You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#269463 - 11/22/14 10:34 AM [User Showcase] Sometimes You Gotta Go Fishin'
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Sometimes, you just gotta let the BAND go full steam ahead..

And...

SOMETIMES YOU GOTTA GO FISHIN'

get up in the morning throw some coffee in the tank
gotta hit the cleaners, gotta make it to the bank
red lights, stop signs, driving like a jerk
pedal to the metal, cause i gotta get to work
sometimes you forget what you've been missin'
sometimes you just gotta go fishin'

lunchtime, run around, gotta grab a bite
fast food's too slow, i got no appetite
stop'n'go.. texaco.. gotta get some gas
bait shop, eavesdrop, how to catch a bass
sometimes you've got to be reported missin'
'cause sometimes you just gotta go fishin'

sometimes you just gotta kick back
   throw a cold six in an old paper sack
   dust off the pole, head to the lake
   spend the day dreamin' and wishin'
   'cause sometimes....you gotta go fishin'

work's done, gettin' home, daylight almost gone
i gotta lead the little league, i gotta mow the lawn
phone's ringing off the hook, i ain't got the time
gotta find a tackle box, gotta wet a line
sometimes you've got to alter your condition
'cause sometimes you just gotta go fishin'

sometimes you just gotta kick back
   throw a cold six in an old paper sack
   dust off the pole, head to the lake
   spend the day dreamin' and wishin'
   'cause sometimes....you gotta go fishin'

sometimes....you just gotta go fishin'

Harmonies by the janettes
Janice Merritt - You are THE BEST!!!
(Bud - you, too! - Thanks for your behind-the-scenes!)

And the rest of the BAND....

RealDrums in Song: NashvilleEven8^1-a:Sidestick, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride
RealTracks in style: 1693:Bass, Electric, CountryDrivin8thsA-B Ev 150
RealTracks in style: 1697:Pedal Steel, Rhythm CountryDrivin8ths Ev 150
RealTracks in song: 1718:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm TexasBluesRockStraightBrent Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 845:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm CountryRockPopping Ev 120 (A:sync)
RealTracks in song: 2151:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm NewOrleansBoogieKevin Ev 165
RealTracks in song: 2152:Piano, Acoustic, Soloist NewOrleansBoogieKevin Ev 165
RealTracks in song: 1733:Guitar, Electric, Soloist TexasBluesRockNRollBrent Ev 165

Comments encouraged.
Thanks for listening.

floyd

#269494 - 11/22/14 11:40 AM [User Showcase] Re: Sometimes You Gotta Go Fishin' [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Canary Islands - Spain
Rafa T Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Canary Islands - Spain
No surprise here, you make it again, another great song, another great performance, another fantastic arrangement with the realtracks, another absolutly profesional mix...

You are the gold man!

Congratulations...again ;-)

#269503 - 11/22/14 11:50 AM [User Showcase] Re: Sometimes You Gotta Go Fishin' [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

This is a really exhilarating song, Floyd! It is a bit of a departure from some of your recent "listening-room singer-song-writer" offerings... this one is all band stand and beer breath... LIVE music, you know what ah'm talkin' 'bout?

And given the topic, I can't imagine this song failing to drive any crowd to the dance floor. It might even inspire some geeks to go fishin'. (OK, maybe not. Geeks is geeks.)

The cadence of the lyrics is reminiscent of Eddie Rabbit's "Drivin' My Life Away"... a song that is a perennial favorite with gigging musicians... exactly because it always fills the dance floor.

Floyd, you have that magic! My soul is in greater danger of being traded to the devil than it was after the last song. I really can't believe how quickly you transition from one masterful work to the next. It boggles my mind. The selection of your word choices in these lyrics... "Drivin' like a jerk... gotta get to work" That's awesome!

And the way you used drums at the start of the song... even as a long term user, I can't understand how you pulled that off. I think that after adding up all my favorite things (can everything be the favorite? Apparently!) my "favorite" favorite part of this is the ENERGY! That doesn't happen automatically... you have to understand how the elements of composition build tension... and you da master, Floyd!

