Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#244970 - 03/22/14 10:34 AM [User Showcase] Wildflower (in collaboration with Martin Jones)
aleck rand Offline
Expert

BIAB styles:....CHAMBER1, ARPORK44 (Classical)

RealTracks:.....BASSES 1825, 1827 (Pop Modern Groove)

RealDrums:.....BOSSALEWIS^01

Performers:....Martin Jones (lead vocal)
.......................Aleck Rand (arrangement, production, rhythm and .......................lead guitars)
.......................Lance and the Dark (backup vocal harmonies)

See additional SoundCloud notes about this 70's blockbuster. Martin and I hope that you enjoy it.

WILDFLOWER
https://soundcloud.com/aleckrand/wildflower-in-collaboration
Sweetwater Creation Station. BIAB 2018, Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio, Izotope Nektar 2, Ozone 8, KEYBOARDS: Kurzweil Artis 7, Crumar MOJO, Hammond XK-3, BASSES (fretted & fretless by Ibanez, LTD, Warwick. GUITARS by Guild, Gretsch, Ibanez, Eastwood (12 string)

#245042 - 03/22/14 11:05 PM [User Showcase] Re: Wildflower (in collaboration with Martin Jones) [Re: aleck rand]
Loc: Kentucky
PgFantastic Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kentucky
Very well done, Thanks for sharing!

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.

#245103 - 03/23/14 03:56 PM [User Showcase] Re: Wildflower (in collaboration with Martin Jones) [Re: aleck rand]
Loc: Helsinki, Finland
dani48 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Hi, Dean and Martin !:))

I liked this tune as well
as the performance !
Congrats on a superb collab !:))

Cheers
Dani

#245160 - 03/24/14 09:19 AM [User Showcase] Re: Wildflower (in collaboration with Martin Jones) [Re: dani48]
aleck rand Offline
Expert

Hi Dani, my friend,

Thank you for such a wonderful compliment. No doubt about it, it's a great tune. I'm hoping we at least matched, as a total performance, the definitive version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9bJJNUdXEs although the lead singer, Donny Gerrard, can't be topped. That dude can sang, bubba!

One thing we couldn't handle was the key, originally Eb. Gerrard has a big but sweet top end and neither Martin nor I can get up there, let alone with the expressive power that Gerrard has. So we took it down to D. But, I think Martin did as good a job as anyone could, including the O'Jays who also did a version.

Dean

#245163 - 03/24/14 09:23 AM [User Showcase] Re: Wildflower (in collaboration with Martin Jones) [Re: aleck rand]
aleck rand Offline
Expert

Thanks so much PGF.
Originally Posted By: aleck rand
I'm hoping we at least matched, as a total performance, the definitive version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9bJJNUdXEs
Dean

#245182 - 03/24/14 12:21 PM [User Showcase] Re: Wildflower (in collaboration with Martin Jones) [Re: aleck rand]
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi Dean,

great playing and beautiful voice.
I like the harmonies.
But I'm sorry to say: you spoilt it with the mix.
It's like a four track production from the
early 60s where you find the drums on the right and the
organ on the left. And the vocals seem to be recorded
in a bathroom. Just IMHO.
This is a good mix https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtivKC-7-Oc

Guenter

#245455 - 03/26/14 11:26 PM [User Showcase] Re: Wildflower (in collaboration with Martin Jones) [Re: boehm]
aleck rand Offline
Expert

Hi Guenter,

I count you, along with Floyd, Noel96, MarioD and others, as one of my most perceptive and constructive critics. I agree with you, but I am not as skilled at mixing as you are. I listened to the track you suggested and it is certainly at one or two levels of professionalism higher than what Martin and I did. The sound is so pure, accurate and clear. The question is: How to get there?

More than ever, I'm convinced that the performers, arrangers, players, etc. should not be doing the mixing but, rather, a third independent party who really knows his/her stuff in this specialized area.

Thank you for these insights.

