Options
Index
#208497 - 07/03/13 07:44 PM [User Showcase] Surfing in NY
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Surfing in NY

Surfs up in Upper Western NY! Of course the waves on the Erie Canal aren’t much to look at much less to try and surf in. However there is some surfing in Lake Ontario and in fact there is a surfing club in Rochester NY.

Based on another thread that talked about surf music it dawned on me that I had not played a surf song in years. So I thought I would give it a try again.

I used BiaB style CC_Hive-Ev. 8th Alt. Rock Gru for this song.

I deleted all but the drums, which I heavily modified to better fit the song. I am playing the bass, rhythm and lead guitars and the farfisa organ. The Farfisa organ is a free VSTi that I found. I played it via my MIDI keyboard controller.

I tried to make this sound like a live recording. The lead guitarist is using the normal ‘lots of reverb’ sound that was popular in the mid 60’s.

Let me know what you think.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB and RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware

#208501 - 07/03/13 09:02 PM [User Showcase] Re: Surfing in NY [Re: MarioD]
joden Offline
Journeyman

Terrific tune Mario smile Only comment from me is there is a tad too much rev over the whole track..it is good on the lead guitar, but for my taste it would be better to be pulled back on the rest, drums rhythm guitar and bass. That way the main lead is a standout.

Still a great listen over morning coffee - good job. Wish I could play guitar an bass (real ones I mean wink )

Dennis

#208527 - 07/04/13 06:42 AM [User Showcase] Re: Surfing in NY [Re: MarioD]
Loc: Florida
90 dB Offline
Veteran

Tubeular tune, brah. Gnarly guitar there. Totally stoked dude.

Regards,

Haole

Edited by 90 dB (07/04/13 06:44 AM)

#208532 - 07/04/13 07:49 AM [User Showcase] Re: Surfing in NY [Re: MarioD]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

coupla thoughts:

1) the reverb reminded me of playing in a high school gymnasium. I know that sound!

2) I was afraid you wern't going to use the whammy bar, but about halfway through I got my wish

3) you sure managed to squeeze in many of the period's cliches

I bet a set of Ventures songs would go over quite well at old car shows and other places where retired boomers would be in the majority. Its fun music to hear, and it takes you right back there in a heartbeat.

Fun listen Mario! Thanks!

#208546 - 07/04/13 10:27 AM [User Showcase] Re: Surfing in NY [Re: MarioD]
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi Mario,

"I tried to make this sound like a live recording."
Mission accomplished. But recording techniques have changed since then. It would be good for the song not to use so much reverb over all.
I liked it though. That shows how old I am.

Guenter

#208642 - 07/05/13 08:31 AM [User Showcase] Re: Surfing in NY [Re: MarioD]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Mario -

You captured the style/sound perfectly. And the "live vibe" you were after.

The energy builds through the song. (cool drums, too) Enjoyed it.

floyd

#208671 - 07/05/13 12:00 PM [User Showcase] Re: Surfing in NY [Re: MarioD]
Loc: South Africa
JoanneCooper Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Africa
Hi Mario
I enjoyed it and I think the reverb adds something to the whole atmosphere of the song.

#208686 - 07/05/13 01:41 PM [User Showcase] Re: Surfing in NY [Re: JoanneCooper]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Thanx all for listening and the very kind comments.

About the reverb, I tried to capture the sound of a live band playing in the mid 1960s, thus there is a lot of reverb. At least that is how I remembered it. Mr. Marr hit the nail right on the head when he said it sounded like a band playing in a high school gymnasium! In the early to mid 60s I played in a lot of high school gyms and that must be the sound I remembered from that era. We did play a lot of the current surf songs back then with full reverb on the guitars.

On a side note I played in area schools at just about every dance. Thus I never learned how to dance as I was always playing! This is something my wife still complains about!

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB and RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware

#208699 - 07/05/13 05:59 PM [User Showcase] Re: Surfing in NY [Re: MarioD]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: MarioD
Thanx all for listening and the very kind comments.

About the reverb, I tried to capture the sound of a live band playing in the mid 1960s, thus there is a lot of reverb. At least that is how I remembered it. Mr. Marr hit the nail right on the head when he said it sounded like a band playing in a high school gymnasium! In the early to mid 60s I played in a lot of high school gyms and that must be the sound I remembered from that era. We did play a lot of the current surf songs back then with full reverb on the guitars.

On a side note I played in area schools at just about every dance. Thus I never learned how to dance as I was always playing! This is something my wife still complains about!

that's why I never learned to dance too! We must have lived parallel lives, Mario! The same vacations, the same kinds of gigs, the same taste in music...

