You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#208892 - 07/07/13 01:24 PM [User Showcase] Tissue Paper Child Part Two - The Rock Ballad
Loc: York, England
ROG Offline
Veteran

Some time ago Joanne Cooper (Jo131) contacted me to see if I could turn one of her folk songs into something more commercial, like a rock ballad. Well, I've been at this game too long to be scared off by the word "commercial" so I readily agreed and we eventually settled on her most recent post. If you missed it, here's a link to the original track -

Tissue Paper Child - The Original

Joanne sent us the wav file of the vocal from the original song and bravely gave us a free hand from there on. This is what we did -

Tissue Paper Child - The Rock Ballad

Credit must go to -

Lead vocal - Joanne Cooper.
Backing vocals - Jessie Lush, Courtney Ward and Josh Kenyon.
Guitars - Beth Thomas and Roger Jackson.
Bass - Alex Richards.
Keyboards - Roger Jackson.

Many thanks to Joanne for having the courage to set us loose on this one - we certainly had a lot of fun.

ROG.

#208894 - 07/07/13 01:51 PM [User Showcase] Re: Tissue Paper Child Part Two - The Rock Ballad [Re: ROG]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
I liked this song when Jo first posted it, and commented favorably on it at that time. But it was a very intuitive move on her part to offer you the opportunity to develop the idea in a new direction.

Whereas I really liked the original idea, this manifestation of it really shines! You've orchestrated her original idea with the professional backing it screamed for all along.

Kudos to all involved in the project! Great job all around!

And Jo.. I'm so glad you abandoned the "aspiring" adjective in your self-description. This song is all anyone needs to see you as a full-fledged song writer!
RAM: 32 gigs
GPU: GTX-1080
HD: SSD boot drive, conventional HD for storage
AUDIO: Focusrite 18i20, 2i2, 2i4 on various machines

#208908 - 07/07/13 05:39 PM [User Showcase] Re: Tissue Paper Child Part Two - The Rock Ballad [Re: ROG]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
ROG, Joanne, (and "the kids")

This is SO VERY COOL. "the kids" are a great addition to this.
A nice production "wrapped around" the song. (The added lead was nice).

Nice.

floyd

#208915 - 07/07/13 06:41 PM [User Showcase] Re: Tissue Paper Child Part Two - The Rock Ballad [Re: ROG]
Loc: Kentucky
PgFantastic Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kentucky
Both versions are outstanding, the new version is definitely more dynamic. I felt like the original version fit the song better; it just seemed more personal. Can't go wrong either way. Thanks for sharing!

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.

#208921 - 07/07/13 06:52 PM [User Showcase] Re: Tissue Paper Child Part Two - The Rock Ballad [Re: ROG]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Guys,

This is truly ...

From the very first note of the intro, I knew that this song was going to be well worth the listening journey.

ROG: You've done a really superb job arranging and producing Josie's work. I could never have imagined that her song could sound like this. I bet she was over the moon when she first heard it! What you've put together shouts "PROFESSIONAL" <--- left, right and centre.

Josie: I have to say that I've never heard you sing better. I was totally blown away by your performance and its showcasing by ROG's arrangement and backing. Hope you're feeling incredibly proud of this song! You've done a great job.

Jessie, Courtney, Josh, Beth, Alex: You guys are amazing how you keep on coming up with the proverbial "goods". You're a very polished team of musicians.

Best regards to all,
Noel

#208951 - 07/07/13 09:08 PM [User Showcase] Re: Tissue Paper Child Part Two - The Rock Ballad [Re: ROG]
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi Joanne and Rog,

like Pat said: Kudos to all involved in the project! Great job all around!

Guenter

#208962 - 07/07/13 09:35 PM [User Showcase] Re: Tissue Paper Child Part Two - The Rock Ballad [Re: ROG]
joden Offline
Journeyman

Yeah +1 both versions are great, my preference is for the "unplugged" one though. Sorry ROG, great arrangement though smile

Dennis

#208989 - 07/08/13 01:02 AM [User Showcase] Re: Tissue Paper Child Part Two - The Rock Ballad [Re: ROG]
Loc: wales
gibson Offline
Veteran

Loc: wales
I agree with Dennis (Joden)as I too prefer the 1st version myself as IMHO the title leans more to a "folk" ballad.
Nice solo tho'.

But all kudos to ROG and the gang for their trans-atlantic music making

Alyn

My story

#208993 - 07/08/13 02:25 AM [User Showcase] Re: Tissue Paper Child Part Two - The Rock Ballad [Re: ROG]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

ROG,

I'll bet Joanne's feet haven't felt the ground since she heard this! My jaw dropped at the transformation.

Absolutely wonderful. I love what ya'll did with this song. The unplugged version is good but this is just beautiful - perfectly compliments Joanne's voice and makes her song sparkle with emotion.