PS... this is one of your songs that I'd like permission to cover

#269554 - 11/22/14 01:04 PM [User Showcase] Re: Sometimes You Gotta Go Fishin' [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Fun song!! Love the playfulness, love the clever rhymes, love the sentiment-Ain't it the truth! Same kind of message as my song The Right Lane of Life. As usual, a real treat to listen to! Take care. Greg

#269562 - 11/22/14 01:12 PM [User Showcase] Re: Sometimes You Gotta Go Fishin' [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: South Carolina
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
This one fits your vocals very well and captures the live band feel. Enjoyed it.

Charlie

#269628 - 11/22/14 03:01 PM [User Showcase] Re: Sometimes You Gotta Go Fishin' [Re: floyd jane]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

That's what I'm talkin about!!! A smokin toe-tapper! This is the quintessential lesson in picking out real tracks to fit the song. Look at all the different genres used- Country drivin, Country Rock, New Orleans, Texas Blues. Now that is a smorgasbord of American styles. Arranged with great skill-i.e. the bang-bang double stops at the end of the choruses. Some great lines ( drivin like a jerk ) Masterful on all fronts-Writing,arranging,vocals, production,mix. You've done it again! Great listen, Tom

#269643 - 11/22/14 03:47 PM [User Showcase] Re: Sometimes You Gotta Go Fishin' [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: York, England
ROG Offline
Veteran

Loc: York, England
Hi Floyd.

Now some might call it Country, but that's what I call Rock & Roll!

Classic bass line, great guitar work and basically a first class song.

Great vocals again by both you and Janice.

Had to re-wind to pick up the phrase at the end, which Tom obviously caught too. A nice touch.

ROG.

#269655 - 11/22/14 04:28 PM [User Showcase] Re: Sometimes You Gotta Go Fishin' [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Helsinki, Finland
dani48 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Hi, Floyd !:))

It is completely impossible
to sit still listening to this
rocker !:))))) huh....you
really got me sweatn´man.....

My favorite rocker of yours...

Cheers
Dani

#269732 - 11/22/14 08:10 PM [User Showcase] Re: Sometimes You Gotta Go Fishin' [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Iowa
JPeden73 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
Wow. Great song. I agree with Charlie, really sounds like a live band. Impressive.

Thanks for sharing it.

-Jeff

#269779 - 11/23/14 02:28 AM [User Showcase] Re: Sometimes You Gotta Go Fishin' [Re: tommyad]
90 dB Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: tommyad
That's what I'm talkin about!!! A smokin toe-tapper! This is the quintessential lesson in picking out real tracks to fit the song. Look at all the different genres used- Country drivin, Country Rock, New Orleans, Texas Blues. Now that is a smorgasbord of American styles. Arranged with great skill-i.e. the bang-bang double stops at the end of the choruses. Some great lines ( drivin like a jerk ) Masterful on all fronts-Writing,arranging,vocals, production,mix. You've done it again! Great listen, Tom

What he said. A lot of work went into this bad boy.

That reminds me. The specks are bitin'. grin

Regards,

Bob

https://90dbband.bandcamp.com/

https://soundcloud.com/90-db

#269817 - 11/23/14 06:30 AM [User Showcase] Re: Sometimes You Gotta Go Fishin' [Re: Pat Marr]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Rafa T
No surprise here, you make it again, another great song, another great performance, another fantastic arrangement with the realtracks, another absolutly profesional mix...

You are the gold man!

Congratulations...again ;-)

Rafa - thank you for all of that...

Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
This is a really exhilarating song, Floyd! It is a bit of a departure from some of your recent "listening-room singer-song-writer" offerings... this one is all band stand and beer breath... LIVE music, you know what ah'm talkin' 'bout?

And given the topic, I can't imagine this song failing to drive any crowd to the dance floor. It might even inspire some geeks to go fishin'. (OK, maybe not. Geeks is geeks.)

