Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#199065 03/24/13 11:56 AM
RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I've been using RB almost daily for the past few weeks with no problems.

Suddenly today when I try to play a song it goes OK for about 15-18 measures... then the sound starts fluctuating 2 seconds on... 2 seconds off... 2 seconds on... 2 seconds off

once this happens, RB is locked up so tight that even task manager can't shut 'er down.

I've returned to factory settings multiple times. As I write this, the hard drive is defragging.

Any ideas?

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
You wouldn't happen to have a wireless internet card would you? Those things are notorious for causing timed dropouts as they poll your devices.

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
First thing I always ask myself is what changed?

Did you install anything, add a device to your network, put a new bulb in the fridge ..

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

First thing I always ask myself is what changed?

OK, we've ruled out the possibility that my underwear somehow caused it...

Quote:

Did you install anything, add a device to your network, put a new bulb in the fridge ..

last thing I remember changing is that I switched from an M-audio device to a Focusrite Scarlett... but that was several weeks ago, and it has been working well until now.

the defrag finished up and the problem persists.

it doesn't have a wireless network card.

Projects with a lot of tracks are what's failing... even if all but one is muted. I tried several projects with only 3 tracks and they played fine.

I'll go back and see what kind of effects I have on all those tracks....

RealBand
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Pat.

Have you tried going to ACTION - TEST AUDIO PERFORMANCE ? It might be useful to see what the theoretical track count is showing.

One of the things that I've noticed is that using sub-groups is very processor intensive. Could it be something like that?

ROG.

EDIT - Do you have the CPU usage indicator displayed on the toolbar. That would tell you if it's a processor problem.

Last edited by ROG; 03/25/13 02:19 AM.
RealBand
L
Veteran
Veteran
L
High Track count with many audio effects can cause streaming problems. I have found that running the RB program on C Drive, the development seq on an external drive and the Temp file on another external drive all helps. Changing the track buffer size also sometimes helps. Even so I still get problems from time to time.

RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

Hi Pat.

Have you tried going to ACTION - TEST AUDIO PERFORMANCE ? It might be useful to see what the theoretical track count is showing.

nope.. haven't tried that... but I will after work

Quote:

One of the things that I've noticed is that using sub-groups is very processor intensive. Could it be something like that?

there are no sub groups

Quote:

EDIT - Do you have the CPU usage indicator displayed on the toolbar. That would tell you if it's a processor problem.

good idea. I'll try that

RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

High Track count with many audio effects can cause streaming problems. I have found that running the RB program on C Drive, the development seq on an external drive and the Temp file on another external drive all helps. Changing the track buffer size also sometimes helps. Even so I still get problems from time to time.

I've had problems before when using some effects, and I thought that's what it was... but the worst offender has NO effects at all... just a bunch of generated tracks waiting to be trimmed down.

I do have RB on one drive and the projects on another... I'm not sure where the temp files are stored. Good point... I'll check that.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Have you tried turning your underwear inside out yet? That way you get an extra month's usage.

RealBand
Journeyman
Journeyman
Ok, i have the same issue. Only RB, all else is fine.. Tried everything (so far) gave up for now and now am useing my work 16gb 64 bit machine Dell. Not quite legal according to our IT policy ....

I have never Hard booted a PC so many times in my life !!,!

As far as i know i have not installed anything, wifi is off, defragged etc. no luck. Now i am gathering my strength to try again soon.
Guess who will be tracking this thread closely

I'm doing allright for Country Trash ....

I used to care, but things have changed (Bob Dylan)

BIAB 2022W + RB
M-Audio FastTrack C600, Rode NT2-A
Digitech VoiceLive 4

Epiphone Sheraton, Ibanez 12str, Washburn 6str, Cort 6Str Nylon
Yanagisawa Tenor Sax

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
You can check audio temp folder location in the Audio-Prefs section.
You can browse to a different folder to assign a different one.

RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

Have you tried turning your underwear inside out yet? That way you get an extra month's usage.

But of course! I should have realized that since it works for socks it would also work for other articles of clothing!

I'll start changing them monthly (whether they need it or not)

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I do have RB on one drive and the projects on another

What drive are the offending files on?
Is it USB/internal/network/flash/system .. ??

Any clues may help.

The reason I asked what had changed is because you mentioned a 2 second interval .. which seems like a trial software type interrupt. A system interrupt should be much smaller.

Strange behavior indeed, if you haven't changed anything.
Did you try a simple reboot?

