Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
The Blues Woman

Our BIAB journey over the last two years has taken us to musical places we never dreamed of visiting. Watching Janice transform from a hard core bluegrass singer to a soulful blues and country singer has been quite the experience. And one for which we are extremely grateful to PG Music for their products and our collaborators and many friends from this community who have encouraged her to explore new musical territory.

With these changes have come some interesting reactions from our old friends who are often surprised and/or perplexed at this change in direction. I’ve attempted with this lyric, inspired by her, to reflect the journey of a woman moving from folk to blues music. To try and achieve this the song starts in the present, flashes back and then finishes again in the present.

Maybe too ambitious for me, maybe too long, maybe a strange song structure but, what the heck, I just wanted to try and tell the story.

Bud

Janice: Vocal and vocal arrangement
Bud: RT arrangement, effects, mixing and mastering
Tom Adams: Lead Guitar, vocal processing, drum processing and infinite patience in guiding me through his Ozone mastering settings.

Huge thanks to floyd for offering great input on the arrangement and mix and to Lawrence for an arrangement suggestion (to the extent that I plan an updated version).

Bass: electric blues rock 1012
Drums: Blues Shuffle
Fingerpicked Guitar: 528
Fingerpicked Guitar: 1679
Resophonic Guitar: 585
Piano: 1591
Electric Rhythm Guitar: 421

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
It's certainly interesting.... but sure ain't following the rules of the road on this one. In so many ways.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Well Bud, I'm all for experimentation when music is concern, and I think I've done that every now and then with somewhat a modest result. My point, I thought it came out very good and almost was waiting for the change, and it did happened, so IMHO you guys did good.

Mike B.

Music should be part of your life
http://www.soundclick.com/blackcatjazzcafeband
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Janice, Bud, Tom & Floyd,

Rules? In our opinion, until someone is paying us, we make the rules ... what few there are for us. We love to experiment, mixing genres, reshaping existing genres and just saying "what the hell" and do something extemporaneous just cuz we want to.

We thought this was a great listen. Bravo for a project that ended up real nice. Different? Yep, to some degree. Wrong? Not to our ears. Creative? You betcha! Bold? Yep.

Tom's guitar screams sweet and Janice's voice melts in the mic. The arrangement was bold and sweet.

Uh, we kinda liked it!!!!!!!!

Alan & Di

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Bud,
I do like the timbre of Janice's voice....
I thought that it was a bit of a weird instrument change at the words "later I found the blues", verse 3, but then the song took off,lovely build up, a bit like gently flooring the accelerator in a powerful sports car on a nice straight road,radio on loud.

Yeh BIAB is a wonderful program as it can easily take you into genres you never thought of before, it certainly changed my style of songwriting.

Rules.. MEH!! you only know what sounds good or not when you break them.
All kudos to you, Tom and floyd on this arrangement and I look forward to the revised version following Lawrence's idea.
DID I say that I like Janice's vocals?? LOL

excellent

Alyn

Last edited by gibson; 08/07/14 06:00 AM. Reason: adding a bit more
User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
Amen to those vocals. Great story, nice guitars riffing too. and once the band was all in place you guys could have kept on going and i would kept on listening. Nice.

Last edited by nobilis; 08/06/14 08:38 PM.
User Showcase
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Another great piece from ya'll; thanks for sharing!

My Tunes

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
It's certainly interesting.... but sure ain't following the rules of the road on this one. In so many ways.

Heck, we never read the rules in the first place! We're just a couple of rubes out in the provinces with some powerful software smile

Originally Posted By: cubanpete
Well Bud, I'm all for experimentation when music is concern, and I think I've done that every now and then with somewhat a modest result. My point, I thought it came out very good and almost was waiting for the change, and it did happened, so IMHO you guys did good.

Mike B.

Thanks Mike! BIAB just invites experimentation. Nothing ventured - nothing gained. Really glad it worked for you.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I kinda figured a few folks would jump on the "rules" comment.... hear me out...

Don't misunderstand my comments. I'm not down on you for your infractions of the "rules"..... I kinda figured that the rules be damned on this one.....