Dean

#245512 - 03/27/14 12:41 PM [User Showcase] Re: Wildflower (in collaboration with Martin Jones) [Re: aleck rand]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Dean,

Some very tasty guitar in there. Guenter already hit on the drum placement (they need to be centered) and the guitar would be good slide over some (to the right). Martin did a fine job singing. Lance and the boys did some fine harmonies... a beautiful song, of course...

floyd

#245514 - 03/27/14 01:12 PM [User Showcase] Re: Wildflower (in collaboration with Martin Jones) [Re: floyd jane]
aleck rand Offline
Expert

Hey Floyd,

Thanks so much; I was hoping you'd chime in with some concrete suggestions - I'm messing around with it now and will implement your recommendations on pan settings. I know that part of the problem is the rendering into SoundCloud. Something did not go right and the fidelity isn't there. I'm checking alternatives.

Dean

#245551 - 03/27/14 05:13 PM [User Showcase] Re: Wildflower (in collaboration with Martin Jones) [Re: aleck rand]
Loc: uk
tributeman Offline
Journeyman

Loc: uk
I love the song but as already been mentioned its not a great mix..I would certainly have a redo Im sure with all the input it will improve... the song is worth it Frankie
windows 7 Ultimate
yamaha rev 500 effects
tacam DP-24 DAW
Samson Resolv NF monitors
Yamaha PSR-620 Keyboard
Fender semi accoustic guitar

#245567 - 03/27/14 07:06 PM [User Showcase] Re: Wildflower (in collaboration with Martin Jones) [Re: tributeman]
aleck rand Offline
Expert

Hey Frankie - thanks for backing up the previous opinions. It's been done. It's better ... I hope. If you can, let me know.

Dean Clark (aka Aleck Rand)

#245568 - 03/27/14 07:14 PM [User Showcase] Re: Wildflower (in collaboration with Martin Jones) [Re: aleck rand]
aleck rand Offline
Expert

Following the recommendations of Forum members - now with Mike (aka CubanPete) joining the list of most preceptive and helpful critics - yet a new mix of Wildflower is available by clicking on the link above, or below. This tries to take some of the reverb off Martin's voice.

The constructive advice has been invaluable. Thank you all, even if I'm never able to haul this fish in.
Originally Posted By: aleck rand
BIAB styles:....CHAMBER1, ARPORK44 (Classical)

RealTracks:.....BASSES 1825, 1827 (Pop Modern Groove)

RealDrums:.....BOSSALEWIS^01

Performers:....Martin Jones (lead vocal)
.......................Aleck Rand (arrangement, production, rhythm and .......................lead guitars)
.......................Lance and the Dark (backup vocal harmonies)

See additional SoundCloud notes about this 70's blockbuster. Martin and I hope that you enjoy it.

WILDFLOWER
https://soundcloud.com/aleckrand/wildflower-in-collaboration

Edited by aleck rand (03/28/14 05:52 PM)
Sweetwater Creation Station. BIAB 2018, Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio, Izotope Nektar 2, Ozone 8, KEYBOARDS: Kurzweil Artis 7, Crumar MOJO, Hammond XK-3, BASSES (fretted & fretless by Ibanez, LTD, Warwick. GUITARS by Guild, Gretsch, Ibanez, Eastwood (12 string)

#245577 - 03/27/14 09:16 PM [User Showcase] Re: Wildflower (in collaboration with Martin Jones) [Re: aleck rand]
Loc: Florida, USA
cubanpete Offline
Expert

Loc: Florida, USA
Hi Dean, when it comes to one of your productions one can help it but listen to it. And as with most of them this one is no disappointment, but I have to agree that the voice maybe has a little too much reverb in it, and the drums as well IMHO. Overall a very enjoyable piece.

Regards

Mike B.

#245592 - 03/28/14 04:20 AM [User Showcase] Re: Wildflower (in collaboration with Martin Jones) [Re: aleck rand]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hi Dean,

This is such a great song and I really like the feeling you've created in the arrangement. You're an awesome musician! I also have to say that Martin's singing rings with sincerity and overflows with competence (as do your guitars!). "Top notch" is a worthy and applicable phrase to use.

Lastly, I like the effect you created with the reverb/delay on the vocals. It made me think of a sultry outdoor setting in the tropics smile As I listened, though, I found myself pondering what Mike (above) wrote and I wondered how the song would sound with the vocals made less wet than they presently are. I simply pass that on for what it's worth.

As always, I leave you song feeling inspired with ideas. Thank you.

