You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#233895 - 01/09/14 10:56 AM [User Showcase] In A World Without You
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

I think this is the first song I've released for the public to hear that came out of BB 2014.

This is a song written back in 2009 by 3 writers. Pat wrote the main idea, Dena reworked the lyrics a bit and I came in to the collaboration to work on the music. This makes the 4th remix (IIRC) and likely the last. The others were adult contemporary in nature but I do believe this song works best with country instrumentation.

In A World Without You

Tracks include:

Vocals: Dena (recorded in her studio)
Acoustic guitars: Herb Hartley (me)
Acoustic guitars: Tom Britt (RT)
Bass: Dow Tomlin (RT)
Drums: Brian Fullen (RT)
Piano: Miles Black (RT)
Steel Guitar: Steve Hinson (RT)
B3 Organ: Gene Rabbai (RT)
Strings: Avery Bright (RT)
Cello: Matt Nelson (RT)

We hope you enjoy the listen and comments are always welcome.

Pat, Herb, and Dena. At a restaurant just north of Nashville Tn.

Edited by Guitarhacker (01/09/14 11:42 AM)

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.

As the sword chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer.

#233928 - 01/09/14 01:42 PM [User Showcase] Re: In A World Without You [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: USA
Danny C. Offline
Veteran

Loc: USA
Herb,

Great job, I can already imagine hearing this one on the radio.

PS: Tell Dean she has another fan in South Louisiana!

Later,

The More You Drink The Better I Sound

#233938 - 01/09/14 02:08 PM [User Showcase] Re: In A World Without You [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Kentucky
PgFantastic Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kentucky
Beautiful work in all categories. Thanks for sharing!

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.

#233962 - 01/09/14 03:56 PM [User Showcase] Re: In A World Without You [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hi Herb,

I enjoyed the listen. Your production is super. Deana has a great voice and she showed terrific control singing the chorus. There are not a lot of places to breathe comfortably but she managed it superbly. Kudos to you all.

Congratulations on getting that first song for the new version posted!

Regards,
Noel

#233985 - 01/09/14 05:02 PM [User Showcase] Re: In A World Without You [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Florida
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Herb, I can' t imagine this being anything other than the style you are using. Nice mix. All the instruments are separated and clear. The steel sounds good. It was nicely edited. As usual an all around top shelf production. Tom

#234079 - 01/10/14 04:21 AM [User Showcase] Re: In A World Without You [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Canada
wade lillico Offline

Loc: Canada
Well done really nice to hear.

#234081 - 01/10/14 04:41 AM [User Showcase] Re: In A World Without You [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
Herb...

If you haven't alreaqdy, you can tell Dena she can breathe now! This is great in every way...the song, the arrangement, the mix, the delivery...everything. Very, very nice! Thanks for a marvelous listen!

Al & Di

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#234093 - 01/10/14 08:17 AM [User Showcase] Re: In A World Without You [Re: Guitarhacker]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Danny C: that girl can sing ... however, she is pursuing a different path in life now and hasn't sung in years (on studio stuff). She's a mom and living in Hawaii right now... new priorities in life. I encouraged her just the other week to not give up on music totally.... to stay involved at some level.

PG: glad you enjoyed this song

Noel: The back story is amazing.... she had just moved, had at least one child at that time, was a single mom, going to class and working, and recovering from surgery just a week or two earlier..... at the time she did this vocal track..... back in 2009. I had to edit out all the breaths because she sounded like a runner.... close up to the mic, every breath and lip smack was clearly recorded and was distracting.

Tommy: This is, I believe, version 4 since it was first demoed in 2009 without BB/RT. We were trying to make it adult contemporary/pop.

Wade: thanks for listening.

Al & Di: she was really moving on with that vocal delivery wasn't she? The biggest issue for me in reworking this was trying to find space and time for the fills so as not to step on her vox. Glad you took the time to listen

Thanks all....

Edited by Guitarhacker (01/10/14 08:18 AM)

#234124 - 01/10/14 10:09 AM [User Showcase] Re: In A World Without You [Re: Guitarhacker]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Herb,

The production and mix are nice. Consistent throughout.
Listening without the lyric (which I always do first time around) - it was difficult to understand some words. After a few tries, I had to look at the lyric. In the bridge and the soft instrumentation following it, the vocal stood out great.

floyd

#234125 - 01/10/14 10:10 AM [User Showcase] Re: In A World Without You [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi Herb,

a fine production.
Congratulations to the three of you.

Guenter

#234131 - 01/10/14 10:37 AM [User Showcase] Re: In A World Without You [Re: Guitarhacker]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Floyd: I hear ya on understanding the lyrics thing.... I was pulled into this collab to work on the music and by that time, the lyrics were done and to be totally honest, I had to get a copy of the lyrics to understand Dena's words as well....

