Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#244970 - 03/22/14 10:34 AM [User Showcase] Wildflower (in collaboration with Martin Jones)
aleck rand Offline
Expert

BIAB styles:....CHAMBER1, ARPORK44 (Classical)

RealTracks:.....BASSES 1825, 1827 (Pop Modern Groove)

RealDrums:.....BOSSALEWIS^01

Performers:....Martin Jones (lead vocal)
.......................Aleck Rand (arrangement, production, rhythm and .......................lead guitars)
.......................Lance and the Dark (backup vocal harmonies)

See additional SoundCloud notes about this 70's blockbuster. Martin and I hope that you enjoy it.

WILDFLOWER
https://soundcloud.com/aleckrand/wildflower-in-collaboration
Sweetwater Creation Station. BIAB 2018, Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio, Izotope Nektar 2, Ozone 8, KEYBOARDS: Kurzweil Artis 7, Crumar MOJO, Hammond XK-3, BASSES (fretted & fretless by Ibanez, LTD, Warwick. GUITARS by Guild, Gretsch, Ibanez, Eastwood (12 string)

#245042 - 03/22/14 11:05 PM [User Showcase] Re: Wildflower (in collaboration with Martin Jones) [Re: aleck rand]
Loc: Kentucky
PgFantastic Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kentucky
Very well done, Thanks for sharing!

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.

#245103 - 03/23/14 03:56 PM [User Showcase] Re: Wildflower (in collaboration with Martin Jones) [Re: aleck rand]
Loc: Helsinki, Finland
dani48 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Hi, Dean and Martin !:))

I liked this tune as well
as the performance !
Congrats on a superb collab !:))

Cheers
Dani

#245160 - 03/24/14 09:19 AM [User Showcase] Re: Wildflower (in collaboration with Martin Jones) [Re: dani48]
aleck rand Offline
Expert

Hi Dani, my friend,

Thank you for such a wonderful compliment. No doubt about it, it's a great tune. I'm hoping we at least matched, as a total performance, the definitive version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9bJJNUdXEs although the lead singer, Donny Gerrard, can't be topped. That dude can sang, bubba!

One thing we couldn't handle was the key, originally Eb. Gerrard has a big but sweet top end and neither Martin nor I can get up there, let alone with the expressive power that Gerrard has. So we took it down to D. But, I think Martin did as good a job as anyone could, including the O'Jays who also did a version.

Dean

#245163 - 03/24/14 09:23 AM [User Showcase] Re: Wildflower (in collaboration with Martin Jones) [Re: aleck rand]
aleck rand Offline
Expert

Thanks so much PGF.
Originally Posted By: aleck rand
I'm hoping we at least matched, as a total performance, the definitive version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9bJJNUdXEs
Dean

#245182 - 03/24/14 12:21 PM [User Showcase] Re: Wildflower (in collaboration with Martin Jones) [Re: aleck rand]
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi Dean,

great playing and beautiful voice.
I like the harmonies.
But I'm sorry to say: you spoilt it with the mix.
It's like a four track production from the
early 60s where you find the drums on the right and the
organ on the left. And the vocals seem to be recorded
in a bathroom. Just IMHO.
This is a good mix https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtivKC-7-Oc

Guenter

#245455 - 03/26/14 11:26 PM [User Showcase] Re: Wildflower (in collaboration with Martin Jones) [Re: boehm]
aleck rand Offline
Expert

Hi Guenter,

I count you, along with Floyd, Noel96, MarioD and others, as one of my most perceptive and constructive critics. I agree with you, but I am not as skilled at mixing as you are. I listened to the track you suggested and it is certainly at one or two levels of professionalism higher than what Martin and I did. The sound is so pure, accurate and clear. The question is: How to get there?

More than ever, I'm convinced that the performers, arrangers, players, etc. should not be doing the mixing but, rather, a third independent party who really knows his/her stuff in this specialized area.

Thank you for these insights.

Dean

#245512 - 03/27/14 12:41 PM [User Showcase] Re: Wildflower (in collaboration with Martin Jones) [Re: aleck rand]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Dean,

Some very tasty guitar in there. Guenter already hit on the drum placement (they need to be centered) and the guitar would be good slide over some (to the right). Martin did a fine job singing. Lance and the boys did some fine harmonies... a beautiful song, of course...

floyd

#245514 - 03/27/14 01:12 PM [User Showcase] Re: Wildflower (in collaboration with Martin Jones) [Re: floyd jane]
aleck rand Offline
Expert

Hey Floyd,

Thanks so much; I was hoping you'd chime in with some concrete suggestions - I'm messing around with it now and will implement your recommendations on pan settings. I know that part of the problem is the rendering into SoundCloud. Something did not go right and the fidelity isn't there. I'm checking alternatives.

