Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#271874 - 12/01/14 11:16 PM [User Showcase] NEW SONG POST: Scotch and Cigarettes
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Dear PG music community, this is a song inspired by a film, a particular scene in a film which I found very emotionally moving. Along with music, film is my favorite medium. When the two interact correctly (Cameron Crowe, Martin Scorsese), it can be emotionally orgasmic. I wrote this song after the film was out, decreasing my chances for placing it from 1/10,000,000 to zero (Oh well!). There are some issues with the mix (too bright, french horn too loud, strings too soft, too much reverb). Those are my clearest observations but I'd love to hear yours, and any other feedback you'd like to share. The piano is Liverpool piano, I will get the name of the bass, which I feel couldn't have worked better if played just for the track. Orchestra is a combo of East West Silver and Miroslav (changed formats in the middle of the song). Thanks for all your encouragement as of late. Take care. Greg

https://soundcloud.com/gjohnson-2/artistmaster1

Scotch and cigarettes (George Valentin’s theme)

If anyone should ever ask. you can say you knew me when
My star was shining bright, the world was in my hands
My life was filled with wonder, every moment I embraced
Though I fell so far, I tried to fall with grace

But don’t shed no tears for me; It seems I made my choice
Every artist has his fate; I just never found my voice
But as my star was fading, in surrender to the night
You arose to shine a brighter light

Now I’m alone, on these long afternoons
And my days in the sun seem as distant as the moon
I wander the past, and I sift through my regrets
Through the filter of Scotch and cigarettes

Was there a sign I might have missed? Was it arrogance or pride?
Or how the artist must insist on being true to what’s inside
Or maybe it was destiny and I found my rightful place
Just to shed that light upon your face

Now I’m alone…

#271885 - 12/02/14 02:08 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Scotch and Cigarettes [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Greg.. is this song really your composition?? Not a remix of a movie theme?
I ask because, if it's yours, I am totally and irrevocably blown away!!

The orchestration is as pro as anything I've ever heard outside a movie theater. And the lyrics are so metropolitan and clever that I simply would not have expected to see something of this caliber on a music hobbyists forum! I was going to mention lines I thought were particularly inspired... but when I went back to your lyrics to pick them out, it ended up being all of them! The rhyme between REGRETS and CIGARETTES is made all the better by the context of the story in which you lead up to the line! VERY slick!

The chord pattern and melody are absolutely perfect for the type of movie theme you've created here! As far as I'm aware, this is the first song of this type that's been posted to the forum, and Man oh man! It is a good one!

If there are any changes that would make the song better, someone else will have to make them... because all I hear is success! In summary, this ended up being an 11 exclamation point review! I'm not sure what that means, but it seems significant somehow. ;-)

#271892 - 12/02/14 02:59 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Scotch and Cigarettes [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: wales
gibson Offline
Veteran

Loc: wales
Greg,

That is a masterpiece!

If only you knew but that could be the song behind my life crazy

The piano is beautiful, the orchestration sublime. All in all that song, IMHO, is faultless. It sounded perfect so I can see no need for any changes.

I am enjoying your works so much.
Thank you for sharing

Alyn

#271904 - 12/02/14 04:18 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Scotch and Cigarettes [Re: Greg Johnson]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

That is an amazing song. Well written in every aspect.

Love the hook...

Pat & Gibson said it perfectly.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#271908 - 12/02/14 05:11 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Scotch and Cigarettes [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Florida
90 dB Offline
Veteran

Great stuff Greg. Orchestration is elegant.

Regards,

Bob

#271911 - 12/02/14 05:44 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Scotch and Cigarettes [Re: Greg Johnson]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Greg, First of all and without question this is a very important contribution to the forum. As Pat says "I simply would not have expected to see something of this caliber on a music hobbyists forum!" I agree with him that the lyrics are very sophisticated and metropolitan. What sets this apart is the fact that this could be set in movie right now and it shows the power and potential of BiaB as much as anything ever posted here. Brilliantly written, arranged and sung. Oh yeah the voice-WOW! I hesitate to list any nits as this is just so gorgeous, but here goes. 1.) The drums are too bright 2.) Too much vocal reverb 3) I know this is part of your sound- but I wonder if the vocal was a little less bright, a little less presence, could it retain the intimacy that you capture so eloquently. Again- this is just great as it stands and in no way do I wish to detract from this wonderful piece of art. Bravo!!! Tom

Edited by tommyad (12/02/14 07:03 AM)

#271913 - 12/02/14 05:51 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Scotch and Cigarettes [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Greg, We could parse this song out and laud
you on every aspect of it. But that would
do our listening pleasure a disservice as
it's hard to get away from the totality.

