Options
Index
#210798 - 07/30/13 06:22 AM [User Showcase] New Production: "Never Again"
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Hi people,

Once again, I've been playing around with some of my earlier mixes and seeing if I can add a little extra pizzazz to their production. I don't know how successful I am but I'm really enjoying revisiting some of these prior works. It's fun! It's also quite eye-opening and, in some cases, downright embarrassing!!!

Anyway ...

"Never Again" is a song Brenda and I wrote couple of years ago. It's a jazz waltz and features some Oliver Gannon Realtracks. The song's structure is the standard AABA form.

Please feel free to comment on any aspect of the song, arrangement, mix, production. Brenda and I appreciate all feedback.

Regards,
Noel and Brenda

BIAB INFORMATION
Bass: RT 926
Guitar: RT 932 (Oliver Gannon - rhythm)
Guitar: RT 1090 (Oliver Gannon - solo)
Piano: RT 934
Drums: RD Jazz Brushes Waltz

LYRICS
© 2013 by Noel Adams & Brenda Smith

[A]
Never again
Will I walk this road
It's a one way street
There's only one way to go

[A]
Never again
Will I see this day
When the sun finally sets
And all the light fades away

[B]
This journey through life
It's like I drift down a stream
Days come and go
On a river of dreams

[A]
Never again
Will I wander through this where and when
No never again

[Instrumental]

[B] (repeat)
This journey through life
It's like I drift down a stream
Days come and go
On a river of dreams

[A] (repeat, plus tag)
Never again
Will I wander through this where and when
No never, no never can this here and now come again
Never again

Edited by Noel96 (07/31/13 06:21 AM)

#210799 - 07/30/13 07:04 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Production: "Never Again" [Re: Noel96]
Loc: York, England
ROG Offline
Veteran

Loc: York, England
Hi Noel.

Makes a change for me to get in first!

What a wonderful song. Once again, a very 1930s feel to it and very authentic too.

My first impression was how pleasant and relaxing it was, but as I listened to the lyrics unfold, I found it extremely thought provoking and then quite melancholy.

It almost goes without saying that the vocals, production and mix were, as usual, excellent.

ROG.

#210811 - 07/30/13 09:28 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Production: "Never Again" [Re: Noel96]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Noel (and Brenda)...

Smooth, cool, easy... like a lazy flowing stream. So, Noel... do you walk around your house with a top hat and cane? And wear tails at dinner? Picturing that... You ol' crooner, you...

Your mixes are always spot on. Hardly need to mention it anymore...

Here's a "JMO" on this one... The guitar solo doesn't "do it" for me. It seems too "sharp edged" (staccato, maybe). I wanted it to be a lot smoother - cool jazzier... I listened several times to see if it would "grow on me".. it did not. No doubt there will be others who love it... it's music, after all..

The video is very cool. I watched it the first time, but not the others - preferring to just listen without the visual distraction... again, just my preference.

floyd

#210814 - 07/30/13 09:46 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Production: "Never Again" [Re: Noel96]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Nice job Noel and Brenda!

Rog's observations are keener than mine, so we'll go with his.

While I really liked the hot air balloon footage, it created a bit of cognitive dissonance when the song was creating visons of floating down a river

If you ever want some video of floating down a river, search youtube for HARPERS FERRY TUBING

I'd really like to see you and Brenda develop a new song that specifically plays off the spectacular graphics in the balloon video. It would be interesting to see how you customized a song to work with that particular bit of eye candy.

Lest I come across as a malcontent, I want to end by saying that this song and video make an awesome package with no changes! I stand in awe of your song writing

#210823 - 07/30/13 11:13 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Production: "Never Again" [Re: Noel96]
Loc: 80 Mi North of Sacramento CA
seeker Offline
Veteran

Loc: 80 Mi North of Sacramento CA
Noel & Brenda,

Enjoyed the video and music so much. Your friends video was so nice.
+1 to the comments above.

The deer running into the trees......

Thanks for your hard work and sharing!

Down The Street vs2015 12-03-2014
Win7, AMD QuadA8-5500,16GB,2TeraHD, Komplete 10
PG Ultra Plus 2016,Alesis 12USB, Sonar Platinum

#210827 - 07/30/13 11:44 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Production: "Never Again" [Re: Noel96]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Hey Noel,

Beautiful video - loved the hot air balloon drifting over the country side and thought it fit the wistfulness of the song perfectly.

No nits from me. Enjoyed everything about it - song, arrangement, mix, video.

Well done.

#210832 - 07/30/13 12:15 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Production: "Never Again" [Re: Sundance]
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi Noel,
Originally Posted By: Sundance
No nits from me. Enjoyed everything about it - song, arrangement, mix, video.
Well done.

