You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#246547 - 04/04/14 11:15 PM [User Showcase] Linda
Loc: South Carolina
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

This is my first attempt with an original song produced with BIAB. I wrote the song in 1970 and recorded it in 1975. I attempted to duplicate the song using all real tracks as closely to the original as possible.
Here is the song memo:

https://soundcloud.com/charlie-fogle/linda

Title: Linda
Key=E , Tempo 108, Length (m:s)=3:06
4 bar intro, 76 bar chorus, from bar 5 to bar 80. Repeat x1 chorus
Style is RB_WILSN.STY (R&B Wilsn - Bluesy R&B Groove)
Style MIDI Instruments are : Finger Electric Bass (34), Acoustic Piano (1),
RealTracks in song: 381:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Syncopated Sugar Ev 102
RealTracks in song: 1756:Pedal Steel, Rhythm Pop8ths Ev 110
RealTracks in song: 797:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm SouthernSnappyClean Ev 090
RealTracks in song: 2001:Pedal Steel, Soloist CountryPaul Ev 085
MIDI Drums :1 Standard Drum Kit (1)

RealDrums will be substituted :NashvilleShuffle^13-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

#246560 - 04/05/14 08:27 AM [User Showcase] Re: Linda [Re: Charlie Fogle]
Loc: Helsinki, Finland
dani48 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Helsinki, Finland

Hi, Charlie !

I liked your tune very much
and especially your maj 9 th or was it
a 7 th at "Lindaaa" .....I just
love those chords !:))

Cheers
Dani

#246568 - 04/05/14 09:53 AM [User Showcase] Re: Linda [Re: dani48]
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Hi Dani, thanks for listening. On the BIAB chart, each bar containing the Linda lyric reads (d d6) followed in the next bar by (d d6 dmaj7). Good ear.

I was attempting to duplicate as closely as possible the guitar riff from the original recording and on occasion in the 2nd bar, to do so, I reversed the 2nd bar d6, dmaj7 to force BIAB to track the riff more accurately.

Regards,

Charlie

#246659 - 04/06/14 10:03 AM [User Showcase] Re: Linda [Re: Charlie Fogle]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Charlie - nice "first attempt". The instrumentation is well done - good mix. The lead vocal is a bit "up front" - you might want to have that sit back into the mix just a little more. A little more reverb will sometimes accomplish that - or a couple of dB less volume (or both). The vocal is nicely done - and the harmonies are terrific.

Welcome aboard!

floyd

#246675 - 04/06/14 11:53 AM [User Showcase] Re: Linda [Re: Charlie Fogle]
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi Charlie,

nice first post.
I like the harmonies.
I can only support Floyd on the mix.
Enjoyable listen though.

Guenter

#246895 - 04/09/14 12:36 AM [User Showcase] Re: Linda [Re: Charlie Fogle]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hi Charlie,

It's great to see you posting in Users Showcase.

"The groove you have happening in "Linda" is very infectious. It's the style of beat/rhythm that really appeals to me and that I feel very comfortable with.

I found this very easy to listen and it sounded really good to my ears.

It was a pleasure to sit back and to be entertained!
Noel

#246901 - 04/09/14 07:32 AM [User Showcase] Re: Linda [Re: Charlie Fogle]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

nice first song. Looks like you'll be "one to watch" for new stuff.

I agree with the comments by Floyd on the vox not setting in the mix properly. Skills get better, the more you work and mix.

Every now and then I like to go back to some of the old stuff I was writing around that same time period..... I start working them up, and then generally change my mind....

I enjoyed that song.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.

As the sword chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer.

#246977 - 04/10/14 02:01 PM [User Showcase] Re: Linda [Re: Charlie Fogle]
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Thanks to all for the reviews and comments. Constructive criticism is always welcome. I apologize for the poor vocal singing and mix on this one. I rushed through everything and posted without critical review of the song as I allowed my focus to be more on learning the BIAB song structure process & experimenting with styles, and generating tracks, then setting up and learning how to get a song from home computer to Soundcloud to here. I really appreciate all of your kind comments and encouragement.

Regards to all,

Charlie

#247028 - 04/11/14 10:06 AM [User Showcase] Re: Linda [Re: Charlie Fogle]
Blues1952 Offline
Enthusiast

Very nice song. I like the vocals - a little processing will bring out some depth to your voice.

#247172 - 04/13/14 06:29 PM [User Showcase] Re: Linda [Re: Charlie Fogle]
Loc: Canyon Lake, TX
Steve Young Offline
Expert

Loc: Canyon Lake, TX
Charlie,

Welcome to the forum! Nice first submission! I agree with the comments on the mix, but this is a nice song, a great start with Band In A Box.

Looking forward to hearing more.

