You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#261098 - 09/01/14 03:41 PM [User Showcase] A li'l swamp pop shuffle...
Loc: Louisiana
Rutherford Offline
Enthusiast

Okay... here's my second attempt at creating something in BiaB.

Please click here.

This really is some fun and, truly, inspirational software!

I've been noticing that the shuffle beat has been infiltrating practically all genres of music, from rap to hip-hop, to R&B and even country. So, I thought I'd try my hand at using this most addictive beat and wrap it around a bit of my own cultural heritage and background. I took the beat and fused (welded, perhaps) it withe a type of music that's popular in my part of the country called Swamp Pop.

Here are the BiaB settings I used...

****** Song Summary *************
Title: Gonzales Double Bump
Key=Bb , Tempo 65, Length (m:s)=3:52
Soloist track has 402 notes, Soloist harmony is < no harmony >(0)
Song is saved with bar changes for Tempo ,Volume Changes,
Style is SWAMPROK.STY (Swamp Rock -Unplugged)
Style MIDI Instruments are : Acoustic String Bass (33),
RealTracks in song: ~1039:Organ, B3, Rhythm JazzBallad Sw 060
RealTracks in song: 566:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Blues Monday Sw 065 ('A' only)
RealTracks in song: 2114:Horn Section, Background, R&B Ev16 110 (Bluesy)
RealTracks in song: 1347:Sax, Tenor, Soloist Rock Boogie Ev 160
MIDI Drums :1 Standard Drum Kit (1)
RealDrums will be substituted :HipHop: a: HipHopb: HipHop

Once the tracks were created, I exported them to Reaper where I recorded the vocal track adding a big of reverb, EQ, and echo. Finally, I took it into Audacity and trimmed out the click-track intro and used the Limiter tool to make the volume of the soft parts and the loud parts more uniform.

Here, also, are the lyrics, in case you'd like to follow along while you listen...

Down 61 passed Bayou Manchac
You need to come on down, go on and get your bags packed
The gumbo's hot, the Dixie beer’s on ice
And them Bayou ladies they all lookin’ so nice
But as sure as I'm sitting on this cypress stump
You just ain't livin' until you’ve done
The Double Bump

The Gonzales Double Bump is what the locals call it
And if you wanna learn to do it, it won't break your wallet
Yeah, without even spending you one, thin dime
I can guar-an-tee you'll pass a really good time.
So if you feel like you livin' in a cane-field rut
Pick yourself up and dust off your butt
And do the Double Bump

The clock on the wall says it’s time for the show
So if you’re ready, set, c’mon on let’s go!
Grab your best girl and your pirogue pole
Repeat after me, “Let the good times roll”.

So if you're ready bring your lady out on the dance floor
Pull her nice and close, you’ll be feeling it for sure
Sway it to the left once nice and slow
But when you sway to the right, sway it one time more
One bump to the left, two bumps to the right
Before you even know it you’ll be bumping all night
Doing the Double Bump

I hope you enjoy it. Please let me know what you think. Constructive criticism is, truly, the only way to grow, as a writer.

Edited by Rutherford (09/01/14 03:42 PM)

#261111 - 09/01/14 06:24 PM [User Showcase] Re: A li'l swamp pop shuffle... [Re: Rutherford]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Kevin,

A very interesting song and production. The horn stops are really well done. The vocal is strong! A solid mix.

I liked it. However, I couldn't help but feel that it should have been done a lot faster. So it had some real rockin' to it. The lyric suggested that as well...

You're doing some good stuff here.

floyd

#261113 - 09/01/14 06:36 PM [User Showcase] Re: A li'l swamp pop shuffle... [Re: Rutherford]
Rutherford Offline
Enthusiast

Thank you for the feedback! I do agree that, at times, it seems like the song drags a bit. I guess I was trying to keep it at the tempo of the songs that the folks down here do that particular dance to. But I'm thinking a slight deviation may be in order! *lol*

Thank you, again!

#261132 - 09/01/14 11:10 PM [User Showcase] Re: A li'l swamp pop shuffle... [Re: Rutherford]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Really well done!! Horns work perfectly. Really great vibe and delightful innuendo!! Great job! Take care. Greg

#261135 - 09/01/14 11:36 PM [User Showcase] Re: A li'l swamp pop shuffle... [Re: Rutherford]
Loc: South Carolina
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
Nice tune. The horns worked really well with the song. I did notice a significant click at the 2:50 mark you may want to fix if you do any more work on the song.

Good job on this.