The song is simply spectacular. Classy is
perhaps overly used but that's the word
that best defines it for us. A class production,
vocal and write.

What a way to start our day!

J&B

Check out our BiaB SoundCloud songs!
J&B YouTube Sampler
J&B Website
Our album "All Over The Map" is on Apple Music, Spotify and others.

#271926 - 12/02/14 06:46 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Scotch and Cigarettes [Re: Pat Marr]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: tommyad
Greg, First of all and without question this is a very important contribution to the forum. As Pat says "I simply would not have expected to see something of this caliber on a music hobbyists forum!" I agree with him that lyrics are very sophisticated and metropolitan. What sets this apart is the fact that this could be set in movie right now and it shows the power and potential of BiaB as much as anything ever posted here. Brilliantly written, arranged and sung. Oh yeah the voice-WOW! I hesitate to list any nits as this is just so gorgeous, but here goes. 1.) The drums are too bright 2.) Too much vocal reverb 3) I know this is part of your sound- but I wonder if the vocal was a little less bright, a little less presence, could it retain the intimacy that you capture so eloquently. Again- this is just great as it stands and in no way do I wish to detract from this wonderful piece of art. Bravo!!! Tom

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
The song is simply spectacular. Classy is
perhaps overly used but that's the word
that best defines it for us. A class production,
vocal and write.

Greg...

Tom & J&B said it already. But I will no doubt repeat much of it.

This is SONGWRITING at the highest level. Not a word, not a syllable out of place. An elegant melody - the perfect match. Gorgeous in every regard.

Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
...the lyrics are so metropolitan and clever...I was going to mention lines I thought were particularly inspired... but when I went back to your lyrics to pick them out, it ended up being all of them!

Ah... what the heck... here are my favorite lines:

"If anyone should ever ask. you can say you knew me when
My star was shining bright, the world was in my hands
My life was filled with wonder, every moment I embraced
Though I fell so far, I tried to fall with grace

But don’t shed no tears for me; It seems I made my choice
Every artist has his fate; I just never found my voice
But as my star was fading, in surrender to the night
You arose to shine a brighter light

Now I’m alone, on these long afternoons
   And my days in the sun seem as distant as the moon
   I wander the past, and I sift through my regrets
   Through the filter of Scotch and cigarettes

Was there a sign I might have missed? Was it arrogance or pride?
Or how the artist must insist on being true to what’s inside
Or maybe it was destiny and I found my rightful place
Just to shed that light upon your face"

It is too bad Soundcloud doesn't register repeat listens - I added at least 20. I understand that this is inspired by The Artist, but thought your Soundcloud post should have had the "Scotch And Cigarettes" title.

"Through the filter of Scotch and cigarettes"

Man! What a line!

Diana Krall needs to cover this - so that people will search for and find your version.... and marvel...

The orchestration is the best that has ever been put up here. Did you write/create/play the string and horn parts? If not, where did they come from? If so...

The piano sounds great. The drums have a nice snap, a nice presence, perhaps just a touch too much sparkle - other than that, I really like them! which RD?

Your vocal is STUNNINGLY beautiful. I'm not sure the reverb should be "lessened" but there is more high end than it needs. If that were rolled off some, it would still be plenty bright. Like Tom, I do NOT want to take away from how absolutely wonderful the vocal is...

I could sit here and continue spewing superlatives... but I think I'll just go listen another 20 times.

MAJOR Standing O! The jump-outta-your-seat-and-look-around-to-see-everyone-else-agrees-can-you-BELIEVE-this? kind...

floyd

#271937 - 12/02/14 07:21 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Scotch and Cigarettes [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: South Carolina
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
Greg, you've got the experts standing on their heads all the while trying to give this performance a well deserved standing ovation. Not much one can add to that other than to say us little guys are right there with them. I'm sure there are plenty more accolades to come as others listen. Floyd is right, there is no way I can listen to this just once. I've managed to walk away from the computer for a few minutes but keep drifting back and hitting play again.

With the roll out of BIAB 2015, for PGMusic, this song gives them the perfect illustration to showcase their product. This is an absolutely stunning work at every level. Writing, programming, choice of instrumentation, vocals and performance.

You're on notice you've produced a masterpiece, my suggestion is make the small corrections and sit back and enjoy the praise coming your way.

Charlie

Edited by c_fogle (12/02/14 07:24 AM)

#272077 - 12/03/14 06:10 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Scotch and Cigarettes [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi Greg,

as already said this is a masterpiece. And I'm not the only one who can't stop listening.
Let me quote Charlie: "Make the small corrections and sit back and enjoy the praise coming your way."

