Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
BBW2.EXE is used by RealBand, I believe, to give you the BIAB features in RealBand. You're not running BIAB, per se, but RealBand does invoke BBW2.EXE as a sub-process. Sometimes you see the screen pop up, but usually it's hidden behind the RealBand screen.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Do you have a virus?? How is the machine running other applications?

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
As JFord said, that can be caused by a hidden window, but it hasn't been heard of in a while. Thought it was fixed(?)
Try approaching it from a hidden window point of view:
minimize the main window (and any others) to reveal any open windows
make sure there is no browser running
check task manager processes and see if bbw2 shows up under processes or applications
.. just a few ideas. Kudos to jford for remembering this.

Send that info about the bbw2 report to support and include the modified date of your bbw2 file in the Realband folder. Or chat. Or call.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

As JFord said, that can be caused by a hidden window, but it hasn't been heard of in a while. Thought it was fixed(?)
Try approaching it from a hidden window point of view:
minimize the main window (and any others) to reveal any open windows
make sure there is no browser running

once the problem starts, I can't minimize anything (or do much else)...

Quote:

check task manager processes and see if bbw2 shows up under processes or applications

BBW2 doesn't show up in task manager as an app, but it does show up as a process. (2nd tab) But even if I close that process, RB remains locked up beyond task manager's ability to pry it loose.

Quote:

.. just a few ideas. Kudos to jford for remembering this.

yeah, he must still have brain cells left.

I knew that BBW2 is not BIAB, and that it works with RB.. I was trying to make the point that they show up separately when I try to shut down, and RB is not the app that's locking me up by itself... on one hand, the fact that RB crashes seems to have something to do with BBW2.exe... As a test, I renamed BBW2 so it couldn't start; but the problem still occurred...

regarding CPU usage:
the problematic project actually uses less resources than other projects that don't fail.

Quote:

Send that info about the bbw2 report to support and include the modified date of your bbw2 file in the Realband folder. Or chat. Or call.

yeah, I guess it's come to that. Thanks to everybody for your ideas and suggestions.

RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

Do you have a virus?? How is the machine running other applications?

the word "virus" has definitely crept into my thinking. I don't have other symptoms, but it would probably be a good idea to run a scan

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Does BBW2 on task manager (process tab) show a high percent of comp use, if not what does. You might try end process on whatever is extra high. On my comp BBW2 shows 1% loading a song and 0% playing,and Realband exe shows 1% when playing a song and 20% when generating a song. System Idle is 99% when playing a song. Might help you track down whats using your comp.

RealBand
L
Veteran
Veteran
L
The bbw2.exe is associated with giving RB access to BIAB features such as the Styles Window. Maybe there is a problem with initialising the BIAB features???

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Help, I need closure!

RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

The bbw2.exe is associated with giving RB access to BIAB features such as the Styles Window. Maybe there is a problem with initialising the BIAB features???

the BIAB features shouldn't even be in play because the tracks are already generated. It should just be a simple matter of playing back previously recorded material. Yet it chokes.

Other new projects seem to be working OK.. I'm coming to the conclusion that there's just something funky about that project, and I don't want to lose momentum by chasing down a shadow. Sometimes it's faster and easier to just abandon the work invested and start over from scratch. Which is exactly what I did.

Interestingly, Funky McProject has played through several times without stopping, and I don't know what was different when it happened. And at the moment, I don't care.

RealBand
Journeyman
Journeyman
OK, it seems I tracked MY problem down.

I (think I) realised it was dropbox. Even if the WiFi connect was disabled, DropBox was still trying to connect?

When I right hand clicked on the Dropbox Icon it showed "Connecting" but the word was sort of greyed out..

I then went to Task Manager and STOPPED the Dropbox.exe process that was running in the background.

After that, no problems. Saves ok, does not hang up anymore . Recorded 2 songs today , no stuttering, did not even reboot ever 30 minutes like I used to.

Happiness ...

I was beginning to think I am due for a new PC ....(not anymore)

I'm doing allright for Country Trash ....