Charlie

#261167 - 09/02/14 01:17 PM [User Showcase] Re: A li'l swamp pop shuffle... [Re: Rutherford]
Loc: Illinois
plish Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Illinois
Nice work! Just for my own tastes, the horns seem 'middy' and missing those highs that cut through and make horns, horns.

Also, I heard another 'click' about 10 seconds before the one noted before. It was only in one ear.

Well done!!!

#261177 - 09/02/14 02:51 PM [User Showcase] Re: A li'l swamp pop shuffle... [Re: Rutherford]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
A creative and interesting vibe indeed. Fun listen. Kudos on getting sw and ev tracks to not tug on each other. Great descriptive lyric that sets the atmosphere well.

Do I even want to know what that dance looks like? smile

#261193 - 09/02/14 05:43 PM [User Showcase] Re: A li'l swamp pop shuffle... [Re: Rutherford]
Loc: Oklahoma, USA
Don Gaynor Offline
Veteran

Loc: Oklahoma, USA
Quote:
I liked it. However, I couldn't help but feel that it should have been done a lot faster. So it had some real rockin' to it. The lyric suggested that as well...

Interesting but tended to drag and quickly diminished listener appeal. Excellent first effort, however. More please?

SoundClick: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1209254&content=music
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/donald-gaynor
BIAB 2020 w/current updates.

#261217 - 09/02/14 07:02 PM [User Showcase] Re: A li'l swamp pop shuffle... [Re: Rutherford]
Loc: Helsinki, Finland
dani48 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Hi, Kevin !:))

I liked this bump of yours really much !:))
Fun, yes, and very well performed and
mixed !:))Keep on "bumpin´" (lol) !

Regards
Dani

#261226 - 09/02/14 07:59 PM [User Showcase] Re: A li'l swamp pop shuffle... [Re: Rutherford]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Swamp Pop is a new genre for me but I really like it!

Your vocal was super strong on this and the lyrics were fantastic. I thought the tempo fit the song, especially when you sang " Pull her nice and close, you’ll be feeling it for sure Sway it to the left once nice and slow". I also thought that the horns fit the mood you were trying to set.

Great song.

Ps - I also hear those clicks. If you clear them out the song would be perfect!

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB and RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware.

#261241 - 09/02/14 10:05 PM [User Showcase] Re: A li'l swamp pop shuffle... [Re: Rutherford]
Rutherford Offline
Enthusiast

Thank you all for the great feedback! I've been playing with the tempo in BiaB, trying to see what it feels like a lot faster, a little faster, as compared to the 65 BPM I originally recorded it at. That's such a tough call. I'm not sure what those "pops" are all about but I'm gonna get Audacity after 'em to see if I can clean 'em up.

Thanks again! Y'all rock!

#261247 - 09/02/14 10:50 PM [User Showcase] Re: A li'l swamp pop shuffle... [Re: Rutherford]
PatrickH Offline
Apprentice

Yeah Rutherford, I like those horns!!!!!
Great job.

#261249 - 09/02/14 11:06 PM [User Showcase] Re: A li'l swamp pop shuffle... [Re: Rutherford]
Loc: Florida, USA
cubanpete Offline
Expert

Loc: Florida, USA
Yeah Rutherford, interesting song , love the horn stoPs. Do you care to elaborate how you built them?

Mike B.

Edited by cubanpete (09/02/14 11:06 PM)

#261282 - 09/03/14 09:28 AM [User Showcase] Re: A li'l swamp pop shuffle... [Re: Rutherford]
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi Kevin,

a fun listening. Does this dance really exist?
I'd like to know what it looks like.
Enjoyed it a lot.

Guenter

#261399 - 09/04/14 07:09 PM [User Showcase] Re: A li'l swamp pop shuffle... [Re: cubanpete]
Rutherford Offline
Enthusiast

The horn stops were pretty easy once I followed some valuable advice I got here on the forum. Basically, imagine these four measures, with each line representing a measure...

Measure 1) C
Measure 2) C..,C.. ,C..
Measure 3) C..,C.. ,C..
Measure 4) C...

Measure 1 is set to 65 BPM so you hear the whole band playing through the whole measure. The BPM on measures 2 and 3, however, are set to 130 BPM so, in time, you hear these measures twice as fast as the one before. The horn stops play on what BiaB thinks is beats 1, 2 and 4 but, to your ear, the quarter notes become eighth notes for those two measure so you get a really cool sound set of eighth note horn stop. Measure 4 is, once again set to 65 BPM and the whole "band" holds the chord for the entire four beats.

Nothing more than some really cool math at work.

Hope this helps!

PG Music News
Uncommon RealTracks Instruments for Band-in-a-Box®

Today is Uncommon Instrument Awareness Day.