Guenter

#272113 - 12/03/14 08:08 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Scotch and Cigarettes [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: South Africa
JoanneCooper Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Africa
Hi Greg
Wow! This is totally different to anything of yours that I have listened to thus far. I enjoyed it. My only nit and I see that others wont agree but too me there is too much tops or reverb on the vocal. Not too sure which one I would change though. Great job! Greg.

#272125 - 12/03/14 10:45 AM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Scotch and Cigarettes [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: The Netherlands
RnAM Offline
Veteran

Loc: The Netherlands
Hello Greg,

well, you're definitely in excellent shape with your last two posts!!
A very professional composition, the kind of ballad I like. Very nice classical (popmusic)influences too. The chord on 'sigarets' is so beautiful.

Please keep going at this level!!!

Regards,
Rob

RnAM Homepage (completely restyled)
YouTube Channel

#272200 - 12/03/14 06:07 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Scotch and Cigarettes [Re: Greg Johnson]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Bouncy, bouncy, bouncy

We just listened again and Janice said it reminded her the early 80's movie themes a la Arthur. Great stuff.

J&B

Check out our BiaB SoundCloud songs!
J&B YouTube Sampler
J&B Website
Our album "All Over The Map" is on Apple Music, Spotify and others.

#272209 - 12/03/14 07:47 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Scotch and Cigarettes [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Alabama, USA
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alabama, USA
Hello Greg ...

This will be short and simple, as everything has already been said. This is a wonderful piece of music. Top shelf all the way. Worthy of inclusion in any current movie of the proper context. A helluva lot better than a lot of what we hear behind many movies.

One small nit ... well, more a personal preference, I guess: If it were me (Alan) I would cut back a little on the presence of the track track so we can't occasionally hear you taking in a breath.

We are wowed! Simply fantastic! best to you and good luck with the song ...

Alan & Di

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#272213 - 12/03/14 07:58 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Scotch and Cigarettes [Re: Pat Marr]
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Thanks so much for the flattering review. I always loved these type of emotional ballads. I was so inspired by the film that the first part just came pretty quickly. I really appreciate your consistently thoughtful listens and comments. Take care. Greg

#272215 - 12/03/14 08:00 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Scotch and Cigarettes [Re: gibson]
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Thanks Alyn. Indeed great praise, probably much more than I deserve (but I sure do love it). I always look forward to your posts and am never disappointed. Much appreciate your kind words. Take care. Greg

#272216 - 12/03/14 08:01 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Scotch and Cigarettes [Re: Guitarhacker]
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Thanks so much Herb. A compliment from you always means a lot to me since I know how carefully you listen. Your recent posts have been you best I feel. Keep 'em coming! Take care. Greg

#272218 - 12/03/14 08:04 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Scotch and Cigarettes [Re: 90 dB]
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Thanks Bob. I do love orchestration. I would like to learn more about it, but I always find the instruments so beautiful. Having a realistic orchestra at your fingertips is one of the great technological breakthroughs for musicians. Thanks again! Take care. Greg

#272221 - 12/03/14 08:08 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Scotch and Cigarettes [Re: tommyad]
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Thanks so much Tom. Although people on this site may be technically hobbiests (not making a living at music), I believe the talent, of which you are a prime example, is enormous. The program does open a lot of possibilities for a person like me who isn't much of a player. I think all your nits are right on. This was kind of the first mix that captured the song but I plan to tweak it somewhat. Your recent post MORE is still one of the very best I've heard in a long time, here or anywhere else! Take care. Greg

#272222 - 12/03/14 08:11 PM [User Showcase] Re: NEW SONG POST: Scotch and Cigarettes [Re: Janice & Bud]
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

J and B, thanks so much for the overly kind words! I really appreciate your kindness, and your positive presence on the forum, not to mention the fact that I love your music. Thanks again! Take care. Greg

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® Drum Features!

Today is National Drummer Day!
(not to be confused with National Hug a Drummer Day, which is October 10th)

Band-in-a-Box® is a great resource for drummers! Practice with an on-demand back-up band, learn from the Pro's with RealDrums notation (RealCharts, new with version 2019), MIDI drums notation, or play in the Drum Kit Window!

Not a drummer? Add drums to your Band-in-a-Box® project with RealDrums! Whether you're looking for Bluegrass, Blues, Bossa, Country, Dance, Dixieland, Folk, Funk, HipHop, Jazz, Latin, Metal, Pop, RnB, Rock, Soul, Techno, Traditional, Waltz, or World (and variations within) - you'll definitely find what you're looking for in our RealDrums library - there are over 500 available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac Build 315 Update Available!