Steve

#248224 - 04/27/14 09:18 AM [User Showcase] Re: Linda [Re: Charlie Fogle]
olemon Offline
Journeyman

I agree that the instrumentation and RT's are just right to my earls, smooth, well mixed. I also have to be careful about having vocals too up front:) This is a sweet song and a terrific submission. Keep them coming.
https://soundcloud.com/scott-h-olson

#248230 - 04/27/14 10:20 AM [User Showcase] Re: Linda [Re: olemon]
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Thanks to all for your kind comments.

Edited by c_fogle (04/27/14 09:09 PM)

#248238 - 04/27/14 11:27 AM [User Showcase] Re: Linda [Re: Charlie Fogle]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

+1 to what they all said Charlie. If you don't have it yet check out the trial demo for Ozone from Izotope.

Josie

#248244 - 04/27/14 01:21 PM [User Showcase] Re: Linda [Re: Charlie Fogle]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Really nice! You have a great believable quality to your voice. This is a really pleasant listen!! Keep it up. Take care. Greg

#248272 - 04/27/14 09:15 PM [User Showcase] Re: Linda [Re: Sundance]
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Thanks for you comments and recommendation. Ozone must be a good program, it is the same one recommended to me by my brother recently. I took the opportunity to visit your Soundcloud site and I really love your vocals and production. I especially enjoyed I Can't Be Your Friend and She's In Love. I look forward to hearing more from you.

#248273 - 04/27/14 09:21 PM [User Showcase] Re: Linda [Re: Greg Johnson]
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Thanks Greg for your comments. I was not the lead vocalist on the original recording and having heard both versions, the lead and backup leave a lot to be desired with my attempt at doing both so I have nowhere to go from here but up. LOL I'm glad you enjoyed it. It's exciting to get comments from folks who I've been listening to and admiring their work for months.

#248280 - 04/28/14 06:19 AM [User Showcase] Re: Linda [Re: Charlie Fogle]
Loc: New Zealand
RichMac Offline
Expert

Loc: New Zealand
Nice enjoyable pop song. Flows easily. Cheers.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® for Mac Patch Updates Ready! (2019 & 2020)

We've JUST released FREE Updates for existing Band-in-a-Box® for Mac 2019 and 2020 program users!

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Update - Build 407
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Update - Build 323

What do these include?

Summary of changes for Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Update - Build 407: (get it here)
Fixed: RealDrums Quick List was empty if launched from main toolbar.
Improved: Bootup time is faster.
Fixed: It is not possible to type ^ (caret symbol for pushes) in chordsheet if using an Italian keyboard layout.
Fixed: Opening songs from older versions might misinterpret song title as ?.
Fixed: Buttons in Custom toolbar are not draggable.
Fixed: The time signature button on the main toolbar did not do anything.
Fixed: A maximum of 1990 MIDI events are loaded from a song file into the Melody or Soloist track.
Fixed: RealDrums Quick List menu item did not do anything.
Fixed: Find a Sub for RealDrums menu item did not do anything.
Fixed: Various problems with localized versions.
Fixed: Some style demos for the newest RealTracks would not play.
Fixed: Song title will be changed to ? when re-saving if it previously contained international characters like é or ©.

DAW Plugin 2.5.18
Fixed: "Open Recent" opened file chooser dialog
Fixed: Unfold feature not working with some songs
Fixed: Choruses not resetting when playback is stopped in DAW
Fixed: Chord superscripts
Fixed: Clicking zoom many times will crash standalone plugin
Fixed: Undo removes all chords after opening a song
Fixed: Buzzing sound in Studio One
Fixed: Plugin determining chord accidentals now matches main program
Fixed: Removed alert menu when sync playing tracks that are not up-to-date (generated).
Fixed: Cancelling generate made song lose "dirty" state
Fixed: All selected tracks should drag from the plugin
Fixed: Shortcut file feature not working always working. Support was also added for pgshortc.txt files
Fixed: Double clicking grey area in chord sheet started playback
Fixed: Bar highlighting skipped last chorus when the start bar is greater than 1
Fixed: Right-click on bar should first launch popup menu
Fixed: Double clicking anywhere on a track should open its picker
Added: About to File Menu
Added: "year" to plugin name
Fixed: remove sync tempo button if already synced
Fixed: improve 2 finger scroll (too fast)

Summary of changes for Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Update - Build 323: (get it here)
Fixed: Bootup time is faster.
Fixed: It is not possible to type ^ (caret symbol for pushes) in chordsheet if using an Italian keyboard layout.
Fixed: Opening songs from older versions might misinterpret song title as ?.
Fixed: The time signature button on the main toolbar did not do anything.
Fixed: A maximum of 1990 MIDI events are loaded from a song file into the Melody or Soloist track.
Fixed: Various problems with localized versions.