All the best,
Noel

#245684 - 03/28/14 05:56 PM [User Showcase] Re: Wildflower (in collaboration with Martin Jones) [Re: cubanpete]
aleck rand Offline
Expert

Mike,

You're right. I've tried to take off some of the 'verb off Martin's voice. I hope you see this message and can check out the new mix.

Thanks for your help.

Dean

#245703 - 03/28/14 09:13 PM [User Showcase] Re: Wildflower (in collaboration with Martin Jones) [Re: aleck rand]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Love it!! Always loved this song, but never knew who wrote or sang it. Vocalist here does a great job with it!! Love the guitar too!! Keep 'em coming!! Take care. Greg

#245745 - 03/29/14 12:50 PM [User Showcase] Re: Wildflower (in collaboration with Martin Jones) [Re: Greg Johnson]
aleck rand Offline
Expert

Greg,

I think I FINALLY got Martin Jones' voice out of the closet AND out of the subway, i.e., I think I got the reverb right in this last mix.

I'll tell you, your kind remarks really help after all the brain wracking.

Dean

#245762 - 03/29/14 03:12 PM [User Showcase] Re: Wildflower (in collaboration with Martin Jones) [Re: aleck rand]
Loc: Alabama, USA
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alabama, USA
Hi Dean...

I've been away from the site for over a week. What a nice way to get back!

I didn't hear the original mix, but this one sounds pretty decent to me. Martin did a fabulous vocal for you and the guitar work is super! This is a terrific song. As always, we never fell disappointed when we click onto one of your songs...always a treat!

You mentioned Soundcloud's rendering. We have an account there but almost never use it. One of the reasons is what you said...the rendering sometim3es gets a little muddled. But, the most significant problem we've had is it's a nightmare to get the songs to play. We can most other folks' songs to play but our don't half the time. We've tinkered with out browser settings, taken the advice of the Soundcloud folks and still have the same problems. We use Soundclick or our own site.

Anyway, we truly enjoyed our listen! Best to ya...

Al & Di

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#245838 - 03/30/14 07:59 AM [User Showcase] Re: Wildflower (in collaboration with Martin Jones) [Re: aleck rand]
olemon Offline
Journeyman

I certainly enjoyed it.

#245873 - 03/30/14 01:32 PM [User Showcase] Re: Wildflower (in collaboration with Martin Jones) [Re: Al-David]
aleck rand Offline
Expert

Thank you folks.

I feel somewhat vindicated in learning that you've had your problems with SoundCloud as well. And I'm glad you mentioned SoundClick, a site I'm not familiar with. It sounds like an alternative.

It's good that you didn't hear the original mixes. It was as though Martin's voice was a moving target - moving between singing in a closet or singing in a train station.

Valuable to know that you find the mix acceptable now.

Dean

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac Build 315 Update Available!

Attention Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac users - a new FREE patch update (build 315) is available!
Review details and download here

Summary of changes for build 315 (Nov 15, 2019):

Fixed: Exporting MusicXML files was not working.
Fixed: When using "Auto-Hand split Piano track" feature, exported MIDI files contain wrong note durations on the Piano track.
Fixed: Note-based lyrics were not included when exporting MIDI files.
Fixed: User should be prompted to save their song when exiting, if they had added or removed plugins.
Fixed: The Record Audio dialog always says “Track type is Stereo” even if the track type is mono.
Fixed: The [Audio Options…] button in the Record Audio dialog was launching the Audio Devices dialog instead of the Audio Settings dialog.
Fixed: Loops dialog title bar displays wrong track name.
Fixed: Large patch map files are not completely loaded (were limited to 1985 patches).
Fixed: Notation context menu > Edit Section Text… did not do anything.
Fixed: Notation context menu > Insert Section Text… did not do anything.

My Favorite Things - Nudge Chords in Band-in-a-Box®

Love this time saving feature.

Ever fill in the chordsheet fully or for part of song, and then discover you want to add or take away an extra beat or more somewhere in the chordsheet.

Nudge chords (melody) from the Edit Menu is your friend here, the dialog will give you all the options either to remove or add beats where its needed.

Love it.
-musiclover

To learn more about this feature, read the "Advanced Chord Entry and Editing Features" topic when you click here.

