Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi,

link: This Is The Life For Me

A couple of weeks ago, a handful of us started working our way through the Andrea Stolpe book, Popular Lyric Writing: 10 Steps to Effective Story Telling.

The lyrics of this song developed from an exercise related to Andrea's techniques. Essentially, I wrote a very short story (150 words) on the topic of 'Fishing'. I then pulled it apart into short phrases and looked for rhymes within the text. When I'd deconstructed my writing, I gave myself a verse outline for rhyme, rhythm and types of phrase, put it all together and verse 1 was done. Applying more of Andrea's processes, the rest of the song followed.

All comments welcome and appreciated.

Regards,
Noel

LYRICS
Sitting here fishing at the river's edge
The sound of nothing fills my head
I got a sun that's shining, warm and yellow
I count myself a lucky fellow

CHORUS
This is the life for me
It's all that I need
Yeah this is the life for me
This is the life for me

I got a girl I love and when she sits beside me
Head on my shoulder, hand on my knee
Her touch is electric, my spirit soars
Who could ever ask for anything more?

CHORUS

I don't want to live for millions and millions of years
I only want to be happy with what I've got right here

CHORUS

BIAB DETAILS
RealTracks
539:Bass, Electric, Pop Sw 120
962:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm CountryBoogieCleanA-B Sw 140
965:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm CountryBoogieGrittyA-B Sw 140
1117:Fiddle, Background CountryBoogie Sw 140
2165:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm NewOrleansSwinginPop Sw 130

RealDrums
NashvilleShuffle^01-a:Sidestick, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

The song began in BIAB, tracks added in RB and then mixed in Reaper. Ozone was used to polish the mix and Nectar was used to polish the vocals.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Noel,

Very good song...Bouncy and happy.

I like your 1st verse...I can imagine exactly what you wrote.

Nit pick...2nd verse seems to come out of left field, nothing to do with fishing as I perceive it.

Saying that...It is a very good song.

Well done

George

Windows 11 64 bit, Biab 2023 1006, Realband 2023 (1)
i7 Desktop Computer 16Gb Memory

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Noel,

Great song! I liked everything about it, especially the Ragtime feel and your vocal delivery... My new favorite of yours. smile

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Noel, I get it . The song is not about fishing. It's about enjoying the things you love. (fishing and the girl) I really like the chorus. It has a sing along quality to it. I always enjoy your detailed posts on lyric writing. It gives me a far different perspective from the stream of consciousness type of writing that I do. I am afraid if I put as much thought into the process as you do I would get brain lock. I agree with Bob the ragtime feel is perfect. Great Job. Tom

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Noel, my friend, I got it too !
The only thing is that I do not
have that girl beside me anymore !:))

What river are you referring to in
your song ?(I take it you ment fishing on
the river, could be the sea too, naturally ?)
I also found your tune a very happy
and joyful one making the listener
happy too !:)) My congrats on a
very nice and well sung tune !:))

Cheers
Dani

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Noel,

what an uplifting song.
Thanks for the background story.
I'm still humming the chorus.

Guenter

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Awesome! What a blast. Great lyrics, really liked that bridge, sweet mix, love that New Orleans swing.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Excellent. Really enjoyed the rhythm and melody. Well sung and played..

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Excellent work Noel. Love it!

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Noel, it took an entire 3 notes to "hook" me! Then at 1:45 you had me "Squattin' in your basic tall cotton when you unleashed that fiddle on me! Wow, that borders on cruel and unusual punishment!

I loved the instrumentation throughout but I've come to expect great things from you.

Thanks so much.

Don

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Noel...

Another super listen from you. The ragtime style fit this so perfectly. We loved everything about it!!! you put a lot of thought and work into your music and it shows! Best to you, mate...

Al & Di

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Noel,

Terrific! Love the simplicity of your chorus. So singable and so memorable. The change of focus of the two verses is super. And the perfect bridge to send it off into that happy place it's going in the end..

