Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#265366 - 10/12/14 03:16 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Gates of Babylon (Vocaloid) [Re: dcuny]
Loc: Iceland
Icelander Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: dcuny
I just wish there were a better male Vocaloid voice available. Working with this is getting me prepared to start working on my voice synthesis program again...
Have you considered Vocalwriter as an alternative? I don't know what it's like on Pc's, but it's quite decent on Mac.

#265375 - 10/12/14 04:50 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Gates of Babylon (Vocaloid) [Re: Icelander]
Loc: Sacramento, California
dcuny Online   content
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Icelander
Have you considered Vocalwriter as an alternative? I don't know what it's like on Pc's, but it's quite decent on Mac.

There's no PC version, and I doubt there ever will be. The application only runs on the older Mac architecture. When I contacted the company in January, I got a reply from the widow of the developer, who let me know he had died in 2009 and she was trying to find someone to sell the company to. Currently, their website seems to have gone missing.

The only other program that I've seen that uses that sort of technology is Gnuspeech, which seems to be a dead project.

I've been in contact with SoftVoice, who have a program that uses formant-synthesis (along the lines of what I've been exploring). Unfortunately, recent changes broke the singing feature. The developer has been working on other things, so he hasn't been able fix it yet. When he does, he'll let me know - I believe that might be a nice fit for BiaB.

There's a program called Virtual Singer, but it's not very intelligible.

BiaB works with Sinsy, but it generates very small rests between all syllables, so Sinsy doesn't handle words properly. Plus, Sinsy currently has a strong accent.

There is a free Vocaloid program called UTAU, but it's Japanese, and you can judge how well it sings English at this point yourself: Let It Go.

Really, having more friends who are singers is a better approach. laugh

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#265381 - 10/12/14 06:56 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Gates of Babylon (Vocaloid) [Re: dcuny]
Loc: York, England
ROG Offline
Veteran

Loc: York, England
Hi David.

I was enthralled by this track from the very start.

Strangely, I found the vocaloid performance to be engaging, or possibly even bewitching. There was something haunting and addictive about it which drew me back time and time again. The fact that it wasn't quite human, but was still beautiful, put me in mind of the Sirens, particularly during the line "covered by the salty sea".

Production, arrangement and recording were very professional and the whole project was inspired.

Looking forward to more.

ROG.

#265385 - 10/12/14 07:45 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Gates of Babylon (Vocaloid) [Re: ROG]
dcuny Online   content
Veteran

Originally Posted By: ROG
The fact that it wasn't quite human, but was still beautiful, put me in mind of the Sirens, particularly during the line "covered by the salty sea".

Thanks!

While there are things are are clearly not "human" about her singing, Avanna is my favorite Vocaloid. They've managed to keep something in the voice provider's performance that carried through, and it's very cool. I hope they continue to make progress with more realistic voices.

#265393 - 10/12/14 10:00 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Gates of Babylon (Vocaloid) [Re: dcuny]
PatrickH Offline
Apprentice

David, very nice production. I think the quality of the vocaloid blends with the tune wonderfully. The whole piece evokes fragility to me, which serves your story well.

#265397 - 10/12/14 11:32 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Gates of Babylon (Vocaloid) [Re: dcuny]
Loc: Florida
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
David, very well written. The arrangement is top notch and I love the sound of the trumpet on the leads. I also think longer more drawn out notes would be a better fit, but the sound of it is a perfect fit. I think the artificial voice is interesting but I would love to hear it sung by a human. Really nice song. Tom

#265429 - 10/13/14 01:51 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Gates of Babylon (Vocaloid) [Re: PatrickH]
dcuny Online   content
Veteran

Originally Posted By: nobilis
David, very nice production.

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: tommyad
I also think longer more drawn out notes would be a better fit...

Yeah, if I fiddle with it, I'll try to correct that.

Thanks!

#265464 - 10/14/14 12:49 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Gates of Babylon (Vocaloid) [Re: dcuny]
Icelander Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: dcuny

There is a free Vocaloid program called UTAU, but it's Japanese, and you can judge how well it sings English at this point yourself.
Really, having more friends who are singers is a better approach. laugh
Yikes! eek I see your point... but sometimes beggars can't be choosers, you know smile

p.s. And of course you knew Vocalwriter already, what was I thinking! grin

#265466 - 10/14/14 02:05 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Gates of Babylon (Vocaloid) [Re: dcuny]
dcuny Online   content
Veteran

I've posted a new version (same link), with a simplified the trumpet solo starting at 2:53. I played it live on an EWI using WIVI Band, but went back and hand-edited in some flourishes.

BiaB comes back in at 3:14, and then I crossfade back to the EWI on the last note. Once I'd tweaked the breath controller data, WIVI Band matched the timbre of the BiaB trumpet surprisingly well.

WIVI Band leaves something to be desired for woodwinds, but it certainly does nice brass. laugh

#265491 - 10/14/14 10:28 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Gates of Babylon (Vocaloid) [Re: dcuny]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

IMHO, this is a stellar presentation of
the power of today's technology in
the hands of a creative artist. All the
goodness of the production as already
been said. Suffice it to say that I have
several friends and family members
who are gonna here this.

Congrats on a fine and intriguing
production!

J&B

#266016 - 10/19/14 10:09 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Gates of Babylon (Vocaloid) [Re: dcuny]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

BTW, listening again and Janice said the lead vocal very much reminds her of the girl singer in Nickel Creek!

J&B

Pardon all the typos in previous post....

#266023 - 10/19/14 11:13 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Gates of Babylon (Vocaloid) [Re: Janice & Bud]
dcuny Online   content
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Congrats on a fine and intriguing production!