The cadence of the lyrics is reminiscent of Eddie Rabbit's "Drivin' My Life Away"... a song that is a perennial favorite with gigging musicians... exactly because it always fills the dance floor.

Floyd, you have that magic! My soul is in greater danger of being traded to the devil than it was after the last song. I really can't believe how quickly you transition from one masterful work to the next. It boggles my mind. The selection of your word choices in these lyrics... "Drivin' like a jerk... gotta get to work" That's awesome!

And the way you used drums at the start of the song... even as a long term user, I can't understand how you pulled that off. I think that after adding up all my favorite things (can everything be the favorite? Apparently!) my "favorite" favorite part of this is the ENERGY! That doesn't happen automatically... you have to understand how the elements of composition build tension... and you da master, Floyd!

PS... this is one of your songs that I'd like permission to cover

Pat - What a nice review!... Thanks.. The Band is darn good at doing the rockin' thang...

The opening drums don't take a lot... just a bit of thought as to what you want to happen. I grabbed a "flourish" from the drum track and pasted it (on another track in my DAW) where the count-in would normally be. The first couple of lines are then sung over a kick on each beat - a sample that I pasted in that extra track - directly under where the kick or snare happens in the drum track, so you get that human timing - and, of course, turn the drum track off during that section - and a flourish coming out of that into the next line..

You are welcome to cover this! Let me know if you want the SGU...

#269841 - 11/23/14 07:54 AM [User Showcase] Re: Sometimes You Gotta Go Fishin' [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Woodstock, NY
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: Woodstock, NY
Floyd,

You are really on fire... Another winner!

Bob

#269854 - 11/23/14 08:31 AM [User Showcase] Re: Sometimes You Gotta Go Fishin' [Re: floyd jane]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Floyd,

+1 Love all the instruments in the arrangement and the vocals are infectious with fun. Sounds great to me.

Makes me wanna go fishin and I don't even like to fish.

Josie

#269875 - 11/23/14 09:27 AM [User Showcase] Re: Sometimes You Gotta Go Fishin' [Re: floyd jane]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

the more I listen to this song, the more impressed I am Floyd. You have been nailing the song writing thang for the whole time you've been on this forum.. even longer... you were good before you came here... but THIS song really shows an incredible mastery of the software too!

You intuitively know what the song needs to have, and where it needs to reside.. and now you also have the technical ability to figure out how to make things happen that are way over and above what the software does automatically!

I think of all the nay-sayers who act as though using BIAB is a cop-out.. as though you press a button and a masterpiece emerges the first time. What you are doing here is high creativity in a bunch of different directions at the same time!

You wear all the hats, and you wear them well. The industry savvy to understand what elements need to exist, and how the whole project needs to develop cohesively in order to achieve the desired effect... all that is only PART of what sets you apart from the rest of us.

#269892 - 11/23/14 12:07 PM [User Showcase] Re: Sometimes You Gotta Go Fishin' [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: The Netherlands
RnAM Offline
Veteran

Loc: The Netherlands
Hi Floyd,

A very catchy and energetic song.
This one stands like a rock!
Janice's backing vocals are first class.
And having had both a grandfather and a father who went fishing very often and a son who likes it too, I can surely relate to this....

Anne-Marie

RnAM Homepage (completely restyled)
YouTube Channel

#269917 - 11/23/14 01:26 PM [User Showcase] Re: Sometimes You Gotta Go Fishin' [Re: floyd jane]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

cool tune.... It rocks ....that's for sure.

Yep.... it's not about the fishing so much... just the disconnect from society it provides....I fish on occasion but more often I enjoy sitting in a tree with a bow or a gun and just enjoying the day..... no phone, no worries, and the only time clock is the sun going down...

Yep, great song....

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#269944 - 11/23/14 03:26 PM [User Showcase] Re: Sometimes You Gotta Go Fishin' [Re: tommyad]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Fun song!! Love the playfulness, love the clever rhymes, love the sentiment-Ain't it the truth! Same kind of message as my song The Right Lane of Life. As usual, a real treat to listen to! Take care. Greg

Thanks, Greg. (So glad you are here!!!)