#TBT Band-in-a-Box® 2017

Three years ago we were just rounding up our BETA testers to help finish up the testing of our Band-in-a-Box® 2017 for Mac!

With that version, we redesigned the main screen GUI, added support for popular .SFZ sound format as well as PG Music’s Hi-Q sounds (sforzando SFZ Synth.), added Natural Arrangements options and Hi-Q Guitar RealCharts, applied many, many, many enhancements to the existing powerful program features, and more! Read all about Band-in-a-Box® 2017 here.

Now, three years later, we're thrilled to say that we're already done BETA testing, and weeks into the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac release! Of course, that means we're having a SALE on Upgrade packages, but only until April 30th!

Band-in-a-Box® - Trombone RealTracks!

Happy National Trombone Players Day!

To all the trombone players out there - this is a day to celebrate you (no joke...)! Not a trombone player? Good news - if you have the Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK, UltraPAK+ or Audiophile Edition, you have a two AMAZING trombone players in your band already!

Dennis Esson:
RealTracks Set 144: Dixieland – Fast Soloists
RealTracks Set 178: Dixieland - Medium Soloists

Ian McDougall:
RealTracks Set 13: Older Jazz Swing Soloists
RealTracks Set 15: Mainstream Swing
RealTracks Set 17: Bossa
RealTracks Set 19: Jazz Ballad

Welcome to the Team David!

We are thrilled to say that we've added David to our Customer Service Team here at PG Music!

You may have already noticed him - he's already made his appearance here on the Forums, chiming in with assistance and User Showcase Song Feedback.

Welcome to the team David!

Updated Song Titles Browser in Band-in-a-Box® 2020!

If you're looking for a Band-in-a-Box® Style in the feel of a familiar/popular song title, then the Song Titles Browser option in the Band-in-a-Box® StylePicker is the perfect feature for you!

With Band-in-a-Box® 2020, we’ve added 3,400 more song titles including requests from users, so there are now 14,000 titles to search from!

Just type in a familiar song title or artist name - once you have found the song, press the [OK - Find Matching Styles] button. This will take you to the StylePicker window with styles that best match the tempo, feel, and genre of the selected song title.

Didn't find the song you were searching for? Post your title request to our Wishlist forum: Songs to add to Band-in-a-Box Titles database - we think that the 3,400 new titles added with Version 2020 is proof that we're paying attention!

Learn more about the different features of the Band-in-a-Box® StylePicker here.

SongPicker Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac!

The Band-in-a-Box® SongPicker has been enhanced with our newest 2020 version!

The SongPicker now builds faster for large song lists (>30K and up to 60,000 songs). The [Song] button (or the [Open] button) now has 3 additional menu items to launch the SongPicker.

- Open SongPicker in Current Folder: This opens the SongPicker in the current folder of the last loaded song.
- Open SongPicker in Home Folder: This opens the SongPicker in the home folder, which is Applications/Band-in-a-Box/MySongs or as set in the SongPicker.
- Open SongPicker in Favorite Folder: This launches the Favorite Folder dialog which allows you to choose any previously used folder where a song was loaded from, and then open the SongPicker in that folder.

In the SongPicker, there is a new “Open in Home” option. If this is enabled, the SongPicker will always open in the home folder instead of the current folder when you press the default [Song] button to open the SongPicker.

Searching for songs matching a chord progression or melody has been enhanced. There are three new checkboxes: "Key must match exactly," "Chord Extension must match exactly", and "Time Signature must match."

Click here to jump to the SongPicker subject in our New Features video to learn more. (32:11)

(read more about this feature in our Band-in-a-Box 2020 for Mac Online Upgrade Manual.)

We Have a $0 Down Easy Payment Plan!

Did you know... you don't have to pay for your Band-in-a-Box® (or other PG Music Inc. products) purchase right away? We offer an Easy Payment Plan! With our $0 down payment option, purchase today and don't pay for 30 days! The total of your invoice will be split equally, and charged every 30 days for 4 months after the initial purchase date. You can enjoy your software, with four convenient monthly payments for Visa, MasterCard, and American Express, with no added interest charges or service fees!

To choose this option, add your purchase to the Shopping Cart, and begin the checkout process. Step 3 of this process allows you to choose between:
[]Pay full amount now.
[]Easy Payment Plan. Pay $0 now, and four monthly payments, starting one month from now.

If you choose the Easy Payment Plan, simply agree to the RECURRING BILLING / EASY PAYMENT PLAN TERMS AND CONDITIONS and your order will be processed right away! That's right - choosing this payment option won't delay you receiving your order - even if you choose to have your order shipped, you'll still have the download links available to you - there's no need to wait!

Forum Stats
31576 Members
65 Forums
63334 Topics
536003 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
Wilfer French, George Martin, Gregm, Chromatic, DHLucas

31575 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Icelander 207
Matt Finley 183