Dean

#245551 - 03/27/14 05:13 PM [User Showcase] Re: Wildflower (in collaboration with Martin Jones) [Re: aleck rand]
Loc: uk
tributeman Offline
Journeyman

Loc: uk
I love the song but as already been mentioned its not a great mix..I would certainly have a redo Im sure with all the input it will improve... the song is worth it Frankie
windows 7 Ultimate
yamaha rev 500 effects
tacam DP-24 DAW
Samson Resolv NF monitors
Yamaha PSR-620 Keyboard
Fender semi accoustic guitar

#245567 - 03/27/14 07:06 PM [User Showcase] Re: Wildflower (in collaboration with Martin Jones) [Re: tributeman]
aleck rand Offline
Expert

Hey Frankie - thanks for backing up the previous opinions. It's been done. It's better ... I hope. If you can, let me know.

Dean Clark (aka Aleck Rand)

#245568 - 03/27/14 07:14 PM [User Showcase] Re: Wildflower (in collaboration with Martin Jones) [Re: aleck rand]
aleck rand Offline
Expert

Following the recommendations of Forum members - now with Mike (aka CubanPete) joining the list of most preceptive and helpful critics - yet a new mix of Wildflower is available by clicking on the link above, or below. This tries to take some of the reverb off Martin's voice.

The constructive advice has been invaluable. Thank you all, even if I'm never able to haul this fish in.
Originally Posted By: aleck rand
BIAB styles:....CHAMBER1, ARPORK44 (Classical)

RealTracks:.....BASSES 1825, 1827 (Pop Modern Groove)

RealDrums:.....BOSSALEWIS^01

Performers:....Martin Jones (lead vocal)
.......................Aleck Rand (arrangement, production, rhythm and .......................lead guitars)
.......................Lance and the Dark (backup vocal harmonies)

See additional SoundCloud notes about this 70's blockbuster. Martin and I hope that you enjoy it.

WILDFLOWER
https://soundcloud.com/aleckrand/wildflower-in-collaboration

Edited by aleck rand (03/28/14 05:52 PM)
Sweetwater Creation Station. BIAB 2018, Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio, Izotope Nektar 2, Ozone 8, KEYBOARDS: Kurzweil Artis 7, Crumar MOJO, Hammond XK-3, BASSES (fretted & fretless by Ibanez, LTD, Warwick. GUITARS by Guild, Gretsch, Ibanez, Eastwood (12 string)

#245577 - 03/27/14 09:16 PM [User Showcase] Re: Wildflower (in collaboration with Martin Jones) [Re: aleck rand]
Loc: Florida, USA
cubanpete Offline
Expert

Loc: Florida, USA
Hi Dean, when it comes to one of your productions one can help it but listen to it. And as with most of them this one is no disappointment, but I have to agree that the voice maybe has a little too much reverb in it, and the drums as well IMHO. Overall a very enjoyable piece.

Regards

Mike B.

#245592 - 03/28/14 04:20 AM [User Showcase] Re: Wildflower (in collaboration with Martin Jones) [Re: aleck rand]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hi Dean,

This is such a great song and I really like the feeling you've created in the arrangement. You're an awesome musician! I also have to say that Martin's singing rings with sincerity and overflows with competence (as do your guitars!). "Top notch" is a worthy and applicable phrase to use.

Lastly, I like the effect you created with the reverb/delay on the vocals. It made me think of a sultry outdoor setting in the tropics smile As I listened, though, I found myself pondering what Mike (above) wrote and I wondered how the song would sound with the vocals made less wet than they presently are. I simply pass that on for what it's worth.

As always, I leave you song feeling inspired with ideas. Thank you.

All the best,
Noel

#245684 - 03/28/14 05:56 PM [User Showcase] Re: Wildflower (in collaboration with Martin Jones) [Re: cubanpete]
aleck rand Offline
Expert

Mike,

You're right. I've tried to take off some of the 'verb off Martin's voice. I hope you see this message and can check out the new mix.

Thanks for your help.

Dean

#245703 - 03/28/14 09:13 PM [User Showcase] Re: Wildflower (in collaboration with Martin Jones) [Re: aleck rand]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Love it!! Always loved this song, but never knew who wrote or sang it. Vocalist here does a great job with it!! Love the guitar too!! Keep 'em coming!! Take care. Greg

#245745 - 03/29/14 12:50 PM [User Showcase] Re: Wildflower (in collaboration with Martin Jones) [Re: Greg Johnson]
aleck rand Offline
Expert

Greg,

I think I FINALLY got Martin Jones' voice out of the closet AND out of the subway, i.e., I think I got the reverb right in this last mix.

I'll tell you, your kind remarks really help after all the brain wracking.

Dean

#245762 - 03/29/14 03:12 PM [User Showcase] Re: Wildflower (in collaboration with Martin Jones) [Re: aleck rand]
Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
Hi Dean...

I've been away from the site for over a week. What a nice way to get back!

I didn't hear the original mix, but this one sounds pretty decent to me. Martin did a fabulous vocal for you and the guitar work is super! This is a terrific song. As always, we never fell disappointed when we click onto one of your songs...always a treat!

You mentioned Soundcloud's rendering. We have an account there but almost never use it. One of the reasons is what you said...the rendering sometim3es gets a little muddled. But, the most significant problem we've had is it's a nightmare to get the songs to play. We can most other folks' songs to play but our don't half the time. We've tinkered with out browser settings, taken the advice of the Soundcloud folks and still have the same problems. We use Soundclick or our own site.

