Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#231467 12/29/13 11:21 AM
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Having bought a bunch of extras to enhance my songs I wonder if there is such a thing as Orchestral Strings software where you could create some strings arrangements? There are some packages out there but they seem you to require a keyboard which I don't? Does such a thing exist?

Paul

J
Veteran
Veteran
J
recently bought Garritan Personal Orchestra 4. you can enter songs without a keyboard but once I really get started using it I'll probably pick up something basic (and cheap!)

Veteran
Veteran
You can use the piano roll view or the staff view of your DAW and maybe BiaB, don’t know, and write your string parts. You can use whatever strings sounds you have now. This is a slow process but it works.

You can also have BiaB generate string parts and you can modify them in the PVR or staff view. I do this a lot using my DAW.

Over on this side of the pond you can buy a new or used keyboard with a MIDI out for $100 USD or less. These will not be velocity sensitive and/or may have small keys but they will work.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
BIAB is the best program I have found for generating string arrangements. As Mario said, they can be touched up in a variety of ways. I did just this a year ago, adapting my songs for a performance with the symphony orchestra.

Once you have the parts created and edited, then it is a different discussion about what to use to play them and create a recording.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran

Are you asking about writing the notes that the strings will play? If so, use the notes that created as the 'String" parts for the existing styles.

If you are asking how to get the tone that a string section creates, look in Sampletank under "Miroslav Sounds." Apply these sounds to the notes that the styles create, as above.

Also there are new Realtracks in v2014 that use actual members of the violin family. Look in the Reatracks picker under "String Quartet."

Flatfoot sez: Call me when 'Talent-in-a-Box' is ready to ship! -- [8{>

Got some tunes on You Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/flatfoot50
My BiaB lesson site:
http://jdwolfe0.wixsite.com/learnbiab
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
I'm looking for a product like BIAB & EZkeys where you put the chords in to generate the strings. I'm not aware that BIAB comes with orchestral strings although I did use a cello in my last song. I now have BIAB 2014 with the free strings but they are not the smooth orchestral strings I would like to add to my songs. Plus EZkeys don't have strings either with is strange considering it would be right up their street.

What I've seen on the internet in a few places is something like Hollywood quality orchestral strings that you can arrange into your own music but looking at the screenshots looks like you would 1.need to play piano 2. use a midi keyboard to play the arrangement before applying the strings sounds.

http://www.soundsonline.com/Symphonic-Orchestra

Last edited by PaulH; 12/30/13 04:05 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
I'm not aware of anything else that does what BB does...as far as entering chords and it plays....

There are some really fine string packages out there... look at the Native Instrument strings as well as the Garritan package..... both are fairly low cost but still sound good.

Unfortunately, unless you have a keyboard, mousing the notes into the song will be the only way. Look into BB to see if it will give you a midi track for a pad. You could then substitute a string sample and be halfway there.

Mousing takes a phenomenal amount of work and time. Although I must say, I heard a classical orchestral composition in the Sonar song forums several years back where the person posting the work claimed it was 100% entered by mouse into PRV. Even better, it had multiple tracks with the various orchestra instruments AND.... it was all done using nothing but TTS.

Pick up an inexpensive keyboard. I've seen them for sale at music stores for around $60 brand new. Playing string parts is mostly one note at a time, and generally whole notes..... so the string parts tend to be easy to play.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
This looks interesting:

NotePerformer

I use Arne Wallander's WIVI program with a wind controller. He is a genius!

I don't know how this could work with BIAB.

Veteran
Veteran
While it is true that BiaB does not have a feature called "Orchestral Strings," it does provide a number of ways to create string parts. For example, BiaB writes string parts for many of the included styles.

Have you tried all the ways that BiaB can create string parts?
In what way are they not what you want?

Please explain what you have tried, and what you want to do.

My BiaB lesson site:
Veteran
Veteran
Paul have you googled free orchestra midi files? There are a lot of free midi files of orchestras that you might find useful as a starting point for your music. Also google using a computer keyboard as a midi keyboard for information on this. I’m not sure if this will help but it may be what you can use.

Also again don’t overlook the fact that you can use BiaB generated string parts using better string sound sets. I have generated one string track and saved it to my DAW then I generated another string set and save that to my DAW. In my DAW I have raised or lowered octaves on selected notes or parts and/or changed parts to better fit the song. I have also written some additional parts, shorten or lengthen notes, change articulations etc.

You can do all this in the piano roll view. However for direct input you would need some kind of MIDI controller so be sure to check out the computer keyboard thing I mentioned if you can’t get a MIDI keyboard at this time.

Good luck and I hope this helped.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Hi Paul
Like Flatfoot says, are you looking for a way to create string sections with what is already delivered with BiaB, perhaps using your internal sound card, or are you looking for an external package (software or hardware synth) that BiaB can use to create 'quality sounding' Orchestral Strings?

There are several string sounds on an internal midi synth that 'sort-of' do the job. The product you referred to at sounds online will most probably give you far more realistic results, but may take a bit of input effort (I'm guessing those samples didn't just 'happen'). I don't know how compatible it is with BiaB, but note that it is dongle-protected software, so you also need to purchase an i-Lock if you don't already have one.

If this is the direction you are heading, make sure you take advice from Guitar Hacker and look at the Native Instrument strings as well as the Garritan package.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: flatfoot
If you are asking how to get the tone that a string section creates, look in Sampletank under "Miroslav Sounds." Apply these sounds to the notes that the styles create, as above...

Hi Flatfoot, Are the Miroslav sounds you mentioned part of Sampletank 2.5 that comes with BiaB or are these a separate add-on? I couldn't find that anywhere in my setup. Is there a special trick involved?
Thanks
Trevor

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
...Are the Miroslav sounds you mentioned part of Sampletank 2.5 that comes with BiaB or are these a separate add-on?

