Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
If you've been following the Off Topic Forum lately, you may have noticed a post "What is the Problem with Jazz?" The idea was based on a sensible suggestion by Floyd, who conjectured that there would be a lot of response. He wasn't kidding.

The outpouring of collective wisdom hasn't stopped long enough to write up a compilation of the results, but Pat Marr made a suggestion that I've turned on its head in a way: Play some old tunes in a new style.

The tune here is certainly old (1924, ASCAP) and the style will be familiar to anyone (Mac for sure) who knows the name Milt Buckner and his "locked hands" approach (taken further by George Shearing). Milt was one of the first pianists to take up the Hammond B3 and I know that he played the "heal-toe" pedals because I saw him do it one New Year's Eve at an old club in the Boston area called "Lennie's On The Turnpike," along with tenor sax wildman Illinois Jacquet and the late, great Boston drummer Alan Dawson.

Incidentally, there is a lot of confusion about B3 players and the pedals. Straightening this out would take another discussion on the Off Topic Forum. But the truth should come out once and for all.

In any event, I titled this post PLAY CHORDS! because I have Milt Buckner's piano LP by the same name. It made a big impression on me. What may be "new" is my adaptation of Milt's style to the guitar. Take that "new" with a grain of salt, because there are just too may guitar players.

The point is that it's very hard to play lots and lots of incoherent chords at 120 mph than individual notes. And chords establish a built-in melodic orientation that single notes do not. I promise that you will hear not one single individual guitar note when you listen to

BYE BYE BLACKBIRD: https://soundcloud.com/aleckrand/bye-bye-blackbird

Aleck Rand on guitar and bass, RT artist Terry Clarke on drums.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
BRAVO!

Maaaan, I wish I could do that!

why, If I could in fact play like that, I'd quit my job and spend every day in front of the mirror playing jazz and admiring myself for being able to do so.

But.. I can't. Bummer too, because I like that fantasy.

;-)

(very impressive, Aleck)

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Aleck,

Actually, Pat deserves the credit for the Off Topic suggestion (and WOW, what an explosive topic it has become). I simply seconded it and passed it on.

More cool stuff here. Man! that is a LOT of chords to have to play! Some GREAT transition chords in there. The bass solo is sweet (parts of it get a "wee bit" soft).

Very innovative. And quite enjoyable.

floyd

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Floyd,

You're right about the bass solo - I'm groping around for direction at about the midpoint, things get a bit slopped up. You got some good ears on you man.

Certainly, the avalanche of collective wisdom based on the suggestion of Pat and yourself is something to behold. My intention is to go through the responses and try to boil it down to the critical points.

Based on the responses, there will be Possible Solutions #2,3, ... forthcoming. Thanks for helping get the whole thing started.

Aleck

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Pat,

You basically fired the gun that forced the flow of ideas at the Off Topic Forum to accelerate into an avalanche. I'm planning to distill the best responses - and your contributions have been among the best - into a short form, and then add my take on it.

And thanks for your comments here. If I had an ego, my head and chest would be swelling up while I strut with my thumbs pulling on imaginary suspenders. It seems that in the pre-birth factory I missed the line that said, "Get your egos righ' chea!" but that doesn't stop me from feeling appreciation and gratitude for your kind remarks.

Aleck

User Showcase
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Here's a bit of a take on your opening point in the big thread in the off-topic forum....

You mentioned lyricism as being necessary. I fully agree with this. Key part of the word being 'Lyric'.

Why do Jazz and other 'wordless' forms command such a little portion of overall CD sales?

It's my opinion that for many, the purpose of music is in support of lyrics. Making this statement may offend some, but it is only intended to provoke some thoughts:

Spoken word CDs probably account for even less of overall CD sales as Jazz.

There is undeniable power and magic in the proper coupling of a turn of word coupled with music that strengthens and seeds the words in the mind.

I participate in the monthly music contests over at KVRaudio.com I have placed in the prize-winner-worthy vote totals about 10 percent of my particpation, and each time it was with songs that had lyrics. Participation in those contests are from primarily instrumental composers; and to narrow it even further, they are what would be considered 'electronic' artists. One of the months that I placed was a very simple two track song - acoustic guitar and vocals. Much more 'talented' songs were submitted and didn't make into the top three. My voice is not what won the votes - I can assure you of that! But the power of the words and the simple backing of a single acoustic guitar track grabbed the attention of the voters, I believe.