Examples of "uncommon instruments" include anything from Spoons to the Wheelharp to the Singing Ringing Tree, and more!
(there's probably more instruments out there that we DON'T know than we DO know)

Although our RealTracks collection doesn't include many 'uncommon instruments', we do offer some pretty unique choices!

On top of the usual varieties we offer for Piano, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Clarinet, Bass, Tuba, Trumpet, Trombone, and more - our RealTracks library also offers a nice selection of Shakuhachi and Kalimba - there's even a Koto RealTrack included in Set 212!

Kalimba: RealTracks Set 271
Koto: RealTracks Set 212
Shakuhachi: RealTracks Sets 193 & 212

What's the most surprising RealTrack Instrument that you've come across?

Holiday Hours - Monday, August 3 (British Columbia Day)

Monday, August 3 is British Columbia Day!

Since we are located in British Columbia (Victoria, on Vancouver Island), that means it's a holiday for us! Don't worry, some of our team will still be available - our hours on Monday are 8AM-4PM PST.

Regular hours resume Tuesday, August 4. www.pgmusic.com/contact.htm

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Portuguese for Windows is Here!

Existem mais de 50 novos recursos no Band-in-a-Box® 2020! Existem aprimoramentos no RealTracks (RealTracks vocais com som mais suave, RealTracks Engrossados, Substitutos de RealTracks e MultiFrases). A maioria dos RealDrums agora possui RealCharts (com notação de bateria precisa). Há um novo navegador de artistas do RealTracks para encontrar informações/biografias/links/listas de RealTracks em todos os artistas. Um novo Navegador de recursos permite que o usuário novo ou "esquecido" encontre e use facilmente a maioria dos recursos/teclas de atalho/documentos em uma única janela. Equalizar Tempoaprimoramentos na Seleção de Músicas, baixo/bateria ou apenas bateria nas introduções automáticas, 3.400 títulos adicionados, aprimoramentos no MusicXML, visualização de guitarra para "Canhotos" e "Estudantes", aprimoramentos de arrastar e soltar, exibição de várias janelas do Interpretador de Acordes de Áudio e muito mais!

COMPRE/ATUALIZE, & BAIXE AGORA!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Mac Update Ready!

Just because Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac is here doesn't mean we've forgotten our 2019 users!

If you're still using Band-in-a-Box® 2019, make sure you download the latest patch update (b324) for an updated splash screen (macOS 10.12 and 10.13 users), smoother Song Titles dialog, access to your (purchased) RealTracks Set 328, and we've corrected the reported issue with opening songs from older versions of Band-in-a-Box in the 2019 version.

Learn more about this patch and download it here.

Review - Loops-with-Style PAK 2 for Band-in-a-Box® 2020

"Dr. Dave" Walker is at it again! You may remember his recent reviews of both Band-in-a-Box 2020 for Mac and Xtra Styles PAK 9 - now he has something to say about our Loops-with-Style PAK 2 - check it out: Click here to read...

With money being tight for most musicians, this is a wonderful gift for those on a limited budget. At $29, it offers months and years of fun and experimentation, bringing many ideas to fruition as songs with enough variation so that your audience doesn’t jump to "aw, that's a computer!" while still keeping the power of the software in your hands.
-"Dr. Dave" Walker

Thank you again Dr. Dave for the great review!

Learn more about Loops-with-Style PAKs: Windows | Mac

Band-in-a-Box® - My New Favorite Thing

Did you know we have a My Favorite Things forum? We encourage you to share your favorite features in Band-in-a-Box and RealBand there, along with what features you use the most and why - we LOVE getting feedback!

Like the latest post from Tangmo:

My New Favorite Thing - Extra Style PAK #9 with Loop Pack #2

I set up an eight bar progression with some simple pushes, shots, holds, and rests for reference. Then I started auditioning styles--Three hours later, I am invigorated, inspired, and just plain smiling big. Really CHOICE! From "down to earth" to eclectic, this is a really fun pak.

Great job, folks!

Thanks Tangmo!

Learn more about Loops-with-Style PAKs: Windows | Mac

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAKs: Windows | Mac

Refresh Your Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box 2020 to the latest build 725 for Windows today! This free update acknowledges song memo edits when saving your work, resolves step-advance within the Big Piano window, revives a killed audio track, and more!

Just like our recent Mac patch, the DAW Plugin has been updated too! We've added "insert" and "delete" options into the chord sheet context menu and addressed 20+ reported 'bugs'!

Learn more & update today!

Forum Stats
32592 Members
68 Forums
65482 Topics
555190 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
James Franco, Andyf1204, ace27, Bernieod, cuzzolin

32591 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
MarioD 188