My system at work was showing no signs of stress (measurement wise) but performing slowly. About 10AM I rebooted it for the first time in weeks and performance is much better. I think maybe it had bloated up on cached data and updates waiting to be installed (or rejected).

The processor was showing 2% use and the memory only 40% before reboot .. but it was performing poorly.
After rebooting, the processor now reads the same, as does memory, but the system responds much better now.
Sometimes it's the simple things that work.

RealBand
L
Veteran
Veteran
L
I have found that the 2013 version of RB seems very touchy when used with some Effect plugins in Windows 7. In particular, PGMusic RTA which is unusable and AmpliTube3 which can lock up the complete system requiring frequent hard boots.

RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

What drive are the offending files on?
Is it USB/internal/network/flash/system .. ??

the project hard drive is a 2nd regular-type hard drive mounted inside the case (not USB, flash or network)
I changed the TEMP directory from a folder on the system hard drive to a folder on the project hard drive, but it didn't solve the problem

Quote:

Any clues may help.

I'm not quite sure what is crucial information.... especially since small projects still work.

Quote:

The reason I asked what had changed is because you mentioned a 2 second interval .. which seems like a trial software type interrupt. A system interrupt should be much smaller.

I didn't time it, but the interval was longer than a sputter and shorter than 3 seconds

Quote:

Strange behavior indeed, if you haven't changed anything.

one thing that did change... I was burning CDs to play on the car, and between CDs when the tray was open, I got up to do something and my sleeve caught the tray and pulled it off the track. But the CD drive isn't in use when I'm using RB, so My thinking is that it isn't causing the problem. Also, that happened a few weeks ago, and RB has worked fine until this past weekend.

Quote:

Did you try a simple reboot?

yeah, several times (and not by choice... PC was THAT locked up...)

Quote:

My system at work was showing no signs of stress (measurement wise) but performing slowly. About 10AM I rebooted it for the first time in weeks and performance is much better. I think maybe it had bloated up on cached data and updates waiting to be installed (or rejected).

The processor was showing 2% use and the memory only 40% before reboot .. but it was performing poorly.
After rebooting, the processor now reads the same, as does memory, but the system responds much better now.
Sometimes it's the simple things that work.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Pat,
Have you considered placing the .seq file in a dropbox so perhaps someone else can determine if the problem is with the file itself and not your machine?

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

RealBand
Journeyman
Journeyman
If it is like mine the problem is not in the seq file. My system is on the new 2013 drive and i am using one of the now older usb drives for my data.
When i plugged those two into my work machine - no problems ..

I suspect "something" in memory hijacking processors? Mine stutters once or twice and locks up the pc. Even the task manager cannot get RB to close down .....

I'm doing allright for Country Trash ....

I used to care, but things have changed (Bob Dylan)

BIAB 2022W + RB
M-Audio FastTrack C600, Rode NT2-A
Digitech VoiceLive 4

Epiphone Sheraton, Ibanez 12str, Washburn 6str, Cort 6Str Nylon
Yanagisawa Tenor Sax

RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

Pat,
Have you considered placing the .seq file in a dropbox so perhaps someone else can determine if the problem is with the file itself and not your machine?

yes, but as a last effort. I still have a few things to try.

Tonight I'll go back to the M-Audio interface and see if it has the same problem. If it doesn't, then I'll suspect the focusrite driver

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
If the CD drive is locked in some kind of cycle, this may actually be the problem.
Is it stuck in the open position and trying to close and read??

You never finished your description of the current state of the CD drive. Is it still connected to the system with the tray off track? Does it whir, or the light come on?

RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

If the CD drive is locked in some kind of cycle, this may actually be the problem.
Is it stuck in the open position and trying to close and read??

You never finished your description of the current state of the CD drive. Is it still connected to the system with the tray off track? Does it whir, or the light come on?

good point. I didn't hear any noise or see any lights, but I went to device manager and disabled it anyway.
Still crashed.

Changed from Focusrite driver to M-audio driver.
still crashed.

changed from ASIO to MME
still crashed.

tested audio performance... it said I should be able to play 91 mono tracks at a time (problematic project has 7 tracks)

when I CTRL-ALT-DEL'ed to stop the freeze, I got a message saying "bbw2.exe is preventing windows from shutting down" ... but I'm not running BBW, just real band.

I clicked the DETAILS button and it said APPHANGB1, REALBAND.EXE, hang signature 92e5 hang type 0

when the PC rebooted, I got a blue screen of anger

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,663
Posts735,569
Members38,532
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Jeffrey thomas, skyanderson3, akbrpra, Benfil77, William L
38,532 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 163