Boehm: thanks... it was a fun project to work on. Interesting story on this song collab. At the time we wrote this and worked it up, none of use had ever met. Everything we did was across the internet. Pat started the song as a song about her sister who had breast cancer. She sent it to Dena who rough demoed it after rewriting it to be a more universal love song. I heard that rough demo and worked with D on the music. It was several months perhaps a year later that my wife and I took a short vacation trip to Nashville as tourists while our girls were in church summer camp. I mentioned my upcoming visit to Pat in an email and she said she was coincidentally planning to visit her sister (now recovered from cancer) who just happened to live in a Nashville suburb. I knew D lived near there as well so we set up a day that was convenient to all and met at a restaurant near Clarksville TN so D could get there easily on her lunch break. We had a good time, ate a good meal, and I got to meet Pat's sister Lorraine about whom the original song idea was written.

PG Music News
A Look Back... Band-in-a-Box® 2015 NAMM Demonstration #TBT

Watch Tobin (and Charlie!) demonstrate Band-in-a-Box® 2015 for Windows at the 2015 NAMM Show: Play video...

Tobin does a great job of showing just how easy it is to create a song with Band-in-a-Box!

This video was posted on January 23, 2015 to the Keyboard Instrument Chops and Gear YouTube Channel.

Enhance Your Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows Installation

Attention Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows users - update for FREE today!

We've added a new "record using" option within the Audio Settings dialog, and updated many existing features based on user feedback.

This free update also includes the most recent build of our DAW Plugin (3.9.12).

Learn more about this free update and download it today.

Ordering Your Band-in-a-Box® is Easy!

When you order any PG Music products directly from www.pgmusic.com (or www.bandinabox.com) you'll receive immediate links to start downloading your order! Even if you choose to have a backup copy of your Band-in-a-Box® packages shipped, you'll still have the download links available to you - no need to wait!

We've made it even easier to get started with Band-in-a-Box® with the Easy Payment Plan 4 - when you choose this payment option you'll pay four equal monthly payments starting on the day of your order.

Choose your Band-in-a-Box® for Windows package & order here.

Using Mac? Order here.

When you get to the checkout, simply click on Select Easy Payment Plan 4 for this product to apply this option.

Note: This only applies to this Band-in-a-Box product, and does not apply to other products that you might have in your order, including the physical backup copy if selected.

Band-in-a-Box® File Associations

You may have noticed when you were installing Band-in-a-Box® for Windows that you were asked if you would like to Associate Band-in-a-Box songs and styles with Band-in-a-Box? But, what does that mean?

It's actually pretty simple - basically, if you select this option while you're installing the program, files with the extensions .SGU, .MGU, and other Band-in-a-Box files will open directly in the program if you select them from outside the program.

Missed this option during your setup, but you'd like to apply it now? Go to File | File Utilities | Associate File types with Explorer within the program.

New Update for RealBand 2021 Available!

Do you use RealBand (included in all Band-in-a-Box® for Windows purchases)? Download the latest free update, which resolves a small viewing issue for Windows 11 users.

When you download the latest update for RealBand 2021, it will add all the updates we've made this year. See the full list here.

Ear Training Games in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows

October 1, 2021 is National Kids Music Day!

Head to the Practice Window in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows, and you'll see fun games that are fun ear training options for kids: Music Replay & Pitch Invasion.

Of course, you don't have to be a kid to like these games, I think there a fun way to learn at any age!

Music Replay is just what it sounds like - the program plays a 1-bar melody, and the user plays it back. Get it right, and you'll keep building that melody (and skill) within the game - get it wrong, and you'll be met with a warning tone and have to try again... it's quite addictive, and a lot of fun!

If you like a classic arcade game, then you'll love Pitch Invasion! We've managed to incorporate aliens with pitch-recognition skills in this exciting game, where you'll match the pitch of the alien ship descending towards your planet trying to destroy your collection of instruments - match the pitch and you've saved your instruments, make a mistake and the ship keeps coming... you'll have a few tries to get it right, if you're quick, but if all your instruments are destroyed - it's game over! The game speeds up as your skills improve, and you'll earn points along the way, with bonus points available throughout the game.

Open up your Band-in-a-Box® for Windows today to give it a try!

These ear training games are also included in Musical Arcade for Windows.

How to Make Backing Tracks with Band-in-a-Box®, by Nick Kellie

Band-in-a-Box® endorsing artist Nick Kellie recently got his hands on the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Mac, and put together this video showing off just how easy it is to make backing tracks in Band-in-a-Box®!

Band-in-a-Box Demo - How to make backing tracks

Forum Stats
35010 Members
66 Forums
71305 Topics
618585 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
jpaulo, Eddie R, cristian1980, Dandi, InspiredName

35009 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Pipeline 261