Regarding the reverb, I understand exactly what you were trying to replicate, and it worked for me! I would have pursued the same goal in the same way.

#208711 - 07/05/13 07:20 PM [User Showcase] Re: Surfing in NY [Re: MarioD]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
I was there -- in high school during the early 60's. I was a surf music nut complete with bleached hair and a board. But then the Beatles changed all that....

The reverb was part of the scene from the amps to the halls it was reverb everywhere. this tune is super cool -- everything about it. And, hey, a band I worked with had a Farfisa along with about every local band we ran into. Paul Revere and the Raiders sure sold a lot of those!

Great production, picking and summer time vibe. Thanks!

#208722 - 07/05/13 08:41 PM [User Showcase] Re: Surfing in NY [Re: Janice & Bud]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Thanx Janice and/or Bud for the extremely kind review!

#208723 - 07/05/13 08:45 PM [User Showcase] Re: Surfing in NY [Re: Pat Marr]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Pat, if DannyC, my twin from another mother forum member who is so like me or maybe I’m so like him-don’t know which way it is, comes in and says the same thing then we may be triplets from different mothers!

#208731 - 07/05/13 09:47 PM [User Showcase] Re: Surfing in NY [Re: MarioD]
Loc: Gulf Coast
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Loc: Gulf Coast
Great and cool drums too.

#208751 - 07/06/13 03:44 AM [User Showcase] Re: Surfing in NY [Re: MarioD]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hey Mario,

From the first note, I felt like I'd stepped into a time machine. You've captured so many of the musical motifs of the era that 60s memorabilia swam around inside my head. I think that that means that your song did its job remarkably well.

Loved it!

Regards,
Noel

PG Music News
Fun with Band-in-a-Box® - A Reunion Event: "Life Is Hard"

Getting together and playing music and writing songs is a wonderful way to spend some free time!

Recently, a few of our Forum members did just that... and they made a video to prove it!

Check out what Charlie Fogle, Eddie, Herb, Pat Marr, David Snyder got up to - and how they did it: Fun with Band-in-a-Box® - A Reunion Event: "Life Is Hard"

...hopefully it inspires you to keep the fun in making music!

How to: Replace a RealTrack with a MIDI Track in Band-in-a-Box®

Starting with a RealStyle in Band-in-a-Box®, and want to make one of your tracks a MIDI track? See how this is done using the MIDI Track Picker dialog with our video How to Replace a RealTrack with a MIDI Track in Band-in-a-Box®.

Want to see a quick video tutorial that's not on our Tips & Tricks list? You can post your request to our I want a video that shows me how to .... forum.

Band-in-a-Box® Tuba RealTracks

Today (May 6) is International Tuba Day!

Celebrate your love for the Tuba today - add one of our Tuba RealTracks (available in Sets 143, 162, and 248) played by either Brad Muirhead or Philip Santner.

Already have a Band-in-a-Box® song with a Tuba? Share it here!

How to: Search for RealTracks in Band-in-a-Box®

Looking for a specific RealTrack for your song? See how easy it is to search by keyword or file name when you watch our latest video, How to Search for RealTracks in Band-in-a-Box®.

Want to see a quick video tutorial that's not on our Tips & Tricks list? You can post your request to our I want a video that shows me how to .... forum.

Update Your Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows Today!

Using Band-in-a-Box 2022 for Windows? Great news! We've released a free update that enhances many of the MIDI features and Drum Stems tracks, updates the program manual and documentation, and resolves a few user reported issues.

This free update includes additional enhancements to the DAW Plugin, and updates it to version 4.5.33.

Make sure you download this free update today!

Learn more...

How to: Capturing and Adding a Screenshot to the PG Music Forums

The PG Music Forums is packed with an incredibly active community, always happy to discuss and share Band-in-a-Box tips, help with any questions other users have, and of course share their songs!

Want to know how to add a screenshot to your forum post? Follow the steps in our helpful video tutorial.

Band-in-a-Box® Utility Tracks User Tip

#TipTuesday

Utility Tracks were added to Band-in-a-Box® with version 2021. With this feature, there are now 16 editable Utility tracks in Band-in-a-Box®, which can be used for audio and/or MIDI! Generate RealTracks, RealDrums, MIDI tracks, and you can even record or import existing Audio or MIDI files to these tracks!

See how forum user justanoldmuso utilizes this feature to streamline their workflow with their recent post, Side benefit of biab added utility tracks.

Forum Stats
36036 Members
64 Forums
74386 Topics
652721 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
revnev, ColleenLindsey, robertjohn5814, crm88, AgataJohnson

36036 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
AudioTrack 135
MarioD 126