I do think, however, that with a bit more though, contemplation, effort, and work, it would have been possible to make the rhyme structure a bit more complete. There's always a way to make that part of a song work better. With ingenuity, everything is possible.

That's all I'm trying to say here.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 08/07/14 05:13 AM.

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Janice & Bud and all the rest of the collab,

you gave me a great listen. I like it very much how the song develops. And Janice's voice and Tommy's guitar on top!
Go on disregarding the "rules".

Guenter

User Showcase
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Janice & Bud's "Garden Party". Great way to showcase Janice's versatility and a great example of collaboration. I enjoyed this and think it is very creative.

Regards,

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

...I do think, however, that with a bit more though, contemplation, effort, and work, it would have been possible to make the rhyme structure a bit more complete. There's always a way to make that part of a song work better. With ingenuity, everything is possible....

When I finished the lyrics I felt that six verses and a bridge with an ABAB rhyme structure all the way through (28 rhymes - way way more than I've ever done before) might be interesting to some folks.

The write actually took a lot of "contemplation, effort and work." Maybe it lacked "ingenuity" which is ultimately determined by the ears of the listener...but both the effort and contemplation were assuredly there. Admittedly a thrown together write and production can be pleasing and an agonizingly long production can sound awful. What really matters is the final product which will never be pleasing to everybody.

Cheers
Bud

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud

When I finished the lyrics I felt that six verses and a bridge with an ABAB rhyme structure all the way through (28 rhymes - way way more than I've ever done before) might be interesting to some folks.

The write actually took a lot of "contemplation, effort and work." Maybe it lacked "ingenuity" which is ultimately determined by the ears of the listener...but both the effort and contemplation were assuredly there. Admittedly a thrown together write and production can be pleasing and an agonizingly long production can sound awful. What really matters is the final product which will never be pleasing to everybody.

Cheers
Bud

The rhyme structure isn't consistent with how you start in the first verse. What you set in the first verse is "usually" the pattern for the balance of the song. The rhymes should fall in the same places in the following verses.

6 verses and a bridge. The pattern is AAAABAA

V1: Cheers and Years at the end of 2&4

V2: Guys & eyes again at the end of 2&4

V3: no rhyme at all ........ something should rhyme with quickly

V4: no rhyme at all...........rhyme should have been with pocket

Bridge: No rhymes here either

V5: Sound and town BUT at the end of 1&3

V6: wrong & Along..... like v5 at the end of 1&3... you might be able to say fun & woman also rhyme as imperfect rhymes at the end of 2&4

I counted a few rhymes. Not 28.... and I looked to see where the others might be hiding. Sorry, I couldn't find them.

Guys, don't take me wrong, I'm not putting you down for writing a song with this sort of "open" structure, and it's not something to die over..... My comments were meant to say that with a little bit of effort the rhymes can be placed in the same place and the words chosen can be made to rhyme. Plenty of times I have written something that didn't work or rhyme and while I liked a specific line I had written, I really had to dig in and go deep to either rewrite that line so that it did rhyme, hence keeping the rhymes consistent or.....I had to scrap it and have another go at it.

If you are happy with the lyrics, fine.... I have no problems with that. I do not recall in former things you wrote having this sort of disparity appear between the verses where the patterns are so different. Perhaps I missed those..... perhaps not. My purpose in mentioning this is to simply point out things I see...things that are not consistent with (dare I say it again?) the rules of writing songs. Of course, you're free to break the rules as you see fit and feel.

Peace

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

.....The write actually took a lot of "contemplation, effort and work." Maybe
The rhyme structure isn't consistent with how you start in the first verse. What you set in the first verse is "usually" the pattern for the balance of the song. The rhymes should fall in the same places in the following verses.
6 verses and a bridge. The pattern is AAAABAA
V1: Cheers and Years at the end of 2&4
V2: Guys & eyes again at the end of 2&4
V3: no rhyme at all ........ something should rhyme with quickly
V4: no rhyme at all...........rhyme should have been with pocket
Bridge: No rhymes here either
V5: Sound and town BUT at the end of 1&3
V6: wrong & Along..... like v5 at the end of 1&3... you might be able to say fun & woman also rhyme as imperfect rhymes at the end of 2&4........