Band-in-a-Box® Video Testimonial & Demo - Rodney Gene Junior

Band-in-a-Box® endorsing artist Rodney Gene Junior has shared his latest User Testimonial and Demo with us, and we LOVE it! Not only does Rodney share with the viewer his enthusiasm for our program, he also shares a few examples of how he uses Band-in-a-Box® too - make sure you check it out!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Testimonial Video - Peter Torpey

Check out our latest Band-in-a-Box video testimonial, which takes using the program to a whole new level! Peter Torpey is a long time program user who has developed a way to work with the program, even though he's visually impaired - and he wants to make sure that others can too!
Click here to watch!

Learn more about Peter here.

View all our video testimonials here.

Want to make your own Testimonial? We'd love to see it! There's information on our Video Testimonials offer here.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac Upgrade & Full Manuals Available!
Happy National Saxophone Day!

Today's the day we say "Happy Birthday" to Adolphe Sax, the creator of the Saxophone!
(Adolphe was born November 6, 1814 - 32 years later he patended his saxophone creation!)

We have 35 different RealTracks Sets available for Band-in-a-Box® that include Saxophone RealTracks !

RealTracks Set 304: Blues Shuffle Horn Section
RealTracks Set 294: Big Band "Crooner Shout" Soloist!
RealTracks Set 266: Jazz & Funk Potpourri
RealTracks Set 265: Crooner Ballad Big Band!
RealTracks Set 264: Crooner Bossa Big Band!
RealTracks Set 244: Jazz Background Horns with Jack Stafford
RealTracks Set 236: Cocktail Jazz Horns!
RealTracks Set 220: Flute and Saxes with Jack Stafford
RealTracks Set 217: Jazz Pollwinners 8 – Jazz Waltz Sax Solos
RealTracks Set 216: Jazz Pollwinners 7 – Swingin' Sax & Guitar Soloing
RealTracks Set 215: Jazz Pollwinners 6 – Sax & Guitar Soloing, Ballads & Bossas
RealTracks Set 209: Rockin' Blues Baritone Sax with Gary Smulyan
RealTracks Set 207: Funky Horns
RealTracks Set 194: Jazz Pollwinners 1: Great Saxes: Phil Woods & Gary
RealTracks Set 189: Blues Baritone Sax with Gary Smulyan
RealTracks Set 188: Slow Background Pop Horn Section
RealTracks Set 183: Country Soloists: Sax and More!
RealTracks Set 176: R&B Horns
RealTracks Set 175: Texas Blues-Rock: Smokin' Blues Sax
RealTracks Set 160: Jazz-Funk Movin'
RealTracks Set 145: Jazz-Funk Breezy
RealTracks Set 127: Groovin' Jazz Funk
RealTracks Set 91: Smooth Jazz - Sax Soloing
RealTracks Set 58: Jazz and Pop Waltzes
RealTracks Set 57: Jazz Swing, Laid Back
RealTracks Set 55: Fast Bebop Jazz
RealTracks Set 54: Slow Jazz Ballad
RealTracks Set 52: Fast Samba
RealTracks Set 51: Slow Bossas and More
RealTracks Set 32: Blues
RealTracks Set 19: Jazz Ballad
RealTracks Set 17: Bossa
RealTracks Set 15: Mainstream Swing
RealTracks Set 13: Older Jazz Swing Soloists
RealTracks Set 7: Acoustic Jazz Bass and Rock Sax

Which one is your favorite?

Check our our Saxophonist programs for Windows:
The Jazz Saxophonist
The Rock Saxophonist

Our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac Special Ends October 31st

Our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac special ENDS TODAY!!!
Order before 11:59PM PDT to save UP TO 50% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac Upgrade... and receive a FREE Bonus PAK full of great Add-ons!

It's a GREAT time to order your upgrade to Band-in-a-Box 2019 for Mac, which is compatible with the just-released macOS Catalina - upgrades start at just $49!

We've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Mac 2019 packages, but for more even more Add-ons (including 40 Unreleased RealTracks) upgrade it to the 2019 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available.

Forum Stats
30395 Members
62 Forums
60614 Topics
512704 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
PEP1, ichavis, Hooman, gilou7, WaltDan

30395 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 200
Noel96 179