Thanks! smile

#266076 - 10/19/14 08:09 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Gates of Babylon (Vocaloid) [Re: dcuny]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
David, I will start out by saying that I am not a fan of computer generated voices. However your expertise is this area has made my head turn. You started out with super backing tracks, added Avanna the Vocaloid and if it wasn't for those computer artifacts between some of the words I would have thought this was an organic being singing! Super job on that!

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB and RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware.

#266127 - 10/20/14 02:57 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Gates of Babylon (Vocaloid) [Re: dcuny]
dcuny Online   content
Veteran

Thanks, Mario!

I don't think of this technology as replacing human performance. Rather, I think it gives people who might not have the ability to sing (or have access to singers) the ability to put together a demo that presents their ideas.

#266150 - 10/20/14 08:46 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Gates of Babylon (Vocaloid) [Re: dcuny]
Loc: South Carolina
Charlie Fogle Online   content
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
Avanna. Realistic enough to fit in the song without being a distraction, artificial enough so the non-human voice, becomes a statement in a very human song. An artificial voice telling the angst of real human hurt.

I would be reluctant to ever take Ananna completely out of the song.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Feature: Utility Tracks

Have you ever wanted to use more than 5 tracks when creating your Band-in-a-Box® song? Great news.... with the new Utility Tracks added in Band-in-a-Box® 2021, there are 16 more tracks!

These can be used for audio and/or MIDI! Generate RealTracks to the Utility Tracks where you can listen to AND edit them and view the RealCharts as MIDI. You can also record to these tracks (MIDI or audio), and import your audio for further editing or to harmonize it.

We explain all the great ways to use the Utility Tracks in this video.

Read more about this feature: Windows | Mac.

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Mac Review – Users' Dreams Come True

Read all about what "Dr. Dave" Walker thinks of his latest copy of Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Mac with his review, Band-in-a-Box for Mac 2021 – Users' Dreams Come True.

"2021 is a big leap forward to the best Band-in-a-Box for Mac yet! If you have been putting off upgrading, or even if not, NOW is the time to upgrade! And if you haven't got it yet, you owe it to yourself to get Band-in-a-Box 2021.

Maybe the most important point from all the talk about this version is that PG Music is listening to you, their customers. So if you have a feature that you really want in the program, write to them or chat from their web site. Let them know and yours just might be the next feature added."
-"Dr. Dave" Walker

Thanks again Dr. Dave for your enthusiastic feedback, we're thrilled that you love what we've done with Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Mac!

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 German for Mac is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 für Mac ist hier!

Wir waren fleißig und haben 80 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 202 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI-SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, Artist Performances, Bonus RealDrums "Singles", RealDrums Transkriptionen, MultiStyles PAK 1, Xtra Styles PAK 10 umd 11, und vieles mehr!

Was ist neu? | Paket

Band-in-a-Box 2021 for Mac Special - ENDS TODAY (July 15th)

It's the LAST DAY of our Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Mac special!

Save up to 50% on Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Mac upgrades and receive a FREE Bonus PAK, but only if you place your order before 11:59pm PDT TODAY (July 15, 2021)!

Learn more about all the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Mac at: www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.new.htm

The FREE Bonus PAK & 49-PAK are packed with some amazing Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Mac 2021 packages, but for even more Add-ons (including 40 Unreleased RealTracks) upgrade it to the 2021 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available. If you have any questions, contact us -we're here to help!

Xtra Styles PAK 11 - Special Ends on Thursday!

Our Xtra Styles PAKs Special ENDS at 11:59pm PDT on July 15th!

We think you'll love the new RealStyles and MultiStyles added with Xtra Styles PAK 11, which includes new sounds like modern reggaeton, medieval-inspired folk pop, Americana power ballad, speakeasy vocal jazz, R&B and reggae fusion, and more!

Video: Xtra Styles PAK 11 Demos for Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows

Order during our special and save 40%! During our Xtra Styles PAK 11 special (ending July 15th), all of our Xtra Styles PAKs 1-11 are on sale for just $29 each (reg. $49)! Looking for more Xtra Styles PAKs? Until July 15th, you can purchase our complete library of all 1,800+ RealStyles with the Xtra Styles PAK 1-11 Bundle for only $199 (reg. $349)! Learn more & order now.

Interested in a specific genre? These can be purchased for $15 each - pick & choose here.

NOTE: Xtra Styles PAKs require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition version 2020 or 2021. (Xtra Styles PAK 11 requires the 2021 UltraPAK/UltraPAK+/Audiophile Edition.) Xtra Styles PAKs won't work with the Pro or MegaPAK version because they need the RealTracks from the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

Learn more & listen to demos of Xtra Styles PAK 11.

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Mac Special - Ends Thursday!

It's almost over! Our Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Mac special ends this Thursday (July 15th)!

Save up to 50% on Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Mac upgrades and receive a FREE Bonus PAK, but only if you place your order before 11:59pm PDT Thursday (July 15, 2021)!

Learn more about all the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Mac at: www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.new.htm

The FREE Bonus PAK & 49-PAK are packed with some amazing Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Mac 2021 packages, but for even more Add-ons (including 40 Unreleased RealTracks) upgrade it to the 2021 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available. If you have any questions, contact us -we're here to help!

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows - 59 of Your Problems Solved!

Are you wondering what's new with Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows?

Watch our latest video, which presents a list of the 59 of Your Problems Solved with Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows.

For a written Q&A list, visit our 59 of Your Problems Solved page for Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows.

Forum Stats
34659 Members
66 Forums
70154 Topics
605194 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
RRR1955, Peter King, dan076067, GIVEMBU, Mind Muzic

34659 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
MarioD 129
Pipeline 124