I used to care, but things have changed (Bob Dylan)

BIAB 2022W + RB
M-Audio FastTrack C600, Rode NT2-A
Digitech VoiceLive 4

Epiphone Sheraton, Ibanez 12str, Washburn 6str, Cort 6Str Nylon
Yanagisawa Tenor Sax

RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hey, CT! Good job on tracking your problem down!

RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
One of the things that drives me nuts is the mouse cursor "freezing" in one place every so often. Last night on a whim I replaced the wireless mouse with a regular mouse, and the freezing seems to have abated.

I LOVE the idea of a workplace with minimal wires, so wireless KB and mouse has aesthetic appeal... but if it slows me down, its gotta go

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Pat, I recently had a similar problem with my Logitech WIFI mouse. I traced it to weak batteries out of a supposedly new batch. You might check that.

RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Don Gaynor
Pat, I recently had a similar problem with my Logitech WIFI mouse. I traced it to weak batteries out of a supposedly new batch. You might check that.

I did change batteries, hoping that would be the solution. Unfortunately, it still froze intermittently.

I think there's something else going on above and beyond the mouse, but I haven't been able to track it down. I've been removing processes that look extraneous, but so far nothing stops the pauses.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
I had a problem with my Logitech wireless mouse locking up on my. I just put the little USB transmitter into a different USB port and it worked fine after that. Just something to think about.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jford
I had a problem with my Logitech wireless mouse locking up on my. I just put the little USB transmitter into a different USB port and it worked fine after that. Just something to think about.

good idea! Simple and easy to try!

thanks John

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Some versions of windows actually associate the port that some devices were installed on .. and if you move it you need to have another install of the drivers for that port.
Seems stupid to me, but we've seen it previously, especially with certain USB->MIDI devices.
Plug it in to another port; no joy .. reinstall drivers; success .. multiple drivers loaded for each port used were found when checked.

Wouldn't surprise me much if going back to the original physical port worked.
Or reinstalling the driver while it's on the port it's on now..

Good eye jford. I'm pretty sure you would have seen this before also.

Last edited by rharv; 05/19/13 07:22 PM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
L
Veteran
Veteran
L
Hi Pat,

If you are loading the same file as saved previously at the last close, then RB does not initiate the BIAB functions because the Style name has not changed. However, should you change file and the STYLE name changes, RB does then initiate the BIAB functions automatically whether or not you intend to generate BIAB tracks.

For this reason, I have chosen a Style name which I use for all the files in development including $Options.seq to ensure that these BIAB processes are not activated unless required.

RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
OK, I went back to the project that was causing the aforementioned problem.

Still a problem. But I noticed there were copied MIDI tracks using the same channel which on my PERFORMING machine would have been routed to different ports on my hardware MIDI output device.

However, this was my recording machine, where I typically develop MIDI using a soft synth (no hardware MIDI outputs at all)

I deleted the MIDI tracks and the problem went away!

If I had realized that was going to happen I might have experimented a bit to learn exactly what had to change in order to fix the problem. (I'm thinking deleting all the MIDI was wayyyy overkill, but...)

Afterwards, I recreated the MIDI tracks without recreating the problem... except this time none of them sent data to the same channel.

I'm wondering if somewhere in memory there was still a reference to multiple ports, even though it didn't show up in any of the dialog boxes... and since there weren't multiple ports available on this machine, it caused a logic error for which there was no error checking...?

anyway, this may provide a starting point for anyone else who experiences similar stuttering and lockup symptoms.

The project, by the way, was a cover of the Elvin Bishop song "Fooled around and fell in love", and I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out... it's all real band except for some extensive piano-roll entered MIDI to get the signature passages, and my own guitar playing. If we ever get bitCONCERT.com off the ground, it will be one of the first songs I play there.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
OK, we've ruled out the possibility that my underwear somehow caused it...

Well Pat, don't dismiss that possibility too quickly. How often do you make that change?

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,637
Posts735,320
Members38,524
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR
38,524 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 182