Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#252161 - 05/31/14 11:56 AM [User Showcase] Quite A Woman
olemon Offline
Journeyman

A song that's been on the back burner for a few years...just finished a few days ago.

One day while I was still at work, a rain storm rapidly approached. My sweetie rushed out to cover our bass boat just in time. Our friend and neighbor remarked on her quick action, which provided the spark for this country sounding tune.

https://soundcloud.com/blushasta-music/quite-a-woman

RealTracks in song:

NashvilleSwing8^1-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride
1846:Bass, Electric, CountryBoogieRootFive Sw 140
966:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm CountryBoogieGrittyMuted Sw 140
977:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm CountrySwingGritty Sw 140
1515:Guitar, Electric, Soloist CountryBrent Ev 120
2041:Guitar, Resonator, Soloist CountryRob Ev 120 (Bluesy)
615:Harmonica, Background HeeHaw Sw 165
613:Guitar, Resonator, Background Hank Sw 130

QUITE A WOMAN

Each and every morning I wake up in happiness
Can't believe she loves me it's chemistry I guess
Some kind of chain reaction where two lovin' hearts ignite
All I really know is that she's quite

Chorus

'Cause she can silence her class with just one look
Not afraid to bait her own hook
When she borrows the truck she fills the tank
Covers the boat if it looks like rain
She can sew the wings on a butterfly
Talk them apples right into the pie
That's right she's quite a woman

I could sing about those emerald eyes and ruby lips
Sexy talk sexy walk the way she swings those hips
Makes me thank my lucky stars I'm her Mr. Right
But, all I'm gonna' say is that she's quite

Repeat Chorus

Bridge

Now I don't like to sound just like
An old worn out cliché
But, I've been living on cloud nine
Since our wedding day

Repeat Chorus

Copyright © 2014 by Scott H Olson
https://soundcloud.com/scott-h-olson

#252175 - 05/31/14 01:32 PM [User Showcase] Re: Quite A Woman [Re: olemon]
Loc: South Africa
JoanneCooper Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Africa
Hi Scott.
That is a very enjoyable listen. I loved the line "not afraid to bait her own hook". A great tribute to your wife. Good job

#252210 - 05/31/14 09:32 PM [User Showcase] Re: Quite A Woman [Re: JoanneCooper]
F.M.M. Offline
Expert

hi scott great job sounded great on my system well done eric
AMD (TM) 8150 3.60 GHz Eight Core Processor 64 bit windows 10 pro 64 bit os. sound card delta 1010 pci card 500 ssd drive 3 other drives guitars 1968 les Paul Custom and Cavin ae 185 Guitar boss Gt-100 pedal Carvin SRS Studio reference series

#252222 - 05/31/14 11:21 PM [User Showcase] Re: Quite A Woman [Re: olemon]
gruverider Offline
Expert

great lyrics!!

and I really like the harmonica!

much enjoyed!

#252226 - 05/31/14 11:26 PM [User Showcase] Re: Quite A Woman [Re: olemon]
Loc: South Carolina
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
Sounded great. Well written tune.

Charlie

#252251 - 06/01/14 11:11 AM [User Showcase] Re: Quite A Woman [Re: olemon]
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi Scott,

what a nice tribute to your wife!
Very good production.

Guenter

#252259 - 06/01/14 01:57 PM [User Showcase] Re: Quite A Woman [Re: olemon]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Very cool and clever! Really creative and refreshing lyrics! Keep up the great work. Take care. Greg

#252298 - 06/01/14 08:46 PM [User Showcase] Re: Quite A Woman [Re: olemon]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Nice retro sounding old style country tune.

You have some really cool lyrical phrases in there too... sew the wings on a butterfly.... talk those apples right into a pie.... Love it!!!!

nice writing.

So... on the solo, it loses it's groove. Did you use a dobro straight pattern instead of a dobro swing? It sounds like the lead is straight and the rest of the band's swinging. Gotta watch the details.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#252315 - 06/02/14 01:55 AM [User Showcase] Re: Quite A Woman [Re: olemon]
Loc: Helsinki, Finland
dani48 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Hi, Scott !:))

I really enjoyed this !
I like the rhytm and
your way to sing this tune!:))

Cheers
Dani

#252499 - 06/03/14 08:01 AM [User Showcase] Re: Quite A Woman [Re: dani48]
olemon Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: JosieC
Hi Scott.
That is a very enjoyable listen. I loved the line "not afraid to bait her own hook". A great tribute to your wife. Good job

Originally Posted By: F.M.M.
hi scott great job sounded great on my system well done eric

Originally Posted By: gruverider
great lyrics!!

and I really like the harmonica!

much enjoyed!

Originally Posted By: c_fogle
Sounded great. Well written tune.

Charlie

Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Scott,

what a nice tribute to your wife!
Very good production.

