Options
Index
#205072 - 06/01/13 04:20 PM [User Showcase] The Story Of John "Grizzly" Adams
Loc: Helsinki, Finland
dani48 Offline
Veteran

Hi, folks !

This is my first attempt at writing a western !
It started out with the chorus part and the rest
of the tune was built around it. I got a feeling
that the melody pointed to the Gold Rush of 1849
(California) and a mountain man called John "Grizzly"
Adams, that had an unusual hand with Grizzly bears
I dedicate this tune to Don, as I know that he is
a lover of western tunes and for his big heart in
helping other people ! Thank you Don, you are great !:)

http://www.box.com/s/xbnu9w5lo58h19rp3o0l

Hope you like it ? smile

The BIAB style backing is Cowboy
and the recording and mixing gear
is Zoom H4n and mixcraft 6

Cheers
Dani

Edited by dani48 (06/02/13 10:51 AM)

#205073 - 06/01/13 04:24 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Story Of John "Grizzly" Adams [Re: dani48]
dani48 Offline
Veteran

THE STORY OF JOHN “GRIZZLY” ADAMS (Music and words by Dani Limerose)

Back in forty nine,
on the Trail of California, we were heading for the goldmines
down the trail to Sutter´s Mill

It was raining hard,
and the men were tired and weary from a journey on the lines
of the river banks at will

T´was the days of golden dreams
forgotten as it seems
the quest for gold!

As the night broke on,
we were camping at the Tejon Pass, when suddenly a grizzly
came a roaring t´wards our camp

We all frowned to stone,
as there was no chance to run, alas, he´d get us in the darkness
running wildly in the swamp

Then we heard a whistle blow
and the bear stopped short, you know

this tale untold!

So I came to meet,
our saviour standing high and tall, John Adams was his name
and they called him Grizzly John
He was six n half feet
and he told us he had heard the call
for help we had directed t´wards Our Holy Son

T´was a night I can´t forget
when the stage was almost set
t´wards disaster for us all
now you´ve heard my story roll

this tale unfold !

Edited by dani48 (06/02/13 09:06 AM)

#205097 - 06/02/13 04:48 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Story Of John "Grizzly" Adams [Re: dani48]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hi Dani,

Well I have to say you've really extended your songwriting with this one. You've definitely got my "great effort" star for being adventurous smile

Also, there are some terrific chord changes in this arrangement. A few times during the listen, I found myself thinking, "I like that! I'd better sit down and work out what that chord progression was." Loved the harmony.

All the best with that next one, now!
Noel

#205111 - 06/02/13 09:09 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Story Of John "Grizzly" Adams [Re: Noel96]
dani48 Offline
Veteran

Hi, Noel !:)

You are all too kind, but I do
appreciate your nice comments
very much !.) The progression is
Am, Em,Dm,C,A# and the same steps
back again going to F and G !:)

Cheers
Dani

#205134 - 06/02/13 12:02 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Story Of John "Grizzly" Adams [Re: Noel96]
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi Dani,

Originally Posted By: Noel96

you've really extended your songwriting with this one.

Guenter

#205136 - 06/02/13 12:08 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Story Of John "Grizzly" Adams [Re: dani48]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

I agree with Noel. Good effort in stretching your songwriting Dani and the harmony was really nice.

#205158 - 06/02/13 03:37 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Story Of John "Grizzly" Adams [Re: boehm]
dani48 Offline
Veteran

Hi, Guenter !

Thank you so much for your
kind comment !:) I do not
know what came over me, but I
was caught by the progression
and the story of the Great
Gold Rush to California combined
with the simultaneous story of John Grizzly Adams !:)

Cheers
Dani

#205160 - 06/02/13 04:07 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Story Of John "Grizzly" Adams [Re: dani48]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Dani,

Maybe its because English is not your first language (or is it?) but I really liked the way you phrased the verses. There was an equally poetic / conversational quality to them... conversational in the sense that the words would work in a story-telling setting... but poetic because the average person these days would not state the events in quite same way as you did, and I like the presentation you chose.

A story is told from the vantage point of one, with all of that individual's opinions, beliefs, fears, dreams etc automatically rolled into the equation. The fact that your character said:
Quote:
and he told us he had heard the call
for help we had directed t´wards Our Holy Son
that takes it out of the realm of generality and places it directly into the mouth of an individual. I liked that.

I also liked your accent in the context of the gold rush, because at that time in American history there was a huge immigration in process, and most of the characters of such historical tales were of European origin, and their language was still primarily from their country of origin

In summary, your song evokes the believable image of a saloon in a goldrush shanty town where an immigrant prospector walks up to the piano player and lays down a sack of gold dust for an opportunity to sing his tale of adventure

Thanks for sharing such a colorful story.