And fun music to carry it all. The play between the fiddle and piano leads is really nice. The whole thing builds nicely and carries the listener along for the ride.. an enjoyable one.

I did imagine you in a vaudeville straw hat, cane and seersucker suit doing a soft-shoe while you sang this...

floyd

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Such a feel-good song, Noel ... they lyrics and vocals are just perfect with the backing track you created! It's bedtime for me, but now I woke up!LOL! Awesome job!!!

Cheers,
Mike

My Music * Asus ROG Strix G15CF 32 GB DDR4 4TB HDD + 1 TB SSD NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 8GB Win 11 AKAI EIE PRO Sound Interface. BIAB/RB 2024 UltraPak Build - Latest
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Noel,

Great sounding track. You couldn't have chosen a better arrangement to carry the melody and lyrics. Wonderful happy feel from start to finish.

I like how you set the scene of our hero fishing and how good it feels to be there then let his mind wander as it naturally would to the other good thing he loves and how great life is in that moment of satisfying relaxing reflection on this beautiful day fishing at the riverbank.

Loved it here.

Josie

User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi George,

Good to see you! Thank you for having a listen.

I smiled when I read what you'd written about verse 1. I was hoping that it would allow listeners to see the song's character sitting at a river, on a quiet and restful sunny day, fishing.

I wrote lot's of different verses 2 before I settled on the one in the song. I can appreciate that it seems to come from nowhere because I haven't really anchored it with anything from verse 1; that is, there is no obvious long-distant lyric relationship that helps make a lyric cohesive. It's a good point you make and I'll take it on board if/when I revisit the song.

Thank you for pointing this out to me.

Best regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Bob,

Thanks for dropping by. Appreciate it.

Like with most Realtracks, I discover, I stumbled on to this one by accident. I'd written the song, I had the bass, the guitars and drums all chosen. I wanted something else to fill up the mix and to give me entertaining variation. What I did was to sort the Realtrack list by tempo and then started working through different instruments. The minute this piano played it seemed to fall into place.

Thanks again.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Tommy,

Thank you for jumping into the thread.

The beauty of Andrea Stolpe's process is that brain block doesn't occur. All I do is think of any topic at all; the sky is literally the limit. Then I write about this topic from the perspective of the senses and include things relating to internal and external body movement and feelings. As mentioned above, I aim to get around 150 words. Once the writing is done, I pull out the main one-to-four-word phrases from the writing and list them. The reason for doing this is because extracting the main phrases removes the clutter around the words and takes them out of the context of the story.

Now when I read through my list of phrases without context, possibilities open up. I always go where those possibilities take me and I don't necessarily try to make the verse a reflection of the initial writing.

It's fun!

Once again, thank you for the comments.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Janice just commented that this tune takes her back to a George Harrison concert where they did a skiffle groove song. Big time feel good vibe then and now. While, I'm name dropping I'll say that the melody and lyric come easily have come from McCartney. I'm not going to try and offer any analysis of the lyric, etc., other than a simple "the total package works for me!" And for my eternally optimistic and happy wife the song is absolute heaven!

User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hey Dani,

I'm grateful that you found your way inside to have a listen and I appreciate your comments.

When I wrote the song, the river I had in mind was one from my childhood. In my primary school years, I grew up in a very small seaside town. Mum and dad used to often take the family fishing. The place we'd fish was a great spot; peaceful and beautiful. It was where the sea's salt water and the river's fresh water interfaced with one another. We used to catch some spectacular bream and trevally there.

Writing this song took me back to times I really enjoyed. I think that helped a great deal with writing both the music and the lyrics.

Once again, thank you smile

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Guenter,

Thank you. It's always good to see you. It made me smile when I read that you were "still humming the chorus". I was hoping that it was simple enough to be remembered easily. Thanks for letting me know about that!

Regards,

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,393
Posts732,477
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195