+1

Guenter

#210914 - 07/31/13 08:14 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Production: "Never Again" [Re: ROG]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Hi ROG,

Thanks for dropping in! I really appreciate your thoughts on the journey you took through the song. It's helped me gain and insight that I didn't have. And thanks, too, for the feedback. Mixing always challenges me and it's good to know that it worked!

Also ... I have to hand it to you. After listening to James' recent song, I found myself once again thinking that you're doing some pretty terrific stuff with you're students. They're lucky to have you mentoring them!

I look forward to hearing more from your studio smile
Noel

#210915 - 07/31/13 08:25 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Production: "Never Again" [Re: Noel96]
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Great job Noel and Brenda
BIAB&RB2019(Audiophile),Win-10Pro, SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Act. Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#210948 - 07/31/13 01:48 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Production: "Never Again" [Re: Noel96]
Loc: Maryland
SpaceDog Offline
Expert

Loc: Maryland
Noel, Brenda,
Like they said. I really enjoyed it. The mix is really crisp. Well done!
I'm curious about the leadsheet since I always do leadsheets, tabs, and full notation for my songs. Was this leadsheet done in BB or some other program?
SD

#211070 - 08/01/13 04:49 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Production: "Never Again" [Re: Noel96]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
Noel, we really enjoyed this one. Like Floyd I was struck with the cane and top hat imagery...guess it's all the old flicks Janice and I watch. We'll watch the video later. I really like to form my own imagery first although there were some spoilers in the thread! smile

And whether we admit or warm up to the thought life is a bit of a one way street isn't it?

Thanks!

Check out our BiaB SoundCloud songs!
J&B YouTube Sampler
J&B Website
Our album "All Over The Map" is on Apple Music, Spotify and others.

#211134 - 08/02/13 12:13 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Production: "Never Again" [Re: floyd jane]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Hi Floyd,

Ahhhh.... top hat and tails. Now that got me laughing again! I can't even imagine what I'd look like dressed up to that level of sophistication! LOL!

Glad you like the song. I hear where you're coming from with the solo because I recall feeling something similar when I first put this song together a couple of years ago. The 3/4 time signature restricted my options then. I've grown used to these tracks now, though. Oliver Gannon's playing is pure class in my book.

That being said, you've got me thinking that I should have a look around and see what else is on the menu these days.

Once again, "Thank you"
Noel

#211135 - 08/02/13 12:19 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Production: "Never Again" [Re: Pat Marr]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Hi Pat,

Thank you for taking time to listen and write a few comments smile

I hear where you're coming from regarding video. I tossed and turned with exactly the same thoughts. In the end, the balloon really captured my imagination. I think that's why I stayed with it. It was really good of Dave to let me use his video, too.

Thank you for passing on Harpers Ferry Tubing as a possibility. I'm going over to Youtube right now to discover what it's all about.

All the best,
Noel

#211136 - 08/02/13 12:20 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Production: "Never Again" [Re: seeker]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Hi Frank!

Great to see you smile

Oh.... you noticed the deer. I have to say that that really caught my eye too.

Thank you for the "thumbs up" kinda feedback!

All the best,
Noel

#211137 - 08/02/13 12:23 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Production: "Never Again" [Re: Sundance]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Hi Josie,

It's always good to see you appear in a thread. I get an instant smile smile

Thank you for taking time to listen and to comment. Appreciate it.

Best wishes,
Noel

P.S. Hope your video making is going well. It's lots of fun, hey! I love it.

#211180 - 08/02/13 09:25 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Production: "Never Again" [Re: Noel96]
Loc: Mississippi Gulf Coast
Danny C. Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mississippi Gulf Coast
Such a smooth and happy feeling you get when you listen to this song.

Noel not sure if I mentioned this before but your voice is very easy and friendly on the ear.

Great job!

Later,

The More You Drink The Better I Sound

#211204 - 08/03/13 10:01 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Production: "Never Again" [Re: Noel96]
gruverider Offline
Expert

sweet ride! I just love upright bass and you have mixed it very well

#211384 - 08/05/13 05:51 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Production: "Never Again" [Re: Noel96]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Dear all,

I write to apologise. I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get back to replying to posts. Unfortunately, 'life' has kept me on my toes for these last few weeks! Hopefully it will settle soon.

One thing I've learnt from not being able to be part of the forum for a while is that I really do miss it!

All the best,
Noel

Edited by Noel96 (08/05/13 08:04 AM)

#211385 - 08/05/13 05:55 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Production: "Never Again" [Re: boehm]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Hi Guenter,

Thank you smile

Hope your composing is zooming along nicely. Have you ever done anything with Mozart? Rondo Alla Turca, Sonata in C K545, Sonata in A K331, Symphony 40, etc, etc smile

I bet you could make Mozart sing!

All the best,
Noel

#211386 - 08/05/13 05:56 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Production: "Never Again" [Re: VideoTrack]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Hi VideoTrack,

Thank you for dropping by, having a listen and taking time to comment. Appreciate it!

