Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Hi There,

I had a similiar post here regarding ties from a few weeks ago, but I accidently deleted it tonight when I was posting another reply. So, this is basically what I am asking.

Still having difficulties with ties. Just so I am on the same page with you, I know what a tie is and know what its function is. smile What I dont know is how does biab let you enter in a tie (in the staff roll mode in the notation window)? There are areas of notation in my existing sheet music where there are ties. But when entering the existing sheet music into biab, it doesnt let me put one in and it wont put one in automatically either. Im stumped!

Does BIAB call it something different than a tie? I cannot find the word"tie" in the help section of biab either.

In this attachment, I drew in a tie in red where a tie needs to go,
Thanks for the help in advance,
Shannon

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
BIAB-tie question-2-19-14.PNG (9.03 KB, 264 downloads)
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: shannon88
Hi There,

I had a similiar post here regarding ties from a few weeks ago, but I accidently deleted it tonight when I was posting another reply. So, this is basically what I am asking.

Still having difficulties with ties. Just so I am on the same page with you, I know what a tie is and know what its function is. smile What I dont know is how does biab let you enter in a tie (in the staff roll mode in the notation window)? There are areas of notation in my existing sheet music where there are ties. But when entering the existing sheet music into biab, it doesnt let me put one in and it wont put one in automatically either. Im stumped!

Does BIAB call it something different than a tie? I cannot find the word"tie" in the help section of biab either.

In this attachment, I drew in a tie in red where a tie needs to go,
Thanks for the help in advance,
Shannon

Hi Shannon
You mean a 'tie' like in the first attachment?

BiaB doesn't let you enter ties, just notes or rests. It works out the missing bits. To recreate this, just enter the notes or rest. Follow the steps below. Tip: It's easier if you always work forward, not backwards as you enter data.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
2014-02-19_20-53-30.jpg (70.06 KB, 262 downloads)
2014-02-19_20-57-33.jpg (62.2 KB, 261 downloads)
2014-02-19_20-59-30.jpg (73.47 KB, 260 downloads)
2014-02-19_21-00-51.jpg (90.14 KB, 262 downloads)
2014-02-19_21-04-42.png (66.61 KB, 255 downloads)

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
In Videotrack's great screenshots, you get to that final dialog box (where you can tweak a note such as changing the duration to 4) by right-clicking on the beginning of the note in the Notation window.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
In Videotrack's great screenshots, you get to that final dialog box (where you can tweak a note such as changing the duration to 4) by right-clicking on the beginning of the note in the Notation window.

Thanks for the clarification on that point Matt. Yes, I should have mentioned that important point of how to get to that screen.

Cheers
Trevor

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Thanks Guys, for your help!! I will look at your info and if I have any further questions, I will post here again!! Thanks you again!

Shannon

S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Hi Videotrack,

Thanks for the info. I understood the 1st screen shot. Then the 2nd screen shot and all the screen shot after that, didnt make sense regarding the 2nd measure.I understood the screenshot of the dialog box, but all in all, your demo didnt work unfortunately. The 1st and 2nd measure turned out fine (as typical) but it did not create a tie as indicated in your demo. frown

I know ties are importtant because if the tie isnt there when needed, then that measure doesnt sound right and it throws off the song. As you know, a tie is 2 notes that are strung together creating 1 long note so I cant understand why biab didnt create that feature and ability to do so, i.e. make a tie between 2 notes. I would think it would be an obvious feature. smile

So, is there another way to explain how to use a tie in biab? Would be most appreciative.

Thanks so much,
Shannon

Veteran
Veteran
I believe VideoTrack has correctly explained this, particularly the point about entering the notes working left to right. I don't see how you could not get a tie. You said your first two bars are OK, but that would mean you have a tie.

In BIAB, you don't enter two notes and then tie them. Instead, you enter one note and either let BIAB set the duration, or manually go in like the last dialog box and adjust the duration. If the note is long enough to carry into the next bar, BIAB automatically creates the tie.

If that doesn't work for you, please give a description of the exact steps you are following, what you expected to happen, and what actually happened.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Hi Matt, I can make an example of what I am doing.

Using the same example as above, starting at the 1st measure (all notes on D),

1.) I enter G6 as the 1st chord.
2.) Then, I go into the notation window and select staff roll mode.
3.) I input a half note (first 2 beats)
4.) I input a dotted quarter note (a beat and a half)
5.) I input a eight note (as the remainder of the 1st measure)
6.) 2nd measure, one whole note placed of the first beat equaling 4 beats.

