Options
Index
#268473 - 11/14/14 04:02 PM [User Showcase] Quest
Loc: The Netherlands
RnAM Offline
Veteran

Hello,

This time it's my turn to post our latest song.
I used Grieg's March of the Dwarfs for it, although it is not very recognisable, because I changed quite a lot about it.
It is about the mystery of love and how we will always be looking for the gist of it.
After all it is the Quest itself that is important, not what we'll find (if we'll find anything....)

Quest

Style is _BGMEDLY.STY (Bluegrass Ev 130 Solo MultiStyle)

2024:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm CountryJohn Ev 085
2046:Piano, Acoustic, Solo-Accompaniment CountryPopJohn Ev 120
1119:Guitar, 12-String Acoustic, Strumming Ev 120
2041:Guitar, Resonator, Soloist CountryRob Ev 120 (Bluesy)
Drums: PopCalypso^4-a:Brushes Snare , b:Brushes Busy Snare

I've been looking for the answer
Tried to find it 'round every corner
Then I went through river valleys
Finally climbed every mountain
Sought it in woods and in forests
But I never found it, but I never found it

Now I've started out to search for questions
That's when I'll know
Follow trails and tracks in succession
Won't let go.....

This maze I'm in, this maze I'm in
It's a maze we're in heading for the center

Turn left, turn right, never step aside, don't look back
Either way, in you will stay, led astray, led astray
Move on, carry on, Better go along

Find the question to this answer, to this answer,
Find the question...to this answer

I've been looking for the answer
Tried to find it (a)round every corner
Then I went through river valleys
Finally climbed every mountain
Sought it in woods and in forests
But I never found it, but I never found it

Then started out to find the question
I would know
Followed trails and tracks in succession
Never let go.....

Still heading for the center

The question is will we ever know
The question is will we ever know
Love's a maze we'll always be in
Love's the maze we're in

RnAM Homepage (completely restyled)
YouTube Channel

#268476 - 11/14/14 04:38 PM [User Showcase] Re: Quest [Re: RnAM]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
R&M this is really a great song. I love that 60's vibe you have going on here. The lyrics and vocals were super and that backing tracks and mix were top notch, i.e. everything is perfect!

Great job on this!

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB and RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware.

#268482 - 11/14/14 06:00 PM [User Showcase] Re: Quest [Re: RnAM]
Loc: South Carolina
Charlie Fogle Online   content
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
Very enjoyable. Nice work on the music and the video. I always look forward to whatever journey you take us on.

Charlie

#268486 - 11/14/14 06:40 PM [User Showcase] Re: Quest [Re: RnAM]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Wow! SO much to say here!!

First of all, in case anybody didn't catch it.. this is Anne-Marie's song! Usually Rob writes the songs, and Anne-Marie contributes her beautiful voice.. but this time she wrote the song, made the video, and even laid out the melody that Rob was singing! (I'm right about all that, am I not?)

This is such an ambitious first project! Is Anne-Marie content to start out with a nice easy 3 chord progression? One with a melody that stays in a single key the whole time?? Noooooo, She jumps right in with an original adaptation of a classical piece... and not just ANY classical piece.. Grieg's March of the Dwarfs!!! Now there's a confident woman! (are you a classically trained musician by any chance? I wouldn't even know where to start with a project like this, but you NAILED it!)

Your melody is very unique, interesting and appropriate to the chords, which in itself is quite an achievement! You didn't take the easy way out in ANY aspect of this project! And the harmonies are every bit as interesting as the melody! I'm curious to know who your influence is for this style of writing?

Regarding the words: you've managed to spin a set of lyrics that are vague enough to ask questions without giving any answers... in so doing, you kept me wondering and interested through the whole song... which interestingly is exactly what the quest for love does (keeps us wondering and interested, but never quite sure)

The mixture of rhyme with free verse accented my sense of uncertainty... occasionally you incorporated rhymes, but not always... again, much like the quest for love, in which we cycle in and out of periods when we hope we've figured out the rules, only to realize we have not

(If your brain is that active, I bet you have trouble sleeping... you probably can't get your thoughts to calm down long enough to drift off!)

