out - finding forgotten picks!

We snagged these gems many, many, many years ago after The NAMM Show one winter. Check out the old Band-in-a-Box logo! Click here...

Have any of you come across something nostalgic like this these days? Let's see it!
(remember the first Audiophile version?!)

-Callie
Team Marketing

Review - Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac … WOW!

"Dr. Dave" Walker (Dr. Dave On Music) recently received Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac, and he absolutely loves it!

He's written his thoughts in detail, which can (and definitely should) be read here: Band-in-a-Box 2020 for Mac … WOW!

"Band-in-a-Box 2020 is a huge advance over even BB2019, with easier to use, more powerful features that give you more information while creating more musical results. You have never had more control of more features which are now much easier to find. The move forward with this version is astonishing. Again … WOW!

My very highest recommendation. Just upgrade! Or if for some strange reason you don’t have it yet, BUY THIS ONE! It will change your musical life!"
-"Dr. Dave" Walker

Thank you for the review, Dr. Dave!

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Italian for Windows is Here!

Abbiamo lavorato duro e abbiamo aggiunto 50 nuove funzionalità e una straordinaria raccolta di nuovi contenuti, tra cui 202 RealTracks (il doppio dei 101 che abbiamo spesso pubblicato in passato), nuovi RealStyles, SuperTracks MIDI, Studi strumentali, trascrizioni RealDrums, stili Extra PAK 8 e altro!

ACQUISTA/AGGIORNA & SCARICA ADESSO

Interview: Eyes on Success featuring PG Music Inc., Band-in-a-Box® 2020, and the Updated JAWS Script

Take 30 minutes and make sure to listen to the latest episode from Eyes on Success, which focuses on the history of Band-in-a-Box® and using it with the screen reader JAWS, created by Peter Torpey. Hosts Nancy & Peter discuss our company history and Band-in-a-Box program with Tobin, our chief development officer, including how Band-in-a-Box is even more accessible with the help of their JAWS screen reader scripts!

Click here to download and listen to the podcast - you don't want to miss this one!

Eyes on Success is a weekly radio show / podcast geared to the visually impaired called "Eyes On Success" and that can be found at www.EyesOnSuccess.net.

Currently the scripts and associated documentation and resources can be found here.

You can watch Peter Torpey's video testimonial here.

#TipTuesday - Style Changes in Band-in-a-Box®

Head to our Tips & Tricks forum to read what other Band-in-a-Box users have discovered about the program!

Like mrgeeze's recent post Style Changes within a song.. another great BIAB feature.

...My arrangement's bass Real Track was 397 (bass Acoustic Paul).
Solid but not really what I wanted for a solo.

I hit the F5 key to bring up bar setting and poked around till i found the Real Tracks command button in the upper right.
Clicked on that & quickly change the bass to 452 (Soloist (bluesy).
12 bars later I did the same and switched it back to 397.

The results were excellent...

Did you know about this feature? Learn all about Bar Settings and how you can adjust them here.

Forum Stats
32154 Members
65 Forums
64301 Topics
545145 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
Silvana250165, amckean, Greg Pushen, MGraham, farquismusic

32153 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
MarioD 206
Pipeline 188