....and no tie. Alternative, I recreated the same notes on a new screen and the last, I went into the dialog box and changed the duration/beat/ticks area and changed it to 4. I even increased and decreased the ticks...and nothing....no tie. Im not sure what to do now.

Tie1--2-23-14.PNG (50.5 KB, 201 downloads)
Tie2--2-23-14.PNG (66.74 KB, 200 downloads)
Tie3--2-23-14.PNG (61.67 KB, 202 downloads)
Tie 4-2-23-14.PNG (64.62 KB, 200 downloads)
Tie5-2-23-14.PNG (32.69 KB, 202 downloads)
Last edited by shannon88; 02/24/14 01:03 AM.
S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Finally, a tie!!!! I think the trick is that I have to enter a few measures after, from where the tie is supposed to placed and then it will automatically put a tie in. Note to self.

Thank you for your help, time and affort! Much appreciated!

Veteran
Veteran

....and no tie. Alternative, I recreated the same notes on a new screen and the last, I went into the dialog box and changed the duration/beat/ticks area and changed it to 4. I even increased and decreased the ticks...and nothing....no tie. Im not sure what to do now.

Hi Shannon
Great to know that you got it working, but I am a little confused with some of your statements, viz (emphasis supplied):

What did you do to enter a 3) 'Half note', 4) 'dotted quarter note' and 5)final 'eighth note'?

Or did you just enter notes in the correct positions, and the note "lengths" were supplied by BiaB?

Normally when entering notes with a mouse click on the Stave, BiaB works out the lengths, not the user.
In my samples above, you see that inserted note lengths are calculated by BiaB, until a later note causes an earlier note to be 'shortened'

Matt's tip is good: it's easier to work from Left to Right
Don't worry about note lengths (at least initially)

Look forward to your feedback

Kind regards

Trevor

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Videotrack,

Thanks for the info. I understood the 1st screen shot. Then the 2nd screen shot and all the screen shot after that, didnt make sense regarding the 2nd measure.I understood the screenshot of the dialog box, but all in all, your demo didnt work unfortunately. The 1st and 2nd measure turned out fine (as typical) but it did not create a tie as indicated in your demo. frown
So, is there another way to explain how to use a tie in biab? Would be most appreciative.

Thanks so much,
Shannon

Answer:
The first screen shot was the expected final result. Note the text states: "You mean a 'tie' like in the first attachment?"

The other screen shots showed the procedure to follow to get to that result.

Hope this clarifies.

Last edited by VideoTrack; 02/24/14 03:39 AM. Reason: clarified statements

Veteran
Veteran
Shannon, your step #6 was the problem. Go back and read the second paragraph of my last post for the explanation.

S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Hi Matt,

I reread your 2nd paragrapph in your last post and I understand the concept. So in otherwards Im not just to assume that I will be entering the note in the 2nd measure manually (mouse click in biab), instead biab will automatically enter it for me? Is it that biab see what notes you are entering and determines the song based upon the melody line? If its THAT intuitive, eh?

Actually, I still am having trouble with the ties. I finish up and succeeded with the 1st measure with a tie, but further measures where there is supposed to be ties, biab is giving me fits again (and with your instruction in mind too).

Please understand that I am undergoing a learning curve with biab with so much to learn. Im one that is used to putting down notes on sheet music paper. smile

Thanks,
Shannon

Veteran
Veteran
I've used written notation on staff paper for 50+ years myself. Yes, I do understand how this is confusing to someone learning BIAB. But hang in there.

Here's the thing about your example: you never enter a note in measure 2.

Try this experiment: just use your mouse in the Editable Notation mode and start clicking notes, working from left to right. If you skip a few bars, notice how BIAB assumes you meant a whole note in the prior note. If you do not skip a few bars but instead click soon after a note that is already entered, notice how BIAB creates the new note but also creates the length of the preceding note to make sure it doesn't overlap onto the note you just entered. Specifically to the point at issue, if the note BIAB creates spans a bar, it automatically creates the tie.

And if you don't like whatever it did, you right-click on the note and adjust it manually in the dialog box where it shows the starting point and duration (and volume) of the note. Sometimes you may also wish to check the checkbox for Rest instead of Note, and enter a rest in a specific place (which may remove a tie if there had been one; this depends on whether the prior note spans over a bar line).

Assuming you are using a mouse and not a keyboard to play the notes, this system of note entry is far better than any other I've used in any other music software. And I've used a lot and been paid to do so.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
I've used written notation on staff paper for 50+ years myself. Yes, I do understand how this is confusing to someone learning BIAB. But hang in there.

