Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#235547 - 01/16/14 11:03 PM [User Showcase] Re: So confused about the responses on this new one! [Re: Al-David]
Loc: Buford, GA
MikeK Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Mike...

Ja, ich can noch Deutsch sprechen. Ich habe viel vergessen aber es bleibt gut genug. Wo im Deautschland wohnen Sie? Bis spater...(ich habe kein umlaut auf meinen schluessel)

Al

Hallo Al, I actually moved to the US in 1986. SO, I call this my home now. And hey, your German is still pretty darn good! smile How am I doing on my American English? LOL

My Music * PC: Avatar FX8366ice AMD FX-8350(4.0GHz) 16GB DDR3 6TB HDD+128GB SSD HDD Capacity NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Win 10 64-Bit. AKAI EIE PRO Sound Interface. BIAB/RB 2020

#235550 - 01/16/14 11:07 PM [User Showcase] Re: So confused about the responses on this new one! [Re: Guitarhacker]
MikeK Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker

DRUMS: the drums are fine if you can simply tame that one side stick.... it does stand out. Lower it's level or find a way to roll it's EQ off to smooth it down a bit. That side stick was really the only part of the drum kit I could hear easily on these cheap speakers.

Appreciate your input and totally agree. But, since I used RDs, I can't single out the side kick in my mix... it's got to be a one for all adjustment. I'll try my best, but totally agree with you on this one!!!

Thanks for your valuable input!

Edited by MikeK (01/16/14 11:08 PM)

My Music * PC: Avatar FX8366ice AMD FX-8350(4.0GHz) 16GB DDR3 6TB HDD+128GB SSD HDD Capacity NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Win 10 64-Bit. AKAI EIE PRO Sound Interface. BIAB/RB 2020

#235553 - 01/16/14 11:22 PM [User Showcase] Re: So confused about the responses on this new one! [Re: MikeK]
Loc: USA
Danny C. Offline
Veteran

Loc: USA
Well my "old ears" love it as is, for whatever that is worth.

Also, on a side note, I think I may be in love with Yvonne.

Later,

The More You Drink The Better I Sound

#235554 - 01/16/14 11:26 PM [User Showcase] Re: So confused about the responses on this new one! [Re: Danny C.]
MikeK Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Danny C.
Well my "old ears" love it as is, for whatever that is worth.

Also, on a side note, I think I may be in love with Yvonne.

Later,

Danny, she will love your nice comment and I know she'll love you back! smile Glad you like the track, but I will take the advice from my fellow BIABers smile

Have a great one .. Yvonne is smiling already smile

#235588 - 01/17/14 07:43 AM [User Showcase] Re: So confused about the responses on this new one! [Re: MikeK]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: MikeK
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker

DRUMS: the drums are fine if you can simply tame that one side stick.... it does stand out. Lower it's level or find a way to roll it's EQ off to smooth it down a bit. That side stick was really the only part of the drum kit I could hear easily on these cheap speakers.

Appreciate your input and totally agree. But, since I used RDs, I can't single out the side kick in my mix... it's got to be a one for all adjustment. I'll try my best, but totally agree with you on this one!!!

Thanks for your valuable input!

Use a parametric EQ and find the center of the side stick's freq.... it's gonna be fairly high.... the put a notch on the center of that freq and pull it down... you don't have to do very much to notch it out a bit. That will get that clicking aspect out.

On the vocals, have you tried layering them? I use layering to fatten up vocals. Record 3 unique takes. Don't copy or clone. Pick the best one for the lead up the center at volume. Use your vocal pitch fixing on it and apply reverb as previously described. Pan the other 2 tracks hard opposite each other and using volume envelopes, pull them both down to around -18 to -22 db below the main vocal. You can apply a slightly heavier reverb or leave them totally dry. Experiment to see what works best for the song.