Guenter

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Very cool and clever! Really creative and refreshing lyrics! Keep up the great work. Take care. Greg

Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Scott !:))

I really enjoyed this !
I like the rhytm and
your way to sing this tune!:))

Cheers
Dani

Thank you all for listening and for saying those nice things. I'm a songwriter first, I guess, so I'm ecstatic that you like the song!

As far as performing the song and recording it, I'm always in a rush, trying to improve there, but it's a challenge:) Thanks again.

#252501 - 06/03/14 08:22 AM [User Showcase] Re: Quite A Woman [Re: Guitarhacker]
olemon Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Nice retro sounding old style country tune.

You have some really cool lyrical phrases in there too... sew the wings on a butterfly.... talk those apples right into a pie.... Love it!!!!

nice writing.

So... on the solo, it loses it's groove. Did you use a dobro straight pattern instead of a dobro swing? It sounds like the lead is straight and the rest of the band's swinging. Gotta watch the details.

Man, I can't get away with anything around here! Just kidding.

First, I value your critiques and I'm thrilled you like the song, Herb, thank you.

On the recording.... Yeah. The sw solos I found were so Texas/Western Swing, not at all what I was after. But, the ev solos had all the cool riffs and the twang I wanted. I think my best option on this is to work out my own guitar lead and play that. As you noted, I went with some ev Brent guitar and some ev resonator to create an instrumental which is a compromise, and prolly not a real good one. The vocal could be better too. This one is a one-take I recorded to edit the RT's, kept it, and then used Nectar 2 for some harmonies. I'm planning to use Melodyne on my next projects, have been watching the tutorials, and I have some songbird friends who are going to sing harmonies on some songs too.

Thanks again for taking the time, Herb.

Scott

#252526 - 06/03/14 10:53 AM [User Showcase] Re: Quite A Woman [Re: olemon]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Scott,

A VERY solid write! Interesting and original...

Good production. Nice balance to everything (nice drums!).
Nice vocal...

Get those solos right... once again, this is too good to have anything "not quite what it should be"....

Very enjoyable.

floyd

#252528 - 06/03/14 11:28 AM [User Showcase] Re: Quite A Woman [Re: olemon]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
I'm with fj on this....the tune is well worth playing around some more with the solos. The lyric is way way too good not to. And the mix is spot on. Hey, that's the best use of an RT harp that I've heard yet!

It's really an experiential thang regarding mixing sw and ev RT's. I frequently put a swing bass on our bluegrass compositions and although the BG tracks are ev it works fine. For years I'd play a swingish walking bass with our BG band and get away with it -- or at least I think I did smile I've mixed a few sw and ev RTs other than just BG and, in general, I can feel them fighting each other or at best gently tugging -- which may work.
Our album "All Over The Map" is on Apple Music, Spotify and others.

#252549 - 06/03/14 06:13 PM [User Showcase] Re: Quite A Woman [Re: olemon]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Scott, Some great lines in this one. I may be in the minority here but I didn't like the way the verses were left hanging on the word quite. The rest of the write is very solid. The drums are sounding good. The vocal is good. The mix is good, but as others have said the solos need work. You are most definitely heading in the right direction. Keep writing! Tom

#252563 - 06/03/14 10:16 PM [User Showcase] Re: Quite A Woman [Re: olemon]
Loc: New Zealand
RichMac Offline
Expert

Loc: New Zealand
Good fun. Like the vocal and lyrics. A bit of a roger Miller sound there. Cheers.

#252601 - 06/04/14 07:43 AM [User Showcase] Re: Quite A Woman [Re: olemon]
Kemmrich Offline
Expert

real nice song and excellent performance. Good back story and lyrics, too. I am not sure if I would have noticed the solo stuff if others hadn't mentioned it above, but I guess they are right (ha, ha). Do the solos yourself if you can (or get someone else to do it).

Mighty fine line listen. You know I gotta like it since it has the word "chemistry" in there!

#252642 - 06/04/14 04:05 PM [User Showcase] Re: Quite A Woman [Re: olemon]
Sonny Ray Offline
Apprentice

Love the lilting bounce of this tune and the Tom T. Hall-like lyrics. Nice clean-sounding arrangement, and a perfect vocal.
"Talk them apples right into the pie" indeed! That's a video I'd like to see.
Thanks for posting this one.

#252695 - 06/05/14 07:37 AM [User Showcase] Re: Quite A Woman [Re: olemon]
Digital Angel Offline
Apprentice

Nice tribute to the one that sticks by us through thick and thin.

"I could sing about those emerald eyes and ruby lips
Sexy talk sexy walk the way she swings those hips."

Easy big fella stick to the script.

DA...

#252926 - 06/06/14 09:34 PM [User Showcase] Re: Quite A Woman [Re: olemon]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Scott,

Some cool lines in there, good melody and strong vocal. I also like the arrangement. The solo probably could fit tighter.

I like your song a lot.