Hey Herb, if you can accept the concept of "near rhymes" I think you will find that lines one/three and two/four either rhyme or near rhyme for every verse and the bridge. I did that intentionally.

BTW other terms I see used for near rhymes are approximate rhyme, inexact rhyme, imperfect rhyme (as you alluded to), slant rhyme, soft rhyme, etc., and lazy rhyme smile English poets grew fond of the convention and it seems to go in and out of popularity.

For example, look again at V4 which you said had no rhymes and consider the following:

Drummer/Nighter and Pocket/Ticket

My structure for this tune was to intentionally not rhyme lines 1/2 and 3/4 but rather to rhyme lines 1/3 and 2/4

"I found a good bass man and a solid drummer
Brought in a hot guitar and we fell right in the pocket
I called the old club and got us in with a one nighter
Word was that our opening night was a hot ticket"

I feel you are viewing this from the 1/2 and 2/4 perspective. Heck, if I'm gonna break rules I might as well break whatever rules cover which lines have to be rhymed while I'm at it smile

Last edited by Janice & Bud; 08/07/14 02:55 PM.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Janice and Bud,

Great idea to do it this way, telling a story.
We like it very much especially the part where the bass, drums and guitar come in.

Regards,
R & AM

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Bud & Janice, Tom & Floyd !!!:))

Wonderful collab to achieve a masterpiece !
...and Janice´s vocal combined with Tom´s
lead guitar ........Wowowowowowowowowowo !!!:))

This is a masterpiece..............

Cheers
Dani

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hey Janice, Bud, Tom & Floyd,

Rules? In our opinion, until someone is paying us, we make the rules ... what few there are for us. We love to experiment, mixing genres, reshaping existing genres and just saying "what the hell" and do something extemporaneous just cuz we want to.

We thought this was a great listen. Bravo for a project that ended up real nice. Different? Yep, to some degree. Wrong? Not to our ears. Creative? You betcha! Bold? Yep.

Tom's guitar screams sweet and Janice's voice melts in the mic. The arrangement was bold and sweet.

Uh, we kinda liked it!!!!!!!!

Alan & Di

Thanks y'all! It was a rare attempt at a "story song" and I'm happy that you enjoyed it.

Bud

Originally Posted By: gibson
Bud,
I do like the timbre of Janice's voice....
I thought that it was a bit of a weird instrument change at the words "later I found the blues", verse 3, but then the song took off,lovely build up, a bit like gently flooring the accelerator in a powerful sports car on a nice straight road,radio on loud.

Yeh BIAB is a wonderful program as it can easily take you into genres you never thought of before, it certainly changed my style of songwriting.

Rules.. MEH!! you only know what sounds good or not when you break them.
All kudos to you, Tom and floyd on this arrangement and I look forward to the revised version following Lawrence's idea.
DID I say that I like Janice's vocals?? LOL

excellent

Alyn

Thanks Alyn, I was trying to emphasize the word blues with the intro of the reso guitar lick -- may have gotten it too hot. I'll check it. Appreciate it.

Originally Posted By: nobilis
Amen to those vocals. Great story, nice guitars riffing too. and once the band was all in place you guys could have kept on going and i would kept on listening. Nice.

Thanks! We would have liked to extended the guitar jam with the band...but since I'd gone way past the "three minute" rule I hauled it it :-)

Bud

User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Hi guys. Very cool and interesting work!! It certainly was an ambitious project and I was very tickled by the sheer creativity. As always, I'm a sucker for Tom's sweet guitar sound! Maybe the song is less universal than some, but for people who have followed this musical evolution with great interest (and I certainly am one), it was a wonderful treat. As always, Great work!! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Wow! the mix is awesome!

Janice's voice stands out and yet all of the instruments are present and accounted for.

It sounds really good. The transition to the blues part sounds very smooth now. It sounds like you did a lot of work to get it all to hold together and it does

Well done!

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: PgFantastic
Another great piece from ya'll; thanks for sharing!

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Janice & Bud and all the rest of the collab,

you gave me a great listen. I like it very much how the song develops. And Janice's voice and Tommy's guitar on top!
Go on disregarding the "rules".

Guenter

Thanks Guenter!

Bud (aka resident rule breaker)

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,550
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199