Its both. There are a few samples of what Miroslav can do in the Sampletank finder, listed as "Miroslav Philharmonik Sounds."

Do you see them?

If you like the samples, get the full program from IK multimedia. I beleive its less than 150US.

My BiaB lesson site:
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Sorry, I'm a little lost. The Sampletank finder?

Veteran
Veteran
BiaB 2013 and later come with a free version of Sampletank. When you have that installed, look for 'Miroslav Philharmonik Sounds.'

If you do not find them on your computer, go to IK multimedia and download "Sampletank FREE."

Here is the link:

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/sampletank/index.php?pp=sampletank-2-xl-versions

Last edited by flatfoot; 12/30/13 09:41 AM.

My BiaB lesson site:
Journeyman
Journeyman
Wallander NotePerformer (www.noteperformer.com) is indeed amazingly good but it only works with Sibelius 6 or 7 (also Sibelius First). Alas you cannot use the sounds outside of Sibelius. However it is a fantastic piece of software and you simply write your score into Sibelius and it NotePerformer plays it back really well. It reads all the subtleties of dynamics and switching strings to pizzicato from arco etc etc brilliantly and the more detail you write into the score the better it plays back. It sounds heaps better than the supplied Sibelius sounds to my ears.

Expert
Expert
PaulH
What kind of Strings arrangement do you want ? Open Strings, stopped Strings, Full Strings Orchestra, Quartet Strings Orchestra,...
Even if you get the best Strings sounds of the world, you will have to write serious Strings parts : take care of the instrument ranges, apply expressions changes via MIDI controller #11, add somme fills where it applies, ....
That is not for discouraging you, just to help you to define your project.

Reach for excellence
Veteran
Veteran
It's not that hard to create string parts in any program that supports piano roll notation.

The general rule is to move each note as little as possible. So if you've got a Cmaj7 going to an Fmaj7, first keep the common tones:

C -> C
E -> E
G ->
B ->

Then move to the remaining notes the shortest possible distance:

C -> C
E -> E
G -> F
B -> A

If you've got more than a stepwise movement, move to the target note in stepwise motion, making sure you arrive at the target chord on the beat. You'll need to do this now and then when the the notes creep up too far, and you have to move them down. Plus, it gives nice internal motion.

It doesn't take long to create string parts like this, and they sound pretty good. You can see an example of this here (skip past the first 60 seconds). In a lot of ways, it's easier to work from the piano notation than with music notation.

There are different ways you can use strings. If you're just after a pad, just about any string library will work - even the cheap ones - because the focus won't really be on the strings.

I've got a number of different string libraries, and they each have different purposes.

Session Strings is good for an intimate blended string sound. It's not that "big", but has a number of nice articulations. It runs under the Kontakt Player. I got it during one of the yearly half-price sales.

Miroslav Philharmonic is one of my favorite libraries for strings. It's got some lovely sounds, both solo and sections. I picked up the cut-down version during an sale, and upgraded to the full version.

Garritan Personal Orchestra is pretty affordable (used to be cheaper, grrr...) and has good string sections and solo instruments. It's an excellent library, especially since you get a full orchestra of other instruments along with it.

LA Scoring Strings First Chair is a solo strings library that runs in the Kontakt Player. I picked it up for the solo strings, but also to blend in with the string section for a more "detailed" sound. Typically, you might add a solo instrument to a string section sound.

Kirk Hunter Rock/Pop Strings is a good library with solo and string sections of various sizes, with a lot of articulations. I picked it up during a half-price sale. It's got nice sounds, but I find that I don't use it a lot.

Notice a theme here? Waiting for sales! wink

There are a lot of other libraries available. But I think GPO or Miroslav are both excellent choices, and fairly low cost. In particular, Miroslav has some really nice sectional sounds.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: flatfoot
BiaB 2013 and later come with a free version of Sampletank. When you have that installed, look for 'Miroslav Philharmonik Sounds.'

If you do not find them on your computer, go to IK multimedia and download "Sampletank FREE."

Here is the link:

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/sampletank/index.php?pp=sampletank-2-xl-versions

Hi Flatfoot, thanks

I already have Sampletank 2.5.5.b installed, and I have definitely already run the SampleTank Free Sounds Installer.

Do I presume that I find the Miroslav from the VSTi plug in?
From the track list drop-down menu, I choose "Select Midi Synth or audio plug In", and I see a list of Amplitube and Hi-Q SampleTank items, including Strings Ensemble Chamber and Movie, but no Miroslav.

I think my question is "how/where do I look for 'Miroslav Philharmonik Sounds.'"

I'm also interested in the word you used "The Sampletank finder". Is that a real product or something else?

Appreciate your help

Veteran
Veteran
>>>...I already have Sampletank 2.5.5.b installed, and I have definitely already run the SampleTank Free Sounds Installer...Do I presume that I find the Miroslav from the VSTi plug in?.,..>>>>

If you are saying that you have all the sounds that come with Sampletank 255, and yet you find no sounds lableled "Miroslav Philharmonik Sounds," then I have misspoken.

Now that I think about I am not sure how I got these particular sounds into my computer. They showed up somewhere in the propcess of starting with the BiB ST sounds and subsequently upping to ST 255. I have them in the main sampletank window, on the right, under the buttons that say "Delete" and 'Backup."

I will try again: Look in Sampletank, at the folder called "Band-in-a-Box." Then go to "Strings" and try "Chamber Strings" and "Movie Strings." Apply these sounds to the "String" parts created by BiaB.

Last edited by flatfoot; 12/30/13 05:58 PM.

My BiaB lesson site:
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,634
Posts735,255
Members38,521
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
SYOTR, Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy, vasilich, maxrob61
38,520 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 181