I am currently listening through all of your Soundcloud tracks. In the list is "On Luna Street", where RT soloist on trumpet has some lyricism, and then large chunks of the solo are what seem to be a mere technical exercise to show how many notes can be shoved into a short amount of time eg. 2:30-2:50 in the track time indicator. So many notes, that their rhythm; the timing between notes; is significantly shorter than the typical timing of syllables of spoken word even for languages that have a fairly rapid cadence. I think this is one of the 'boundaries' of a couple things as it pertains to any music:

1. The average listener's ears 'glaze over' when presented with something so difficult to 'track'. They simply lose interest. They can't hear the lyricism. Trumpet players that are jazzers might really like that section. To me, it's the most tedious, and if I was listening to it on the radio, would have me changing stations - no matter how talented the musician was. One of my favorite trumpet solos is Freddie Hubbard in "Maiden Voyage" to give you an idea of my 'speed' when it comes to tracking with a musician in a jazz tune. It's why I like 'Naima' better than Coltrane's other stuff.

2. The average musician probably loses interest when he/she can't necessarily 'transcribe' live while listening due to speed and lack of a modal or scale structure.

3. Perhaps coupled to this is the ability to hum along - to internalize the song. Most people, even talented vocalists can't hum along with the solo section I highlighted above. I think this is why smooth jazz is the most popular of forms that get thrown into the jazz category - you can normally hum along with it.

But I suspect, it's the lack of pairing of lyrics with hook-laden melody that causes Jazz to be relatively unpopular.

I recently completed a shortened version of Pat Pattison's songwriting course online (6 weeks vs. several classes longer than that), and at least 4 weeks of the lectures were about writing and phrasing of lyrics. It's almost as if the music aspect was secondary.

Enough lunchtime rambling! But I think this observation might couple well with the inability to play chords at such rapid speed as individual note soloing like the trumpet stuff in "On Luna Street". Allow people to follow where you are taking them, unless, that is, you don't want them to follow!

-Scott

Last edited by rockstar_not; 05/23/13 11:43 AM.
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Why do most people only listen to music if it has lyrics? Well for one it's what most people are accustomed to. To quote Paul Weller of the British punk group The Jam ..'The Public Want What The Public Get'

Today I was playing some fairly far out jazz on my car stereo to a six year old boy. It was a piece called Remolino by the sax player Tony Malaby and his nonet from the album 'Novela'. (You can check out some clips if you dare at CD Universe). It has all sorts of weird transitions of style going from cartoon like soundtrack music through sultry third world rhythms to all out freedom. He was absolutely enthralled by it and wants me to give him the CD!!

If he goes on to have the usual musical education at school and is exposed as he definitely will be to mainstream pop and rock music then I doubt whether he will retain his innocent glee at the sounds he heard today. In fact he'll probably go on to hold opinions very close to your own.

Oh btw,lovely playing Aleck! Chord melody isn't usually something I've aspired to but your rendition makes me want to rectify that deficiency.!

Alan

Last edited by alan S.; 05/23/13 05:10 PM.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Aleck,

Before you offer all your solutions, I want to challenge you to use your musical mastery in the context of original songs.

I know you've paid for rights to use the songs presented so far... but forum rules are different than copyright rules. Forum rules specifically limit the user showcase to ORIGINAL tunes to which you OWN ALL THE RIGHTS (not just having paid for a specific right)

We'd all like to show what we've done with covers/standards ... but out of respect for PGMusic's rules most of the people who post here post originals.

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Does this also apply to reharmonized standards where the forum member has gone to great lengths to disguise the original changes and alter the melody? At what point does the rendition become a genuine contrafact of the original?

Alan

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: alan S.
Does this also apply to reharmonized standards where the forum member has gone to great lengths to disguise the original changes and alter the melody? At what point does the rendition become a genuine contrafact of the original?