Edited by Pat Marr (06/02/13 04:15 PM)

#205166 - 06/02/13 05:04 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Story Of John "Grizzly" Adams [Re: Sundance]
dani48 Offline
Veteran

Hi, Josie !:)

I am glad you liked the tune !
I was not sure if I should sing
it one octave lower, which would
have been my normal range, but then
the harmonizing would probably have
sounded weird (I guess) ! In any case
Josie, I thank you for your kind comment !:)

Cheers
Dani

Edited by dani48 (06/02/13 05:04 PM)

#205167 - 06/02/13 05:14 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Story Of John "Grizzly" Adams [Re: dani48]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Dani -
That is quite a story to put to song. Nicely detailed. I was amazed with the fact that you rhymed that last line.... the quest for gold/this tale untold/this tale unfold. I'd like to see how Noel would describe that ABABX-wise...

Keep going!

floyd

#205169 - 06/02/13 05:33 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Story Of John "Grizzly" Adams [Re: Pat Marr]
dani48 Offline
Veteran

Dear Pat !

You are right, my mother´s tongue
is swedish and it is a natural
handicap trying to sing country
and western music. smile When I sing
other types of music I do not feel the
difference to be as big as it is in
this genré ! smile I would need to live
in the US for some 10 years to get over
this handicap (lol) !:) By your thorough
analysis of the tune and the lyrics I think
you really liked it,though, and that makes me
outright glad ! Thank you so much Pat !!:)

Cheers
Dani

#205171 - 06/02/13 05:40 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Story Of John "Grizzly" Adams [Re: floyd jane]
dani48 Offline
Veteran

Hi, Floyd !:)

Thank you for your kind comments,
very much appreciated !:)
Rhymin´in another language than
your own is not always easy, but
in this case it just came out
of the blue !:) I have been listening
to your tunes and reading your
lyrics and I can tell you I could
never reach that level of professionalism !:)
Not in my own language either !:)
Thank you Floyd, I am a fan of yours as
of many others on this site !:)

Cheers
Dani

#205179 - 06/02/13 08:32 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Story Of John "Grizzly" Adams [Re: dani48]
Loc: Oklahoma, USA
Don Gaynor Offline
Veteran

Loc: Oklahoma, USA
Hi, Floyd !:)

Thank you for your kind comments,
very much appreciated !:)
Rhymin´in another language than
your own is not always easy, but
in this case it just came out
of the blue !:) I have been listening
to your tunes and reading your
lyrics and I can tell you I could
never reach that level of professionalism !:)
Not in my own language either !:)
Thank you Floyd, I am a fan of yours as
of many others on this site !:)

Cheers
Dani

Oklahoma cowboy translation (Swedish to Okie)

Howdy, Floyd,

A great big gracias for nice stuff and that. Makin' stuff rhyme in a dadblamed ferin' lingo or my own is like tryin'ta pack sand in a dadgummed Prairie Dawg hole wifa limp Rattlesnake. Then tuther
tymes it's sorta lak Owl dung outta yer basic clear blue skah.

Ah bin asquinti'n mah good eah at yall's pickin' and a'cipherin yer lingo and I'm afeerd I'm doomed t'remain a tenderfoot. Not in me own lingo nuther.

Much grass Amigo Floyd. A fan of yorn and otherns.

Drink up!
Daniel Boone

SoundClick: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1209254&content=music
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/donald-gaynor
BIAB 2019 w/current updates.

#205180 - 06/02/13 09:02 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Story Of John "Grizzly" Adams [Re: dani48]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Now Don....

Your gonna confuse the lad, doncha think?

Here's the thing that always put it in perspective for me....

Dani can speak my language fluently. I don't know word one of his. (And my ancestors are Swedish!). I'd say that puts him up several rungs on the ladder... (I know your just funnin' 'im...)

floyd

#205194 - 06/03/13 03:03 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Story Of John "Grizzly" Adams [Re: dani48]
dani48 Offline
Veteran

Hi, guys !

Thank you for your most kind comments !

Cheers
Dani

Edited by dani48 (06/04/13 07:19 PM)

PG Music News
Xtra Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box® for Windows Special Extended!

Customers LOVE the new Xtra Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box® 2019, so why would we end our special so soon?

The answer: We're not going to! We've extended our Xtra Styles PAK special to October 15th - so there's still time to add 164 new RealStyles to your collection for just $29!

In fact, we've put all of our earlier Xtra Styles PAKs (1-6) on sale for just $29 each until October 15th, and always offer specific genre for just $15 each.

For more information and to listen to demos, click here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac New Features Video!

Want to learn all about the new features in our just-released Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac? Check out our latest video:
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac®! New! All 64 bit program, VST/AU 64 bit plugin, 202 RealTracks & more!

Jump to the feature you'd like to learn about the most by choosing from the table of contents, listed in the video description, or here.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac - Upgrade Today and Save Up To 50%!