Originally Posted By: c_fogle
This one fits your vocals very well and captures the live band feel. Enjoyed it.
Charlie

Thanks, Charlie... whatcha working on?

Originally Posted By: tommyad

Tom - appreciate that... it is amazing what PG has provided for us to use.... if only I could go back 20 years and take this all with me...

#270034 - 11/24/14 12:27 AM [User Showcase] Re: Sometimes You Gotta Go Fishin' [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: wales
gibson Offline
Veteran

Loc: wales
WOW!

I'm like Foghorn Leghorn here trying form a sensible sentence!

That song RAWKED,and as Josie wrote it makes me wanna go fishing and I NEVER got into that as a kid, too wet and miserable 'round here!

In my live playing days I would have given my soul to play in a band like that, on piano YEH!!!!!

That IS what I am talking about

"standing ovation"

Alyn

#270087 - 11/24/14 05:52 AM [User Showcase] Re: Sometimes You Gotta Go Fishin' [Re: JPeden73]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Floyd.
Now some might call it Country, but that's what I call Rock & Roll!
Classic bass line, great guitar work and basically a first class song.
Great vocals again by both you and Janice.
Had to re-wind to pick up the phrase at the end, which Tom obviously caught too. A nice touch.

ROG.

ROG - thanks for the delightful visit....

Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Floyd !:))
It is completely impossible
to sit still listening to this
rocker !:))))) huh....you
really got me sweatn´man.....

My favorite rocker of yours...Cheers Dani

Thanks, Dani! Keep dancin' & rockin'!....

Originally Posted By: JPeden73
Wow. Great song. I agree with Charlie, really sounds like a live band. Impressive.

Thanks for sharing it. -Jeff

Thanks, Jeff - appreciate that....

#270122 - 11/24/14 09:21 AM [User Showcase] Re: Sometimes You Gotta Go Fishin' [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi Floyd,

I'm still out of breath from listening. I think just gotta go fishin'.
This is an earworm. Great performance. Regards to Janice.

Guenter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® New Features!

Our "Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content!" video is now ready! Get to know all about the newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2019: Click here to watch...

We have listed a table of contents for this video, you'll see it within the YouTube video description, or by visiting this forum post.

RealBand 2019 - A New Look!

Have you opened up your RealBand 2019 yet? You may notice that we've given it a fresh new look! In fact, there are now 3 different looks to RealBand.

See for yourself! Within the program, visit Options | Icon Set and choose from: Classic, Modern 1, or Modern 2.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows - Choosing to Run 64-bit or 32-bit

We heard you! With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows we've included the BRAND NEW 64-bit version of Band-in-a-Box®, which works well with the latest plugins and 64-bit OS features! Because not everyone has a 64-bit computer, we include both the 64-bit and 32-bit versions with your purchase - you choose which one to use!

By default, when you install your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows the 32-bit version will run.

The steps to run the 64-bit version are simple! Just head to your "bb" folder and choose the "bbw64" icon - you'll notice that the Band-in-a-Box® "splash screen" will state "64-bit" as the program opens.
(and if you open the 32-bit version, the "splash screen" will state "32-bit")

Still not certain which version you're running? Within the program, go to Help | About Band-in-a-Box - it'll either state:

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2019 (604)
<--- the number in brackets is the build number - this will change as new patch updates are released
64 bit application

or:

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2019 (604)
<--- the number in brackets is the build number - this will change as new patch updates are released
32 bit application

We hope everyone who can is enjoying their Band-in-a-Box® 2019 64-bit version for Windows!

NEW! Style-style-style Additions and Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows!

With over 64 new features and enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019, we've made sure to add to, enhance, and update some of the Style features within the program: StylePicker, StyleMaker, and Song Titles browser within the StylePicker!