You do not want them up loud enough to where they sound like obvious double tracking. Less is more on vocal layering. This is a very common technique used in the "big" studios to give a really fat sound to all the singers voices these days. Error on the low side.... it never hurts to knock a few more db off the panned track levels.

You should only be able to hear those tracks at all if the vocal buss is soloed. In the mix they should not be readily apparent. The subconscious ear will hear them and the result is a perceived fatter vocal sound. I generally do not fix the vocals nor do I use much reverb in the tracks.

One thing to be aware of.....be absolutely sure the 2 layer tracks are as close to the main as possible. Be sure the "s's" at the ends of words are lined up.... you don't want "ghost echo's" in there, because that stuff will show up fast in a poorly synced mix.

It's possible with work, and attention to details, to get a really professional sounding vocal track at home. Good equipment also helps.

hope this helps you some towards that goal.

Edited by Guitarhacker (01/17/14 07:47 AM)

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.

As the sword chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer.

#235637 - 01/17/14 02:22 PM [User Showcase] Re: So confused about the responses on this new one! [Re: MikeK]
Loc: Maryland
SpaceDog Offline
Expert

Loc: Maryland
Mike,
Sorry being late to string but glad I didn't miss this one. All good comments. I really liked the song a Yvonne performance. If you make the tweaks suggested it will be even better.
SpaceDog

#235641 - 01/17/14 03:14 PM [User Showcase] Re: So confused about the responses on this new one! [Re: MikeK]
Loc: The Heartland....Kansas
chulaivet1966 Offline
Expert

Loc: The Heartland....Kansas
Originally Posted By: MikeK
I'd really like your opinion, Any other helpful input would also be greatly appreciated smile Thanks in advance!

I gave a listen knowing I'm late to this party.
To qualify, I did not read every response so if I'm out of line ignore this post.

I perceive this to be more of a bluesy ballad.
Being a long time drummer/songwriter what immediately stuck out to me was the kick/snare rim shots.
I think they are interactively too busy, detract from the vocals and sound a bit too looped.
Personally, I would just keep those two simpler and on the beat.

I did not scrutinize any other aspect of your tune.

I'm not saying it's bad it's just my quite subjective opinion.

Hope that helps....that's my take on it.

Good luck....carry on.

Edited by chulaivet1966 (01/18/14 06:46 PM)

#235807 - 01/18/14 05:01 PM [User Showcase] Re: So confused about the responses on this new one! [Re: MikeK]
MikeK Offline
Veteran

Thanks again for all your valuable input! Taken it to heart and did a remix... I'll be posting it soon, once Yvonne is telling me that it's a go smile

#237849 - 01/30/14 09:33 AM [User Showcase] Re: So confused about the responses on this new one! [Re: MikeK]
Loc: uk
tributeman Offline
Journeyman

Loc: uk
Hi Mike Ive also come late to listen to your song...two things stand out..drums are a bit to busy and the singer Yvonnes voice needs to be more upfront..its a soulful song and I would love to hear that breathy female vocal sound which would in my opinion enhance this song which I like by the way.Thanks for the listen
windows 7 Ultimate
yamaha rev 500 effects
tacam DP-24 DAW
Samson Resolv NF monitors
Yamaha PSR-620 Keyboard
Fender semi accoustic guitar

#237873 - 01/30/14 10:52 AM [User Showcase] Re: So confused about the responses on this new one! [Re: MikeK]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Mike,

I hope your surgery went well.

I liked that song quite a bit... I've tried to write a decent song in that genre and I can't seem to make it convincing.

Please tell your singer friend that I think she's awesome!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

PG Music News
A Look Back - Band-in-a-Box® 2009 for Mac

In May 2009, we released Band-in-a-Box® 2009 for Mac to the world, unleashing automatic REAL accompaniment to the MacIntel community!

This highly anticipated release brought with it RealTracks, RealDrums, the Audio Chord Wizard, Audio Rendering, MultiStyles, an updated GUI, and more!

