Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
robvh Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Hi, this is my second post after more then one year. The first time was about a "PARTIAL BIAB" app with transpose function. May be in the wrong forum just one reaction, I just saw, who needed this function as well.

So I'm curious about this one. First of all I'm really glad that a decent "Print to PDF" has been added. Printing to pdf previously didn't function very good since it lost many times the text (Title and chords).

However while using an iPad for music reading one mostly likes to have just one page if possible, although for printed sheet music one usually wants one page as well. If more then 11 staves are present one can easily choose for a smaller font and go up to say 14 staves. Although the font choice seems to be remembered the print setting is not. Many times it annoyed me that I forgot to set the number of staves while printing and wasted in the years hundreds of sheets. So please save the print setting with the song as well or tell me what I do wrong.

This is more obvious when printing multiple songs. And nowadays I print to pdf for my iPad (or tablet). So it is also obvious to have a "Print multiple songs to pdf..." function. The more because when merging pdf's into one book with Adobe Acrobat it creates "AUTOMATICALLY" bookmarks which can be used for searching in your pdf book. How easy can (could) it be!

Musicians and music publishers are still wasting too much paper...come on men we live in the digitised age...Wake up!
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Your request to remember the print settings makes sense. I don't have the same need you do, so I haven't experimented, but I wonder if there might be other settings to remember (or not remember) so that a checkbox could control whether all such custom settings are saved or cleared?

Just a comment about the new PDF printing option: you are correct, it is nice that this was added, but you always could have printed to PDF by installing a printer driver such as Cute PDF and selecting it as your printer. I have printed to PDF for years (decades?) from BIAB and never saw anything truncated like you describe.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
robvh Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Hi Matt,
Thanks for replyïng. I had a little discussion yesterday with my band members. Two of them and me (3) use BIAB already decades but we also use all 3 Adobe Acrobat Pro(9). We always tried to print to "Adobe PDF" in efforts to print to pdf every time a new release of BIAB was presented in the hope they solved the problem. We always noticed that most of the time text (title and chords) was missing in the pdf's 2 or more out of 3 prints so we decided already long ago to print to .jpg and import it into pdf. That's a work around. But one new member in our band told me he did always use "CutePDF writer" and he said never to experience a problem.
So I tried today to print again to "Adobe PDF" and again I experienced the same problem. No text.

However when I did install a few days ago 2013 and tried to use the "Print to PDF" function the first time BIAB asked me to install a driver "PDF995" which I did of course. That function seems to work OK. So I'm was very pleased. So it seems to be a default problem between BIAB and "Adobe pdf". While experimenting today now I noticed that PDF995 seems to be some "sponsered driver" you need to buy it, the print is OK. So I installed CutePDF writer since it does not have this sponsering problem, but surprisingly it acts differently from PDF995 but the print is only ok with a single print.

I did try all drivers one by one in the "print set up" and did make 6 prints. 3 with normal "OK-Print" (also producing a pdf file of course) and 3 times with "Print to pdf"
I noticed that the "Print to pdf" did automatically always choose PDF995, irellevant whatever setting has been choosen. I can see that since it is the only driver which opens with a yellow window at the right top side of BIAB saying "Printing to PDF.....". Then you need to choose in which directory you like to save it. After saving it opens automatically the saved pdf file.

Choosing "OK-Print" will choose the set driver. Of course if chosen PDF995, it follows the same procdure. If printing to Adobe pdf it just opens the window to choose the directory for saving. After saving it opens the pdf, with NO text printed. If choosen the CutePDF writer it follows the same procedure but does NOT open the saved pdf. The result is however the same so OK.

Now while choosing "Print multiple songs" all Adobe results are without text, so useless. Choosing "Print multiple songs" with the CutePDF writer it creates also only files with missing text, so useless as well. Only choosing PDF995 does print correct "multiple songs" except that the only way to struggle through all the time disturbing advertizing resulting it sometimes did save files under wrong names (unbelievable). So the only way to get it all right is to buy it. So far my experience today with BIAB 2013. (XP Sp3)

If one uses "Print multiple songs" and you like to get most songs on one page you need to remember in the song how it is organised to fit to one page. So in options e.g. you set the number of bars at the screen. This seems to be remembered in the song. Although I'm not aware of what is beïng remembered and what is NOT beïng remembered from all the possible settings. It seems that e.g. the "Notation Fonts" (in the same window) is NOT beïng remembered since if you change that it stays the same for all songs.