StylePicker Enhancements:
-If the style list needs rebuild, it tells you that within the StylePicker, instead of a message that requires a response.
-The rebuild is faster than before by 75%. It takes 1/4 of the time now.
-While the style list is being rebuilt, you can see the progress inside the StylePicker.
-The style list can be filtered by a specific RealTracks/RealDrums/MIDI SuperTracks or RealTracks/MIDI SuperTracks in a certain number range.
-You can filter the style list by a specific Xtra Styles PAK.
-The dialog to select an Xtra Styles PAK has a button to take you to the PG Music website that shows information about Xtra Styles PAKs.
-The StylePicker can list all styles (including N/A styles) in the default display.
-The Set number display is improved, including sort by type and Xtra styles.

StyleMaker Improvements:

-The new MIDI velocity offset allows you to make styles with altered loudness for MIDI tracks.
-Styles can be saved with information like a memo, examples, genres, and more, which will be displayed in the StylePicker.
-You can import information from another style. This is useful when you are making a similar style.
-A style can have a huge number of RealTracks (up to 70!) because the StyleMaker now supports RealTracks multi/medley feature, which allows a single track to have up to 10 simultaneous playing of RealTracks.

Song Titles Browser Enhancement

-We’ve added 300 more song titles including requests from users, so there are now over 10,600 titles.
-The chord density filter is available, and it’s also displayed in the memo.
-The chord complexity filter is available.

Review all the new features of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 here.

NEW! Traditional Celtic Tunes with Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly

Purchase Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows during our special (which ends December 31st), and you can add the 49-PAK to your order for just $49!

Among the great Add-ons included in the 49-PAK is our Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly, which includes 18 traditional Celtic tunes! You'll find beautifully performed songs like Boys of Bluehill, The Cliffs of Moher, Harvest Home, Rolling in the Rye Glass, and more!

The Celtic RealTracks backing up performances by Geoff Kelly sound amazing, and so do the duets with previous Artist Performance musician Daniel Lapp (on fiddle)! Listen to all the demos for these Artists Performances near the bottom of our Bonus PAKs page, here.

Here's a taste: Demo: Rolling in the Rye Grass

The Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Bonus PAKs!

Purchase Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows during our special (which ends December 31st), and you'll receive a FREE Bonus PAK overflowing with great Add-ons, including MIDI SuperTracks Set 28: Pop Basses with 6 MIDI SuperTracks, 21 RealDrums Transcriptions, 120 guitar licks and riffs in Instrumental Studies 7: Brent Mason 12-key CountryPop Guitar Licks, and 15 new MIDI Styles!

Or, upgrade it to the 49-PAK for just $49 and you'll add 40 UNRELEASED RealTracks, 10 "Low Man" & Re-amped "12-Key" Metal/Thrash Electric Guitar RealTracks, 6 more MIDI SuperTracks with Set 29: More Organ, Piano & Accordion, 120 more guitar licks and riffs with Instrumental Studies 8: Brent Mason 12-key Train-Beat Licks, 15 more MIDI Styles, and Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly!

Watch the video highlighting our 49-PAK here, or listen to demos and learn more here.

Free Bonus PAK Contents:
-Look Ma! More MIDI 1
-21 RealDrums Transcriptions
-MIDI SuperTracks Set 28: Pop Basses
-Instrumental Studies 7: Brent Mason 12-key CountryPop Guitar Licks

2019 49-PAK Contents:
-40 Bonus RealTracks!
-10 "Low Man" and Re-amped "12-Key" Metal/Thrash Electric Guitar RealTracks
-Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly
-Instrumental Studies 8: Brent Mason 12-key Train-Beat Licks
-Look Ma! More MIDI 2
-MIDI SuperTracks Set 29: More Organ, Piano & Accordion

Video - Band-in-a-Box® 2019 - Everything You Need to Know in Under 6 Minutes!

Get to know the new Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows with our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 - Everything You Need to Know in Under 6 Minutes! video: Click here to watch...

Forum Stats
28406 Members
58 Forums
55136 Topics
459179 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
ecnal, Jurassic, Derek Deatherage, poyol247, otcpub

28405 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 330
Pipeline 308