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® 2009 Introduction Video for a blast-from-the-past! Watch video...
(This is an easy-to-follow explanation of RealTracks & RealDrums that even a seasoned user will enjoy!)

We had also made a video highlighting the advanced features released with Version 2009: Watch now

The Band-in-a-Box® SongPicker

The Band-in-a-Box® SongPicker can show information for up to 60,000 song files and can be customized to point to any folder on your computer, allowing easy access to your own song files or Band-in-a-Box® demo files!

Once you've chosen your folder and rebuilt your list, you are able to filter the list, adjust the width of the columns, see the chord sheet within the SongPicker Window, and more! The filter feature is incredibly specific too - you can even filter by Songs with Custom Chord Progression!

Read more about the SongPicker: Windows | Mac.

We created a video explaining the SongPicker using Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows - check it out!

Video - Band-in-a-Box® Transpose From .. To .. Tutorial

Make sure you check out our latest video if you want to see how to transpose a portion of your song! Click here to watch...

Learn even more about transposing within Band-in-a-Box with our online manual: Windows | Mac.

The Guitar & Piano Chord Dictionary Programs

Happy National Dictionary Day!*

Head to our Other Windows Software page to find programs like PowerTracks, GuitarStar: Brent Mason Country, Video Guitar Lessons, and more!

Scroll down and you'll find our Guitar Chord Dictionary & Piano Chord Dictionary programs. Each Chord Dictionary allows you to choose a root note to select the chord you want to learn, and it will be displayed on-screen with either the piano keyboard or the guitar fretboard!

In the Guitar Chord Dictionary & Piano Chord Dictionary you can change the sounds within the Settings window, whether it be the Root note or the Chord, and it doesn't even have to be a guitar or piano! Looking through the options, there's various piano choices, guitar choices, organ, etc. - but you can also choose more unique sounds like the tuba, saxophone, trumpet, clarinet, and more!

*October 16th

Band-in-a-Box® Video Testimonial by C. Dan Roberts

Our latest Video Testimonial comes from C. Dan Roberts, and his enthusiasm for Band-in-a-Box® is inspiring!

Watch the video...

Do you have a video testimonial that you would like to share? Contact us at marketing@pgmusic.com.

Visit C. Dan Roberts testimonial page here.

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box®

Today* is National Train Your Brain Day!

You can definitely do that with Band-in-a-Box®

Open your Band-in-a-Box® program, and you'll find the [Practice] button in the toolbar - it's a GREAT resource!
Minimized your toolbar? Head to Window | Practice Window or ALT SHIFT L to access.

In this window, you'll find many options to help you practice, including Ear Training games (Pitch Invasion is my favorite!), access to the Chord Builder and Chord Subs, some helpful tools within the Playalong Features menu (like Trade 4s, woodshed tempo, etc.), and more!

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box® today!

Resources:
Windows Online Manual: Practice Window
Mac Online Manual: Tools, Wizards, Tutors, and Fun

*October 13

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Updates for Windows & Mac!

We've just released FREE Updates for both Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows & Mac program users!

With the latest update for Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows, you can now choose the "Save Exact Chord Text" checkbox to the Save XML dialog, there are VST feature updates, Audio Chord Wizard enhancements, updated program messages, we've applied fixes to an assortment of user-reported issues, and the DAW Plugin 2.12.15 Update has been added too!

Review the complete list of updates for build 734 and download it here.

The newest Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac update also includes VST feature updates, as well as RealTracks & RealDrums Picker enhancements, smoother 'tabbing' between dialog windows, and additional fixes applied to an assortment of user-reported issues. If you missed adding the DAW Plugin 2.12.15 update from September, it will be added with this update too!

Review the complete list of updates for build 420 and download it here.

Forum Stats
33068 Members
68 Forums
66605 Topics
566667 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
glenn miner, Babu Joseph, Dama, dickertl, popo55

33067 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Janice & Bud 138
Planobilly 138