Bravo! You and the kids get a standing O from me.

#209045 - 07/08/13 12:23 PM [User Showcase] Re: Tissue Paper Child Part Two - The Rock Ballad [Re: ROG]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Just wanted to add for Joanne, You, and the kids that I played this for my husband who's a former career radio guy and he was super impressed (not an easy thing to do with him when it comes to music. LOL). He says "sounds like a hit" and "as good as Judy Collins" he thinks the arrangement sounds totally pro and if he was still on the air would play it. smile

#209048 - 07/08/13 12:37 PM [User Showcase] Re: Tissue Paper Child Part Two - The Rock Ballad [Re: ROG]
Loc: South Africa
JoanneCooper Online   content
Veteran

Loc: South Africa
Hi All

What an absolutely fantastic job Roger and his team did on this song. I was completely blown away when Roger sent me the song yesterday afternoon. He did all of this with just a wave file of my vocal! Incidentally it was the same vocal as I used for my version so Roger worked his magic on this too.

Pat, Guenter, Floyd, Robert, Josie, Dennis and Alyn. Thanks for the comments and for listening. Floyd, thanks again for your input on the lyrics. Noel - LOVE the pic!

Josie, thanks for pitching back with your husbands comments. I agree that it is an absolutely professional job on the arrangement. Glad you both liked the song in general.

Best regards

#209083 - 07/08/13 06:08 PM [User Showcase] Re: Tissue Paper Child Part Two - The Rock Ballad [Re: ROG]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
What they all said. I really enjoyed both and appreciated the opportunity to hear two disparate interpretations. And building that around just a vocal file is an impressive piece of arranging and production!

#209120 - 07/09/13 08:06 AM [User Showcase] Re: Tissue Paper Child Part Two - The Rock Ballad [Re: ROG]
ROG Offline
Veteran

Whoa! I'm overwhelmed!

Thanks to everyone who took the time to give it listen and for all the really nice things that have been said. Special thanks to Joanne for providing the excellent song and lead vox and for having enough confidence in us to give us a free hand.

Thanks also to everyone from "The Team" who never tire of people telling them how good they are! I'm just so lucky to be able to work with them.

ROG.

#209174 - 07/09/13 10:16 PM [User Showcase] Re: Tissue Paper Child Part Two - The Rock Ballad [Re: Sundance]
Loc: USA
Danny C. Offline
Veteran

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Sundance
ROG,

I'll bet Joanne's feet haven't felt the ground since she heard this! My jaw dropped at the transformation.

Absolutely wonderful. I love what ya'll did with this song. The unplugged version is good but this is just beautiful - perfectly compliments Joanne's voice and makes her song sparkle with emotion.

Bravo! You and the kids get a standing O from me.

Big +1

Kudos to all, but Jo you sound super girl!

I love it!

Great production Rog!

Later,

The More You Drink The Better I Sound

#209191 - 07/10/13 07:59 AM [User Showcase] Re: Tissue Paper Child Part Two - The Rock Ballad [Re: ROG]
Blorg Offline

Wow, so cool to hear two such different versions of one song!

Love both of them!!

#209226 - 07/10/13 05:44 PM [User Showcase] Re: Tissue Paper Child Part Two - The Rock Ballad [Re: ROG]
gruverider Offline
Expert

you have brought the joy of making music to a wonderful song. I enjoyed listening

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® Resource: Installing Your RealTracks

Properly installing your RealTracks and setting up the directory should be done before you try to create a song with Band-in-a-Box®.

During the setup process, make sure you note the location you've installed these to when you're looking at the "Select Destination Location" window (typically this is your C:\bb folder). Then, when you're in Band-in-a-Box, visit the RealTracks Preferences (settings) window and double check the "Custom RealTracks folder" location to confirm it's the same as your installed location. If not, simply place a checkmark next to "Use a customer folder location..." and update the path.

The next time you open the RealTracks Picker, choose [Rebuild and Fix] button, and you'll see the entire list of your installed RealTracks... don't forget to [Rebuild] your StylePicker too!

Note: the same steps apply to the RealDrums.

The Band-in-a-Box® 2021 49-PAK for Windows!

Don't forget to boost your Band-in-a-Box® purchase with the 2021 49-PAK for only $49!

What will you get when you add the 2021 49-PAK to your Band-in-a-Box® 2021 order?
-40 Bonus Unreleased RealTracks
-Instrumental Studies 14: Country Rock Blues Shuffle Soloing
-Look Ma! More MIDI 6
-MIDI SuperTracks Set 33: More Bass
-14 Bonus RealDrums "Singles"
-Artist Performance Set 10: More Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly
-MultiStyles PAK 1
-"Rediscovered" RealTracks Styles
-Instrumental Studies 15: Minor Jazz Blues Guitar Soloing
-Look Ma! More MIDI 5
-MIDI SuperTracks Set 32: Jazz, New Age and Gospel Keys
-RealCharts for all existing and new RealDrums

The 2021 49-PAK is now included in the 2021 UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition!