Anyway, we truly enjoyed our listen! Best to ya...

Al & Di

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#245838 - 03/30/14 07:59 AM [User Showcase] Re: Wildflower (in collaboration with Martin Jones) [Re: aleck rand]
olemon Offline
Journeyman

I certainly enjoyed it.

#245873 - 03/30/14 01:32 PM [User Showcase] Re: Wildflower (in collaboration with Martin Jones) [Re: Al-David]
aleck rand Offline
Expert

Thank you folks.

I feel somewhat vindicated in learning that you've had your problems with SoundCloud as well. And I'm glad you mentioned SoundClick, a site I'm not familiar with. It sounds like an alternative.

It's good that you didn't hear the original mixes. It was as though Martin's voice was a moving target - moving between singing in a closet or singing in a train station.

Valuable to know that you find the mix acceptable now.

Dean

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
How-to Video: Section Text labels and Lyrics

Check out our special YouTube Channel, PG Music Inc. Support Videos, which is where we share videos our support team makes at the request of a customer, or to help out an existing customer issue.

The latest video, Band-in-a-Box How to: Section Text labels and Lyrics quickly walks you through section text labels and lyrics in Band-in-a-Box for Windows! Watch now...

Want to see a specific video? Share your request here.

#TipTuesday - Band-in-a-Box® Patch Updates

We never stop here at PG Music, so make sure that you check in on your installation of Band-in-a-Box® occasionally - we frequently release free patch updates to enhance existing versions, and fix 'bugs' reported by program users.

Windows program updates can be found here. We have a separate page for Mac updates, here.

You can also setup Band-in-a-Box® to check for updates automatically! Head to the Preferences window in the program, and select "Automatically check for updates every [__] days" (choose your number).

Not sure which "build" you have? Help | About... will bring up a window that will show your exact version number!

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 - Xtra Styles PAK 9 & Loops-with-Style PAK 2 Bundle!

Have you heard? We have NEW Band-in-a-Box Add-ons!

Xtra Styles PAK 9 and Loops-with-Style PAK 2 will SUPERCHARGE your Band-in-a-Box® 2020 UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition!

200 NEW RealStyles have been added with Xtra Styles PAK 9 - 50 Rock-Pop, 50 Jazz, 50 Country, and 50 Folk & Beyond 2!

Loops-with-Style PAK 2 includes 100 NEW Loops and 50 NEW styles, and adds 2 new genres to our Loops-with-Style collection: gospel and funk!

Bundle both the Xtra Styles PAK 9 and Loops-with-Style PAK 2 into one convenient purchase, only $48 until June 30th! Click here to choose your purchase.

Mac user? Click here for your order links.

RealBand 2020 for Windows Updated Harmonies Feature!

The latest RealBand 2020 Update includes enhancements to the harmonies feature, improvements for audio recording, and more!

Click here to review and download this free update patch (build 4).

Video: Band-in-a-Box® - Xtra Styles PAK 9 Overview & Demos

Xtra Styles PAK 9 includes 200 NEW RealStyles for Rock-Pop, Jazz, Country, and Folk & Beyond!

There are 50 new RealStyles for each genre, with MultiStyles included in each genre too!

Learn more about loading and using Xtra Styles PAK 9 in Band-in-a-Box® 2020 and listen to the demos for the 200 new RealStyles in Xtra Styles PAK 9 with our latest video: Band-in-a-Box® - Xtra Styles PAK 9: Overview & Demos.

Add Xtra Styles PAK 9 to your band for just $29 until June 30th! Order here.

Windows user? Click here for Windows purchase links and details.

PowerTracks Pro Audio 2020 Updated!

PowerTracks Pro Audio 2020 has been updated with a small Free Update Patch that can be downloaded here.

Video: Band-in-a-Box® - Loops-with-Style PAK 2 Overview & Demos

Loops-with-Style PAK 2 is packed with 100 NEW Loops & 50 NEW Styles, including new gospel & folk categories!

Use these new Styles and Loops directly in your Band-in-a-Box® songs to access all their B substyle loops, or load these acidized loops directly into your DAW that supports acid info!

See how easy it is to load and use these Loops in Band-in-a-Box® 2020 and listen to the demos for these new Loops & Styles when you watch our latest video: Band-in-a-Box® - Loops-with-Style PAK 2 Overview & Demos.

Add Loops-with-Style PAK 2 today for just $19! Learn more and purchase here.

Haven't purchased Loops-with-Styles yet? Get the entire collection for only $29 when you bundle Loops-with-Style PAK 1 & Loops-with-Style PAK 2 for only $29! That's 100 Styles and 200 Loops for Band-in-a-Box® for just $29! Order now.

Mac user? Click here for Mac purchase links and details.

Forum Stats
32236 Members
65 Forums
64447 Topics
546504 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
HMP, RookAG, vertoe, copcoteraelena, DeeGreen

32235 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
MarioD 215
VideoTrack 162