Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#25138 06/02/09 12:40 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I know that PG Music recently started bundling "Tutorial Volumes" for certain "Packages". This is a step in the right direction, but there's a long way to go. I think that there are a lot of us out here who would be willing to pay for organized sets of tutorials that we could use via a master index or whatever. I realized that it's not PG Music's fault that some of us are pretty dumb about the sound stuff not to mention the complexities of the main programs. However, I personally know some damned good musicians who want nothing to do with BIAB because they said it's too complicated. I try to tell them that, if I can learn some of it, so can they, but they just say, "Who's got the time?" I only agree with them to a certain extent. If PG Music had some folks who could put a video instruction book together, complete with lessons, I think that there's a very definite market for it. Even organizing the existing stuff would be a big help. Yes, I would be willing to pay for a learning cd. I've gotten a lot of help from kind folks here on these forums, but I don't feel "right" about flooding them with questions that I'm sure are very simplistic. I will admit that my method of researching something (going straight to the index) may be a part of my own undoing.

Stan

Cornet Curmudgeon
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Addendum: I've been reading the manuals and learning a lot. They, too, could stand some revision in terms of a more comprehensive index and placing all like items together. This is also true for PowerTracks. I'm trying not to sound critical here. It's hard to keep up with all the technology advances each year. There must be some word processing software that can help with updating the help manuals annually. Might be in a .pdf file which could be downloaded free or for a fee. There are a lot of different places to look for help for a particular subject. I just think there has to be a better way, FWIW.

Stan

Cornet Curmudgeon
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
And I have always maintained that a comprehensive index in the printed manuals, duplicated in the online versions with hyperlinks (instead of having to use the cumbersome "Find" function in Adobe Reader or equivalent), would go a long way toward letting more of us get more out of the programs. The information is usually there, but it is damnably difficult to find. The indices of my past versions of BIAB are scribbled full of references absent from the book as delivered.

I further respectfully suggest that these be created by someone not presently connected with PG Music. Those who have been around an app for long often lose sight of the fact that not everyone knows what may seem stupid-simple to developers and programmers (and even beta testers).

A disinterested professional whose primary experience lies in doing nothing but creating tables of contents and indices would be best. They exist, they're good at what they do, and it would make the depth of this wonderful program more accessible to the beginning or average user.

Once underway, treat such an index as you would any beta version. Turn it over to the users to "break", point out what's missing, what could be better organized, and so on. THEN print--yup, ink on paper, old school--the books. PLEASE print the books.

The same thing applies to the tutorials. Turn production of them over to professionals. You give them the information; let them make it presentable.

Imagine the missionary fervor of your present user base if all of a sudden they were able to find information on their own instead of having to ask the Same. Damn. Questions. over and over on the Bulletin Board. Imagine the joy that new users would find, instead of the frustration which more of them than you know are experiencing now. Happy customers equals repeat sales and great word of mouth creates new customers.

Richard

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
As much as I love the program - it has moved well beyond user friendly and intuitive. The program looks formidable from the opening GUI. I've followed along from the 90s and sometimes I can't find the answer I am looking for. I would even settle for being able to find out what certain BIAB operations cannot do. A good reference manual does need to be created. Lord knows the main stumbling areas are sitting right there in the forums.

Big +1

Ian
My "Original Tunes" Site
My gene pool needs more chlorine.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Richard and Ian. You have excellent comments. I would add that the paper version should be spiral bound as the other manuals currently are. The current knowledge base has a wealth of info, but finding it is very cumbersome and you can spend a ton of time just to discover that the answer is just not there. Today I was trying to do a style change at bar. It just wouldn't happen. I must have read the Help over 5 times. In desperation, I posted a que. on it. While waiting for an answer, I discovered that you have to put the number of beats in the first box for the style change to take effect. A "simple steps" example would work for me such as: 1. Enter number of beats in box. (2) Click on .sty button. (3) Select desired style.....etc.. The tutorials are okay if I watch them 5-8 times. Just put all the tutorials in one place rather than scattered.

I know at least 3 other people who like the concept of BIAB but don't have the time to learn it. Maybe a student/Beginner version with an option to upgrade? Just my 4 cents worth (inflation, you know).

Stan

Cornet Curmudgeon
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
The common denominator seems to be that new users "IF" they buy the program or maybe just download the demo, which is basically just a player, is that they find the program too involved and feel like the learning curve is too steep to spend the time on. They have no problem with the price in most cases, its the time and frustration they assume they will have in the learning process.

The current tutorials are a great sales tool, and are somewhat instructional as a good overview of the possibilities of the programs. In reality, most tutorials are not really tutorials at all. George wixon has some of the best information on using BIAB, and of course the celebrated mixing tutorials of our own Ray Thigpen are very clear and easily understandable. Georges info can be found here:

www.gwixon.com

Rays files have already been posted numerous times.

This applies to "ALL" PG music programs. Once the word gets out about the lower learning curve, and hopefully someday a new GUI, I think the market would beat a path to the PG door.

Last edited by toucher; 07/18/09 08:32 AM.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks Toucher, I had forgotten about George Wixon's stuff. But there you go....How many newbies know about theses sources? I agree that more simplified instruction would yield a lot more sales. Frustration is not fun, but music sure is.

Stan

Cornet Curmudgeon
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,696
Posts736,148
Members38,545
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Oraus, KlaasB, Sid S, Uncle Hemi, KWADWO FRIMPONG
38,545 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173