Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
OIL ON THE WATER

A song I wrote about the BP oil spill from the Deepwater horizion oil rig and the events surrounding it.

Guitar is live most other tracks are BB/RB.

Enjoy

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Nice work Herb!! I'm guessing that's the "Dire" guitar patch. Very cool feel-a little Neil Young in there! Keep it up. Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Like this Herb. A working man/industrial type song with a dark atmosphere. Cheers.

Last edited by RichMac; 04/20/14 02:48 PM.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Really like that guitar picking Herb, was that you or Dire?

Josie

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks for listening. I had to listen carefully to this on my mp3 player to answer the questions accurately.

Drums and bass as well as dobro are from BB/RB

The acoustic guitar is me strumming in the background. I also play the electric guitar with the lead parts. So yeah, all the guitars in this is me playing them. Mark K from Dire Straits was a picker who had a major influence on my playing style. Notice my forum name? I try.

Perhaps I should consider making some of those there things called "User Tracks" with my lead picking...... in this style...???? Actually that's been something I've had on the back burner for some time..... it's more of a matter of getting the time to sit down and do it.

Glad you liked it.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 04/21/14 05:09 AM.

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Herb,

great guitar playing.
Nice production.

Guenter

User Showcase
Expert
Expert

Nicely sung and very well played. Yes you're wearing your DS influence on your sleeve but I see no harm in that. If there's one of your various crafts that would need developing then in my view it would be that of lyricist.

User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
Nice production, the bottom end is filled out quite nicely:)

DA...

Hp Z Workstation - Akai MPK 49 - Intimate Headphone Listening http://soundcloud.com/digital-angel
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Excellent song. The oil spill was an eye opener for everyone. Can't forget these catastrophe's and allow complacency to set in. Excellent sing and playing....

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Herb, Good story song on an important subject. Very good vocal and the mix is spot on. Nice picking also. Tom

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I didn't know what aspect of that event was worse.... the initial disaster and spill, or the politics played regarding the bungled cleanup attempt.

It was the frustration of seeing the politicians use that disaster for their own political agendas rather than placing politics aside, working as public servants, and getting the situation under control and cleaned up as quickly as possible, that resulted in the concept to write this song.

People on the streets simply wanted it stopped and cleaned up while the pols were playing games and letting the oil flow unchecked for weeks.

So I did what I could and wrote a song about it.

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Herb,

Sounds good. Well mixed. I think you would have been better off without the Mark Knopfler imitation - it is such a distinctive style you can't hear it without thinking "he's doing Mark Knopfler.." the doubled solo and the guitar fills after that are not derivative - so they aren't distracting from your message - so I think they work better for the song.

There is a real Neil Young quality to the lyric - stuff pulled from several different directions and those kind of shotgun accusations without real explanations so the listener has to fill things in or make up their own story - worked for Neil... a lot of interesting images along the way..

A good flow to the sound (although that last chord cuts kind of abruptly)

floyd

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Floyd, thanks.

I didn't really set out to imitate MK. It may have turned out that way but that wasn't part of the plan. I was simply trying to create a part on the guitar that would fit and be a bit haunting in it's feel. Hence, the reverse bends in a few places.

I read an interview with MK in GP mag. A comment he made really stuck with me. Something to the effect that it's not so much what you play, although that is important, but what you don't play, that really sets your playing apart and imparts feel into the music. That has stuck with me and I try to be tasty with the licks as opposed to packing as many notes into a given limited time as is possible....although I do admire the pickers who can shred the fretboard.

I was into the twin leads thing when I recorded this.... still love a sweet twin, but have backed off a bit.

Yeah... I was just trying to tell the story as I saw it from my POV.

Thanks for the listen.

BTW: Be watching, I'm writing a new one now, lots of cool things in it (licks on tele and taylor) and some production things that you don't hear very often in this forum.... I tried a few new things and they are working pretty nicely..... Still actually in the writing stages, but I have a mock up of the song done... but I'm not releasing anything until the writing is done and it's properly recorded. It could be epic..... or not. We'll see.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 04/23/14 05:11 AM.

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I like that MK quote. My favorite bluegrass rhythm player once told me "it took me 2 years to learn all the runs and 20 years to learn when not to do them."