Alan

Ask George Harrison. grin

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Aleck,

you do a great job on the guitar and the bass.
I don't understand that "jazz problem" discussion.
To each his own.

Guenter

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Pat and Alan,

I'll take up Pat's challenge under the reasonable condition that both of you examine and hopefully critique the following material:

http://www.uri.edu/artsci/math/clark/copyright.html

http://www.uri.edu/artsci/math/clark/coversongs.html

http://www.uri.edu/artsci/math/clark/reviews

The last page is the most important. On the User's Forum I performed Lush Life and In My Solitude with the original lyrics, Estate with my own lyrics. With the exception of Big Sol, all the arrangements are my own. Three things cannot be overemphasized

• [1] Who it is that sets all of PG music's policies, and that some of these policies have been necessarily left vague.

[2] The extent to which I've gone to protect PG Music from copyright infringement.

[3] ASCAP's New Media licensing policies are unequivocal with respect to copyright, whether you use the term "own," "rent," "lease," etc., the key point is being legally able to stream.

I look forward to hearing from you.

With kind regards,

Aleck

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi Guenter,

The so-called "Jazz Problem" boils down to this: It has been established that there are many users of BIAB that are dedicated Jazz musicians, however, since I joined the User's Forum none of them has contributed anything. I get the impression that they don't even visit the Forum. Why is that, especially in view of the profound decline of Jazz in the US and all those juicy Jazz RealTracks? Here they have a venue to perform the music as they would want to hear it.

Jazz flourishes in Europe, which may explain why your reaction is, as I understand it, "What Jazz Problem?"

And, of course, thank you for the positive comments.

Aleck

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hey Floyd,

I agree with your comments about the bass, so I went back and redid it. I think it's better now.

Dean

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Melodies are copyrighted, chord changes are free domain. Hooks to a song can probably be copyrighted. Look how many tunes are written to "Rhythm" changes. As far jazz being unpopular, that is not the case. Too many of the top echelon of jazz players are still making CDs and making a lot of money. Miles' "Kind of Blue" is still a big seller. Chick, Herbie, 'Trane, etc. are still making money. It depends on where you are as to the success of jazz. It's alive and well in the D.C. area. Any night of the week there are places to go and hear live jazz. Different kinds of jazz as well. Just sayin'................ Later, Ray

Last edited by raymb1; 05/24/13 01:01 PM.

Asus Q500A i7 Win 10 64 bit 8GB ram 750 HD 15.5" touch screen, BIAB 2017, Casio PX 5s, Xw P1, Center Point Stereo SS V3 and EWI 4000s.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
As to why there aren't a lot of jazz players posting their tunes in the User Showcase, a lot of us are using BIAB for live performance only. I have about 1,500 or so tunes in BIAB that I use for live gigs. I have no interest in posting tunes in the User Showcase. BIAB has made a lot of money for me over the years by being able to do a solo gig with bass and drums accompaniment. So that is my main point, BIAB for live performance. Every time a problem arose with BIAB someone on the forum would help out. The only time I ever posted a tune was to get help on recording at home. Later, Ray

Asus Q500A i7 Win 10 64 bit 8GB ram 750 HD 15.5" touch screen, BIAB 2017, Casio PX 5s, Xw P1, Center Point Stereo SS V3 and EWI 4000s.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
here's my take on your articles (Only because you asked):

1) the first two discuss what's LEGAL, but that's not the issue here. A comparison that comes to mind is that of visiting the home of someone who has requested visitors not to smoke. The visitor may argue that it is legal to smoke, and he may even be right. But still it would be inappropriate to override the owner's request.

The rule I'm talking about is not the law, it is the condition for participation that PGMusic has set forth in clear writing.

2) My take on the last one (a collection of attaboys from Peter Gannon) is as follows:

It is important that they have clearly posted rules in case the music gestapo tries to make a fuss. But PGmusic has often winked at their own rules. The adage that it's easier to get forgiveness than it is to get permission applies here.

Furthermore, Dr. Gannon has shown himself to be an amazingly tolerant person. He has no incentive to bear down on anybody, that's a lose-lose proposition for any businessman... and I think he'd rather people had fun, which you are clearly doing.

Plus, he clearly likes what you're doing, and rightly so. But that's a different discussion.