Attention Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac users - a new FREE patch update (build 315) is available!
Review details and download here

Summary of changes for build 315 (Nov 15, 2019):

Fixed: Exporting MusicXML files was not working.
Fixed: When using "Auto-Hand split Piano track" feature, exported MIDI files contain wrong note durations on the Piano track.
Fixed: Note-based lyrics were not included when exporting MIDI files.
Fixed: User should be prompted to save their song when exiting, if they had added or removed plugins.
Fixed: The Record Audio dialog always says “Track type is Stereo” even if the track type is mono.
Fixed: The [Audio Options…] button in the Record Audio dialog was launching the Audio Devices dialog instead of the Audio Settings dialog.
Fixed: Loops dialog title bar displays wrong track name.
Fixed: Large patch map files are not completely loaded (were limited to 1985 patches).
Fixed: Notation context menu > Edit Section Text… did not do anything.
Fixed: Notation context menu > Insert Section Text… did not do anything.

My Favorite Things - Nudge Chords in Band-in-a-Box®

Love this time saving feature.

Ever fill in the chordsheet fully or for part of song, and then discover you want to add or take away an extra beat or more somewhere in the chordsheet.

Nudge chords (melody) from the Edit Menu is your friend here, the dialog will give you all the options either to remove or add beats where its needed.

Love it.
-musiclover

To learn more about this feature, read the "Advanced Chord Entry and Editing Features" topic when you click here.

Band-in-a-Box® Video Testimonial & Demo - Rodney Gene Junior

Band-in-a-Box® endorsing artist Rodney Gene Junior has shared his latest User Testimonial and Demo with us, and we LOVE it! Not only does Rodney share with the viewer his enthusiasm for our program, he also shares a few examples of how he uses Band-in-a-Box® too - make sure you check it out!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Testimonial Video - Peter Torpey

Check out our latest Band-in-a-Box video testimonial, which takes using the program to a whole new level! Peter Torpey is a long time program user who has developed a way to work with the program, even though he's visually impaired - and he wants to make sure that others can too!
Click here to watch!

Learn more about Peter here.

View all our video testimonials here.

Want to make your own Testimonial? We'd love to see it! There's information on our Video Testimonials offer here.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac Upgrade & Full Manuals Available!
Happy National Saxophone Day!

Today's the day we say "Happy Birthday" to Adolphe Sax, the creator of the Saxophone!
(Adolphe was born November 6, 1814 - 32 years later he patended his saxophone creation!)

We have 35 different RealTracks Sets available for Band-in-a-Box® that include Saxophone RealTracks !

RealTracks Set 304: Blues Shuffle Horn Section
RealTracks Set 294: Big Band "Crooner Shout" Soloist!
RealTracks Set 266: Jazz & Funk Potpourri
RealTracks Set 265: Crooner Ballad Big Band!
RealTracks Set 264: Crooner Bossa Big Band!
RealTracks Set 244: Jazz Background Horns with Jack Stafford
RealTracks Set 236: Cocktail Jazz Horns!
RealTracks Set 220: Flute and Saxes with Jack Stafford
RealTracks Set 217: Jazz Pollwinners 8 – Jazz Waltz Sax Solos
RealTracks Set 216: Jazz Pollwinners 7 – Swingin' Sax & Guitar Soloing
RealTracks Set 215: Jazz Pollwinners 6 – Sax & Guitar Soloing, Ballads & Bossas
RealTracks Set 209: Rockin' Blues Baritone Sax with Gary Smulyan
RealTracks Set 207: Funky Horns
RealTracks Set 194: Jazz Pollwinners 1: Great Saxes: Phil Woods & Gary
RealTracks Set 189: Blues Baritone Sax with Gary Smulyan
RealTracks Set 188: Slow Background Pop Horn Section
RealTracks Set 183: Country Soloists: Sax and More!
RealTracks Set 176: R&B Horns
RealTracks Set 175: Texas Blues-Rock: Smokin' Blues Sax
RealTracks Set 160: Jazz-Funk Movin'
RealTracks Set 145: Jazz-Funk Breezy
RealTracks Set 127: Groovin' Jazz Funk
RealTracks Set 91: Smooth Jazz - Sax Soloing
RealTracks Set 58: Jazz and Pop Waltzes
RealTracks Set 57: Jazz Swing, Laid Back
RealTracks Set 55: Fast Bebop Jazz
RealTracks Set 54: Slow Jazz Ballad
RealTracks Set 52: Fast Samba
RealTracks Set 51: Slow Bossas and More