Trying to get a song into one page will at least effect the font Size (def.) = 24 option and the number of staves. So that will be the least 2 settings more which should be stored into a song. I should not include More... || margins since this is something which needs to be set differently for paper then for tablets. I think that basicly all other options should be the choice of the user if he starts printing since he probably always want it to be the same for all his songs.
So including the "number of bars" it makes 3 properties to be stored into the song in total. That's what I can think of right now, but remember my experience with "all" BIAB options is limited.

Since I've learned now printing using a correct driver like PDF995 while setting up the printer the "print mutiple songs to pdf" is actually not an important gadget anymore. Only I need to install a bought version for multiple song printing.

Musicians and music publishers are still wasting too much paper...come on men we live in the digitised age...Wake up!
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Very interesting and thorough report, thanks.

I long ago abandoned Adobe for generating PDFs.

By the way, a related suggestion: have you tried the free notation software, MuseScore? It will import native BIAB files, including melody AND chords. It has some oddities of its own, but you should take a look; you might like it.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
robvh Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Ok Matt,

I downloaded MuseScore, looks cute but I need to learn it first. Thanks for the tip.

I also bought the PDF995 key to get rid of advertizing. It works and now I can Print multiple songs without interferences and without mixing up song names.
But still it is quite stupid since you need to save every song yourself and to close the pdf views which pops up. Then wait for the next action. The other way is just to wait and then it prints out as many "save windows" as songs you are printing. I tried up to 16.
Then you click 16 times "save" and then 16 pdf viewing windows will pop up which you have to close again. This is of course NOT how you want to print multiple songs. It should not pop up every time with a save to pdf window and it should not show every pdf.

I'm quite sure that this can be only done with a limited number of songs since all the stuff will at some time overload the available memory or whatever and then stop or crash. I know this from other programs. My bands book contain already 200 songs and I doubt it is possible to multiple print tah in one time without keeping up with saving and closing the windows at the same time. May be 10 batches of 20 pages is a feasable task.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Everyone needs to get tablets. Apple or android. I send charts from BIAB to a folder in win explorer and then to dropbox. The players I use and the subs all have access to dropbox and the charts. A tablet is a lot easier to carry around than books with over 200 paper charts in them. Later, Ray

Asus Q500A i7 Win 10 64 bit 8GB ram 750 HD 15.5" touch screen, BIAB 2017, Casio PX 5s, Xw P1, Center Point Stereo SS V3 and EWI 4000s.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, my band's book is on my iPad now. Neat.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
robvh Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Yes and my over 150 books (real fake books) are all bookmarked as well. Including all my band books. The beauty of printing all biab pages in pdf is that when you "merge" them in Adobe Acrobat into one pdf book you get automatically a bookmarked book. You don't need to do anything for it, just merge and open the book in any pdf reader and search (scroll) your bookmarks. I use additionally iGigBook (for the 150 books) , ForScore (for play-along) and the iReal B book for transposable chords. Somebody interested in my free data-base? Ssst......

Last edited by robvh; 04/10/13 03:40 PM.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
FYI - if you don't like the nag screens in PDF995, it only costs, well, $9.95.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
robvh Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
FYI - PDF995 is the only one (at least for me) that shows text in both the "print" and the "print multiple songs" mode So it is the only I could use.

Still for "printing multiple songs" it is needed that the next 5 parameters should be saved into the song (added 2 more):

From the print menu:
1. number of staves
2. fontsize

From the print options (Opt.):
3. Bars/Screen
4. Chord Vertical Position
5. Lyric Position

Then: some choice should become possible (in PDF995) to "save automatically" (option) and to prevent pdf windows to show up (option). In Adobe Pdf you prevent that in the properties. Not so in PDF995

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
E
Journeyman
Journeyman
E
Quote:

This is more obvious when printing multiple songs. And nowadays I print to pdf for my iPad (or tablet). So it is also obvious to have a "Print multiple songs to pdf..." function. The more because when merging pdf's into one book with Adobe Acrobat it creates "AUTOMATICALLY" bookmarks which can be used for searching in your pdf book. How easy can (could) it be!