Josie

#252927 - 06/06/14 09:40 PM [User Showcase] Re: Quite A Woman [Re: olemon]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Scott, I agree with all that's been said. All I can add is that I really like your vocal and lyrics on this one. Super job on that.

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
"Find-a-Sub" RealTracks Feature - Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows

Freshen up your arrangements using the "Find-a-Sub" RealTracks feature added with Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows! This feature will help you find replacement RealTracks to use that are the most similar in sound, feel, tempo, and time signature for your song, sorted from best-to-worst!

Watch the explanation of this new feature when you jump to the subject in our Band-in-a-Box® 2020 New Features Video - click here to watch.

Or, read a detailed explanation of this new feature here.

Find the Perfect Style for Your Song with the Song Titles Browser Feature! #TipTuesday

Use the Song Titles Browser within the StylePicker if you're wanting to create a song in the feel of your favorite tune!

Give it a try - there are OVER 10,000 titles available to search with this feature!

If you've searched for a song, and no Style is suggested, click on the [Add...] button, you'll be able to post a request to add that title here!

Learn more about this feature within the "Style suggestion" topic here.

Share your Latest Band-in-a-Box® Song! #MusicMonday

Let's hear your latest Band-in-a-Box® song! Don't be shy - post it as a reply, or head to our User Showcase Forum to share it there!

New to Band-in-a-Box® and unsure of how to get started? We have a few resources to help you out!

Forums - packed with helpful program users!
Online Manual - specifically "Chapter 2: QuickStart" (Mac users, click here.)
Support Videos - sorted for easy searching! All of these are also shared on our YouTube Channel.

Of course, you can always reach out to our team directly too! www.pgmusic.com/contact.htm

The Band-in-a-Box® 2010 "Plug-in" Mode! #TBT

Did you know... the "Plug-in" mode was first launched with the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2010 for Windows!

With the 2010 "Plug-in" mode, Band-in-a-Box® opened as a small always-on-top window, and acted as a plug-in for your favorite DAW/sequencer, so that you could Drag-and-drop MIDI and audio (WAV) tracks from Band-in-a-Box to your favorite sequencer. You could work in your favorite sequencer, type a progression in Band-in-a-Box, and then simply drag the track from Band-in-a-Box to your sequencer’s track at the desired track and bar location.

To learn more about the new features that were launched with Band-in-a-Box® 2010 for Windows, check out Band-in-a-Box® 2010 "Plug-in" mode feature highlighted in our Band-in-a-Box® 2010 New Features Video at 10:50!

The "Plug-in" mode development didn't stop there - With Band-in-a-Box® 2019 we introduced the "Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin" which now works DIRECTLY INSIDE YOUR DAW (Cakewalk, Reaper, Pro Tools, PreSonus, etc.). Learn more about this feature here.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac - No Sound with MIDI?

Have you ever experienced a No Sound issue when you're working with MIDI in Band-in-a-Box® for Mac?

We have an online tutorial that can walk you through some troubleshooting to resolve this, but why not check out our newest YouTube video instead?

Click here to watch...

Of course, you can always reach out to us directly if you're in need of assistance with the program!

The Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Feature Browser! #TipTuesday

Don't underestimate the power of the Feature Browser added with Band-in-a-Box® 2020! This is a GREAT resource when you "know that you knew a feature" but just can't quite remember how to find it!

Simply click on the [?] at the top of the program (near the Mixer on the right) to launch this feature. From there, simply type in your query, or choose from the long list that appears in the Feature Browser window. If you're typing it in, you'll see that list change to only show the results that could fit your search - once you find what you're looking for, you can read more about it when you choose [Manual], if there's a video for the feature you can choose [Video] to view it, OR - if you don't need to read about the feature and just want to USE it, choose [Do it] and you're all set!

Watch this new feature in action when you jump to the subject in our New Features video:

10:19 - New Feature - Feature Browser

Give the Gift of Music with Band-in-a-Box®!

Did you wait too long to purchase flowers, a card, or book a restaurant for Valentine's Day? Or, maybe material gifts just aren't your thing?

Why not whip together a song in Band-in-a-Box? It's as easy as typing in some chords, choosing a style, and pressing play!

Or, take it a step further with the help of the Audio Chord Wizard and our StylePicker Song Titles Browser feature!
How???
-Use the Audio Chord Wizard to analyze their favorite song and provide you with the chord progression
-Take that chord progression and start a new project in Band-in-a-Box (choose "Erase the Audio WAV file in BB" | Enable style)
-Head to the StylePicker window, search for a style for that song using the "Song Titles Browser" Feature (top right)
-Choose from the list provided
-Press Play!

Like what you hear? Save it, and viola!

Forum Stats
31260 Members
63 Forums
62551 Topics
529324 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
Sajj, PhoenixPhyre, DThor, aldosax, Ice Box

31260 Registered Users