Then there's the choice of instruments... here's an idea.. let's see if bluegrass instruments can be made to work for a classical adaptation! AND THEY DID! (I especially liked the dobro at the end!)

And that video! Did you take the raw footage? Or is some or all of it taken from video libraries? Where EVER you got the footage, ALL of it is breathtaking! I think you did an excellent job of reinforcing your points with graphical representations of things that work as metaphor.

If this had been your 50th song, I would have been very impressed with the complexity of the project and the high degree of thought that went into every single aspect of it... but for a FIRST project... it is nothing short of amazing!

(You do realize that now you've set the bar for yourself, and you can never go backwards. Not to put on any pressure, but...) wink

Rob, you're suddenly in the same situation as all the people who collaborate with Janice. All the praise gets used up before it's your turn! wink

but seriously, that melody was extremely difficult, and you handled it easily! I winced through the whole first listen, feeling sure that somebody would choke on it, but you both cruised right through!

Man, if I had to pay for exclamation points, this review would have cost me some bucks!
If I had to leave you with a one word summary, it would be "WOW"

#268501 - 11/15/14 01:01 AM [User Showcase] Re: Quest [Re: RnAM]
Loc: wales
gibson Offline
Veteran

Loc: wales
Rob and Anne Marie

As Mario D says
Quote:
R&M this is really a great song. I love that 60's vibe you have going on here. The lyrics and vocals were super and that backing tracks and mix were top notch, i.e. everything is perfect!

Great job on this!

I can add no more.

Alyn

My story

#268524 - 11/15/14 04:46 AM [User Showcase] Re: Quest [Re: MarioD]
RnAM Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: MarioD

Great job on this!

Thanks Mario, you make me feel shy..... blush
Anne-Marie

YouTube Channel

#268525 - 11/15/14 04:47 AM [User Showcase] Re: Quest [Re: Charlie Fogle]
RnAM Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: c_fogle
Very enjoyable. Nice work on the music and the video. I always look forward to whatever journey you take us on.

Charlie

Thanks Charley, glad you like the journey!
Anne-Marie

YouTube Channel

#268528 - 11/15/14 05:54 AM [User Showcase] Re: Quest [Re: RnAM]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
This was an awesome song on two counts. The music, lyrics, playing and singing were awesome and your video was breath taking. Incredible

#268545 - 11/15/14 07:11 AM [User Showcase] Re: Quest [Re: RnAM]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Anne-Marie (& Rob)...

Interesting in so many different ways.

The lyric is well done. Focused, but with an almost "mystical whimsy" - reminded me (vaguely) of songs from early Genesis or King Crimson or Yes (my college buddies listened to them - I heard them peripherally...) The melody had a bit of flavoring of those bands as well - continually going in unexpected places. Rob's vocal makes it fit "comfortably"... (nice!)

Another interesting production, too. (the dobro was just a tad loud in phones - very slightly).

Cool video. Cool song. Cool production.

floyd

#268551 - 11/15/14 07:35 AM [User Showcase] Re: Quest [Re: RnAM]
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi Rob and Anne-Marie,

it's all been said.
I especially like the interaction between vocals and background vocals.
Enjoyable listen.

Guenter

#268562 - 11/15/14 08:05 AM [User Showcase] Re: Quest [Re: RnAM]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

A very interesting and enjoyable journey. Especially liked the arrangement of all the different vocal parts.

