Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
When Frankp posted his fabulous take on Latin Jazz it reminded me of the scandal that occurred a few years ago when the Grammy people removed Latin Jazz as an award category.

Read all about it: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_bl...hers-added.html

My reaction was the same as, say, Carlos Santana's (see article, above) as well as this:

Style: LJAZCHA-Jazz-cha-cha (Salsa)
RealBass 921
RT473 bass solo
RT1220 vibes
RT1661 rhythm piano
RT1245 solo piano
RD Salsa-Merangue
RD MamboPerc^

Crummy voice: Aleck Rand
Guitar solo:........."......"
The composer, Zeus: aka Duke Ellington

DO NOTHIN' 'TILL YOU HEAR FROM ME https://soundcloud.com/aleckrand/do-nothin-till-you-hear-from

Here's a little quiz action: The song ends with a direct quote another classic by the Duke. Who can identify that song?

Last edited by aleck rand; 12/19/13 04:20 PM. Reason: Matt, give some folks a chance before you jump

Sweetwater Creation Station. BIAB 2018, Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio, Izotope Nektar 2, Ozone 8, KEYBOARDS: Kurzweil Artis 7, Crumar MOJO, Hammond XK-3, BASSES (fretted & fretless by Ibanez, LTD, Warwick. GUITARS by Guild, Gretsch, Ibanez, Eastwood (12 string)
User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Boy, you got that right Dean. I've worked with some of the musicians most burned by that decision.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Cool song. Thought the singing was well done. Guitar work was also very cool...

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Expert
Online Content
Expert
Sorry, but I did it anyway. Cool version. Thanks Aleck.

Mike B.

Music should be part of your life
http://www.soundclick.com/blackcatjazzcafeband
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
cool tune. Loved the octave guitar.... your voice fits this style nicely.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.

You can make excuses or you can make progress but you can't do both.
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Matt, I could tell you some stories too. Incidentally, I edited the post and your name is in the fine print at the bottom. Check it out.

Dean

User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Thanks. This song takes me back as far as I go with any music.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Great work Alex, nice and tasty, (just like all jazz should be)

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, SynthogyIvory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer ActiveMonitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
Dean, you've got me blushing.

Great job I'm digging that track.

Embarrassed to say I don't recognize the quote.

Last edited by Frankp; 12/19/13 06:02 PM.

Frank

Some tunes from me and my collaborator: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvGqM6ktMW5ltTnyit1KWPg/videos

Band-in-a-Box Ultrapak 2019, Windows 11, Reaper, Behringer u-phoria UMC404HD, Kali LP-8
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Dean -

Cool! Nicely done version. Nice guitar...

A few of your vocal phrases reminded me of Waits doing "Somewhere"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5evDUOVYuI

You should do more like this - the latin thing works for ya!...

floyd

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Dean
back home now for Christmas, so catching up.
Loved the "gravel-voice" vocals and the guitar solo too.
Excellent piece but as I'm not a Jazzer I can't ID the quote - sorry.
However, its brill work as always.
Merry Christmas
Ian

Old Guys Rule.The older I get,the better I was!
BB2023 ULTRA, 1013, Win 7 and 10

ALL TRACKS - https://app.box.com/s/501rnzrbadng1elvi45hbf7y08kl5oxp
SOUNDCLOUD-tracks using BB-
http://soundcloud.com/sixchannel
Videos-
https://youtube.com/user/Sixchannel1
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Dean, You sure do have a handle on this style. Perfect fit for your vocals and guitar playing. The more I hear your soulful voice the better I like it. I think I feel something itching-you're growing on me. Tom

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Frank,

Were it not for you, I wouldn't have done this one, that's how terrific I thought your Latin original was.

As far as the quote goes, there's a pro in the Forum(s) with atomic ears. He'll do it if it turns out no one else can. To give you an example, I once posted a version of the theme to the "I Love Lucy" TV show slowed waaaaay down to a ballad with all kinds of cool substitutions and posted it along with a quiz question to "name that tune." I was certain that no one would see through the disguise, but this dude got it in less than a minute.

The Forum needs more jazz of all kinds, Latin, hard bop, old bop. smooth, you name it. I hope you'll give us some more soon.

Dean Clark (aka Aleck Rand)

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hey Tommy,

The feeling's mutual. The more I listen to your stuff, the more I appreciate the originality of your voice. If fits into your songs like a hand into a perfectly crafted glove.

Dean

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Ian,

I can always count on your diplomatic finesse to spin my voice to "gravel" from "crummy." I'll take that compliment any day, my friend.

As far as the quote goes, believe me, there are plenty of Jazzers who won't get it either. You really have to know the music of Duke Ellington quite well to even have a chance.

And, of course, thanks for your kind words.

Dean

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hey Floyd,

As my main tipster on the Forum, you've always got my attention and respect.

I listened to the Tom Waits song and was really gripped by the thing. It seems like he can turn that voice from a grizzly bear into a pussy cat whenever he wants, as in several instances of the word "somewhere."

He doesn't land dead center on every pitch they way you do, but he's as original as they come. Three notes, you know it's him.

Dean

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Dean,

great vocals and guitar. Nice arrangement.
Now it's time to put us out of our misery and
resolve the quiz.
Merry Christmas.

Guenter

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
OK Guenter,

I'll get in touch with the guy with the atomic ears and he'll tell us all.

Dean

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Dean ! I enjoyed this tune very much !
and your solos are as good as ever !:))

Cheers
Dani

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thank you Dani,

And have fun in the spas of Estonia.

Estonia, Latvia, Lituania - these are all dark, mysterious places to me, but speaking of mystery I don't know if you follow the new wave of Scandinavian mystery writers, but the Nordic king of this genre, Henning Mankell (Sweden), wrote a terrific story called The Dogs of Riga. The BBC turned it into a mini-series starring the British actor Kenneth Branagh. Totally fantastic.

All I can say is, be wary of the police.

Dean

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,304
Posts731,333
Members38,410
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
DJ Jazzy Jimbob, PatSar63, danidatoad, resower, Nicholas -PG Music
38,410 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 213