Just released: Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac with 64+ new features (64-bit!!!!), 202 New RealTracks, 40 Unreleased RealTracks, 10 "Low Man" and Re-amped "12-Key" Metal/Thrash Electric Guitar RealTracks, "Look Ma! More MIDI!" – 30 MIDI Styles, 12 new MIDI SuperTracks, 240 new Instrumental Studies, 18 new Artist Performances, and a new Xtra Styles PAK 7!

We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until October 15, 2019 - save UP TO 50% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac Upgrade!

We've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Mac 2019 packages, but for more even more Add-ons (including 40 Unreleased RealTracks) upgrade it to the 2019 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

Check out our packages page for all the purchase options available, or visit this discussion on our Band-in-a-Box® for Mac forum.

Video - 202 NEW RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac!

With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac we also released 202 NEW RealTracks (in Sets 301-328)!

Listen to all the individual demos here, or watch our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac - 202 New RealTracks Overview Video here

Get all 202 new RealTracks when you purchase any Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition, or the PlusPAK upgrade, on sale until October 15th!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac - 49 Requests Fulfilled!

49 of your Problems solved? List of 49 Requests fulfilled in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac.

With Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac there are a lot of new features, 202 RealTracks, and more. We get ideas for the new features and new RealTracks from our users. There are several sources, our Wishlist and general forum, support phone calls, trade shows, etc. In most cases, customers are not describing a new feature – they are describing a problem they have that they would like to have solved.

Here is a list of our features and additions in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac, presented from a unique perspective. It is from this customer list of "problems they would like solved." These are not exact quotes, they are paraphrased from our discussions with our customers. They explain what problems and requests they discussed with us, that resulted in the various new features and RealTracks. Hopefully this answers the question "Why did you add this feature/content?"

So, without further ado, here are the 49 requests/problems that we (hopefully) have solved with the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2019. We hope that many of them are relevant to you as well. And please keep suggesting new ones, we appreciate that.

Q. Almost all of my music apps are 64 bit, as is my Mac OS. But Band-in-a-Box® is 32 bit. And Apple's next OS, Catalina 10.15 is set to be released in October 2019 (the beta is available now), and that won't even run 32-bit apps! Can you make a 64 bit version?
A. Yes, we’ve done this with Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac. The app is 64 bit and the executable name is still Band-in-a-Box®.app (if you have an older 32-bit version it will get automatically renamed during the install to Band-in-a-Box®-32bit.app ).

Q. I have 64 bit plugins that I want to use with Band-in-a-Box®. But they only work with 64 bit apps. Can I use them with Band-in-a-Box® 2019, without having to use any special software for this?
A. Yes, 64 bit Plugins work natively with the 64 bit version of Band-in-a-Box® 2019. This means you can use your 64 bit plugins, including ones that use huge amounts of memory (more than 2GB).

Q. Does Band-in-a-Box® 2019 work on the latest OS, Catalina 10.15, as that has many changes?
A. Yes, Band-in-a-Box® 2019 is 64-bit and runs great on Catalina (and older OS's down to and including 10.6.8 Snow Leopard)

Q. I like Snow Leopard as an OS (10.6.8), will Band-in-a-Box® 2019 still run on that with all features working?
A. Yes, Band-in-a-Box® 2019 64 bit version runs great on older OS's including Snow Leopard, and has identical features and operation to the newer OS's

See the full list here!

Xtra Styles PAK 7 for Mac is Here!

Xtra Styles PAK 7 for Mac is here! These work with the RealTracks & RealDrums in your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 UltraPAK, UltraPAK+ or Audiophile, and are a GREAT addition to your Band-in-a-Box® resources!

Listen to all the great new RealStyles in Xtra Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac: click here

Xtra Styles PAK 7 and all the Xtra Styles PAKs from 1 thru 6 are on sale for only $29 each during our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac special! Learn more...

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac is HERE!

Attention Mac users...Band-in-a-Box® 2019 is HERE! https://www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.htm

There are 64 new features, including our brand-new 64-bit version of Band-in-a-Box®, which works well with the latest plugins and 64-bit OS features! There's also a new 64-bit VST/AU/AAX Plugin of Band-in-a-Box, which you can use inside your favorite DAW (GarageBand, Logic, Reaper, Pro Tools, Digital Performer, Ableton, PreSonus, etc.) to generate styles, RealTracks, RealDrums, Multi-Riffs, etc... AND SO MUCH MORE!

Watch our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 - Everything you need to know in under 6 minutes! video to see the new version in action!
Click here to watch...

PLUS... During our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac release, we're offering some AMAZING upgrade pricing - save up to 50% on most upgrades! Plus, we have a Bonus PAK full of great new Add-ons FREE! You can upgrade it to the 2019 49-PAK to receive even more NEW Add-ons including up 40 additional RealTracks... that's 242 NEW RealTracks!

Band-in-a-Box® packages: click here

Bonus PAKs: click here

Forum Stats
30053 Members
62 Forums
60010 Topics
505265 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
smeier, Prof P, Rakejazzman, stevemac70, Auggie9000

30053 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)