Josie

#268594 - 11/15/14 12:54 PM [User Showcase] Re: Quest [Re: RnAM]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Really cool song!! Love the interplay between the vocal parts. I love that resonator track-I've used it once and will definitely come back to it. Fits very well in this song. Beyond all your cool songs, your video making continues to get more elaborate. Good stuff!! Take care. Greg

#268607 - 11/15/14 02:32 PM [User Showcase] Re: Quest [Re: Pat Marr]
RnAM Offline
Veteran

Hi Patt,

Well... in the meantime you've learned that this was not my first song.
Just some other remarks:
I sleep very well, never had any problem as far as that's concerned. I can sleep standing right up and leaning against a wall if necessary.
I'm not a trained musician, let be classically, but I've had a very good education and also was taught about composers etc. There's a lot of classical music I love.
As for the video: I took the parts from sites that offer video's free to use. But there are also video's for which I use my own footage.
So far...so good.
And again.... blush blush blush
Anne-Marie

YouTube Channel

#268609 - 11/15/14 02:34 PM [User Showcase] Re: Quest [Re: gibson]
RnAM Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: gibson
Rob and Anne Marie

As Mario D says
Quote:

Great job on this!

I can add no more.

Alyn

What can I add more than: thanks a lot!

Anne-Marie

YouTube Channel

#268610 - 11/15/14 02:36 PM [User Showcase] Re: Quest [Re: Scott C]
RnAM Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Scottt709
This was an awesome song on two counts. The music, lyrics, playing and singing were awesome and your video was breath taking. Incredible

Hi Scott,

Thanks a lot.
You may breathe out now!

Anne-Marie

YouTube Channel

#268611 - 11/15/14 02:42 PM [User Showcase] Re: Quest [Re: floyd jane]
RnAM Offline
Veteran

Genesis, King Crimson, Yes.... blush blush blush
Glad you like it.
Thanks for this comment, really appreciate it.
Yes, maybe the dobro is loud, but I loved it so much!

Anne-Marie

YouTube Channel

#268618 - 11/15/14 03:13 PM [User Showcase] Re: Quest [Re: RnAM]
Loc: Helsinki, Finland
dani48 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Hi, Rob and Anne- Marie !

This was really a groundbraking
type of melody ! This is by no
means an easy song or arrangement !
I can tell you it would have taken
me years to get those progressions
in my head !!!! What a display of
true musicianship !!!:))

Cheers
Dani

#268653 - 11/16/14 05:17 AM [User Showcase] Re: Quest [Re: RnAM]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

R&AM, this has a very interesting melody. It has a path I never would have thought of. Therefore I find it quite interesting. I am always on my own quest to find new directions in music, and you two are giving me a lot to think about. Well produced and sung as always. I enjoyed the intertwining of your voices. Great video. Tom

#268716 - 11/16/14 02:19 PM [User Showcase] Re: Quest [Re: boehm]
RnAM Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Rob and Anne-Marie,

it's all been said.
I especially like the interaction between vocals and background vocals.
Enjoyable listen.

Guenter

Thanks Guenter!

YouTube Channel

#268718 - 11/16/14 02:20 PM [User Showcase] Re: Quest [Re: Sundance]
RnAM Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Sundance
A very interesting and enjoyable journey. Especially liked the arrangement of all the different vocal parts.

Josie

Thanks Josie!

YouTube Channel

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
How I Use Band-in-a-Box® to Create Shots/Chops

Band-in-a-Box® user Henry Clarke creates a lot of great songs with Band-in-a-Box®, and he's shared his steps for creating the shots/chops within his recent song Lonely in a Crowd.

To watch Henry's video, click here.

Have your own program tip to share? Feel free to post it to our Tips & Tricks forum.

#TipTuesday

Uncommon RealTracks Instruments for Band-in-a-Box®

Today is Uncommon Instrument Awareness Day.

Examples of "uncommon instruments" include anything from Spoons to the Wheelharp to the Singing Ringing Tree, and more!
(there's probably more instruments out there that we DON'T know than we DO know)

Although our RealTracks collection doesn't include many 'uncommon instruments', we do offer some pretty unique choices!

