Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#249213 05/08/14 05:23 AM
Off-Topic
furry Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Just wondering how many members on here used the cb radio ?
I loved it and made many friends worldwide. Only used it in the car and had a cobra 148 gtldx MK2 with a 100w burner tucked under my seat. My main call sign was Jolly roger 1281. Although I did use an alfa tango for a couple of years.
Spoke to 50 out of the 52 states in the USA, all states in Canada, and managed to get through to King Hussain of Jordan, though was drowned out by more high powered stations which was so damned frustrating.
All in all some great fun was had on the way to gigs

furry #249239 05/08/14 06:58 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, I had a CB but only used it in the car for emergencies.

I can tell you why you couldn't reach more than 50 states in the USA...

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
furry #249245 05/08/14 07:45 AM
Off-Topic
furry Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Go on then Matt, I know there's a horribly silly reason grin

furry #249249 05/08/14 09:19 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Well, OK. There are only 50 states in the USA.

But maybe you are including Washington, DC and Puerto Rico in your count to make 52?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
furry #249253 05/08/14 09:37 AM
Off-Topic
furry Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
oooooops blush blush blush blush blush

furry #249254 05/08/14 09:55 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
50?? You actually count Alaska and Hawaii? LOL!!!

Man, it stinks to be this old. I remember when there were only 48. And when Hawaii became a state, I actually thought that Hawaii was somehow going to be physically moved and attached to the west coast.

I didn't get smart until later in life. grin

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
furry #249269 05/08/14 02:07 PM
Off-Topic
furry Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I did include those Eddie. ( Blushes and waits for floor to swallow ) blush

furry #249270 05/08/14 02:31 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Graham, I'd certainly muff it on UK geography. I recently questioned why ROG, in Kent, Kent couldn't just pop over and catch Hayley Oliver's gigs at Dancing Dog Pub, also in Kent, until I learned it was 150 miles from him!

furry #249274 05/08/14 04:17 PM
Off-Topic
furry Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Yeah Don, folk think Scotland can be toured in a day, how wrong they are.

furry #249415 05/10/14 12:25 PM
Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
I was really big in CB in the late 60's- early 70's. Went by the call 'Satellite Man'. I enjoyed modification work on early models of various radios (to learn about electronics for educational purposes only and only keyed transmitters into dummy loads). As the CB craze took off, many CB radios were modified by manufacturers to the CB bands and CB power requirements from existing commercial models to meet the demand for CB radios. I even recall having to get a FCC license.

Pretty easy for a kid to reverse the modification and get more output. Sometimes just clipping or replacing some diodes and resisters to get around 10 watts.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
furry #249483 05/11/14 06:26 AM
Off-Topic
furry Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I gave up on fm after a few weeks and bought an ssb set. In the UK we were plagued by foul mouthed kids & DJs when rigs became too cheap. 1st rig was an Amstrad which was quickly dumped when I bought the Cobra grin

furry #249485 05/11/14 06:28 AM
Off-Topic
furry Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
By the way I use Furry as my screen name on here as Furry Monster was my FM handle laugh

furry #249582 05/11/14 08:28 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
>>>...Yeah Don, folk think Scotland can be toured in a day, how wrong they are...>>>

I am under the impression of an enormous difference between the north of Scotland and the South. How I would love to get over there to experience it for myself...!

Flatfoot sez: Call me when 'Talent-in-a-Box' is ready to ship! -- [8{>

Got some tunes on You Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/flatfoot50
My BiaB lesson site:
http://jdwolfe0.wixsite.com/learnbiab
furry #249592 05/12/14 02:04 AM
Off-Topic
furry Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
just under 370 miles from the English border to The Northernmost point. 175 miles to the Shetland Islands making a total of almost 600 miles

furry #249597 05/12/14 05:11 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I think you missed 7 states...at least according to our dear leader.

OK to the topic...

CB radio... I was in that back in the 70's when it was very popular. It was the equivalent of the chat rooms and forum sites we now use for social media gatherings.

Any time day or night you could hit channel 22 and give a shout and someone would be there. Every now and then, we'd have an "eyeball" session and meet for coffee. One guy in the group, called himself ranger, had a 500w rig with some directional beams and a moon raker for locals on 5w.... I recall one night listening to a conversation between him and a skip-talker in Nova Scotia. I heard both sides for the 10 minutes the skip was favorable. None of the locals on our end could hit this guy with our portables. When I first moved to this house, the neighbor on the corner had a linear rig and a 50' tower. His son would get on there and key up and I could hear him on my TV.

I still have 2 radios but rarely turn them on. One is a cheap RS 40 ch model and the other is a Tiger something or other that is a flat out talking radio. One night coming home from a gig at 1:30 am I heard two guys talking and they sounded local. Nice 5x5 signal. I waited for a lull in the conversation and jumped in... one of them responded to me. We talked for a few minutes and asked where in Western Wilson co they lived..... turned out they were 30 miles to my south and we were talking like they were 3 miles away.

Eventually, when the FCC removed the license requirements for CB... they had lost total control over the spectrum anyway, it finally died off. Now it's back to truckers and other small groups of folks.... the family radio walkie talkies gave a whole new batch of channels and they talked further for hand helds than the CD walkie-talkies.

They were fun. Now, though, with cell phones, no one uses radio except for the hobbyists and the serious ones of those folks are on ham.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Guitarhacker #249627 05/12/14 09:29 AM
Off-Topic
furry Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Yeah cb WAS fun. I stayed with a couple in Belgium I spoke to when I went over to gig there. What a nice couple, met some of the other Belgians I spoke to as well.
Used to chat regularly to a guy in Jamaica. 1st time we spoke I was on the ferry going over the the island of Skye ( Lovely old Scottish song called the Skye Boat Song ) Met him in person a few years later.
Got threatened by an Italian that day as I was bleeding all over him he said the mafia was going to shoot me if I didn't go off air. I was in the car for pitys sake grin grin grin
Made a nice change for ME to annoy one of the Italians grin grin

furry #249655 05/12/14 01:22 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I think some of the foreign countries don't have the govt oversight of the FCC so running larger power amps and beams isn't the problem for them as it is here.... you gotta watch out for the feds when you put on your boots.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
furry #249661 05/12/14 02:29 PM
Off-Topic
furry Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
We had rules in the UK But we generally got left alone using the illegal SSB rigs as long as we behaved ourselves LOL

furry #249676 05/12/14 05:46 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I had a guy with a 1000 watt linear and beam antenna live in the same apartment complex I lived at. Every time he keyed the mic his voice would bleed into my stereo set, television and tape deck. Other apartment residents experienced similar issues so the apartment manager told him to turn the linear off or he would have to move. The guy actually got some kind of court order that prevented the apartment from evicting him.

Long story short, I stuck a straight pin into his antenna lead causing the linear amp to blow the next time he keyed the mic. The guy moved the following weekend.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
furry #249687 05/12/14 08:16 PM
Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
I Furry, I've had many of the same experiences on radio, except it has been as a ham since 1967.

I did condesend to what we called the "chicken band" when we took two cars on a cross country trip from Michigan to California. We hooked up with a 19 year old trucker whose handle was "The Screaming Demon, as in The screamin demon told you that.

He had a fuzz buster and we followed him from all across N. Texas and stopped had had a bite to eat in Tucumcari New Mexico.

Those were the days, eh?

Don S.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,715
Posts736,367
Members38,553
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
BabzColl, bluejaffa, SLM, Ricki Susic, kcowmusic
38,552 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 181
rsdean 115
DC Ron 107
Noel96 82
dcuny 76
WaoBand 71
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.