It was sad watching the spill fiasco play out in the news. I finally gave up on the talking heads and started reading local papers on the net -- real folks' stories of how they were affected, etc. That really brought it home. And, I suppose the environmental damage will take decades to play out.

I enjoyed the song and agree with floyd re the Neal Young vibe. Great mix too!

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Herb,
Great song! Thanks for writing it and performing it so well.
This hits pretty close to home for me because where I work. Let's just say the story your telling is right on the money.

SD

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
That one hits close to home here too. I was working on a levee project just below New Orleans when this happened. (As fate would have it, that community, Braithwaite, was completely flooded by Hurricane Isaac in 2012.)

Later on in 2010 I was involved in surveying some marsh and coastal areas, oyster beds, etc. Also started to pen a song, but never got far.

I enjoyed this all around. Another heavy topic you tackled.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Herb !:))

This was really nice !
Everything seemed to
function so smooth on
this track !:)) Just great !:))
I liked your vocals best !:))

Cheers
Dani

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Video - Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 includes built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API, allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper tracks, including tiny lossless files of instructions which play audio instantly from disk.

We demonstrate the new Reaper features in the Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin 6.0 in our video, Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features for Reaper

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - Update Today!

Already grabbed your copy of Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®? Head to our Support Page to download build 803 and update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 installation with the latest version developed by our team!

Learn more & download now.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!

Read all about the 50+ newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, or you can watch our video "Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®: Over 50 New Features and Enhancements!" to see it in action!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

The new Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac® adds over 20 new features!

We show them off in our video: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6 for Mac®: New Features

The Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Free Bonus PAK!

Along with the 50+ new features added with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, we've also released an awesome collection of new Add-ons! On top of the 222 new RealTracks (+50 bonus RealTracks), we've also released new MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, Playable RealTracks Set 3, Playable RealDrums Set 2, and two new sets of "RealDrums Stems."

Order Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac during our special (which ends July 31st) and you'll receive a Free Bonus PAK that includes a lot of these new Add-ons:
- MIDI Styles Set 88: "Look Ma! More MIDI 11: SynthMaster"
- Instrumental Studies Set 20: New Orleans Piano
- MIDI SuperTracks Set 40: More SynthMaster
- MIDI SuperTracks Set 43: Rock & Pop Keys
- Artist Performance Set 15: Songs with Vocals volume 5
- Playable RealTracks Set 3
- Playable RealDrums Set 2
- SynthMaster Sounds and Styles, with audio demos
- RealCombos 2024 Booster PAK:
*For Pro customers, this includes 35 new RealTracks and 58 new RealStyles.
*For MegaPAK customers, this includes 25 new RealTracks and 45 new RealStyles.
*For UltraPAK customers, this includes 28 new RealStyles.

- RealDrums Stems Set 6: More Pop, Rock & Country

Want even more new Add-ons? Boost your Free Bonus PAK to a 2024 49-PAK for just $49 and add even more new Add-ons to your collection:
- 50 Bonus Unreleased RealTracks & RealDrums
- MIDI Styles Set 89: "Look Ma! More MIDI 12: Funk, Jazz & Blues Keys"
- Instrumental Studies Set 21: '80s Hard Rock Guitar
- MIDI SuperTracks Set 41: Jazz Comping & Soloing Piano
- MIDI SuperTracks Set 42: Soul & New Orleans Keys
- Artist Performance Set 16: Songs with Vocals volume 6
- RealDrums Stems Set 5: Jazz, Latin, Funk & World

Listen to Demos of the Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK: https://youtu.be/ZezLjinyb-4

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Video - Boot Camp: Working with the Newest Features!

Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Mac includes over 50 new features!

Watch our Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Boot Camp: Working with the Newest Features video, and follow along as we demonstrate how to create a new song from scratch using some of the major new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, like the Chord Progression Builder, the new MultiPicker Library Window, and the new Tracks Window!

Watch: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Boot Camp: Working with the Newest Features

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® Videos: One-Stop Shopping!

With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac®, we're adding new videos to our YouTube channel. We'll also post them here when they are published so that you can easily find all of our Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® videos in one place!

The Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac videos released as-of June 28, 2024 are:

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - Everything you need to know in under 8 minutes!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - The New Tracks Window Explained

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - RealCombos Booster PAK Styles Demo

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - 49-PAK Overview

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Mac® - 222 New RealTracks Overview

Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics82,382
Posts743,947
Members38,761
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members