Obviously, I can't speak for the owner of the business. But I can point to the rules that apply to everybody else on the forum. Many people have bemoaned the fact that they aren't supposed to post their versions of other peoples' songs. Those who have asked for permission have been denied. On the other hand, those who have presumed approval and just posted have never been reprimanded as far as I can see.

Returning to the analogy, you may not be openly chastised for smoking in the non-smoker's house.. but all of the other smokers who have sucked it up and honored the owner's wishes will certainly take note.

Last edited by Pat Marr; 05/24/13 10:07 PM.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Pat,

I always enjoy reading what you write. I have a great deal of admiration for the clarity that you bring when issues are confusing and confronting. I hope you don't mind my adding my "two cents worth" to your below statement.

Originally Posted By: Pat
On the other hand, those who have presumed approval and just posted have never been reprimanded as far as I can see.

Since the User Forum began around three years ago, there have been a number of arrangements of copyrighted songs posted. By far, the large majority of those posts have been removed, without fuss, by moderators. Whether or not posters are reprimanded, I don't know. Such posts have been here one day and gone the next. Maybe PG Music send an email to these posters because I've noticed that it's rare for a poster to infringe copyright a second time.

In addition, my observations are that posting arrangements of songs in the public domain has never been an issue since the poster fulfills PG Music's requirements that "You must have all of the rights to the songs." No laws are broken when working with public domain material and the arranger holds all relevant copyright rights.

It's also worth noting that when a song is originally copyrighted as "words and music by composers A and B (even C, D, etc.)", then each of those composers are credited with writing both words and music; whether one composer was the main lyricist and another was the main melodist is irrelevant. Simply removing or changing lyrics does not make any difference in relation to copyright infringement in these instances. If a song is originally copyrighted as "words by A and music by B", then different copyright rules apply. Sometimes, with the passage of time, a "words by A and music by B" copyright morphs into "words and music by A and B". My understanding is that in such instances, the original copyright applies and any rewording does nothing to modify that original copyright. (Maybe that's just Australia, though.)

It's true that every once in a while a song can slip past the forum moderators. I suspect that this is because either (a) the song is less well known and the moderator is not aware that the post infringes copyright on one or more levels, or (b) the number of new posts between the moderator's visits makes it difficult to check every detail of every post.

I can only speak for myself. I have a huge respect for all that Peter Gannon has done in relation to PG Music, the BIAB suite of software programs, and this amazing on-line community of forums that he graciously provides and maintains. I would never want to do anything to jeopardize PG Music. Peter looks after me way too well. That's also why I like to help others understand the product in the various forums. It's my way of saying "Thank you, Peter and PG Music."

Kind regards,
Noel

P.S. I've also 'met' some excellent people on these forums and I enjoy their friendship a great deal smile

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Noel,

thanks for adding such a detailed and helpful response! You keep a closer watch on the showcase than I do. Apparently the songs that were removed all happened when I wasn't watching.

I like the fact that PGMusic maintains protocol in such a peaceful non-confrontational way. I also like the fact that the users tend to keep one another aware of the rules. After all, we have a vested interest in the forum, and I think most of us would hate to lose access to such a rich resource.

Regarding forum friendships, I agree 100%

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi Guys

I think the only exceptions I can think of to your well reasoned and well taken points is the instance of the contrafact.

On the surface of it, many would say there's no issue here.
Looking at jazz history and the kind of melodies composed over chord progressions to well known standards its clear that many of them bear little or no relation to their original inspirations and indeed qualify as full blown improvisations on the harmonies in many cases.

But what if someone were to post a so called 'original' composition that used the melodic outline and form of a well known song changing a note here or there perhaps adding some additional notes but not in a way that really disguised it's identity? Perhaps a chord or two is changed but again the functional structure is retained with all the points of resolution clearly following the original tune.

Assuming the tune was well enough known to be recognizable in the first instance, what would be the attitude of the forum towards this kind of re-creation? And would such a tune qualify as a contrafact at all?

Alan

Last edited by alan S.; 05/25/13 06:00 AM.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,461
Members38,439
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
MIX-I-MUSIX 2.0, Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195