All the best,
Noel

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Notation Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows was released in December 2018, and included many new features and enhancements - like the enhancements we made to our Notation window!

These include:
-Pressing the space bar plays the song from the current location.
-Double-clicking on the Standard mode Notation window (or on the time line in Editable or Staff Roll mode) plays the song from the current time location.
-The right-click menu in the Editable or Staff Roll mode Notation window has an option to change the current beat resolution. Previously, the only way to do this was to right-click on the time line.
-Clicking close to a stave line will put a note on the stave line instead of between stave lines. Previously, you had to click extremely close to a stave line to insert a note on it.
-In the Notation Windows Options dialog, the clefs split point asterisk indicates that C5* is middle C.
-The clefs split point can be set by the spin controls.
-You can quickly enter forced accidentals from the right-click menu.
-A new track type (Drums) is available for the Melody and Soloist tracks.
-Holding down the Ctrl key and pressing the zoom in/out buttons results in finest possible incremental adjustment in size.
-There's a keystroke entry mode -the "N" mode, which lets you enter a melody entirely using keystrokes. The keystrokes are N to enter a note, up/down cursor to change its pitch, and left/right cursor to move the time line.
-A new button in the Print Options dialog lets you quickly print a "chords only" fake sheet. You can also access this from the right-click menu on the Chord Sheet.
-You can now edit any track in the Event List Editor. When the dialog opens, it will show you the MIDI data in the current notation track.

There's detailed information on our 2019 notation enhancements here: Band-in-a-Box® 2019 New Feature - Notation Enhancements

Jump to the Notation topic in our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 new features video.

Band-in-a-Box® Drum Features!

Today is National Drummer Day!
(not to be confused with National Hug a Drummer Day, which is October 10th)

Band-in-a-Box® is a great resource for drummers! Practice with an on-demand back-up band, learn from the Pro's with RealDrums notation (RealCharts, new with version 2019), MIDI drums notation, or play in the Drum Kit Window!

Not a drummer? Add drums to your Band-in-a-Box® project with RealDrums! Whether you're looking for Bluegrass, Blues, Bossa, Country, Dance, Dixieland, Folk, Funk, HipHop, Jazz, Latin, Metal, Pop, RnB, Rock, Soul, Techno, Traditional, Waltz, or World (and variations within) - you'll definitely find what you're looking for in our RealDrums library - there are over 500 available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac Build 315 Update Available!

Attention Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac users - a new FREE patch update (build 315) is available!
Review details and download here

Summary of changes for build 315 (Nov 15, 2019):

Fixed: Exporting MusicXML files was not working.
Fixed: When using "Auto-Hand split Piano track" feature, exported MIDI files contain wrong note durations on the Piano track.
Fixed: Note-based lyrics were not included when exporting MIDI files.
Fixed: User should be prompted to save their song when exiting, if they had added or removed plugins.
Fixed: The Record Audio dialog always says “Track type is Stereo” even if the track type is mono.
Fixed: The [Audio Options…] button in the Record Audio dialog was launching the Audio Devices dialog instead of the Audio Settings dialog.
Fixed: Loops dialog title bar displays wrong track name.
Fixed: Large patch map files are not completely loaded (were limited to 1985 patches).
Fixed: Notation context menu > Edit Section Text… did not do anything.
Fixed: Notation context menu > Insert Section Text… did not do anything.

My Favorite Things - Nudge Chords in Band-in-a-Box®

Love this time saving feature.

Ever fill in the chordsheet fully or for part of song, and then discover you want to add or take away an extra beat or more somewhere in the chordsheet.

Nudge chords (melody) from the Edit Menu is your friend here, the dialog will give you all the options either to remove or add beats where its needed.

Love it.
-musiclover

To learn more about this feature, read the "Advanced Chord Entry and Editing Features" topic when you click here.

Band-in-a-Box® Video Testimonial & Demo - Rodney Gene Junior

Band-in-a-Box® endorsing artist Rodney Gene Junior has shared his latest User Testimonial and Demo with us, and we LOVE it! Not only does Rodney share with the viewer his enthusiasm for our program, he also shares a few examples of how he uses Band-in-a-Box® too - make sure you check it out!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Testimonial Video - Peter Torpey

Check out our latest Band-in-a-Box video testimonial, which takes using the program to a whole new level! Peter Torpey is a long time program user who has developed a way to work with the program, even though he's visually impaired - and he wants to make sure that others can too!
Click here to watch!

Learn more about Peter here.

View all our video testimonials here.

Want to make your own Testimonial? We'd love to see it! There's information on our Video Testimonials offer here.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac Upgrade & Full Manuals Available!
Forum Stats
30426 Members
62 Forums
60674 Topics
513431 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
JediMercer, Ignacio_Jazz, DIPS, jpdraca, nhappy

30426 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 196
Noel96 174