Well, Acrobat creates markers for each file it has added/merge together. So if you had your PDFs named SONG1.PDF to SONG9.PDF it would have generate bookmarks with those names.

No sure the scope of the program really should encompass this sort of feature. Band in a Box doesn't open multiple files within the program. I guess you could make tweak the jukebox to do it. It sounds like a thing not a lot of people would do, and besides, if there is an iPad App by PGMusic that will open Band in a Box files and display them, isn't that sort of redundant?

A much simpler way would be to script it. On a Mac, it would be pretty easy to get an AppleScript/Automator script created that could open a group of files in a folder with Band in a Box, and print them to PDF to a certain directory, and then run Acrobat to merge them all together. I already have a script that sorta does a lot of this already (the file names in a directory and merging the PDFs). It would be pretty easy to adapt to actually open Band in a Box files and do the other parts.

On PC, I would hope there is some sort of scripting thing you could do that is similar.

Musician, Polymath, Google Jedi, Apple Master, Windows Wrangler and Digital Wizard. High ratings in Nerd-fu & Geek-fu.

M1 Mac Mini, MacBook Pro Touchbar 15", Intel 27" iMac, M1 Mac Mini
https://musician.social/@ericdano
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
robvh Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Citaat:

Well, Acrobat creates markers for each file it has added/merge together. So if you had your PDFs named SONG1.PDF to SONG9.PDF it would have generate bookmarks with those names.

Remember that file names are now (BIAB 2013) using the name of the biab file name (usually your song title) instead of "notation #" which means that after merging you've got a direct scroll with song names. No editing needed while printing or afterwards.
Citaat:

if there is an iPad App by PGMusic that will open Band in a Box files and display them, isn't that sort of redundant?

That app displays only chord names and no music. Then the displayed manner isn't that nice always. So it is for many people a useless app. That's why they sell it so cheap.
Citaat:

Band in a Box doesn't open multiple files within the program.[/quote]
It has the function "Print multiple songs...." from any directory with BIAB files which is used a lot by many people. So why not make proper use of it? Just choose in Setup Printer...PDF995.[quote]On a Mac it would be pretty easy ..... On PC, I would hope there is some sort of scripting.

Please tell me after testing what really works and then post the script if possible for both, Mac and PC. (I use a PC,my bass player a Mac).

We are "almost" near an ideal situation. Multiple print the BIAB directory to pdf, merge and ready you are. Every week you can update your BIAB directory with the songs you want and a few minutes later you can scroll them in your iPad and share the stuff with friends.

Rob

Last edited by robvh; 04/18/13 08:50 AM.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
robvh Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Today I discovered that while using the printer driver from "Adobe PDF" in the printer setup, that although text was missing altogether in the first pdf print (using multiple song printing), in the second song there was one character, in the third print there several more characters, but still at ought places, but from the 4th song and on till 20 it had "learned" to do it without any mistake. So I decided to put 3 fake biab songs as first songs to print. I must say now that in all my next start ups the problem with missing text has vanished anyway. Strange.

Why, using now Adobe PDF? Because you can set the driver to uncheck the "View Adobe PDF result". This cannot be done in the PDF995 driver.
You go to Setup Printer choose "Adobe PDF"
Then Choose aside that setting "Properties" go to Tab "Adobe PDF settings"
Uncheck "View Adobe PDF results"
Uncheck Rely on systems fonts only (it will use BIAB fonts)
Uncheck Ask to replace existing PDF file (optional)
Then do NOT USE the default choice in the Adobe PDF Output Folder field but browse for a directory you like dump all your *.pdf files. Don't give the file a name keep it *.pdf.
This will prevent the need to manually save every file. So it fully automatically prints the complete contents of a biab directory into pdf files.
Have fun.

Last edited by robvh; 04/19/13 05:32 AM.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
robvh Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
I'm very curious if someone already discovered another program that can "print multiple songs" to pdf properly. "Adobe Acrobat Pro" does with the correct propererty settings. But it's too expensive for many people (unless you downloaded an illegal version). I can imagine some other pdf writers might do the same. Untill now I didn't find one. Tried 7 now. None of them are suitable. Either the text has gone or you need to save file by file and/or you need to close each pdf example.

Last edited by robvh; 05/05/13 01:01 AM.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,635
Posts735,274
Members38,522
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR, Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy
38,522 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 181