On top of the usual varieties we offer for Piano, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Clarinet, Bass, Tuba, Trumpet, Trombone, and more - our RealTracks library also offers a nice selection of Shakuhachi and Kalimba - there's even a Koto RealTrack included in Set 212!

Kalimba: RealTracks Set 271
Koto: RealTracks Set 212
Shakuhachi: RealTracks Sets 193 & 212

What's the most surprising RealTrack Instrument that you've come across?

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Portuguese for Windows is Here!

Existem mais de 50 novos recursos no Band-in-a-Box® 2020! Existem aprimoramentos no RealTracks (RealTracks vocais com som mais suave, RealTracks Engrossados, Substitutos de RealTracks e MultiFrases). A maioria dos RealDrums agora possui RealCharts (com notação de bateria precisa). Há um novo navegador de artistas do RealTracks para encontrar informações/biografias/links/listas de RealTracks em todos os artistas. Um novo Navegador de recursos permite que o usuário novo ou "esquecido" encontre e use facilmente a maioria dos recursos/teclas de atalho/documentos em uma única janela. Equalizar Tempoaprimoramentos na Seleção de Músicas, baixo/bateria ou apenas bateria nas introduções automáticas, 3.400 títulos adicionados, aprimoramentos no MusicXML, visualização de guitarra para "Canhotos" e "Estudantes", aprimoramentos de arrastar e soltar, exibição de várias janelas do Interpretador de Acordes de Áudio e muito mais!

COMPRE/ATUALIZE, & BAIXE AGORA!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Mac Update Ready!

Just because Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac is here doesn't mean we've forgotten our 2019 users!

If you're still using Band-in-a-Box® 2019, make sure you download the latest patch update (b324) for an updated splash screen (macOS 10.12 and 10.13 users), smoother Song Titles dialog, access to your (purchased) RealTracks Set 328, and we've corrected the reported issue with opening songs from older versions of Band-in-a-Box in the 2019 version.

Learn more about this patch and download it here.

Review - Loops-with-Style PAK 2 for Band-in-a-Box® 2020

"Dr. Dave" Walker is at it again! You may remember his recent reviews of both Band-in-a-Box 2020 for Mac and Xtra Styles PAK 9 - now he has something to say about our Loops-with-Style PAK 2 - check it out: Click here to read...

With money being tight for most musicians, this is a wonderful gift for those on a limited budget. At $29, it offers months and years of fun and experimentation, bringing many ideas to fruition as songs with enough variation so that your audience doesn’t jump to "aw, that's a computer!" while still keeping the power of the software in your hands.
-"Dr. Dave" Walker

Thank you again Dr. Dave for the great review!

Learn more about Loops-with-Style PAKs: Windows | Mac

Band-in-a-Box® - My New Favorite Thing

Did you know we have a My Favorite Things forum? We encourage you to share your favorite features in Band-in-a-Box and RealBand there, along with what features you use the most and why - we LOVE getting feedback!

Like the latest post from Tangmo:

My New Favorite Thing - Extra Style PAK #9 with Loop Pack #2

I set up an eight bar progression with some simple pushes, shots, holds, and rests for reference. Then I started auditioning styles--Three hours later, I am invigorated, inspired, and just plain smiling big. Really CHOICE! From "down to earth" to eclectic, this is a really fun pak.

Great job, folks!

Thanks Tangmo!

Learn more about Loops-with-Style PAKs: Windows | Mac

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAKs: Windows | Mac

Refresh Your Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box 2020 to the latest build 725 for Windows today! This free update acknowledges song memo edits when saving your work, resolves step-advance within the Big Piano window, revives a killed audio track, and more!

Just like our recent Mac patch, the DAW Plugin has been updated too! We've added "insert" and "delete" options into the chord sheet context menu and addressed 20+ reported 'bugs'!

Learn more & update today!

Forum Stats
32597 Members
68 Forums
65503 Topics
555369 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
Kevinuser, Beej, michaeldg3, lencrawl42, Provipgroup

32597 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
MarioD 191