Here's the thing about your example: you never enter a note in measure 2.

As Matt (and I) have correctly pointed out, if you want to tie a note to lengthen it, you cannot place a note in the position where it should continue to be playing. It has to be placed in the position where it must start playing. Matt's emphasized text (above) is the key point.

Review my last screen capture that shows where I placed the final note in the bar, and compare to where you placed the final note. The mouse cursor shows exactly where I placed the final (3rd) note. Music plays forward from that point. You entered 4 notes - when you only want 3 notes to play.

2014-02-19_21-00-51.jpg (90.14 KB, 168 downloads)
2014-02-25_10-21-59.jpg (111.87 KB, 166 downloads)

S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack

Hi Shannon
Great to know that you got it working, but I am a little confused with some of your statements, viz (emphasis supplied):

What did you do to enter a 3) 'Half note', 4) 'dotted quarter note' and 5)final 'eighth note'?

Or did you just enter notes in the correct positions, and the note "lengths" were supplied by BiaB?

Normally when entering notes with a mouse click on the Stave, BiaB works out the lengths, not the user.
In my samples above, you see that inserted note lengths are calculated by BiaB, until a later note causes an earlier note to be 'shortened'

Matt's tip is good: it's easier to work from Left to Right
Don't worry about note lengths (at least initially)

Look forward to your feedback

Kind regards

Trevor

Hi Trevor,

With the mouse clicks, I enter the notes in their correct positions. Actually,when I go to the dialog box, that's where I get lost. In the "duration: beats/ticks" area, let's say, if I see a "4", I know that means that's a 4th beat,but the "tick" box, thats where I get lost. I would think it would mean that if I increased the number, that that 4th beat would be closer to the next beat. To decrease, would mean that the further away from the next beat....but im not sure thats the case. Hope that makes sense to you, Trevor. smile

Veteran
Veteran
In the dialog box that you get when you right-click on a note, the Duration is measured in beats then ticks. What you need to know is that BIAB uses 120 ticks per beat.

So, if you wanted a quarter note, this Duration would appear as 0 beats, 90 or so ticks. Using a value of 80 to 100 will sound the note almost a beat worth, but also give a space (rest) afterward so that it would not run into another quarter note starting on the next beat.

If you wanted a half note, it would be 1 beat 90 or so ticks (which sounds almost two beats).

To get your final note in your example at the beginning of this thread, which is an eighth note on the and of beat four tied to a whole note in the next measure, this would appear as 4 beats and maybe 90 or so ticks (VideoTrack's illustration shows 100, which works).

S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Thanks Matt, for the clarification on the ticks. I'll have to take some time in the next few days to understand all of this and experiment with it. I'll get back to you if I have any further questions. Thanks for your help!

Shannon

S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Entering note is going alot smoother now that you both have given me your tips. I am still having a couple of bars. I went in and change some things around regarding the duration among other tips and still cant it to work with me here.

Here are 2 screen shots.

One is in staff roll mode to demostrate the problem area and then I have another screen shot of the same problem area in editable mode. In black on bar 7, this is what I want to happen. Im hoping its something Im overlooking... Also, I ve kept in mind that I never enter note in 2nd measure. Bar 6, I didnt enter anything, I wanted a whole note and I got it, but bar 7 didnt turn out as I hoped.

tie-6 and 7 bar-2-24-14.PNG (37.06 KB, 153 downloads)
tie-6 and 7 bar2-2-24-14.PNG (50.62 KB, 152 downloads)
Last edited by shannon88; 02/25/14 12:38 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
1. Erase the note in measure 8. Right-click on it and select Delete Note.

2. I can't tell the length of the blue line from the last note in measure 5. If step one didn't fix it, go back and right-click on the note on beat 4 of measure 5. In the dialog box, make sure Duration, Beats is set to 11.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Video: Making a Song with Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V

Take your Band-in-a-Box® project to a whole new level when you incorporate ChatGPT and Synth V to add lyrics and vocals to your song!

We wanted to demonstrate how this is done with our video, where we show you how to go from nothing to a finished "radio ready" modern pop song by combining the features of Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V!

Listen to the finished song, so you get a listen to the finished product: https://demos.pgmusic.com/misc/behindthefame.m4a

If you like it, watch the video. Either way, let's hear your comments!

Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,874
Posts738,289
Members38,606
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
macjones, jaramokma, mcool, Ruby Bamboo, Merdo
38,605 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 163