Watch the video summarizing the 2021-49PAK.

Visit the product page.

Band-in-a-Box® Resource: Downloading Your Purchase

Did you know... when you order your copy of Band-in-a-Box® from our website you will receive the installation files to download your order, even if you're having it shipped!

You can access these files within the My Products section of your online account.

Downloading the program is such a convenient way to get started with Band-in-a-Box®! To learn more about how to download your purchase, please review the written tutorials we've created for Windows and Mac.

RealBand 2021 Includes 64-bit PG DX Plugins Presets!

Download the latest update for RealBand 2021 to addpresets for 64-bit PG DX plugins!

Release notes (build 3c, Jan 7 2021):
-Fixed: Running 32-bit realband.exe (Version 2020) is now supported.
-Added: Presets for 64-bit PG DX plugins.

The Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows® Special ENDS January 15th!

IT'S YOUR LAST WEEKEND TO SAVE UP TO 50% ON YOUR BAND-IN-A-BOX® UPGRADE!

We've extended our SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Upgrade purchases until January 15, 2021, so there is still a little time left to save up to 50% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows Upgrade!

Customers LOVE Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows with over 50 new features, plus the 202 RealTracks, new RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, Artist Performances, Bonus RealDrums "Singles," RealDrums transcriptions, MultiStyles PAK 1, Xtra Styles PAK 10, the 2021 Free Bonus PAK, and 2021 49-PAK!

We've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Windows 2021 packages, but for more even more Add-ons (including 40 Unreleased RealTracks) upgrade it to the 2021 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available.

Learn more about all the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows

If you need any help deciding which package is the best option for you, just let us know. We are here to help!

Xtra Styles PAK 10 & MultiStyles PAK 1 - Special Extended to January 15th!

NEW Add-ons for Band-in-a-Box® 2020 - and we've extended our Xtra Styles PAK and MultiStyles PAK Special until January 15th!

Xtra Styles PAK 10 with 50 styles each for Country, Jazz, Rock-Pop, and Folk Celebration! These carefully crafted RealStyles include lo-fi acoustic guitar hip hop, triple-guitar garage rock, a barbeque boom-chick jam, slidin' lazy country blues, bolero and bossa nova fusion, a Gypsy and stride ballad, praise break organ jazz fusion, surfin' folk rock, barn dance old-time stomp 'n' clap, an acoustic folky blues jam, and so much more!

Introducing MultiStyles PAK 1! 30 MultiStyles containing 120 styles - that's a total of 150 Styles! We've included 10 MultiStyles each for Country, Jazz, and Rock-Pop. Our jazz greats MultiStyle allows you to switch between piano and guitar comping, or select from two different solos. Our Jamaican groove selecta allows you to switch from ska at one section to reggae, island groove, or reggae with sax solo at another. A Tex-Mex country MultiStyle allows you to switch between a regular-time and double-time feel. And that's just the beginning. There's so much more in store! Once you dive into these professionally-mixed MultiStyles, you'll wonder how you ever made due with only two substyles per song! Use one substyle for a softer intro, another one for a restrained breakdown, then throw in a different and energetic middle-eight, or change it up with a solo. The possibilities are endless!

And they're ON SALE until January 15th!

Xtra Styles PAK 10, and ALL our Xtra Styles PAKs, are on sale for $29 (reg. $49) each! Haven't purchased Xtra Styles yet, but now you want them all? The COMPLETE collection of Xtra Styles PAKs 1-10 with over 1,600 RealStyles can be yours for only $199 (reg. $349)! There's also an option to purchase the newest Xtra Styles PAKs 9 & 10 for Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for a bundle price of $49, if you missed out on our previous special! www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?os=mac

Purchase MultiStyles PAK 1 for only $19 (reg. $29)!

Windows user? Click here for your OS specific product announcement.

Update Your Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows Today!

We've updated our Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Windows version to address a few user-reported program issues and requests. Band-in-a-Box® 2021 users can update for free here.

Have you been using your Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows purchase and not applied any patch updates yet? Make sure you download the latest free patch update to access some great Bonus "Half-time" and "Double-time" RealStyles!

Total of new styles is:
-111 new RealStyles
-80 new RealTracks variations.
-27 new RealDrums variations.

This includes:
-variations of existing 16th-based bluegrass.
-variations of existing celtic and train beat styles.
-new styles with both 8th-based and 16th variations.
-16th-based samba variations.

Forum Stats
33751 Members
67 Forums
67776 Topics
580308 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
smiths299, daveburgess, BRI, Randy Akl, DRM5303

33750 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 274